Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyguru Addresses Battleground Evil-Lyn and Sorceress Fan Requests

I think what will really freak people out is if/when we get 200X Randor and he has tons of new tooling for a fur cape and his MYP outfit, etc.

Based on BG Evil-Lyn, he should Neva repaint of existing Randor, with a new head that wears the MYP crown-band, and maybe a new bionic leg.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDamien View Post
    Someone's going to be unhappy in the end. Some fans would like Sorceress to be capable of 'casting spells' -- and some fans would like Sorceress to be capable of being posed holding her staff in two hands. They're mutually exclusive. So there's no "compromise" to be had, as one person getting what they want negates the other person from getting what they want.

Not being argumentative, just pointing out that it's not a situation where either side is just being inflexible. It's just really not something some fans are going to be able to find middle ground on. Not that it matters.
    Well it does seem kind of greedy to want both hands one way and not allow for half and half, you know?

Shera's secret heartthrob oulala's Avatar
    Mmmm... I have to say that I find this purple Evil Lyn beautiful but then again, I agree with what has been said. First we heard she would get a lot of new tooling. Then voilā, she's just a repaint with an extra head and a cape.

If it's a budget related matter, fine, I understand. However, I think it's a mistake for them to re-release a redeco of the same Teela armor we've already had on 3 characters! (Teela, Evil Lyn and Goddess).

If they REALLY wanted to do a purple version of the previous Evil Lyn, then they could at least have used the new buck with twist waist and redesign the Teela armor so that it's in two pieces.

This would have made sense as they could have reused the new two part armor for a Teela re release (Teela with her rigid dress, is one of the less poseable figures along with the first She-ra). And they could have also kept the exact same top for She-ra and MAYBE redesign the bottom of the armor (the skirt part) so that Evil Lyn has her own, different 200X skirt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.

This is probably as close to a 200x Lynn as you guys are gonna get from MOTUC. Why not be happy that your getting her and that you don’t have to fight with the WSD for the privilege?

If you want to change her just open the package and add paint or greenstuff no big deal.

I understand the idea behind wanting a different hand for Sorceress, especially when she only comes with one hand-held accessory. And, it seems far enough away and such a minimal change that TG could consider it. But is it really needed, or simply an improvement that the majority is for?

And incidentally, if there is a new thread asking for support, I'm all for it as long as it's not called "Battleground". The 200X variant of EL should get its own name.
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAdam101 View Post
    I understand the idea behind wanting a different hand for Sorceress, especially when she only comes with one hand-held accessory. And, it seems far enough away and such a minimal change that TG could consider it. But is it really needed, or simply an improvement that the majority is for?
    What would you consider to be "needed" if it's not an improvement that the majority wants (assuming that it really is a majority and not the loud minority--of which I'd amit I could be a member of)?

Quote Originally Posted by Battle_Brak View Post
    This is kind of what I was hoping for. It's a shame we're getting Teela's skirt yet again.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...OTU/MYPLyn.jpg
    This would have been absolutely perfect for me. That's all I wanted. Why was that so hard? If they had done that this thread wouldn't exist. She doesn't even have the skirt on the back and I could have dealt with it.

Seriously. That is all I wanted and I could have taken her off my list of most wanted characters.
    Last edited by Thrawn29; July 27, 2011 at 11:24pm.

not for me i want the long skirt

the King needs his Queen and pet! Queen Veena and Battle Lion for MOTUC!

For the Love of Illumina & her Cat Sleetah!!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/156251727799742/
    my Feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205099
    my sale page http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205041

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Sorceress View Post
    I'd like the long skirt too, but aesthetically, it's the bra part and the loin cloth that are the biggest. I'm saying based on what we could have expected at a minimum. I could have been happy without the long skirt if they'd fixed the rest.

Satisfied? No. Happy? Yes.

I'm Anime Hyper-Detailed Battle_Brak's Avatar
    me too I was just too lazy to photoshop it in

me too I was just too lazy to photoshop it in
    LOL hay your as bad at the 4H!

LOL hay your as bad at the 4H!
    I had an evil chuckle at that.

Heroic Warrior
    Toyguru did state at the front of this thread that money was allocated for a new tunic, so there's no "200X is retired" talk here. According to Toyguru, Mattel was willing to have the tooling done, but the 4H decided to reuse the obsolete Teela buck and dress that doesn't twist.

