Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyguru Addresses Battleground Evil-Lyn and Sorceress Fan Requests

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    In the end, folks may not get this figure changed, but they are letting Mattel know that they don't see this as a proper 2002 Evil Lynn. May not lead to another, more accurate figure down the line, but a lot of folks said we'd never convince Mattel to do classicized version of Keldor's swords, either, and that decision eventually came down the pike.

If nothing else, it tells Mattel that there's an unmet demand here, and they might be able to sell a third version of Evil Lynn.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BCreviews4628 View Post
    Never saw the problem to begin with, these figures are just beautiful IMO.
    Amen to that!
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    In the end, folks may not get this figure changed, but they are letting Mattel know that they don't see this as a proper 2002 Evil Lynn. May not lead to another, more accurate figure down the line, but a lot of folks said we'd never convince Mattel to do classicized version of Keldor's swords, either, and that decision eventually came down the pike.

If nothing else, it tells Mattel that there's an unmet demand here, and they might be able to sell a third version of Evil Lynn.
    Thanks for understanding, Scott.

They can sell a fourth version of Evil-Lyn by repainting this one to Filmation colors.

I think people misunderstand. It's not hate. Battleground Evil-Lyn IS wonderful save her Teela torso, which this variant wasn't supposed to have.

The fans wanted 200X Evil-Lyn in particular because she doesn't wear the Teela leotard. That's the whole point of asking for that particular figure.™

And we aren't trying to get her changed. We know that isn't happening. What can happen is Toyguru saying that they could revisit Battleground Evil-Lyn sometime down the line with the desired change.

I think that would be acceptable to the fans.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; July 27, 2011 at 09:47am.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Person A has problems with a figure.
    Person B has no problem with that figure.
    When they meet in the same forum, it's a controversy, it's an argument or a debate waiting to happen.
    I understand having an opinion, positive or negative, about a figure.

2 opposing viewpoints being expressed is not my problem. Calling it a "controversy" seems a little over the top.

If it's a definitional problem, fine. It just seems kind of silly to me.
    "I SHALL WARN YOU BUT ONCE, EVIL ONE--SPEAK TO ME THE TRUTH 'ERE MY BATTLE AXE FINDS A PLACE TO REST 'TWIXT YOUR FOWL EYES!" -He-Man.

I think it's all well and good for fans to request a further 200X Evil Lynn down the road and I totally support that. As much as I REALLY like this figure, I'd buy a more 200X Evil Lynn because it's a cool look. I like the skull motif on the breastplate. I like the "tails" that drape down the back.

BUT...

I do think people cross a line when they accuse Mattel of outright lying or saying they "screwed up" again. It was a choice and a perfectly valid one, just as it's a choice to put Swift Wind's wings in his body, to not give Sorceress open hands and on and on. I think bringing up what you would prefer to see is great. I think it's downright myopic, however, (and just a bit silly) when one starts talking about ones opinion as if it's the only "good and true" option and starts making assumptions about why the decision was made. Especially if those assumptions magically support said person's opinion that this is a "lesser" choice motivated only by watching the bottom line.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    I do think people cross a line when they accuse Mattel of outright lying or saying they "screwed up" again. It was a choice and a perfectly valid one
    Exactly there is a big difference between the two. Its only "screwed up" to those fans who do not like or have reservations about her design. And they are no more right then those who are fine with her.

The "lying" thing also needs to end, nobody here works officially on the line and has no right to throw that word around. We may not agree with the decisions or use what various employees have said in the past, but unless we work for them in any official capacity we have no way of knowing "the truth".

Also how is this "controversial" Max? Under your guidelines every single figure in the line and everything in life is "controversial" when 2 sides do not agree.

That is not a controversy, that is a disagreement. A controversy borders on a scandal, it would be like if they made Evil Lynn a man or made Sorceress Neon Orange...something so out of the way with no real reasoning behind it.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by mk476 View Post
    I really like Battleground Evil-Lyn, but I do think the time and money spent on her cape could have been used toward creating the actual "dress." Having said that I have no doubt that at some point we will see another Evil-Lyn variant in her 200X dress (and probably using the 2.0 female body.) It is a beautiful figure, but she still has so much more potential.

Sorceress looks perfect to me. I love the blue on the inside of the wings.
    My thoughts exactly!

I believe a year or 2 down the road we will get another Evil-Lyn. TG knows we'll all buy this figure and that when they release a more accurate 200X Evil-Lyn we'll buy her again.
    View my collection and customs HERE!

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Exactly there is a big difference between the two. Its only "screwed up" to those fans who do not like or have reservations about her design. And they are no more right then those who are fine with her.

The "lying" thing also needs to end, nobody here works officially on the line and has no right to throw that word around. We may not agree with the decisions or use what various employees have said in the past, but unless we work for them in any official capacity we have no way of knowing "the truth".

Also how is this "controversial" Max? Under your guidelines every single figure in the line and everything in life is "controversial" when 2 sides do not agree.

