Thread: Evil-Lyn Costume Help!

Evil-Lyn Costume Help!

Okay, long story short, my GF wants to put together an Evil-Lyn costume for a con next year. She's hot, she's Asian, it's a dream come true. What we dont know, is where to start.

I was wondering, knowing how creative you guys are, if you have any links, ideas for parts and pieces. Anything that you think could help us.

We are hoping for a CLASSIC's evil lyn, and all we have thus far is we know she needs a one piece navy blue swim suit. apart from that, I am hoping for your guy's help.

Thanks!
    Religion = The Horde
    Atheism = The Great Rebellion

Let's start with an image of Evil-Lyn:

You've got a good start with navy blue swimsuit.

Hit up a Hobby Lobby, Michael's or other craft store and see what you can find. I'll bet you can fine just about everything you need there.

You should be able to fine some kind of faux-fur in multiple colors at a good fabric store. A couple years ago I did a Captain Jack Sparrow costume and found some faux-leather that worked quite well for boot cuffs. It came in tons of colors. I'd bet that could get you Lyn's boots. For the collar - hit up the pattern section. Simplicity, McCall or Butterick may have something that you can adapt.

For Armor components (leaves) and belt - go with lightweight wood and paint it. Or some sort of sculpy for the torso piece.

Arms and Wrist bands - hit up google or some costume shops.

The helmet will be the most difficult piece. You might try some medieval dress/arms website and look for a basic helm. Then start the customizing.

It's all very doable - and you've got plenty of time to turn out a great costume if you put the effort in. And by effort I mean $$$

Make sure you post pics - might even do a tutorial to help inspire people.

Good luck!

Micheals is a good place for fur. That's where I got the fur for this pair of boots after I dyed them.

http://fav.me/d1jqoow

As Bluestreak mentioned, Hobby Lobby is another good place to look.
    Last edited by Deltara; August 22, 2010 at 02:36am.
    "Please, don't try anything you're about to see us do at home." - Adam Savage
    "EVER!" - Jamie Hyneman

"I reject your reality and substitue my own." - Adam Savage

"Aren't tracer rounds illegal?" - Jamie Hyneman

Quote Originally Posted by Stickfa View Post
    Okay, long story short, my GF wants to put together an Evil-Lyn costume for a con next year. She's hot, she's Asian, it's a dream come true.
    If you are going for the Classics look, the last descriptor she will need
    is 'Jaundiced'.

Luckily liver problems are not the only answer. There is quite a bit of spray skin make-up
    out there that can help with her achieve the correct skin hue.

And just remember, you get to help her scrub it all(lllll) off....
    "I will not rest until the last Autobot is crushed to nothing and Decepticons rule!"
    Clench: Decepticon Syndicate Director

Demonicfirefly: Is a pleasure to do business with.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Dire View Post
    And just remember, you get to help her scrub it all(lllll) off....
    If its edible, that wont be a problem!

I dont think she wants to do the yellow skin thing ... rubs off, too messy, would need to be touched up constantly.

I think the first focus for her is the nautilus style ram horns on the chest. how do we pull that off? .... she's no seamstress, and I'm no sculptor.
    Religion = The Horde

If its edible, that wont be a problem!

I dont think she wants to do the yellow skin thing ... rubs off, too messy, would need to be touched up constantly.

I think the first focus for her is the nautilus style ram horns on the chest. how do we pull that off? .... she's no seamstress, and I'm no sculptor.
    You don't want to touch up your girlfriend constantly?

You should go for a combination of the 200X, filmation and classics look. Don't be too slave to one style, but just evoke the look of Evil Lyn. If it borrows from different eras, that's fine, just as long as it doesn't end up like the 1987 movie look. Give your gf a cape if that will add to the image.

A blue swimming or shower cap could be a start for the headdress.
    Bikini Teela: Hottest version ever!!

Quote Originally Posted by Teela-Na View Post
    You don't want to touch up your girlfriend constantly?

You should go for a combination of the 200X, filmation and classics look. Don't be too slave to one style, but just evoke the look of Evil Lyn. If it borrows from different eras, that's fine, just as long as it doesn't end up like the 1987 movie look. Give your gf a cape if that will add to the image.

A blue swimming or shower cap could be a start for the headdress.
    just incase people are curious, I am going to post the play by play on this.

I found this tutorial for armor, and i think it will help make the majority of the costume. http://www.entropyhouse.com/penwiper...helmsdeep.html
    Religion = The Horde

That tutorial looks pretty amazing! I love seeing people turn simple foam, wood, paper, or plastic into metals and stones through the use of paint and sealant coating techniques. It's so impressive!