Not make a NEW Teela dress that allows for a twist, like they will eventually have to make. They used the old buck.

What kind of sense does that make besides a cost cutting manuever?
    yeah, I'm sure theres more behind the scenes then we get to hear. Honestly, I'm SURE the MOTUC budget has been cut. There are a LOT of corners being cut lately and they all seem to be for reasons of 'price'

1) no new tooling on EL... Call it what you want, but I think your right about cost cutting there. Yes, they had money for the new dress.... but i'm imagining someone telling the 4h... you have a choice, use this money for a varient figure, Or you can use it on an accessory in the future.

Maybe Fisto's sword?? Something they liked better then EL's dress and wanted made?

i don't know, I'm just guessing. But that way TG can claim that it was the 4H choice to use the old dress.

2) Shadow weaver HAD to be the Exclusive to justify her 'parts'... That seems ridiculous compared to some other characters.

All the time we see these new mini he-man rumbler things... I think they're all coming out of the MOTU budget and the 'REAL' toys are going to start getting skimped on.

Would it be 'minimal'? She's already 'finalized' and (I could be mistaken...) but we don't HAVE a 'spellcasting' hand yet molded. So along with the wings head and dress, that's a whole new part.

Safety reasons making Catra's hand out of rubber was most people's biggest complaint about her... But yeah, at this point, if the molds are all ready for production, I don't think that's a minimal change anymore

I also question the term 'improvement'. CHANGE would be more appropriate

Inappropriate Tree Hugger The.Idea.of.Evil's Avatar
    Call me a broken record, but I don't believe Toyguru. He might be fine with telling us a half truth, but at BEST it can only be a half truth. The Horsemen have always given fans at least some semblance of what they want and there is no way they simply were told "Create a purple themed Evil Lyn" and then they only repainted the old Teela buck. We've been beat over the head with the fact that the MYP style is cancelled, but there's no excuse that BG Teela got an entirely new mold while a BG Evil Lyn was left as a simple repaint

I am confused about excuses being made about BG Evil Lyn's repainted Teela outfit, as Scott (ToyGuru) said it was in the budget cost for this figure.

There is no reason it couldn't have been done according to Scott, just the Four Horsemen decided to not tool one and repaint the over used Teela outfit.

Also all females going forth from Catra's release (except Marlena) were to have the new female buck. That right there should be why the 4HM should have redone the tunic to allow for the articulation and the new female buck to be used.

Again, according to Scott it was in the budget, so we can't keep speculating that they had to make cuts. He confirmed it himself regarding the budget allowing it to be done.

Again here is the portion I refer to:

"In regard specifically to BG Evil Lyn (who seems to have gotten the lion's share of change requests) let me see if I can clarify.

We actually costed out a new tunic outfit for her. It was the Horsemen who wanted from a design stand point (I presume to keep the "Classics look") to go with a repaint of the "Teela tunic". I've mentioned before, we don't art direct the Horsemen in this way. Her look is the artistic choice of the Horsemen."

Also as for Sorceress, since she doesn't contain an extra head or multiple accesories, perhaps Mattel could have thought to include a snap on spell casting hand.

I personally don't like those soft squishy hands...Catra's hand drives me nuts. This is an adult collector line, none of us were going to stab ourselves in the eye with Catra's hand if it was made of the same material as the other hands.

Well I would hope none of us would lol

Since this is an adult collector line kids shouldn't be playing with the figures unless the parents want them to....so the safety issue is strange to me. I have some female figures with hard molded hands similar to Catra's open hand and there was no safety recall for them or any soft plastic used.

Perhaps as an accessory for people like Sorceress who isn't overloaded with them, the spell casting hand could be added. There was no 2nd head, so the spell casting hand could have been added to easily be switched out with the closed hand on her left arm.

I guess I think to logistically and not on the level Mattel thinks. Thank goodness
    Last edited by CicconeSC; July 28, 2011 at 01:14am.

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    Itīs possible to design a spell casting hand in a way, that itīs still able to hold stuff or at least support the other hand!

What is the Sorceress supposed to hold in her other hand anyway?

Especially in her open wing pose? From an aesthetically standpoint that would look inappropriate and not iconic!

The MotU Classics should represent the iconic look of an charcter , especially the Sorceress.

But from the number of posts i see that the majority of fans does not perceive that, so Mattel is a happy camper.

