Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Counterfeit MOTUC... I'm getting worried

Counterfeit MOTUC... I'm getting worried

A few days ago I ordered some sealed MOTUC figures from an eBay seller from Eastern Europe, the prices were about £25-£35 each.

After watching the following video on YouTube, I am getting really concerned about receiving knock-offs.

What are the chances?

**Please read and follow forum rules on posting non-embedded YouTube videos. Thanks! **

Edit: Sorry about that . Fixed.

Last edited by Dr_SLUMP; August 1, 2011 at 03:35pm.

There are counterfeit MOTUC???

Hong Kong is where they manufacterer the figures, its possible they are production samples boxed up and sold by the people who work/steal from the factory
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

That's what I would assume but in the video that guy states that the plastic and paint job are inferior...

Last year I bought some Knock-off G1 Transformers from Hong Kong because their boxes looked perfect for my originals. To my surprise, the overall build quality, detail and packing are ridiculously close to the originals.

I spent almost £300 for these MOTUCs, I really feel uncomfortable after watching that video :/

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_slump View Post
    Last year I bought some Knock-off G1 Transformers from Hong Kong because their boxes looked perfect for my originals. To my surprise, the overall build quality, detail and packing are ridiculously close to the originals.
    Well, there's a pretty good chance they came out of original G1-era moulds, AIUI...

Yes, the figure in the video looks like it, the molds must be the same. However, I can't accept spending so much for something that's not officially made.

Does anyone here have any doubts about any of their figures? All of mine so far seem to have a serial number, I guess that this is the main way to identify them. On the other hand, faking a serial number doesn't seem hard for them.

Looks like it's a partially painted production sample...
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

He says the bootleg has a better belt, and I find that -- alternately -- hilarious and pathetic.
    Roast Gooble Dinner podcast Appendix & Notations
    Doughnuts & Top Cow podcast Co-Host
    @joshcrawley

Heroic Warrior
    They start selling cheap MOTUC bucks on eBay instead of trying to say they're all "prototypes", I'm there.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Who knows if it's a test shot, first run, sample figure, or a bootleg. The gun looks pretty cheap on the "bootleg" though. I like no stamp on his foot though.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    He says the bootleg has a better belt, and I find that -- alternately -- hilarious and pathetic.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

And they chose to bootleg Zodac of all characters?

Heroic Warrior
    Can't say that video was very helpful Yeah I don't know how profitable making counterfeit MOTUC can be?

Could be the employees at the factory working "after hours" I know that there were people working for Nike doing that at one point. I know this one ebay seller from Hong Kong was selling dirty, inferior looking bootleg MOTUC figures with only 1 accessory.

I think you'll be fine Dr. Slump

Not that I didn't want him flocked, but I wouldn't mind a Moss Man without flocking

Heroic Warrior
    First of all... I don't think I'd lose any sleep over this. Unless your a MOC collector looking to sell a bunch of original's for massive money... which I don't think would be very realistic.

Whether you open them and play... or keep them on the wall and just look at them... That Zodac in the video seems QUITE nice. It seems to be an excellent toy.

That said, I didn't see any actual evidence that it was a bootleg. Sadly Mattel's quality leaves a lot to be desired. A slightly off paint scheme, a missing stamp on the foot... doesn't mean it didn't come from mattel. Half my figures have paint that's 'off' from the reviews I'd seen...Who Knows, maybe the ankles will be tighter!!

I seem to remember a lot of people complaing about the 'made in china' stamp on the weapons pack II stuff.. (can't remember if it was the black roboto weapons, or She-ra's sword....

Either way, MINE didn't have it on it... Soooo.... I don't know WHAT to say about it...

I think I'm with the people who say WHY would anyone bootleg Zodac??

But regardless... If you spent a lot of money to complete a collection.... ENJOY your collection. Don't let rumors or doubts ruin the awesome feelings of having MOTUC figures

This is a worry with Shadow Weaver coming up.

Evil Overlord of Spandex CptSpandex's Avatar
    Wow! As a sportscard collector and seller, I am used to working to avoid counterfeits and the like, but, typically that is done when things can be sold for BIG TIME profits. If a sheet of 40 or 50 counterfeit Michael Jordan rookie card can be produced by the boatload on cardstock and resold for $1200 a piece, there is clearly a huge amount of profit that can be made.

But the market for retired MOTUC is in some cases below launch value. And, of course, Matty has refreshed some of those characters more than once.

I don't get it. How are these counterfeits worth the potential price of being caught?

On another note, this video may not be accurate. And did the person shooting the video state that he bought the toy in its package? I find it even more unbelievable that there are counterfeits that are being produced packaged.
    Last edited by CptSpandex; August 2, 2011 at 07:00am.

Quote Originally Posted by Atomicdios View Post
    This is a worry with Shadow Weaver coming up.
    You're right...I bet Shadow Weaver doesn't come with the serial number on her foot.

OMG....does that mean my 1st edition He-Man with the correct shoulders is a bootleg?

Quote Originally Posted by Southzen View Post
    Not that I didn't want him flocked, but I wouldn't mind a Moss Man without flocking
    just dip him in water lol boom no flocking

the King needs his Queen and pet! Queen Veena and Battle Lion for MOTUC!

For the Love of Illumina & her Cat Sleetah!!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/156251727799742/
    my Feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205099
    my sale page http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205041

Quote Originally Posted by WDWFreak53 View Post
    You're right...I bet Shadow Weaver doesn't come with the serial number on her foot.
    It could come on the bottom of her stand or on the inside ofnher robe
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

I saw this video like a year ago. It's a pre-production sample not a KO.

Evil Overlord of Spandex CptSpandex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    I saw this video like a year ago. It's a pre-production sample not a KO.
    That makes far more sense!

Heroic Warrior
    I just bought a Blue Mer-Man from China for $16.99 with free shipping, should I be worried? Nah. Better than having to buy him with Aquaman was my rationale.

I sometimes buy these Japanese figures called Figmas and this problem is rampant there. The have KOs of them, mostly the popular characters and the expensive exclusive ones. The boxes are so close it is not funny. They sometimes bundle there figs with PSP games and those are often sold loose but sometimes in boxes. The things to look for on them are cheaper feeling boxes, not completely printed boxes, missing logos or trademarks.

On the figures themselves are to look for sloppy paint or not fully painted pieces or areas (which actually happens on real MOTUC all the time), missing joints, cheap or not fully painted accessories (also real MOTUC again).

One of the other big bootlegs beside all the TFs, which there are some people who feel some of the bootleg ones are better than the originals and then the whole third party debate which is essentally well liked bootlegs, are in the Gundam models. Those are easy to spot, they have BENDAI logos vs BANDAI, or just say Model GD, or even have wrong art. It would be like getting a figure from the MOTU series and it has NA character all over it. Maybe look for different logos on the package like instead of MATTEL it will say MATLLE or maybe little Matty on the bottom will look weird.
    Gaping holes in my collection: Regular old Teela, Weapons pack 1, Power & Honour book 1, SDCC artbook (maybe)

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    I'm shocked, shocked, I tell you, that there may be versions of the figures out there inferior in quality to Mattel's figures.

I didn't think that was actually possible.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman