Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk Star Sisters Repaints/Variants & What They Could Come With

Let's Talk Star Sisters Repaints/Variants & What They Could Come With

So by now, it's no secret that the toy prototypes featured in the '87 catalog are my most-wanted versions of the Star Sisters. (though I do like the orange-y star staff for Tallstar that was shown in the Italian catalog and included with the January 2012 figure) They rock my world. I'm really hoping Mattel gets around to doing A-List variants of these gals at some point.

For Tallstar, I would like to see toy colors (with one exception: silver hips to match the chest), with newly-tooled waist extension, twirly "skirt", and that "cylindrical" red part that's shown between the hands and extensions instead of gauntlets. I really miss that part, because it makes her arms look robotic/less human-ish. The design at the bottom of the thighs and upper boots would be great too, but I don't want to push my luck, because I already listed several new tools.

Starla? Get rid of the star on the back of her head and current skirt, and give her the sash-skirt outfit, as well as more of a shooting star design on the knees. Not sure what they could do about the star backpack, because her hair would get in the way of that. What do you guys think?

Jewelstar? If they can't do a major tooling overhaul on her, then I would say do the current body/headdress sculpt in transparent red glittery plastic. She definitely needs a Jewel form, but I'm not sure how they should go about sculpting it. Any suggestions?

How about a Castle Grayskull playset?
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAdam101 View Post
    How about a Castle Grayskull playset?
    I agree.

Alternatively, how about just enjoying the fact that your most-requested characters are finally getting represented in some form or fashion?

Some of us are still waiting, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by bamf1980 View Post
    I agree.

Alternatively, how about just enjoying the fact that your most-requested characters are finally getting represented in some form or fashion?

Some of us are still waiting, you know.
    Too much sense being made!

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    There's always customization I think it's pretty good to even be getting these characters at all, and way to early to even think about varients.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Tallstar - repaint in toy colours with added, removable pants, waist extension and LONGER extensions. The current ones are WAY too tiny at the moment, in my opinion. Tallstar can grow 30 feet tall. I would really like to see her, Extendar and Mek-A-Nek's neck done like Mr. Fantastic as I "Asked Matty" here (with pictures to demonstrate!):

http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...5/m/4011093607

Starla - repaint in toy colours, no star on head, star backpack, maybe a removable sash piece? I'm sad to see it go, but Chief Carnivus lost his purple one...so I can live without it. The star backpack can give enough space to allow for the ponytail at the back, or give her a ponytail over her shoulder. They have to figure something like this out for Peakablue, Castaspella, Angella, Sweet Bee, etc.

Jewelstar - honestly, she's the toughest. Her 80's figure was 100% a unique figure with jewels coming all out of her body. Knowing the limitations this line has with tooling, however, I would be happy with new "underwear" that includes the jewels coming out her hips seen in the catalogue (hard to notice, but they're just like her shoulder ones). They could make her in the red, translucent plastic with the glitter in it like the Grayskull orb and He-Ro's Power Sword. They could also give her a jeweled "rock" that is supposed to be her transformed. You know the Rock Men will get those to emulate their action feature! She should too, they had the same action feature in the 80's!

All in all, that's not all THAT much to ask for. It's doable. I wouldn't want Mattel to rush out and make these all at once, but it would be nice to get them eventually. 1 in 2013, 2014 and 2015, for example.

Castle Grayskull vs Star Sister...almost pure repaints doesn't really make sense as a comparison. Grayskull would be a 100% new tool, a playset, enormous, and could possibly cost $200-300. This is definitely not an either or situation. A more fair comparison would be: Jewelstar 2.0 or Smash Blade He-Man? The only thing re-decos of these gals could take the place of would be the quarterly variants or "bonus" figures that are out of the sub, like Bubble Power She-Ra.

Anyway, I feel for Tallstar and really would LOVE to have these gals! Before they were debuted at SDCC...90% of the people asking for the Star Sisters (or even just saying which versions they preferred out of the toy, magazine or Filmation versions) liked the toy colours and designs the best. I really have no idea why they based them on the poster...
    Last edited by Darkspecter; July 30, 2011 at 07:14pm.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

As much as I love this set...I would like to see variants based on the protos made, too.
    Last edited by DavidSummers; July 30, 2011 at 10:20pm.
    Kuduk Ungol for MOTUC. All steeds for MOTUC. Fully-articulated Cringer for MOTUC. Point Dread and Talon Fighter for MOTUC.

