View Poll Results: Which Star Sisters Do You Want For MOTUC?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Toy Prototypes!!!

20 22.99%
  • Designs From The POP Poster!!!

1 1.15%
  • Filmation!!!

2 2.30%
  • I Can't Decide!!!

2 2.30%
  • What We're Getting From The 4H Is Perfect!!!

38 43.68%
  • I'm Not Interested In Any Of Them!!!

22 25.29%
  • Other (please explain)!!!

2 2.30%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Star Sisters Do You Want For MOTUC?

Which Star Sisters Do You Want For MOTUC?

As big a fan as I am of Masters Of The Universe & Princess Of Power, I knew nothing about the Star Sisters before joining this site. I wasn't even particularly excited about them when the rumor was leaked that they'd be revealed at SDCC. After having seen them, they are now one of my favorite MOTUC items shown at the con.

They, like most characters in this franchise, had different designs that The Four Horsemen could have picked from. Since I'm pretty new to these characters and they are pretty obscure to a lot of you out there, I'm interested to see what version is most popular.

Which Star Sisters Do You Want For MOTUC?

Toy Prototypes?

Designs From The Princess Of Power Poster?

Filmation?

What We're Getting From The Four Horsemen?

Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; July 31, 2011 at 10:56pm.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

my vote was toy prototypes i just think the colors look better but i do like what we are getting

the King needs his Queen and pet! Queen Veena and Battle Lion for MOTUC!

For the Love of Illumina & her Cat Sleetah!!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/156251727799742/
    my Feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205099
    my sale page http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205041

See the thing is, and I'm glad to see the votes going the way of "Perfect" overwhelmingly so far, is that the MOTUC has continuously been exactly what at least I want as a fan, more or less.

I'm on the same page as the 4h obviously, or Mattel.

The star sisters are a perfect amalgam of the best parts of the star sisters, and really look more like the most common depictions of them as is.

What I think people should be more concerned with is their bio(s) becasuse really, this family is basically an unknown and each individual character hopefully gets a good explination as to what they are, or where they fit into the mythos.

As I've said before on other threads, these MOTUC are now my Star Sisters, they never made an impression on me before now. And it seems most of the illistrations back that up more or less.

And no, I'm not anti POP toys just because I want the Filmation character Style Guide ect ect. I really was overjoyed to get obvious Filmation POP so far. I really would like a Toy Catra at least. Heheh.

I voted for "What We're Getting From The 4H Is Perfect".

I prefer the poster's designs since they look a lot more colorful to me than the vintage toys, but I'm happy the 4H kept the "mohawk" on Glory Bird since it makes him/her stand out more from all of the various Zoar repaints.

I do wish the faces on them were a little closer to either the vintage toys or the poster's, but I realize I'll never be entirely happy with the way the 4H do female faces. Also, even though I am happy with MOTUC Tallstar, I'd be curious to see what she'd look like in a top closer to that which she wore on the POP cartoon.

JOIN THE GROUP...

I can already tell you that the "What We're Getting From The 4H Is Perfect" option is going to continue to be the leading vote.

I'm starting to wonder if it's even worth polling on the Star Sisters, because several folks have already stated that they only want one set of the gals in MOTUC, or aren't interested in them at all. (but maybe they would have been if the prototypes were shown first) So even if they did like the toy prototypes better, I feel like many of those folks will vote for the opposite so that Mattel doesn't put out alternate versions.

Honestly, I don't think this poll is going to accurately represent which look is truly more popular. Before these versions were revealed, hands-down the toy prototypes were the most desired/discussed on these boards. If the vast majority felt that the poster based-versions were better looking, they didn't come out in droves to make that known in any of the threads over the years.

If the toy prototype versions were revealed first, I truly believe those versions would be the top vote right now.
    Last edited by Tallstar; August 1, 2011 at 05:00am.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    If the toy prototype versions were revealed first, I truly believe those versions would be the top vote right now.
    Personally speaking, when I finally saw the Star Sisters for the first time, it was a link on this forum to a picture of the toy prototypes. In fact, I don't think I even saw the poster until this year. Even though they look like grown up versions of Rainbow Brite characters, I just like how colorful they are. I guess Jewelstar isn't, but Filmation's version of her seems to be the only one that is multicolored.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not against anyone getting vintage toy based POP characters in the future. While they aren't my style of choice, they definitely have their place in MOTU/POP history. I've always thought second heads with rooted hair would make more sense for MOTUC than 2002 heads would. It fits with the whole "based on vintage designs" thing that seems to be this line's main driving force.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; August 1, 2011 at 05:18am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

JOIN THE GROUP...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    Personally speaking, when I finally saw the Star Sisters for the first time, it was a link on this forum to a picture of the toy prototypes. In fact, I don't think I even saw the poster until this year.
    Thanks for your honesty, Mr. Shokoti. This is exactly what I was trying to convey in my repaints/variants thread. -- The poster/magazine content hasn't had as strong of a circulating presence online over the years. Even when those images were finally posted to the web, the catalog was still the top choice when folks needed a visual to go along with their posts on the Star Sisters in MOTUC.