That is not a controversy, that is a disagreement. A controversy borders on a scandal, it would be like if they made Evil Lynn a man or made Sorceress Neon Orange...something so out of the way with no real reasoning behind it.
    Hmmm...controversy might be too strong in retrospect.

Maybe you could change "Toyguru Addresses Battleground Evil-Lyn and Sorceress Controversies" to "Toyguru Addresses Battleground Evil-Lyn and Sorceress Creative Decisions".

Yep, i agree too

How many variants of the one figure do we want? I personally don't want a multiple collection of Evil-Lyn's (as much as i like her) as two is enough for me.

I think BG Evil-Lyn is Mattel's compromise for both 200x fans and Filmation fans. It is not ideal for either version, but a little of both versions are combined on this figure. It is probably not likely we will get another version of Evil-Lyn (at least not anytime soon) and this is, in my opinon, the best version thus far. We finally have a flesh colored (more or less) version with a cape and helmetless head.

If Mattel ever does a more accurate Filmation version, I would like to see the same outfit repainted with the Filmation color scheme, but a new helmeted head without the skull. Never was a fan of the skull on her helmet. In every figure version to date, I don't think it comes off well (looks bad or off somehow). If Mattel never does a Filmation Evil-Lyn, this BG Evil-Lyn will suffice and I'm totally fine with it. I actually like this figure and it is a great update to the original Evil-Lyn. This is saying a lot because I'm not a big fan of variants. I for one am really glad Mattel did this figure.

Though the re-paint looks great, I can't help but feel disatisfied. They really should have given her the 200x clothes.

So - I will pass on this one.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Quote Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
    Yep, i agree too

How many variants of the one figure do we want? I personally don't want a multiple collection of Evil-Lyn's (as much as i like her) as two is enough for me.
    It isn't the fan's fault. Mattel should have gotten this one right in the first place since they had the tunic costed in. They could have sculpted a new Teela leotard that swivels.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    While I would prefer if Evil-Lyn had a more 200X tunic (to match her up more with the Faceless One, as depicted in DarkSpecter's picture), and while I do feel the Sorceress has a bit too much blue on the wings, overall I still like both figures a lot as they are and will be happy to get them when they come out.

Having said that, why is it that we are getting an official response to this (comparatively) petty nonsense, and not to the issue of the mispriced subscription information that seems to be missing the inclusion of the quarterly variants? IMO this is a much, MUCH bigger issue that really needs immediate addressing given the limited amount of sign up time for the subs. It would be nice to even just get a response to the effect of him saying that he's looking into it even if he doesn't have an immediate answer right now concerning this issue.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Hmmm...controversy might be too strong in retrospect.

Maybe you could change "Toyguru Addresses Battleground Evil-Lyn and Sorceress Controversies" to "Toyguru Addresses Battleground Evil-Lyn and Sorceress Creative Decisions".
    Yes controversy is a tad overdramatic and works only to rile up people upset at the decisions.

Mattel should have gotten this one right in the first place since they had the tunic costed in. They could have sculpted a new Teela leotard that swivels.
    That would imply they got it wrong, which is your opinion and not everyone else's

I wonder if they went with the essential repaint to be more in line with the story, BG Teela is the mid point between Teela and Sorceress.

BG Evil Lynn is the midpoint between what Evil Lynn and banished/powerless Evil Lynn? She got a cape cause its cold and new colors

It would be nice to see a new tunic that was closer to her father, but at the same time story wise she was only depowered. Outfits in MOTUC change based on their situation. He-Man donned a cloak to go back in time, change Battle Armors for specific fights.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Actually, that brings up a good idea for how they could do a 200X Evil-Lynn in the future. Maybe after the Faceless One dies Evil-Lynn returns to Zalesia with her son and becomes the new protector of the Ram Stone.

This would explain why she is no longer yellow (de-powered) and why her outfit changes to match Faceless One.

At this point, they are saying this line is mapped out to 2020/2021. That's a LONG time. I imagine a new Evil-Lynn will seem like a good idea again at some point. Maybe for the 40th Anniversary?

Disenchanted Toy Hunter 80's Enthusiast's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post

Atta-boy Scott. This is the single best summation to this "argument".

The Teela tunic is good enough for me at the moment.But If/when a new tool is created, I'm all in!

Heroic Warrior
    I think both figures look great! I would have prefered to have gotten a more 200X outfit, but am fine with what we are getting. And Sorceress I think looks absolutely amazing and love the blue tipped wings!

I've seen a couple of posters post how the new outfit was "costed" in that the budget was there for the new outfit. Does anyone not think that maybe the Four Horsemen/Mattel took the savings of this new outfit and simply moved that budget expense to another figure? To add items, details, or tooling to another figure or figures? Most know that not every figure has the same cost to produce. Also is Evil Lyn's new cape a reuse of Carnivus's cape? (the medallion on the front, and wide neck made me think that, although it may be a smaller cape)

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    This is just making me angry with the moronity of it all. The figure's colours are wrong, it's tunic is wrong, its gauntlets are wrong, its' helmeted head is wrong. About the only thing good about it is the unhelmeted head

Does anyone know WHO DESIGNED the 200X Evil-Lyn to start with? Was it a 4H-, Mattel- or MYP-originated design?