Just to clarify itīs only that little flaw, what irritates me.
    Besides that i think she looks awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by oulala View Post
    Mmmm... I have to say that I find this purple Evil Lyn beautiful but then again, I agree with what has been said. First we heard she would get a lot of new tooling. Then voilā, she's just a repaint with an extra head and a cape.

If it's a budget related matter, fine, I understand. However, I think it's a mistake for them to re-release a redeco of the same Teela armor we've already had on 3 characters! (Teela, Evil Lyn and Goddess).

If they REALLY wanted to do a purple version of the previous Evil Lyn, then they could at least have used the new buck with twist waist and redesign the Teela armor so that it's in two pieces.

This would have made sense as they could have reused the new two part armor for a Teela re release (Teela with her rigid dress, is one of the less poseable figures along with the first She-ra). And they could have also kept the exact same top for She-ra and MAYBE redesign the bottom of the armor (the skirt part) so that Evil Lyn has her own, different 200X skirt.
    This is the best explination of what they could have done.

I have no need for a 200x sculpt. IF anything, this is works for me.

But the waist. Yeah, that would have been a good idea. And if it were a new dress anyway, to account for the waist, then yeah, that would be cool.

I'm behind that.

But since it was just a refresh, it's fine. Think Zodak. Sure he's not exactly the same as 200x Zodak, but then again, he's not supposed to be. He's Classics Zodak. This Is at best Classics 200x Evil Lyn. Heh.

But I would have liked her to be modern buck. That I cant argue.

Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    This is the best explination of what they could have done.

I have no need for a 200x sculpt. IF anything, this is works for me.

But the waist. Yeah, that would have been a good idea. And if it were a new dress anyway, to account for the waist, then yeah, that would be cool.

I'm behind that.

But since it was just a refresh, it's fine. Think Zodak. Sure he's not exactly the same as 200x Zodak, but then again, he's not supposed to be. He's Classics Zodak. This Is at best Classics 200x Evil Lyn. Heh.

But I would have liked her to be modern buck. That I cant argue.

However Zodak was before the subscriptions. We were told by TG that the variants in the subscriptions would not be straight repaints of the figure. So Zodak being compared to BG Evil Lyn doesn't make sense. She is supposed to be more than a repaint, we were told she wouldn't be a repaint, and also that all females after Catra (excluding Marlena) would use the new female buck. So why is BG Evil Lyn not using the new buck? She was made and designed after BG Teela....therefore according to TG she should be using the new female buck.

Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    Think Zodak. Sure he's not exactly the same as 200x Zodak, but then again, he's not supposed to be. He's Classics Zodak.
    Classic Zodak is close enough. Even in 200x he was just wearing classic Zodac armor. So it's alright. If he we relased today, he'd almost certainly get a new head sculpt, but he was done at a time when the extra figures were not part of the sub and were only going to be resued parts. That's changed for the quarterly variants now.

This is kind of what I was hoping for. It's a shame we're getting Teela's skirt yet again.
    Oh. Wow! That just looks amazing. I now wish it looked like this.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

With respect to your opinion (and as a harmless debater on this issue), I would like to ask this: Do you think that if Mattel revealed an Evil Lyn figure with the same head as before, the same yellow skin color, same boots, gauntlets, and weapons, but changed the leotard to the 200X style... you and other fans would be "happy"?
    I would be irritated why they kept the yellow skin, but yes. I would be VERY happy to see the proper 200x Lyn dress made to MOTUC.

Those "highly appreciated bonuses" would not be perceived as such. I'd bet my HOUSE that there would be outrage.
    Great. I always wanted a house. There wasnīt any outrage when this here came out, was there:

Your response indicates that it was almost entirely about the leotard,
    Yep
    which is weird to me. When I saw this reveal, I thought she was a major surprise. I understand that you were expecting EXACTLY what you wanted, but can you choose to experience some joy in this new rendition of Evil Lyn? Mind you, this is being dubbed "Battleground"; it's Evil Lyn in the future...
    And? She keeps going to the same taylor who keeps tayloring the same dress over and over again, for 5000 years? Seing that the Goddess wears the same dress and sheīs around for quite some time on Eternia...

As a matter of fact: YES. I AM expecting to see exact renditions of the original. And YES, I AM expecting it with quarterly variants, too, as since the inclusion in the subs they are fully budgeted figures.

And why shouldnīt I? Seeing that it is possible, even with quarterly variants:

This was executed perfectly. A true to the original sculpt, many new parts, AND a quarterly variant.

