Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Counterfeit MOTUC... I'm getting worried

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    I don't think a bootleg would look anywhere near that. Usually bootlegs have plastic hanging off the figure from its moldings, the paint would be the wrong colors, etc. Plus, he did not show any packaging to prove it was from a bootleg. There are sellers from China all the time that sell DCU figures, none of them have the number under the feet, but they are not bootlegs.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    I don't think a bootleg would look anywhere near that. Usually bootlegs have plastic hanging off the figure from its moldings, the paint would be the wrong colors, etc. Plus, he did not show any packaging to prove it was from a bootleg. There are sellers from China all the time that sell DCU figures, none of them have the number under the feet, but they are not bootlegs.
    Usually they look like Dollar Store toys, but not all, a lot of Transformers look like direct from Hasbro releases...complete with mold markings, and TMs, because the figure is reverse engineered and during making the molds they can fix any looseness issues...so half and half....some look like hollow plastic wannabees, but some look dead on, and hard to spot.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

i have bought 4 figures from a china seller on ebay... tri klops,Zodak Beastman & Stratos to be used for customs. they were not more than 12 a pop.. they came sealed in a thin plastic bag.... i didn't notice any difference in plastic... i assumed these were stolen off the belt or something....
    ive bought a few MU figures from the same seller...they often have protos and odd combos of figures and weapons....
    "I DENY YOU THE NIDUS!!"

Realist. Deal with it. Lord Anubis's Avatar
    I support bootlegs if they are better than 90 percent of the broken crap that shows up at my house from Matty.
    "We are the tools of our own imagination, constructing temples and cathedrals in which our most outlandish dreams become truth." - Samael

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Executioner View Post
    I just bought a Blue Mer-Man from China for $16.99 with free shipping, should I be worried? Nah. Better than having to buy him with Aquaman was my rationale.
    Ready to eat my words. My Blue Mer-Man just arrived and he is a complete piece of junk. His left ankle joint is elongated and really loose, he has innumerable discolorations and the paint application on the face is the worst I have ever seen. One eye is looking out to the right, while the other is looking skyward. He looks like he has special needs. The only thing this figure is good for is customs, but since I don't make customs he's headed for the used toys bin. Ridiculous. AVOID! AVOID! AVOID!

Quote Originally Posted by Executioner View Post
    Ready to eat my words. My Blue Mer-Man just arrived and he is a complete piece of junk. His left ankle joint is elongated and really loose, he has innumerable discolorations and the paint application on the face is the worst I have ever seen. One eye is looking out to the right, while the other is looking skyward. He looks like he has special needs. The only thing this figure is good for is customs, but since I don't make customs he's headed for the used toys bin. Ridiculous. AVOID! AVOID! AVOID!
    If an auction says the seller is in China..I tend to stay awy...especially if the shipping is like $8...and on the other hand when shipping is as much as you pay...$20 purchase + $20 shipping not thanks there too. I just don't trust buying from China...for one thing, something is always missing...weapons...armor...something that makes me click the bye bye button.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Anubis View Post
    I support bootlegs if they are better than 90 percent of the broken crap that shows up at my house from Matty.
    if you get THAT much broken stuff why buy? I stopped buying ML because I found the quality sucked. despite and exploding crotch goddess and a loose ankle mossman and adam, all the other 'issues' with my figures are nothing. a paint slop here and there (on my figures) aren't noticeable until you look for it.

As much as I believe the quality control issues need a lot of work, the line isn't the lemon that people make it out to be. if it were then all the figures would fall apart and none of us would buy any of them despite how they look.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

I had this problem about 4 months ago with counterfeit NECA Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I had a set of the originals, and knew what to expect down to a nitpicking comparison level.
    These fakes were extremely well made, packaging was great, colors almost completely matched in paints... I didn't realize they were KO until I opened one. The plastic has a far more pungent smell to it, the paint was rubbing on to my fingers as I pulled it out of the package! I was disappointed at first, then I remembered my love of bootleg things.
    The problem I had with them was that I was deceived into buying what I thought was legit product. Not to say I wouldn't have bought the "cast in cheaper plastic and painted poorly" alternative... it's just the principle of it.
    Just know that when you order from there, not all of what you get is going to be on the up and up, but it'll look passable to the untrained eye.

As far as I am aware, there are no 'accurate' MOTUC bootlegs.

The ones you see being sold cheaply on ebay are actually factory rejects that were found in a bin or stolen from the factory.

Some time ago before Matty started doing re-releases, I tried to 'catch up' on figures that I had missed by buying from Ebay. I bought a She-Ra, Beastman, Evil-Lyn and Faker.

When I received the figures, it was very clear that they were factory rejects. Some were mis-assembled like Faker having two right forearms and Beastman was missing paint from his teeth. She-Ra had a very 'dirty' looking dress which was not actually dirt but some contaminant having mixed with the plastic during the molding process. Evil-Lyn's body had a similar flaw but on parts of her yellow skin instead.

What further made me think that they were factory rejects were that Faker had an unusual amount of Sun damage leaving me to think that it was probably thrown out in a bin and left outside for some days - That's the point where I became convinced they were factory rejects.

Another factor was that all the figures had different levels of 'looseness' in their joints so it also seems that the ebay sellers also piecemeal a 'good' figure from different rejects.

Quote Originally Posted by H.A.L.9000 View Post
    i have bought 4 figures from a china seller on ebay... tri klops,Zodak Beastman & Stratos to be used for customs. they were not more than 12 a pop.. they came sealed in a thin plastic bag.... i didn't notice any difference in plastic... i assumed these were stolen off the belt or something....
    ive bought a few MU figures from the same seller...they often have protos and odd combos of figures and weapons....
    I always seen stuff like that in HK. The one store in toy alley had figs in ziplocs hanging from a pegboard. They would always be there months before they would hit the US.

I often wonder about if the Chinese are out to bootleg everything. My ex-gf in China one time called me to warn me about buying bootleg eggs from the market. They had a strange chemical make up that would cause dementia.
    Gaping holes in my collection: Regular old Teela, Weapons pack 1, Power & Honour book 1, SDCC artbook (maybe)

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabulous View Post
    Could be the employees at the factory working "after hours" I know that there were people working for Nike doing that at one point. I know this one ebay seller from Hong Kong was selling dirty, inferior looking bootleg MOTUC figures with only 1 accessory.

I think you'll be fine Dr. Slump
    That was exactly what I was thinking.

Probably made (at least the parts) in the very same factory.