Heroic Warrior
    Do not get me wrong, I love the upcoming three pack with glory bird, but these three girls have yet to eat a ton of burritos beore they become A-listers.

Let us get a Spikor and a Modulok first...

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lanmandagoran View Post
    Do not get me wrong, I love the upcoming three pack with glory bird, but these three girls have yet to eat a ton of burritos beore they become A-listers.

Let us get a Spikor and a Modulok first...
    It was recently explained that a character doesn't have to be "A-list" to be a variant. Don't ask me why they coined that term.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Heroic Warrior
    I'm buying the Star Sisters. I do look forward to them, but I don't know how much I'll like 'em til I'm holding them. Still, I hope not to see any variants of these chicks til at least 2016.

Variants....hmmmm it's hard to say. My knowledge of POP was pretty limited before MOTUC- I had a She-Ra with my toys as a kid and vaguely remember watching some Filmation episodes as a kid but that's about it.

My gut says IF they did do a variant I'd want it to be some advanced storyline more 'gritty' look but then again I'm actually liking the She-Ra 2.0 look so maybe if they stayed closer to the toys it could be alright.

So what's the deal with the sisters? I take it Tallstar can stretch her limbs and neck based on Dan and Scott's SDCC walkthrough video? but what about the other two: Jewelstar can make some sort of armor materialize and Starla has...
    All caught up on figures...now what

I love POP and I love the Star Sisters. I would prefer the toy decos but I'm so glad we are getting them at all.

I'd be glad to get variants but I'm worried Mattel will only make so many females a year and until we've gotten a good amount of the secondary POP girls, I think they should hold off on variants of the sisters.

I know on paper it seems like they'd only take the place of other A-List variants but I think Mattel has some limitations on just how many POP figures (or females in general) maximum we can get in a year and I'd rather it be someone new. Especially after only 25% of the "at least 4" females we were promised was POP. Plus so many more females are on the table now with Filmation...I'm getting a tad bit nervous about my girls Netossa, Peekablue, Angella, etc.

I wouldnt be opposed to another box set though since I dont think that would really take away from other POP girls.

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    This line has too many variants already. I hope Mattel change a little the pace on which they make those figures. I like the variants but, it is more interesting when we get new characters.

I fail to see how this trio taking up A-List variant slots or a multi-pack slot would prevent us from getting a character such as Spikor? He would be part of the regular monthly line-up. Besides, wouldn't Spikor already have a scheduled month and year on the "Roadmap" that Toyguru speaks of? If anything, you guys and gals should be worried about the 2-3 Filmation characters every year bumping one of your faves.

Also, I said I hope Mattel gets to them one day. Me hoping for this doesn't mean that I don't appreciate the 3-Pack we're getting in January.

Now is the perfect time to be discussing variants, because these things are planned far in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenousPuma View Post
    So what's the deal with the sisters? I take it Tallstar can stretch her limbs and neck based on Dan and Scott's SDCC walkthrough video? but what about the other two: Jewelstar can make some sort of armor materialize and Starla has...

Thanks for posting the story.
    I dont need any variants of these. I would have preferred the toy variants as the only release.

Heroic Horde General Canada-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eterniandreams View Post
    Thanks for posting the story.
    I dont need any variants of these. I would have preferred the toy variants as the only release.
    yeah...there is no need to revisit such obscure figures in my opinion. I didn't even know who the star sisters were until they showed them at sdcc this year. lol I'm happy for everyone that is getting these that wanted them forever but there are far more important characters that need taking care of first.

@ Tallstar:

You don't have to carry the torch any longer, Tallstar. The dawn of the Star Sisters is approaching. Mission accomplished!

Once you've received this three pack in a few months, are you planning to refocus on another favorite character or group of characters?

Queen Marlena was mine, and now that I've gotten her I can begin carrying a torch for other favorite characters. I've still got my mission for Etherian Rebel Josh, but I also am passionate about getting Blade, Garth (post-transformation), Shokoti, Scorpia, Octavia, Extendar, and many others. I picked Blade for the latest MOTUC Idol. With Filmation, the list of characters I am pushing for has increased dramatically!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Before they were debuted at SDCC...90% of the people asking for the Star Sisters (or even just saying which versions they preferred out of the toy, magazine or Filmation versions) liked the toy colours and designs the best.
    Then I must fall into the other 10%, because Mattel has delivered exactly what I'd been hoping for.