As far as official content goes, the Star Sisters were drawn closer to the depictions in the catalog (especially Tallstar) on the card art for the exclusive DVD set. I think it's safe to say this is what most folks were expecting to see in MOTUC.

By no means am I trying to diminish the importance of the magazine, or saying that I don't appreciate the versions we're getting. I'm just stating how it went down over the years.

I don't doubt that there's some folks who genuinely prefer these after seeing the prototypes, however, in the process of posting about their satisfaction, some of those folks seem to be trying to undermine the importance of those catalog images.

Other/combination

Jewelstar - I would've liked for her to have been based on the prototype, all translucent ans stuff

Tallstar - Perfect as is based on the poster colors, the "star" of the pack if you will

Starla - eh, if she was based on the prototype I'd be able to have a better idea how they'll design Peekablue

Looking at the it juist occured to me, right this minute , that there were really no hybrid elements like with Bow, hmmm....
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

Other/Combo
    Jewelstar: I'd prefer something closer to the prototype... (More crystal-like pieces)
    Starla:As-is minus the crown
    Tallstar:As-is but with Prototype colors.
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

I'm a big supporter of POP in the line and hope to see more than 2 or 3 POP figures a year.

Still, I have no personal connection to these characters, so I'm satisfied with what we are getting. Either way, though, I would still be just as satisfied if they looked like the filmation versions or the toy prototypes. I guess it just doesn't matter to me. I'll get two sets no matter what.

I would be fine if these were delayed to re-do them if there is enough support for that as I am in no rush for these characters either.

I would not support varients of these characters taking up A-List quarterly slots. There are more than enough varients of the main characters (Sorceress, Evil-Lyn, Skeletor, He-Man, She-Ra, Catra, Hordak, etc.) and I just don't see these characters as important enough to the mythology to warrent varients.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I voted for the toy prototypes. They are more detailed and more intricate with their sculpts, especially Jewelstar. Tallstar also extends at the waist in the vintage toy and was to have silver, vac-metalized chest "armour." Like Hurricane Hordak has. The vintage Star Sisters also have more accessories and Jewelstar AND Starla have nothing to emulate their action features, like ALL MOTUC figures thus far have. Where's Jewelstar's jewel form (like the Rock Men's rock forms)? Where is Starla's "exploding star| back pack? It was either going to be light up, or full of liquid to move around the stars inside (think snowglobe).

I also fully believe those COLOURS translate better into MOTUC. They are darker, like all of MOTUC (minus Evil-Lyn and Sy-Klone) and the colours are more "average guy friendly." The poster colours are the girliest colours anyone ever could have chosen for MOTUC...especially Jewelstar! Her toy was translucent reddish pink with sparkles in it...and they made her cotton candy pink! Tallstar was a silver, deep purple and maroon...and they make her blue, orange and metallic light purple!

I whole-heartedly agree. This poll is kind of a moot point, because they have been "on show" already and the vast majority are always going with what the 4H choose now. If they were painted fluorescent green and dirt brown I think a lot of people would be saying that they're perfect and don't need changing...

To get a TRULY accurate look at what people though BEFORE SDCC, just look at any of the Star Sister threads (there are quite a few). The vast majority wanted the toys (including people who ONLY love FIlmation and think the PoP toys are an abomination) because they thought the Filmation and magazine versions were hideous or VERY hard on the eyes because of their garish colour choices.

