Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NA & POP fans: something to consider when voting in 2016 MOTUC polls

NA & POP fans: something to consider when voting in 2016 MOTUC polls

I've been kind of doing this since these polls started, but I haven't thought to make mention of it until now. I'm a huge NA fan, and I appreciate the similar situation of POP fans, in that both eras are not universally loved, and in many circles they are even hated.

What I'm doing is taking all of the the NA choices and putting them in order of want for my personal taste, at the top of my list while voting, even above figures I'd rather have, just because I know that NA will be so sparsely voted for. I haven't been keeping up with the poll results, so maybe I'm wrong about their performance. I'm also boosting POP votes by putting them directly under my NA votes; so NA goes at the very top, no matter what, and POP goes under that, no matter what. Of course POP fans may want to reverse that, but knowing how much more poorly NA is received than POP is, and how our core characters won't even be complete after 2015, while yours will be (as far as I know anyway) you may chose to vote as I do, or to at least put the original NA figures above all else. Either way you vote, please keep in mind that we can, and perhaps we even need to help each other in these polls.

---EDIT---

I have amended my voting style, to more accurately reflect my personal taste, in light of the great points made in this thread. I will say this, if anyone chooses to do what I had promoted above, it should be abandoned for the second round. It is one thing to push them along when the choices include so many obscure characters, but continuing that method until the end would be devastating to the end result of the polls. I didn't think about that until just now. Btw, I really only voted that way for one poll (poll 13), because my method had to evolve to that point over the course of the first polls.
    Last edited by nicholighkun; April 4, 2014 at 10:30am.

Heroic Warrior Zodak's new shoes's Avatar
    I do the same with UK and German comic figures followed by concept for the most part. We all have our likes and dislikes. For me, I want figures that have never been made. I would rather have Keclar than a Filmation Hordak. Not that I don't like Filmation Hordak, that's just how I roll. I don't like PoP in fact all the PoP is why I am subcribing in 14 or 15, but if you do, more power to you. It's easy to fight and argue on the internet, but at the end of the day, I'm just glad we have MOTUC, and hope it lasts for many more years.
    Satma needs to happen. I will mow your lawn for life, Scott.

Well said. I suppose it's a method that applies to any underdog era then. But much can be said for the vitriolic hate against NA. It needs it's boost in votes more than any, of that I am sure. Except for maybe Songster, heeeee might not get many votes, unless alot of people are into jokey characters. If that's your thang, then go for it, but I'd rather get a more complete Na roster.

Heroic Warrior Zodak's new shoes's Avatar
    The NA mutants are high on my list. Except for Scuba Steve, I've liked the NA figures. Flip Shot and Opic are some of the best in the line.
    Satma needs to happen. I will mow your lawn for life, Scott.

LOL Scuba Steve.

My personal wants are in line with what's been topping the polls so far. POP and NA are always at the top.
    Must Haves before MOTUC is complete! QUEEN ANGELLA! Mermista, Peekablue, Perfuma, Imp, Admiral Scurvy, General Sunder, Colonel Blast, Vultak, Clawdeen, Stridor, Nightstalker, Cat version of Catra METEORBS Gwildor, Saurod, Point Dread with Talon Fighter! Sagitar

I get where you are coming from... and I am sure there is some tactical voting going on, but surely 200x fans could say the same to SOH fans (I await the obvious joke below) or mini-comic fans could team up with filmation variant fans etc?

I think people should just vote on what they want if we are going to get a relatively accurate view on what folks want.
    The Lurkiest

**Somebody please make me a Staghorn**

Quote Originally Posted by Jeevesosiris View Post
    I get where you are coming from... and I am sure there is some tactical voting going on, but surely 200x fans could say the same to SOH fans (I await the obvious joke below) or mini-comic fans could team up with filmation variant fans etc?

I think people should just vote on what they want if we are going to get a relatively accurate view on what folks want.
    I see what you mean, and there is definitely some value to voting "accurately", but NA especially is in danger of not being anywhere near complete by 2015; it needs help. I understand SOH is even less complete, because it has only 2-ish figures, but it was never made into a show, comic or toy series for people to fall in love with and develop nostalgia for. NA has all of that, plus a fanbase that has been basically left behind with a lack of representation thus far (no faction leaders until 2014, no Skeletor until 2014, and an average of one figure per year until 2014), and the series also has lots of mains that will not be made unless the voting for 2016 is in their favor.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholighkun View Post
    I see what you mean, and there is definitely some value to voting "accurately", but NA especially is in danger of not being anywhere near complete by 2015; it needs help. I understand SOH is even less complete, because it has only 2-ish figures, but it was never made into a show, comic or toy series for people to fall in love with and develop nostalgia for. NA has all of that, plus a fanbase that has been basically left behind with a lack of representation thus far (no faction leaders until 2014, no Skeletor until 2014, and an average of one figure per year until 2014), and the series also has lots of mains that will not be made unless the voting for 2016 is in their favor.
    Oh I know, I voted NA right at the top myself. I totally think they deserve to be made and hope and expect them to win the polls. I just like a variety of stuff is all, and I'd like to think that NA (and/or POP) can prove that they deserve to win polls and have the popularity to win the polls without having to "team up" and muddy the waters.

