Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: MINI-COMIC INTERVIEW - CBR talks to Tim Seeley

As much as the 2002 fans are upset at the lack of 2002 designs, most of the bios seem to be based on MYP storylines(both aired & unaired). Unfortunately that seems to involve destroying a lot of the characters imo.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

I think people get too overprotective with their heroes. If nothing bad ever happens to them (turning evil, dying, etc) then it gets REALLY predictable. I like the idea of raising the stakes. And if the story is good, that's all that matters. All we have right now is the idea. I'm willing to see how it all plays out...

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    I think people get too overprotective with their heroes. If nothing bad ever happens to them (turning evil, dying, etc) then it gets REALLY predictable. I like the idea of raising the stakes. And if the story is good, that's all that matters. All we have right now is the idea. I'm willing to see how it all plays out...
    I agree - also this is telling a story that happens after all the stuff we knew as kids from the original line.
    We'll see how it goes.

Anyone know who this character is:
    Bottom of the page, last panel, lower left corner beside Sy-Klone?

Yes, because dying & turning evil aren't cliches overused in superhero/fantasy stories as it is. If that's all writers have to make their stories come alive, they aren't very good writers imo. I also find this whole notion that "the Sorceress was always going to die only to be replaced by Teela" predictable. While I never once thought that as a kid, if you are one of those who did, it basically tells you what was going to happen. Isn't that predictable too? It limits what you can do with both characters involved.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    Yes, because dying & turning evil aren't cliches overused in superhero/fantasy stories as it is. If that's all writers have to make their stories come alive, they aren't very good writers imo. I also find this whole notion that "the Sorceress was always going to die only to be replaced by Teela" predictable. While I never once thought that as a kid, if you are one of those who did, it basically tells you what was going to happen. Isn't that predictable too? It limits what you can do with both characters involved.
    Dying & turning evil are cliches in REAL LIFE! It happens every day... An ordinary man suddenly rapes a 12 year old or a man in Norway guns down a hundred people. How about 9/11/2001? This happens ALL THE TIME.
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

It's a valid question why they couldn't think of anything else to do with the Sorceress but kill her off? Was the next step worth taking with Teela really making her the next sorceress? Actually we saw these things happen in the last issue of the old Star comics, so it's not really new ground apart from the absence of time travel or a reset button (er, YET I guess).

I can see MAA being a Snake Man though because counting the MYP last episode comic, that is the last plot element we saw.

But this leads to the point I was trying to make a few posts ago. If Sorceress is indeed around during the time period that NA takes place, and NA takes place after the second battleground, then the Sorceress isn't truly dead. I think we need the full story before we can really complain about this element of the story.
    Craig

My MOTUC most wanted: Angella, Sssqueeze, Peekablue, Mara, Evilseed, and Granita

Quote Originally Posted by Lookie View Post
    Dying & turning evil are cliches in REAL LIFE! It happens every day... An ordinary man suddenly rapes a 12 year old or a man in Norway guns down a hundred people. How about 9/11/2001? This happens ALL THE TIME.
    Dying is a part of reality. That's why I don't want to be bombarded by it in my fiction. As for turning evil, I feel those examples you cited weren't "turned evil". They were evil but were just looking for a time or opportunity to prove it.

Anyways, I've helped derail this thread as it is. It's about Tim Seeley and not whether MYP's ideas(or ToyGuru using them all over again) for MOTU were sound. I do wish Tim was the artist though. I'm happy he's scripting but his art is his drawing card for me.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; July 29, 2011 at 03:34pm.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    But this leads to the point I was trying to make a few posts ago. If Sorceress is indeed around during the time period that NA takes place, and NA takes place after the second battleground, then the Sorceress isn't truly dead. I think we need the full story before we can really complain about this element of the story.
    Well I think the obvious solution to all of that is if the NA Sorceress (mini comic version) is Teela-Na resurrected as a ghost in the machine on the Starship Eternia, while regular Teela would still be active on Eternia basically like the cartoon version.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    Dying is a part of reality. That's why I don't want to be bombarded by it in my fiction. As for turning evil, I feel those examples you cited weren't "turned evil". They were evil but were just looking for a time or opportunity to prove it.

