Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are your favorite MOTU characters obvious or obscure?

Are your favorite MOTU characters obvious or obscure?

I was just admiring my collection the other day, and it occurred to me that if I ever had to tell it, the two figures I absolutely would not part with would be Tri-Klops and Ram-Man. Those two were my favorite characters/figures as a kid, and they're the two I'd cling to if I ever had to part with my collection. And yet neither of them get a heck of a lot of attention or praise. The Ram-Man figure was definitely heralded when it was released, but I rarely see him or Tri-Klops mentioned as favorite characters or figures.

So, I was curious if I was the only one whose favorite villain and hero were so seemingly random. I assume the majority of fans would pick He-Man, Skeletor, Hordak, She-Ra, Man-at-Arms, Teela, etc. as their favorites. Wondering if there are those who'd say, "Nah, when it comes to favorites I love me some Webstor and Moss Man above all others!"
    Who's Who of the Masters of the Universe: my on-going project of MOTU character information, including bios, powers, weaknesses, weapons, stats and trivia.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm with you on Ram-Man, Wakko. Rammy's been my absolute favorite Heroic Warrior ever since I was kid. I loved the toy's action feature, and the Filmation character was just so much fun. But, for the Evil Warriors, it's definitely Skeletor (toy and toon).

My favorites are: Stinkor, Whiplash, Mer-Man, Sy-Klone, Buzz-Off, Ram-Man, and Two-Bad.

MOST WANTED:
    Ice Armor He-Man, Sagitar, Fang-Or, Major Header, Granita, Great Black Wizard, Despara, Quakke, Master Sebrian, NA Prince Adam, Tuvar, Bahdrah, Illumina, Crita, Dylamug, 200X Prince Adam, Songster, Filmation Evil Seed & Marzo, Stridor, Night Stalker, & Snake Mountain.

*My iTrader Feedback
    *My MOTU_Maniac Feedback Thread

When we're talking straight-up classic toy MOTU, my favorites have always been a mix of obvi and obscure(ish... as in, they don't appear much in the MOTU mediaverse):
    Zodac
    Evil-Lyn
    Scareglow
    Teela
    Rokkon
    Mekaneck
    Sy-Klone
    Modulok
    Extendar
    Faker
    Tri-Klops
    The Next 13 I Need To Have: Lord Masque, Classic Toy Costume Catra, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Granita, Bould-Or, Crita, Lady Slither, Bubblor, Major Header, Compactor, Queen Elmora (She-Demon Of Phantos)

Well, I have to admit that my 2 favorites are He-Man and Skeletor. But I will say that those were the first 2 action figures I ever had as a kid. They were my transition out of Little People and Tinker Toys into the glorious realm of action figures.

My next 2 favorites would be Man at Arms and Faker. So I guess Faker might count as obscure. And if they get around to making Leo Faker it would be my definitive Faker.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Heroic Warrior Teacher of Madness's Avatar
    In reality where I get to keep them all I think Ram man and Trap jaw are some of the nicest figures, but I enjoy having relative obscurities Extendar and Plundor about as much.

If it came down to a point where I could only keep one or two figures for whatever reason though it would have to be the first release versions of He-Man and Skeletor.

When I was a kid, I got Panther and Skeletor Christmas of '86. They were kind of my most prized of the vintage. The one fig that I remember picking out at the toy store (Kaybee, I think) was Webstor.

I still enjoy those figures in their MOTUC forms but as far as figs I admire I would have to add...

Scareglow - This figure reminds me of a lot of my favorite things from the 80's
    Catra - Too much of the filmation Catra is too much but this fig is one the most superior female figures in any line

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    My favorite are mostly the obscure.

FFM Dawg-o-tor, FFM shield maiden sherrilyn, fearless photon, flipshot, demo-man, vikor, fisto, jitsue, keldor, count marzo, king hiss, snake warriors, eternian guards, chief carnivus, BA he-man, shadow beast, kronis, zodac, zodak, webstor, whiplash, SA man-at-arms, stratos, BA evil-lyn, NA he-man, scareglow, he-ro, clamp champ, griffin
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

Obvious A-list characters
    I HAVE THE POWER!!!!!!!!

I like the obscure characters (and want figures of them) but all my absolute favorites are among the obvious A-listers.
    TOP WANTS
    NA:Crita/Darius/Nocturna/Sagitar/Sebrian/Tuskador/Kayo/Lizzor/Andros/
    Hoove/Quakke/Vizar/Butthead/Artilla/Spinwit/Staghorn
    TROLLA:DreeElle/Montork/Oracle/Gorpo
    FILMATION:Kittrina/Sunder/Masque/Dylamug/Vultak/Malektha/Twiggets/Granita
    200X:Miro/Hawke/Illumina/BoneWarrior/ABCGiants
    MISC:Lodar/Delora/Dare/MaskOfPowerDemons/LtAndre/EvilRobot
    BEAST:Stridor/Clawdeen/Storm/Bionotops

scaly 2014 Subscriber! Dragonblaster's Avatar
    I always had a thing for monsters and reptiles.
    So it shouldn't be too surprising that my favorites include Rattlor, Modulok, Leech, Scareglow and Saurod.
    Dactys therefore became an instant favorite on the side of the Defenders of Eternia.
    Press down on dragon's head. It will bite off your frickin' fingers !!!

Searching for this WORLD CLASS RESEARCH FACILITY I heard about.
    Favorite Heroic Warrior: Fisto
    Favorite Evil Warrior: Clawful
    Favorite Evil Horde: Leech
    Favorite Snake Men: Tung Lashor

Honorary mentions: Tri-Klops, Goat-man, Spikor, Strongarm.
    SKELETOR'S JOURNEY: You heard of Skeletor, Skeleteen and now Skelebaby? The saga of Skeletor's chronology to be continued in 2014. Stay tuned!!!