This, also, is a moot point (because Mattel has the rights to everything except the movie now), but Mattel ONLY had the rights to make the Star Sisters based on the prototypes! I have no idea how the heck we winded up with these versions at all! Mattel told us they did NOT have the rights to the magazines when people asked for a Strobo figure. They didn't have Filmation at the time either. So...that leaves the toys. Like I said, it doesn't matter now...but they didn't have the rights to the Star Sisters' likeness they used at the time. I know Mattel has since said "we can make any toy in any colour..." but these SCULPTS are 100% magazine accurate...so...no.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Supreme Sorceress Queen Grayskull's Avatar
    The Star Sisters we'll get next year in MotUC are perfect! I'm absolutely satisfied with their design!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I also fully believe those COLOURS translate better into MOTUC. They are darker, like all of MOTUC (minus Evil-Lyn and Sy-Klone) and the colours are more "average guy friendly."
    That's the thing too. A lot of the original POP figures and style guide depictions have "dominant" pastels in their color schemes, so I was never expecting that EVERY POP figure was going to seamlessly fit in with the darker MOTU palette. But the toy prototype versions of the Star Sisters were/are extra exciting to me, because they're the rare few in POP (Double Trouble is another) that are in-line with the bulk of MOTU. I love Tallstar's almost robotic looking arms in the catalog.
    Last edited by Tallstar; August 1, 2011 at 09:56am.

Beast of 1000 Bottles Hordaiquiri's Avatar
    I voted toy prototypes, but what the 4H have given us are perfectly fine. (gonna break out some paints though, hee hee)

Honestly, if we were given the choice just between the poster versions and the Filmation versions, the poster versions would win for me, hands down. I'd rank them:

Toy > Poster >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Filmation

So, I'm happy with what we're getting. If we get revisions, that'd be unexpected and awesome, but for now, I'm pleased.
    Vintage NA for MOTUC!! LET'S GO~~
    MOTUC wants: KAYO, Angella, Perfuma, Peekablue, Darius, Drissi, Sebrian, Crita, Hoove, Mara, Staghorn, Crystoll, Quakke, B.H., Lizzor, Lord Masque, Chef Allen, Sssqueeze, Clawdeen, Granita, Hunga, Kothos, King Ahgo, the Twiggets, Meteorbs
    Great .org transactions: sdilks, Man-E-Toys, bigassbuzz x2, Climan, wolvie3579, air23cnhit, Jestermon

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hordaiquiri View Post
    I voted toy prototypes, but what the 4H have given us are perfectly fine. (gonna break out some paints though, hee hee)

Honestly, if we were given the choice just between the poster versions and the Filmation versions, the poster versions would win for me, hands down. I'd rank them:

Toy > Poster >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Filmation

So, I'm happy with what we're getting. If we get revisions, that'd be unexpected and awesome, but for now, I'm pleased.
    I also like the poster versions better than Filmation...except for maybe Jewelstar. I'm not a big fan of her Filmation colouring, but her sculpting is more detailed. So, for me it goes toy 1st, poster 2nd and Filmation a distant third.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

I can already tell you that the "What We're Getting From The 4H Is Perfect" option is going to continue to be the leading vote.
    Just like with the Man E Faces color vote. People voted in mass for the worst choice (middle ground) because that is what Mattel showed them. It seems people don't have the vision or imagination to see what things could become.

A picture is worth a thousand votes.
    I just published my very first ebook: Malediction! A short story of monsters and magic!
    Buy it now on Amazon or Barnes and Noble!

Print version, also available!

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    happy they are a three pack. brilliant!

I can already tell you that the "What We're Getting From The 4H Is Perfect" option is going to continue to be the leading vote...
    That's brilliant and should totally be a choice for any future votes!
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by davidlogan View Post
    Just like with the Man E Faces color vote. People voted in mass for the worst choice (middle ground) because that is what Mattel showed them. It seems people don't have the vision or imagination to see what things could become.

A picture is worth a thousand votes.
    This I agree with. I used to think that was the specific reason why the half & half Man-E-Faces was the only design shown before the vote(Mattel was trying to manipulate the outcome), but since the toy we're getting looks like the cardback, there goes that little theory of mine. I will say, since I saw the vintage toys, the poster designs, and the Filmation designs before the SDCC reveal, my preference of the poster designs was all me. Now I may have bad taste, but it wasn't Mattel or the 4H that led me to it.

In fact, the Star Sisters & The Sorceress(the inside of her wings are now orange & blue instead of the previously all orange) are the rare times where I agreed with the 4H on what they used as a basis for a sculpt or the various "upgrades" they added to the characters for MOTUC. While I think they do good work, I am often as hard on the 4H as some fans are on ToyGuru.

JOIN THE GROUP...

I'm starting to wonder if it's even worth polling on the Star Sisters, because several folks have already stated that they only want one set of the gals in MOTUC, or aren't interested in them at all. (but maybe they would have been if the prototypes were shown first) So even if they did like the toy prototypes better, I feel like many of those folks will vote for the opposite so that Mattel doesn't put out alternate versions.