If it is true that the messed-up colours and Teela reuse were purely 4H decisions... well, looking at the staction, it wouldn't be shocking, since they reused Teela arm designs and messed up the colours there too. I suspect they simply don't like it, and we all lose out because of it.

Best case for the future: They relent and do a Young Evil-Lyn with 200X tunic, tiaraed flashback head and proper MYP Evil-Lyn colours. Likelihood? Low.

Quote Originally Posted by cbomb23 View Post
    I've seen a couple of posters post how the new outfit was "costed" in that the budget was there for the new outfit. Does anyone not think that maybe the Four Horsemen/Mattel took the savings of this new outfit and simply moved that budget expense to another figure?
    I would have rather had a proper Evil Lyn dress instead of tooling new armor for Hordak so Treadway could stick an ugly dial on it, or a brand new right bicep for Vikor, or the third trophy skull head for Vikor.

Excluding characters who have a reason to (Zodak, Goddess, Keldor, Faker), there isn't another unique figure in this line that shares the same armor with another character. The tooling money should have been spent on Evil Lyn. She's one of the most popular and important characters in the franchise. You understand all this Quarterly Variant figure got was a new hair piece stuck onto the same head? They gave us a cape, but 200x Evil Lyn should not have a cape. So it was a pointless waste of money for this figure that should have been spent on the dress.

The entire point of this variant for most EL fans was to get her out of Teela's reused outfit. Instead they repacked the same outfit and charged us for it a fourth time.
    Last edited by Thrawn29; July 27, 2011 at 01:10pm.

Movie mayhem!
    I tend to agree...i would much rather have 200x EL done right than have all the not as needed things these new characters I have no attachment to come with. I am definitely in the she needs a new tunic camp. They wont change it but as we have seen in the past if we let them know what we want enough they usually try...kaybe we can actually get a 200xbreeding version with new bracers and boots later? Who knows

how flexible is the cape? i don't want it for a 200x version, i wonder if it could be reshaped to match the 200x skirt and added to the figure..

Those are also my sentiments, I think they're both stunning figures.

Though I absolutely love the Filmation characters, I find this version of the Sorceress to be way more visually appealing.

As for Evil-Lyn, I'm pretty sure that Mattel knows there's a high demand for the figure and are keeping that version for the next time they need another Evil-Lyn variant. Hang in there guys and you'll get another Lyn eventually. Probably one that talks more about her son and how she trained him to go back in time to do her dirty work after gaining her powers back somehow.
    Proud supporter of the Snake Men.

Most Wanted: Slave Girl, Eldor, Spinnerella, Mermista, Peekablue, Crita, Lizorr, Tyrantisaurus Rex, Battle Ram, Great Black Wizard.
    Most Wanted for Filmation Sub: Madame Razz with Broom, Lord Masque, Ileena, Granita, General Sunder.

No Slave Girl? Watch us hurl!

A barbaric world without slave girls? That's truly barbaric!

Heroic Warrior
    I don't see what the big deal with Evil Lyn is. I expected a repaint of the old armor because that's the look of the classics line. I don't know why they chose to add pink to her costume but I'm an open box collector so I'll just repaint her, no big deal. My only complaint about the sorceress is that it looks like her elbows don't bend which annoys me. I"m hoppingfor a figure down the road I can swap the arms with.

With regard to the Sorceress hand, I respectfully ask that they reconsider.

Scott could totally override the decision not to use a spell casting hand. He's made decisions about design before. And if Scott claims no control, then perhaps we can all ask both Scott (again) and the 4H.

I still think, if we are loud and numerous enough, we can get that spell casting hand.
    After all, the original figure had it. This is not an unreasonable request.

-------

Love the new Evil-Lyn. Saw it in person and she looks FIERCE.

The head without the helmet is straight out of 200X.

I'm a bit weary of the 200X fans acting like they don't see their wishes realized. We were talking about this at the con, because Fisto is so clearly a love letter to the 200X fans. As is Kobra Khan. And Carnivus. And Marzo. And Whiplash. And 2x King Grayskull. And the many many weapons and add-ins that are straight out of 200X.

I am a huge 200X fan. But I see that MOTUC is a new line. The longer it goes, the less it's strictly an homage line fueled by nostalgia. I like that

We may still get young Lyn with her 200X outfit and a tiara.
    Last edited by bcrduke; July 27, 2011 at 02:51pm.
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by bizzysim3 View Post
    I don't see what the big deal with Evil Lyn is. I expected a repaint of the old armor because that's the look of the classics line.
    This is the point...

I think people misunderstand. It's not hate. Battleground Evil-Lyn IS wonderful save her Teela torso, which this variant wasn't supposed to have.

The fans wanted 200X Evil-Lyn in particular because she doesn't wear the Teela leotard. That's the whole point of asking for that particular figure.™

And we aren't trying to get her changed. We know that isn't happening. What can happen is Toyguru saying that they could revisit Battleground Evil-Lyn sometime down the line with the desired change.

I think that would be acceptable to the fans.