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    My favourite MOTU characters are a mixture of popular and obscure...

Teela
    Zodac
    Webstor
    Skeletor
    Evil-Lyn
    Rattlor
    Saurod
    Mermista
    Karg
    Mer-Man
    Buzz-Off
    King Hsss
    Shokoti
    Ninjor
    Snake Face
    Spikor
    Octavia
    Goddess
    Last edited by Orko's Magic Hat; March 6, 2015 at 07:25am.
    WISHLIST
    Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Sorceress of Serpos Teela ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~
    Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast Robowoman ~ DC He-Man ~ DC She-Ra ~ DC Stratos

My favorite MOTU characters include the Sorceress, Tri-Klops (loved his vintage mini-comic), Blast Attak, Scare Glow, Hordak, Sy-Klone, Kothos and the Robot Knights.

Of the MOTUC figures, my favorites are Fang-Man, Webstor, Queen Marlena, Granamyr, Shadow Weaver, Procrustus and Octavia.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    The Vintage/200X/MYP main cast are my all-time favorite MOTU characters.

(He-Man, "200X"* Man-At-Arms, Stratos, Pre-Filmation Teela, Ram Man, Man-E-Faces, Mekaneck, "200X" Buzz-Off, "200X" Fisto, "200X" Roboto, "200X" Moss Man, "200X" Sy-Klone, Extendar, Skeletor, Beast Man, Mer-Man, "200X" Evil-Lyn, Tri-Klops, Filmation Trap Jaw, Whiplash, "200X" Clawful, Webstor, "200X" Jitsu, "200X" Stinkor, Two Bad, Spikor, Ninjor, Scare Glow, Blast Attak, Hordak, Grizzlor, Leech, Mantenna, Modulok, Horde Troopers, "200X" King Hsss, Rattlor, Tung Lashor, Kobra Khan, Sssqueeze, Snake Face, Snake Men Army)

That being said...

MYP Zodak
    MYP Count Marzo
    The ABC Giants from MYP
    Evilseed
    Despara
    New 52 Green Goddess
    New 52 She-Ra
    Goat Man
    Draego Man
    Shadow Weaver
    Imp
    Icer

All of NA except for Kayo, Nocturna and Vizar.

* "200X" means Classics figures with their 200X accessories and heads.

The Blonde Teela Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Horde Wraiths • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

My favourite MOTU&c. characters:

Mer-Man
    Skeletor
    Scare-Glow
    Scorpia
    Leech
    Faker
    Stinkor
    Spikor
    Clawful
    Peekablue
    Castaspella
    Octavia
    Vultak
    Icer
    Draego-Man
    MOTUC Top 5 Wish List: FILMATION MER-MAN, Vultak, Hunga, Laser-Light Skeletor, Great Black Wizard.

Fisto, Ram-Man, Beast man in that order. Grabbing those if there were a fire. Then I'd go get my kids.

I assume you are talking favorite characters and not MOTUC figures.

My favorite heroic warrior: Rio Blast. The MOTUC version saddens me, but I loved this figure as a kid and assumed he was a grizzled Rooster Cogburn type guy.
    My favorite evil warrior: Scareglow. He was scary enough in my kid-canon that even Skeletor was afraid of him.

Other favorites are/were Extendar, Rokkon, Mosquitor, Plundor, Shadow Weaver, He-man, and Blade.

My favourites (probably since they were my favourite as a kid) are:

Stinkor
    Webstor
    Kobra Khan

Quote Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
    Are your favorite MOTU characters obvious or obscure?
    All my favorites come from the first two years of the Vintage line. He-Man, Skeletor, Teela, Yellow Evil-Lyn, Trap-Jaw, Ram-Man... I could go on. These will always be my favorites.
    My top 5 wants for MOTUC: Crita, Lodar, Hunga the Harpy, Sharella & Snake Goddess

FILMATION ruined my He-Man!

There are so many ways to think about what makes a "favourite"

I have favourite figures (based on their toyetic qualities) that have never been my favourites character-wise - and vice versa.

I also have a tendency to favour "story-important" characters like faction leaders and characters that are key to the history not just of the brand, but the fictional background as well. (These are the two categories I'd use to determine who I would keep vs. sell/save from a fire).

That's four categories for favourites that probably have different characters in each.

Of course, that's just me being a crazy fan. When I think about my most played with figures as a kid, I'd have to say that Blade tops the list. I remember when he came out how he dominated my character choice in almost every situation. I'd say that I didn't even have a favourite until he showed up. I can't even say why.
    Orko: It's like the Sorceress said: sometimes, the ones who seem the worst, need our help the most.
    He-Man: You're learning.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Favorite villains are Skeletor, Mer-Man, Two-Bad and Scare-Glow.

Favorite heroes are Man-E-Faces and Ram Man.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Mine are way too obvious, Mer-man and Zodac, mainly because they were my first figures as a kid (with He-man too, but he was a little too 'plain' for my kid's taste)

Is Panthor an obvious choice? Other would be Mer-Man.
    I have seen what others have not seen!

Faker (obvious?) and Shokoti (semi-obscure?), here. I personally think most of the heroic characters are aesthetically and dramatically uninteresting (put more bluntly, "boring"), so my favorites are all bad guys (and gals). Generally speaking, it seems I'm a fan of the lesser-known characters, perhaps because they tend to have more interesting designs and more unique characteristics? Once I get MOTUC Huntara (again, semi-obscure?), she's on the shortlist next to Faker and Shokoti, as such.