Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyguru MOTUC Post-SDCC: Figure Production Numbers Going Down in 2012

Toyguru MOTUC Post-SDCC: Figure Production Numbers Going Down in 2012

This is from Matty's Facebook:

He-Fans and She-Ravers,

With the 2012 Club Eternia sale in full swing and our SDCC reveals past us, I wanted to take a quick minute to clear up some questions and comments from the boards.

1: First off, yes, we are no longer going to be doing a second run of figures. This will start with Queen Marlena and move into Man-E-Faces and the other fall figures. We still have some older figures already slotted for line time and a second run that will be offered monthly(ish) in 2012. But starting with the July/August figures there will no longer be second runs of newer figures (at least for now, anything could potentially change down the road). So if you want Marlena, now is the time to buy!

Additionally, in 2012 we will be reducing our production of all figures above and beyond the subs. We will still have product on sale day for those who do not have a sub, but in general there will be a bit less. Your first, best and most reliable way of getting the figures you want is to sign up for the sub (and the only way to get Shadow Weaver--our first Filmation character!). This will be the case for all subscriptions, not just MOTUC.

2: Our Mattypalooza fan panel is available on YouTube (just search Mattypalooza 2011) thanks to a few great fan sites. We will have the slides posted in a week or so, but you can watch the whole panel and the Q & A anytime online.

3: All of the figures revealed at SDCC are final sculpts. By the time you are seeing them, we are past the point of making any actual sculpt changes!

4: Keep those Create A Character contest entries coming! A ton have been coming in from all ages (the crayon entries from children are especially heartwarming!) But wow! Some of you sent in some great photos of custom figures while others have amazing concepts for toys regardless of the artistic level (which is all that really counts in this contest -- artistic skill is not a factor!).

All of the brand managers will do their best to check on the boards this week. Hopefully this will answer most of the questions out there and I just can't wait for how great 2012 will be!

--Matty
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

Toyguru MOTUC Post-SDCC "Q&A"

Toyguru speaks!

He-Fans and She-Ravers,

With the 2012 Club Eternia sale in full swing and our SDCC reveals past us, I wanted to take a quick minute to clear up some questions and comments from the boards.

1: First off, yes, we are no longer going to be doing a second run of figures. This will start with Queen Marlena and move into Man-E-Faces and the other fall figures. We still have some older figures already slotted for line time and a second run that will be offered monthly(ish) in 2012. But starting with the July/August figures there will no longer be second runs of newer figures (at least for now, anything could potentially change down the road). So if you want Marlena, now is the time to buy!

Additionally, in 2012 we will be reducing our production of all figures above and beyond the subs. We will still have product on sale day for those who do not have a sub, but in general there will be a bit less. Your first, best and most reliable way of getting the figures you want is to sign up for the sub (and the only way to get Shadow Weaver--our first Filmation character!). This will be the case for all subscriptions, not just MOTUC.

2: Our Mattypalooza fan panel is available on YouTube (just search Mattypalooza 2011) thanks to a few great fan sites. We will have the slides posted in a week or so, but you can watch the whole panel and the Q & A anytime online.

3: All of the figures revealed at SDCC are final sculpts. By the time you are seeing them, we are past the point of making any actual sculpt changes!

4: Keep those Create A Character contest entries coming! A ton have been coming in from all ages (the crayon entries from children are especially heartwarming!) But wow! Some of you sent in some great photos of custom figures while others have amazing concepts for toys regardless of the artistic level (which is all that really counts in this contest -- artistic skill is not a factor!).

All of the brand managers will do their best to check on the boards this week. Hopefully this will answer most of the questions out there and I just can't wait for how great 2012 will be!

--Matty
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; August 3, 2011 at 01:43pm.

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

Matty can hold a gun to my head. Still not buying the sub.

And if I can't buy on sale day, I keep my money.

No second runs? Stupid. If I miss what I want, I buy on the re-seller's market (or not at all).

Bad business.
    Last edited by Eternian Poet; August 3, 2011 at 01:41pm.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

well, i'm not buying a sub and have trouble getting through the WSOD, so this line could get problematic for me down the road.
    LOOKING for these MOTU Full Cardbacks:
    -Skeletor w/"original" promo on front
    -Man E Faces w/ "extra weapons" promo on front
    -Trap Jaw w/o Ring Promo on front & newer figures pictured on back
    -Tri Klops w/o Ring Promo on front & newer figures pictured on back
    & Mantisaur Empty Box (USA) Version

little mean of them. Odd to see them start this now but I guess they really want the sub thing to be the way to go. Shame. I hope they make enough of the non sub stuff. Would hate to see fans just quit outright due to the need for day one sell outs.
    Find what you seek only when you look in the right places...

Buy the sub or Matty kills Fido.

My thoughts regarding #1...it seems like Mattel wants to go back to the old days of hype crazed 10 minute sellouts, if they are reducing production and getting rid of re-issues. It's almost like they want to scare fans into buying subs...

I hope those non-sub items aren't hell to get like the Wind Raider or Dreago-Man.

The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

Oh, we both posted threads for this LITERALLY at the same time, MGM!

EDIT: @ your picture!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

All this coversation and still no word from Mattel about the value mess on the 2012 sub!
    My Feedback

God save the Queen Zhal!

All over California and coming to your neighborhood soon, so be afraid!
    man his really pushing this sub thing hard this year

Vengeance Demon The Riding Ghost's Avatar
    Wheres the "killing teh lein" battle cry?
    Seriously, what a long winded "Buy a sub or F U" speech.
    I only want a few upcoming figures since I pick and choose based on budgets, otherwise I'd (like most others on here) have already bought a sub. Now not only am I told I have to get them while they're available for the first time, there are less available to begin with? Way to celebrate 30 years, Matty.