I want NA to win on their own merit and I don't want people who dislike NA to be able to point to threads like this and suggestions of tactical voting as an excuse as to why they have shown well in the polls.

I totally agree though, NA are my primary wants in 2016. *cough*Staghorn Scott... make Staghorn*cough*
    The Lurkiest

**Somebody please make me a Staghorn**

Thats what Ive been doing with Filmation and Comics then putting all the NA stuff and Jetlag on the bottom and leaving the rest in the middle.

Oh I know, I voted NA right at the top myself. I totally think they deserve to be made and hope and expect them to win the polls. I just like a variety of stuff is all, and I'd like to think that NA (and/or POP) can prove that they deserve to win polls and have the popularity to win the polls without having to "team up" and muddy the waters.

I want NA to win on their own merit and I don't want people who dislike NA to be able to point to threads like this and suggestions of tactical voting as an excuse as to why they have shown well in the polls.

I totally agree though, NA are my primary wants in 2016. *cough*Staghorn Scott... make Staghorn*cough*
    Very fair point. I might even kind of agree with you when you put it like that. Not sure if I'll amend my voting, but I can certainly see what you're saying.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    Thats what Ive been doing with Filmation and Comics then putting all the NA stuff and Jetlag on the bottom and leaving the rest in the middle.
    Oh good, you've taken yet another opportunity to dump on NA. So you'd rather shotblock fans of the series by voting even the more lame concept characters like Warthog man, or horrible 200X variants like wolf armor He-man, higher than NA; rather than helping your "fellow fan" by voting NA at least above the likes of Warthog man and Wolf armor He-man? All the more reason to band together and vote NA up I suppose.

Very fair point. I might even kind of agree with you when you put it like that. Not sure if I'll amend my voting, but I can certainly see what you're saying.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh good, you've taken yet another opportunity to dump on NA. So you'd rather shotblock fans of the series by voting even the more lame concept characters like Warthog man, or horrible 200X variants like wolf armor He-man, higher than NA; rather than helping your "fellow fan" by voting NA at least above the likes of Warthog man and Wolf armor He-man? All the more reason to band together and vote NA up I suppose.
    No I was just being honest. Voting for what Id prefer just as you are. But yes Warthog man would rock though I dont care for wolf armor He-man.

Swaying the votes like that could ultimately be the demise of the entire line. I would be careful and think this through before someone decides to do that. There are some cool N/A characters left....but only some....just like the other factions.

Quote Originally Posted by T-man View Post
    Swaying the votes like that could ultimately be the demise of the entire line. I would be careful and think this through before someone decides to do that. There are some cool N/A characters left....but only some....just like the other factions.
    I think if the end result is that the entire roster for 2016 is NA, based on the poll results, TG and Mattel will most certainly revise their actual 2016 roster to vastly minimize NA rep. But, you make another good point all the same.

Good point. No need to throw gasoline on an already lit fire IMO. This will only backfire in the end.

I don't really consider myself a NA fan but my top 10 pics have been littered with NA characters. I vote for the characters I want or just think would make cool looking figures. Many NA characters fall under that. I don't see any need to be bias in the voting.

I've been voting NA and POP all towards the top because that is what I most want at this point. No agenda, just my personal tastes
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2015!!!

I've been kind of doing this since these polls started, but I haven't thought to make mention of it until now. I'm a huge NA fan, and I appreciate the similar situation of POP fans, in that both eras are not universally loved, and in many circles they are even hated.

What I'm doing is taking all of the the NA choices and putting them in order of want for my personal taste, at the top of my list while voting, even above figures I'd rather have, just because I know that NA will be so sparsely voted for. I haven't been keeping up with the poll results, so maybe I'm wrong about their performance. I'm also boosting POP votes by putting them directly under my NA votes; so NA goes at the very top, no matter what, and POP goes under that, no matter what. Of course POP fans may want to reverse that, but knowing how much more poorly NA is received than POP is, and how our core characters won't even be complete after 2015, while yours will be (as far as I know anyway) you may chose to vote as I do, or to at least put the original NA figures above all else. Either way you vote, please keep in mind that we can, and perhaps we even need to help each other in these polls.
    What you're doing is making the poll worthless. If people are voting politically, or making deals, then the polls will not be accurate, and we will all know the polls are worthless.
    Top want list: Evil Seed, Snake Mountain Man, Mask of Power Demons, Dree-Elle, Uncle Montork, Mini-Comics Beast-Man, 200x Beast-Man, Teela 2.0, Battle-Ram, Snake Mountain, & a hardcover collection of all the mini-comics.