This was executed far less then perfectly. A not at all true to the original sculpt, 3 new parts (of which we still havenīt seen one) and a decission I just cannot understand.

And please donīt get at me with "the 200x style is retired". We all know that. Which is why we are not asking for "the 200x style", but for the design elements used in 200x. Like Grizzlors loincloth, Fistos belt, all those weapons coming with Randor, Whiplash, Buzz-Off, Hordak... you name it!
    The design element we were asking for a "200x variant of Evil-Lyn" was a skirt and a "bones-bra". Similar to what we received with the Faceless One, who is a perfect rendition of the 200x design in MOTUC.
    Positivity, folks!
    Letīs all agree to love MOTU enough to let others love MOTU, too!

Heroic Warrior
    The thing of it is, REGARDLESS of how both these characters were designed, there would be some group of people, somewhere, that wouldn't be happy with the way they turned you. You can't make a figure so that 100% of the people will like it.

Personally, I think both figures look fine.
    Good Traders:
    fbiagentcooper, The_Donster, Captain Miro, Satonic, grimghost, robb

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Force View Post
    I would be irritated why they kept the yellow skin, but yes. I would be VERY happy to see the proper 200x Lyn dress made to MOTUC.

Great. I always wanted a house. There wasnīt any outrage when this here came out, was there:
    http://powet.tv/powetblog/wp-content..._evil-lyn1.jpg

Yep

And? She keeps going to the same taylor who keeps tayloring the same dress over and over again, for 5000 years? Seing that the Goddess wears the same dress and sheīs around for quite some time on Eternia...

As a matter of fact: YES. I AM expecting to see exact renditions of the original. And YES, I AM expecting it with quarterly variants, too, as since the inclusion in the subs they are fully budgeted figures.

And why shouldnīt I? Seeing that it is possible, even with quarterly variants:

http://www.actionfigurepics.com/wp-c...londeteela.jpghttp://www.cooltoyreview.com/TF2011/...1/IMG_9673.JPG
    This was executed perfectly. A true to the original sculpt, many new parts, AND a quarterly variant.

http://www.limited-movies.de/images/motu5_evillyn.jpghttp://cdn.toyark.com/news/attach/1/...1311385234.jpg
    This was executed far less then perfectly. A not at all true to the original sculpt, 3 new parts (of which we still havenīt seen one) and a decission I just cannot understand.

And please donīt get at me with "the 200x style is retired". We all know that. Which is why we are not asking for "the 200x style", but for the design elements used in 200x. Like Grizzlors loincloth, Fistos belt, all those weapons coming with Randor, Whiplash, Buzz-Off, Hordak... you name it!
    The design element we were asking for a "200x variant of Evil-Lyn" was a skirt and a "bones-bra". Similar to what we received with the Faceless One, who is a perfect rendition of the 200x design in MOTUC.
    best post on this i have seen my man!

Hope this helps clarify. While you can't please everyone all the time, I think Terry and the Four Horsemen have done a bang up job on each and every upcoming figure. In particular I can't wait for Fisto and Kahn. Two figures I had as a kid and really enjoyed!

Scott
    Though you can't please everybody all the time, I'm pleased with these figures. So, thanks to all involved who made them possible. No doubt we'll see a more MYP Evil-Lyn anyway & I'll be happy when we get her. Mattel can release her in 2002 & original colors! I ALSO can't wait for Fisto & Kobra Khan. (Is it Khan or Kahn?) Love 'em all! Thanks!
    I want my other half.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I'm leaning in the direction of making a protected thread for fans who would want to support Battleground Evil-Lyn 2.0. This is my formal request to the mods before I can do so. Since the fans who are satisfied with Evil-Lyn's parts reuse don't understand the fans who didn't like Vintage Evil-Lyn because she was a Teela repaint and want Mattel to make another version down the line, this discussion is going nowhere. So I'll open the discussion to supportive parties only and the .org can go back to purely positive talk about the new figures. All Battleground Evil-Lyn redo talk can get moved to that particular thread.

I encourage other fans with problems to do the same so that there are no more arguments around here.

If I have the permission, then I will do this.
    Hugs for MGM! I can read the weariness between the lines.
    Thank you for posting Scoot's response. You do a great job of keeping everyone informed with what is going on in the world of MOTU. Like Pixel Dan, your contributions are a big part of what keep me coming back to the org.

Which reminds me, I haven't donated to the org recently...