2012 MOTUC Lowered Production for Sale Days

Matty just posted this on facebook. Will this make any of you rethink not getting a sub? It almost has me swayed as I worry about being able to get guys like Fisto, but I just don't want months where I'm forced to buy characters like Star Sisters, or Tug of War Guy from mini comic, etc...[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    It's almost like they want to scare fans into buying subs...
    They've been trying to scare people into it from the beginning, they're just comfortable enough to do it in incredibly shameless ways now.

Wow.

MGM,can you post this in the matty forum as well,I can not get to facebook.

Thanks.

P.S. make it a really good title.

COMEDIAN on the matty forum.

Heroic Warrior
    Wondering how the "non sub" production number impacts the 30th Anniversary figures... Mattel should produce these in numbers equal to full production numbers for regular figures. I signed up for a sub, but these 30th Anniversary figures have me "worried"... Sight-unseen I really want these figures. Drago-man looks awesome, and I'm curious to see the two new Mattel and the new Geoff Johns figures.

Heroic Collector of MOTUC the.overlord's Avatar
    DESPONDOS (watching the game - having a Bud...with HORDAK)
    Yeah....looks like they are not happy that figures are lasting more than 10 minutes on their site. Too bad.....I see the end of the line getting closer. If the line got bigger and better, the above points would have been never mentioned!
    Classics Collector!!

Successful transactions/trades with: MossMan710179, cobaltkatdrone, reefkeeper, Zildjian, keithfuchs, Raypor, Zovex, JOXE, Son of Keldor, Hogan, BadSchoolGirl69, Degra, Uki, Blue Monkey, dedset13, Vaal (THX EVERYONE!!)

My trader review:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=169339

Ok. Anyone care to try to argue the point that they are not strong-arming people into buying the subs NOW?

EDIT: and can we call the thread what it actually is?

"Buy a sub or else"
    Last edited by Prince Adam's Dad; August 3, 2011 at 02:05pm.
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

I did buy a sub for 2012 (shadow weaver fan here!), but in the past I have relied on 2nd & 3rd re-issued figures to flesh out the line. Previously I was cherry picking the line but about a year or so ago I decided to just collect them all... I've caught up fairly well but I'm still missing about 10-12 figures I was hoping would be re-issued... Reading this disheartens me because now I feel that I'm going to have to go on ebay or elsewhere and pay ridiculous prices to fill in the gaps I have in my collection... (I would rather support Mattel) One appealing thing for this line (for me at least) has always been the fact that the reissues were there to help me catch up on whatever I've missed in the past... now that this is gone I'm kind of rethinking my future commitments to the line.

Edit: Thinking about this even more now, Mattel is alienating anyone who wants to jump onto the line in the future by not doing re-issues anymore. Sad.
    Last edited by bobo_arachnid; August 3, 2011 at 02:07pm.

Quote Originally Posted by mjharwood View Post
    Wondering how the "non sub" production number impacts the 30th Anniversary figures... Mattel should produce these in numbers equal to full production numbers for regular figures. I signed up for a sub, but these 30th Anniversary figures have me "worried"... Sight-unseen I really want these figures. Drago-man looks awesome, and I'm curious to see the two new Mattel and the new Geoff Johns figures.
    Curious about this myself.

I'm scared.

I look for the 30th Ann figures being kinda like the early days of the line. Low runs to test the water or whatever they want to say and again just to make sure of a high first day sell out and nobody needs to take orders past the first 3 hours for the most part. I give the line till mid to late 2013 if they keep tightening the noose on everyone
    Find what you seek only when you look in the right places...

wow That sucks. They really are trying to "kill teh lein". Reducing production above and beyond the subs, what the hell

Heroic Warrior
    disappointing. i thought we were past the days of the 30-second sell-outs.

Disenchanted Toy Hunter 80's Enthusiast's Avatar
    Just so everyone is clear.... .This is ********.

I am in the bag for Matty and understand why Scott has to "Lie" to us and all that but I am continually dumbfounded by these decisions.

How can it make good business sense to create less items than the clear demand? You are in essence making a calculated decision to make LESS money.

Money is tight for me right now (the Wifey is in Nursing School) so i can't dedicate funds to a sub at the moment. Now it seems I'll likely miss out on most if not all figs?

We've just now reached a point where sellouts are at a reasonable timeframe. Matty should always have *SOME* stock available on the site to allow a casual fan or someone that stumbles upon MC.com to actually purchase a figure.

Scott - I'm sorry, I love your fire and heart. I appreciate all the work you've done for the MOTU/POP fans around the world, but this?

This is IDIOCY.

I'm sorry, but **** that! If they want to force me to buy things I don't want, then I just won't buy anything at all..........I love MOTU, DC and Ghostbusters. But They have taken the wind out of my collecting sales........

Quote Originally Posted by horseman1981 View Post
    Wow.

MGM,can you post this in the matty forum as well,I can not get to facebook.

Thanks.

P.S. make it a really good title.

COMEDIAN on the matty forum.
    Done, Comedian!

The Blonde Teela Thread

master of hiphop
    Thanks for the info bro

i got a sub... just glad i did now

but the figures and items that are not available as sub items will they be lowered in production as well??? that may cause a big up roar on matty day
    Download!! 25% goes to help the ORG!!!!!
    http://theimpressionistz.bandcamp.co...ame-back-clean
    AGE FEEDBACK: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=128035
    album photos lots more to come: check out my profile
    my want list: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=148549
    Collection PICS:http://www.crazycollectors.de/age.html