Co-moderator at the Mike Mignola Appreciation Station on Facebook.

Heroic Warrior
    How about if people just vote for characters in the order they actually like them? Also this poll is not the be all end all deciding factor on what gets produced in 2016 and beyond just another tool Mattel can take into consideration if (and hopefully) they are still making figures in 2016.

Just an FYI. So far Vintage NA figures have been doing very well in the poll results. Many have won their poll at #1. So trying to rank them higher because you're afraid they won't do well may not really be necessary--thus far they've been doing exceptionally well. NA will always have haters, but on average it's looking like this will be one of the more wanted factions come 2016.

Of course it's still early in the tournament, but thus far all vintage NA has move forward in the rounds, and generally they're in the top couple of spots in their respective polls. (Now Jetlag is a different story, and outside of your series regular types I don't think that many have been moving forward from Jetlag, same with some lesser known NA prototypes and stuff like that).
    Last edited by InspectorZartan; April 4, 2014 at 04:18am.
    TOP 44 WANTS
    VINTAGE:Peekablue/Dragstor/Perfuma/Saurod
    NA:Crita/Darius/Nocturna/Sagitar/Sebrian/Tuskador/Kayo/Lizzor/
    Andros/Hoove/Quakke/Vizar/Butthead/Artilla/Spinwit/Staghorn
    TROLLA:DreeElle/Montork/Oracle/Gorpo
    FILMATION:Kittrina/Sunder/Twiggets/Masque/Dylamug/Vultak/Granita/Malektha
    200X:Veena/Miro/Hawke/Prahvus/EvilSeed/Illumina/Ceratus
    MISC:Lodar/Delora/Dare/MaskOfPowerDemons/LtAndra

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Just vote for the figures you want (keeping in mind that anyone asking for Smash Blade He-Man may have to deal with a half crazed grumpy old dragon somewhere down the line... ).

I understand the feelings here, but 2016 is going to be VERY iffy to begin with, and I think it would have a better chance of going through if the polls TRULY reflect what the majority of folks want. Voting up NA, POP, and any other faction without genuine support behind them could mean the sub doesn't make it and no one gets anything (and keep in mind this is coming from someone who thinks MOTU is only half a mythos without POP, and someone who gets a nervous tick at the words "Smash Blade" who nonetheless championed a Skeletor variant to fill out NA).
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Merry Christmas! The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by No-Ah View Post
    What you're doing is making the poll worthless. If people are voting politically, or making deals, then the polls will not be accurate, and we will all know the polls are worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    Just vote for the figures you want (keeping in mind that anyone asking for Smash Blade He-Man may have to deal with a half crazed grumpy old dragon somewhere down the line... ).

I understand the feelings here, but 2016 is going to be VERY iffy to begin with, and I think it would have a better chance of going through if the polls TRULY reflect what the majority of folks want. Voting up NA, POP, and any other faction without genuine support behind them could mean the sub doesn't make it and no one gets anything (and keep in mind this is coming from someone who thinks MOTU is only half a mythos without POP, and someone who gets a nervous tick at the words "Smash Blade" who nonetheless championed a Skeletor variant to fill out NA).
    Agreed. Vote for who you really want. That shouldn't just be for he-man.org polls.

NA is always on top for me too

NA is also at the top for me. While I was not a fan of NA before MOTUC, I am now. I watched the entire series, which was hard to get through and I will probably not watch again. I also was able to get most of the figures MOSC (except the last year of variant figs). I really like the NA toy line and think the NA toys translate very well into MOTUC toys.

MOTUC is a toy line after all and all the existing NA figures need MOTUC treatment in my opinion.
    MOTU Vintage Visual Figure Checklist *Updated link - major thanks to motuportugal*

MOTUC from Vintage Visual Checklist *Updated link - major thanks to motuportugal*

My Feedback Thread

I have amended my voting style, to more accurately reflect my personal taste, in light of the great points made in this thread. I will say this, if anyone chooses to do what I had promoted in this threads opening post, it should be abandoned for the next round. It is one thing to push them along when the choices include so many obscure characters, but continuing that method until the end would be devastating to the end result of the polls. I didn't think about that until just now, but I will be altering the OP to include that suggestion. Btw, I really only voted that way for one poll (poll 13), because my method had to evolve to that point over the course of the first polls.

I think there is nothing wrong with a certain voting style or pattern as long as it reflects your personal taste. I put NA toys at the top and most variants, especially Filmation and 200x-toy variants at the bottom alongside most Jetlag characters. There are a few exceptions, of course: MAster Sebrian was high in my list despite him being a Jetlag character. New 52 Goddess was top, New 52 He-Man botoom. But there is a general pattern that I follow.
    Awesome sticker included!