Though I do think Tallstar's extensions are a little on the weak side...

Then I must fall into the other 10%, because Mattel has delivered exactly what I'd been hoping for.

Though I do think Tallstar's extensions are a little on the weak side...
    I completely agree with you. We haven't seen the extensions added on yet, but I was hoping for some "long" extensions to really elongate Tallstar. As is, it seems that the extra pieces may only serve to slightly enhance her length. It will work, I'm sure, but I would love it if they made longer pieces.

As for the design, I'm more for the style guide stuff than the original dolls.

Honestly, I don't recall very much support for poster versions over the years, as many folks really weren't all that familiar with the content within that issue of She-Ra magazine. For the longest time, the prototypes in the catalog were the main visual for the Star Sisters online. That was around as far back as I can remember. It's only been within the last few years that the magazine has had more of a circulating presence online, but it's always seemed to be between Filmation and the prototypes, with the vast majority preferring the prototypes.

Anyhow, there are a couple characters that I'm going to carry the torch for, now that the Star Sisters are coming. (Extendar, Blast-Attak, Octavia, Entrapta and Double Trouble...to name but a few)

I had a subscription to both the MOTU and POP magazines, so I have always been more familiar with that imagery than say, the one FILMation appearance or the prototype toys (which I don't think I had seen until one or two years ago).

Don't get me wrong, I understand your frustration. It's like wanting an Adora figure and instead having to settle for taking She-Ras cape and crown off. It'll work, but it's not what you expected.

But that said, sitting at the Mattypalooza panel and seeing that first picture, my immediate thought, swear to god, was "Tallstar is going to be soooo happy."

So it just shocks me to find you somewhat disappointed.

oh that comic was cute. love the art, that's where mattel took the designs from? I'm glad we're getting these, and I think it was the right descision to do these designs.

I'll jump on the Extandar bandwagon (unless I'm already on it, we have a thread for him, right?). What a character, what a toy!
    Check out my blog about toys and food: http://toysandbacon.blogspot.com/

I'm very excited for the Star Sisters, I didn't learn about them until a few years ago. They are by far the most obscure characters we've gotten so far, so I'm just happy with get them period. The fist image I saw was of the toy prototypes. After seeing them at the Mattel panel then in person at the booth I have to say I like the magazine styled design they went with. I just don't think the toy design would work as well with the rest of the line. I'm predominantly a female character fan, in fact at first I was only getting the females from MOTUC but fell in love with the line and had to pick up some of the males. But even as a female figure collector I'm happy with only getting this one set. There are so many other females I want, all the POP girls, so I'd rather they focus on making new figures. We are getting to many variants as it is.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

Don't get me wrong, I understand your frustration. It's like wanting an Adora figure and instead having to settle for taking She-Ras cape and crown off. It'll work, but it's not what you expected.

But that said, sitting at the Mattypalooza panel and seeing that first picture, my immediate thought, swear to god, was "Tallstar is going to be soooo happy."

So it just shocks me to find you somewhat disappointed.
    This isn't meant to be a downer thread. As I've said in various threads since SDCC, I can totally appreciate these magazine-based Star Sisters. I think it's really cool that we're getting them (makes me want to do a custom Catra in those magazine colors, so I can recreate "The Path To Nowhere"...lol), although it doesn't mean that I'm going to stop asking for toy versions.

I guess I'm coming from a different place than some of you, because the Star Sisters have been the main focal point for 11 plus years. It's what I've been about since I got here.

Quote Originally Posted by Slave2Evil_Lyn View Post
    I'm very excited for the Star Sisters, I didn't learn about them until a few years ago. They are by far the most obscure characters we've gotten so far, so I'm just happy with get them period.
    Some of the characters we've gotten in MOTUC are far more obscure than the Star Sisters, so I don't agree with this part. Honestly, I don't really even consider them to be all that obscure. I mean, sure, their cartoon appearance was super short, but anyone who bought and watched Season 2 of She-Ra would recognize the names at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Slave2Evil_Lyn View Post
    I just don't think the toy design would work as well with the rest of the line.
    In what way do the toy line prototypes not gel with the whole of MOTUC?

Were the star sisters originally planned to be released as a 3-pack? Or were they going to be individually carded?

My least favorite prototype is Starla. I don't understand the star backpack. I like her MOTUC incarnation a lot better. I think Tallstar might just need some silver paint and I would be satisfied with her.
    Windblown Advocate since 200x