Anyways, I've helped derail this thread as it is. It's about Tim Seeley and not whether MYP's ideas(or ToyGuru using them all over again) for MOTU were sound. I do wish Tim was the artist though. I'm happy he's scripting but his art is his drawing card for me.
    "Bombarded"? How many characters have died in MOTU in the past 30 years?

So is the green head from the Palace Guards two pack definitely Man At Arms then?
    Click on Amazon or Barnes and Noble for a free sample of my first book, Paradigm Shift Saga: Malediction!

A short story of monsters and magic!

Evil Master of Meejitz super-munkyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davidlogan View Post
    So is the green head from the Palace Guards two pack definitely Man At Arms then?
    I reckon so, they look so similar.
    JITSU!!!! Thank the Elder Gods!!!!

DeviantART - http://super-munkyboy.deviantart.com

Commissions - [TBA]

Speculation: That thing Teel... I mean... "The Sorceress" is sensing in the past that is necessary to defeat the Snake Men... it will also reactivate the essence of the previous Sorceress and revive her.

That "thing" has to be connected to something else in MOTUC canon (otherwise it's just a MacGuffin and a very flat mystery) and what could work better than the lineage of the Sorceress? Maybe only a person who was killed by King Hiss can actually kill him in return?

What do I get if I am correct?

are scans of the mini comic not allowed such as was the case with the art book?

Nope. Please do not scan and post.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisto69 View Post
    are scans of the mini comic not allowed such as was the case with the art book?
    You are correct; just like with the art book and ToyFare pics in the past,
    we will delete any posts with scans, links to scans, or requests for scans of the mini comics.

I know everyone wants to see it, and I sympathize.
    But it's coming... just please be patient and respectful in the meantime.

Thanks!
    Bill :: guitargod694

Part of me does think it would have been good marketing to release the first issue online for people to view and then hook them in to get the rest. I understand that ComiCon attendees get special things, but it does suck having to wait so many more months to get a look at the first bit of new fiction in... what has bee it been... 7 years or so?

Defender of the Elders Red Trinity's Avatar
    I loved it. I really enjoyed the simplified art style. The story is good, albeit I did groan at He-Man's comment about Teela's hair. I really liked her Sorceress look too. It's different and not what I expected. I hope we get a Sorceress Teela figure, even if it's just a Battleground Teela refresh with a cloth cloak.

Very cool to see King Hiss wielding the Staff of Ka. I really hope more is explained about that. How did Teela end up with it in present day Eternia? And why did she wear the armor of The Goddess for a while?

One thing I'm a little confused about is how Skeletor took over Eternia without taking Grayskull. And why are the heroic warriors using caves as their base instead of Grayskull?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    Well I think the obvious solution to all of that is if the NA Sorceress (mini comic version) is Teela-Na resurrected as a ghost in the machine on the Starship Eternia, while regular Teela would still be active on Eternia basically like the cartoon version.
    I'm thinking she's a spirit. Like Obi Wan Kenobi.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Its nice to see the comics revived. Godd information and link! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Reilly View Post
    Why on earth doesn't anybody ever get "GrAyskull" written down correctly? Geez...
    I spell it Grayskull like most, but it is written "Greyskull" on the map in the ep. The Shaping Staff, so I don't fault others on it. It tells me that their exposure was mostly to Filmation. ( The map is at 2:34, if you want to jump ahead)

Part of me does think it would have been good marketing to release the first issue online for people to view and then hook them in to get the rest.
    I think so too. If someone is interested in this mini-comic series, are they really going to skip buying Thunder Punch He-Man because the comic is available in full online? Chances are folks will want physical copies in their possession. Very few folks would skip Part 1 and only buy the figures that come with Part 2 and 3.

Evil and sees Everything. Someone Else's Avatar
    Somewhere between Science and Superstition.
    Very nice. But in panel 3, King Randor does not appear to be wearing any trousers. His legs appear flesh coloured rather than Orange.
    Someone Elses Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/RhythmShift

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    wow. i have never seen that episode. great post

Would somebody with the comic mind posting a list of all the characters in it please? (We've all seen the first page and the corresponding list, but I'm just wondering what other characters we'll see in this issue.) Thanks for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone Else View Post
    Very nice. But in panel 3, King Randor does not appear to be wearing any trousers. His legs appear flesh coloured rather than Orange.
    Well, we don't know how he escaped Despondos yet.