Honestly, I don't think this poll is going to accurately represent which look is truly more popular. Before these versions were revealed, hands-down the toy prototypes were the most desired/discussed on these boards. If the vast majority felt that the poster based-versions were better looking, they didn't come out in droves to make that known in any of the threads over the years.

No, I dont think so.

Why cant it just be that to see them as actual MOTUC toys, people were just overwhelmed with how good it looks?

I for one have seen plenty of cases where someone, or many someones were anti A character until they saw how cool they looked as MOTUC toys.

So the Actually revealed toys were (maybe) supprisingly awesome. I dont see what's so hard to believe.

I'd argue that any polls from before were just diehard fans, and evidently they were prototype fans.

But now that we have an actual very visible wide ranging release of these characters, people who maybe didnt care about them originally (myself included) or never really knew about the what appears to be most common look for them, have seen this is the perfect version.

I think to say that for some reason this poll is invalid is strange. I think people's opinions have obviously changed, and maybe people who didnt vote before, or did, decided to make their opinion heard. Clearly this is a satisfying set.

But hey, if it makes you feel better...cool. They look great, they look like "them" and other than Jewelstar maybe being entirely clear plastic (would have been cool) it's exactly what MOTUC Star Sisters should be.

But hey, it's just my opinion. But I'm glad it seems to be the prevailing opinion. Not that I'm against the toy proto style, just that I dont see the exicution of the Toys as being that deviated from them, taking into consideration how MOTUC would simplify the cloth and rooted hair accessories, ect. That plus the toy proto's are clearly the least definative version of these characters, so they made the right choice.

Much how many like the He-Man origin that predates Prince Adam, and they certainly have a good reason as he's pretty cool, clearly Prince Adam becomes He-Man is the definative version of He-Man, so that's what they went with. What's the suprise there?

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Not interested in any of them personally...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    I'd argue that any polls from before were just diehard fans, and evidently they were prototype fans.
    So you're basically saying fans got it wrong for the last decade or so? Ooookay.

Even if it was just 'diehard' fans giving their input all these years (totally not true), what difference would that make? The main reason Mattel and the 4H favor style guide versions of POP characters, is because the vast majority of collectors on these boards prefer them to the vintage toys and make it known in various threads/through feedback. So how does it make sense to go against what the majority were asking for in this special case?

This poll definitely isn't going to be anywhere near accurate, so far as showing which is the preferred version. That's not me 'trying to make myself feel better'. There's just too much of a reason right now for a lot of the "I only want one version of the Star Sisters, so we can get other characters, so I don't have to spend another $60 etc." folks to vote against them.

Additionally, this poll isn't designed to determine what version the uninterested subscribers prefer, if they had to choose. But even if they were polled, the results would be skewed as many of those collectors would go for the existing version that was shown, to spare themselves from potentially having to get another $60 set.

Has anyone asked Mattel about doing a separate POP toyline that is closer to the original vintage toys? They could even do something similar to what they are doing with the DCUC sub(waiting to see how many subscribers they get before making it official). This isn't my subtle way of saying I want POP separate from MOTU since I've always preferred the 2 lines to be a part of one canon ala Filmation. I just feel that Mattel is never going to make any POP characters look exactly like the vintage toys due to all of the guys who say online how much they hate She-Ra & her friends. I honestly feel there might be a bigger market for them than there would be for a separate MOTU 2002 line.

JOIN THE GROUP...

I voted for "what we got is perfect"...

I think TG listened to us. I remember making a comment a long time ago (one I'm sure others have also said) that it would be really smart to do the Star Sisters sooner than later because they would really "catch up" POP in MOTUC. And they have!

With 13 vintage characters remaining (at 2-3 a year), plus any of the terrific Filmation characters, we're sure to get an awesome collection of Princess of Power!
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

I voted for "What We're Getting From The 4H Is Perfect!!!"

Tallstar mentioned that there was a lot of talk about the prototypes for the last several years. The toy prototypes were the only images I ever saw other then the FILMation versions, until the SDCC panel reveled the MOTUC figures. I then saw the magazine artwork that they were based on after the reveal. Even though I didn't know of the magazine look I'm happy that is what they went with. I do like the translucent idea for Jewelstar, but on the head design on the toy prototype. I'd would have loved for the MOTUC Jewelstar to be translucent but I think after the problems with The Goddess Mattel was afraid to go there again. It would have also meant more tooling as the torso of JS is a dress covering like the other girls and it would have to be whole new solid torso to look right.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"