P.S. check here for a tutorial on another amazing MotU costume :

Tri-Klops by Vahn!!!
    Last edited by BlueLobster1979; August 26, 2010 at 02:14am. Reason: Added URL
    The former Glass Shrimp also known as See-Shell

Quote Originally Posted by BlueLobster1979 View Post
    That tutorial looks pretty amazing! I love seeing people turn simple foam, wood, paper, or plastic into metals and stones through the use of paint and sealant coating techniques. It's so impressive!

P.S. check here for a tutorial on another amazing MotU costume :

Tri-Klops by Vahn!!!
    thanks for that! things like this help quite a bit. A tutorial on how to make an evil-lyn costume step by step would be nice, but I doubt that exists. So learning from other costumes is teh best way to go.

That being said, I have decided since I have the body for it, I am going to be Adam. EASY Costume, wont detract from hers ... and it'll be a cute sort of "Guys always dig the bad girls" sorta thing ... but I need a power sword. Any tutorials you guys find on how to make fake swords, or even good pictures of adams sword from the filmation toon would be nice.

thanks for the help so far!!
    Religion = The Horde

A tutorial on how to make an evil-lyn costume step by step would be nice, but I doubt that exists.
    You're keeping track of your WIP, right?
    Roast Gooble Dinner podcast Appendix & Notations
    Doughnuts & Top Cow podcast Co-Host
    @joshcrawley

IQ test results: negative sdilks's Avatar
    Dude, have you tried Google?

I'm not trying to be smart, but I just did a search for "evil lyn costume", and some AWESOME costume pic's popped up!

Check it out!
    "The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that none of it has tried to contact us." -B.W.

Quote Originally Posted by sdilks View Post
    Dude, have you tried Google?

I'm not trying to be smart, but I just did a search for "evil lyn costume", and some AWESOME costume pic's popped up!

Check it out!
    all that gives me is what evil-lyn looks like ... or rather, what chubby white girls dressed as evil lyn look like ... I KNOW that already. I need to how to make what they're wearing.

if you have any ideas on the breast piece or helmet, please let me know = )

can someone link or post photos of evil lyn (MOTUC) from the side and the back ... mine is still on card and im not willing to open it.
    Last edited by Stickfa; September 2, 2010 at 03:52am.
    Religion = The Horde

How'd this go?

My hot, very pale, Princess Amidala look-a-like girlfriend needs tips!

200x Evil-Lyn for Halloween!

Help me & I'll post pictures!
    Last edited by Eternian Poet; August 11, 2011 at 12:06pm.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

she has the supplies but "ill do it over the winter" never happened because by "Ill do it over the winter" she meant "you will do most of it over the winter and ill watch .... and YOU NEVER DID IT!"

ugh .... girls.
    Religion = The Horde

she has the supplies but "ill do it over the winter" never happened because by "Ill do it over the winter" she meant "you will do most of it over the winter and ill watch .... and YOU NEVER DID IT!"

ugh .... girls.
    do you have a (partial?) list of stuff she (would have) used? Like for the rams-horn-bodice? Or helmet?
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    do you have a (partial?) list of stuff she (would have) used? Like for the rams-horn-bodice? Or helmet?
    we got like 80% of the costume figured out .... i just for the life of me cant figure out the chest peice .... the ram horn spirals on the chest are so hard to do .... and the helmet was going to be my job, but i want to make it comfy as well as look good. I dont want some paper mache thing ....
    Religion = The Horde

Heroic Warrior TombstonePiledrive's Avatar
    we got like 80% of the costume figured out .... i just for the life of me cant figure out the chest peice .... the ram horn spirals on the chest are so hard to do .... and the helmet was going to be my job, but i want to make it comfy as well as look good. I dont want some paper mache thing ....
    I am trying to sit by and just watch, but I thought I'd pitch in. You're referring to the design that circles around the breast, correct? There should be a thousand different ways to execute this, but one seems simple.

The armor tutorial should help quite a bit here. Here is what I am thinking. Use the craft foam and cut out scalloped shaped pieces. Use a Styrofoam ring as an armature. Heat the foam and form it over the ring, layering it as it looks in the reference. Finish the foam in whatever color/paint/method you use for the rest of the outfit and tack it on the spandex while on here to assure a good fit.

That's just one option, but I thought I'd through that in there. I look forward to pics and progression, regardless if my idea is helpful. Good luck with this.

This Halloween my 5 year old son will be Skeletor and my daughter will be She-Ra, so I got some He-Costuming to do as well!