Thread: Why is it every time I get figures I have to do minor fixes.

Why is it every time I get figures I have to do minor fixes.

Ok this is not just about quality control, it's about slight things that bother me, but every time I get matty figures I found myself taking about an hour fixing each one after I open it, or calling Matty for a replacement.

Take last night, I get 3 subs. I open one of each, starting with Snout Spout. He looked good in the package. but when I turn his waist I notice there were blue spots and patches on the black belt.

I pull out my black paint, a q-tip, cut the q-tip at an angle. Ans repainted his belt, one the side and around his buckle.

Next I noticed the left side of his Jaws of life was loose, so I took a screw driver opened it up and added, q-tip cotton on both sides of the hinge part of the left jaw.

So then it was on to Swift Wind (A.K.A. Quick Fart). I notices blue paint around the neck, so I had to scratch it off. Then when I went to plug in the right wing, the socket broke, so now the wing wont stay in. At closer extermination, I could see the inside of the socket was made wrong.

Don't get wrong I love the figures, but I just know that every month I have to spend an hour or so with each figure to either fix it up or make it the way I want.

So how about you guys, do you have to fix-up each figure when you get them?

It seems that has been the trend lately... To me it started with reissue Skeletor (My order went MIA so I had to call DR for a replacement.) I had to repaint him cause some purple was missing on him.
    -BA Skeletor had a huge splotch of black missing on his armor. Also I had to sand off the inside of his "belt" cause it sticks to him for some reason.
    -One of my Santa KGs had a silver splotch in his arm (Luckily I had bought one to make a 200X He-Man, so Splotchy became my 200X he-man)
    -HH was flaking off badly, so I killed the vac metal and repainted him...
    - Buzz-off had some splotchy areas on his head and arms. Capt. Paintbrush had to strike back.
    -Marlena had a little something that I had to scratch off from her crown.
    -One of Optikk's eyes (Green) had to be repainted.
    -Bow needed to have his rope repainted.

-All the Skeletor Heads: Slight yellow drybrush to kill off a bit of the excessive Green color on them... (In BASkeletor's case to eliminate the Vintage Toy paintjob and make him similar to the other Skeletors)

These have been the ones have repainted for some issue or other... not specifically to make a custom... (Like Whiplash, which had a perfect paintjob if I was into vintage Whiplash) or my MAA who was repainted with a filmationlike stache.
    While Santa KG and HH ended up being made into customized figures, the paint issue (or vac Metal in HH's case would've driven me to repaint even if I wasn't interested into making customs with them.)
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

I call customer service to have them replaced. I wish i could customize or knew how to repaint things, because that would be less of a hassle than dealing with Digital River.

For $30 (with shipping), these figures should be PERFECT. If they are going to raise the prices later this year, they had better hire some more quality assurance people.

All I can say is that if Toyguru did his job when it came to quality control. We wouldn't have to do these things!
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

The only figures I had any major qc issues besides weak ankles were grizzlor (his leg was warped and heating and cooling wasn't fixing it) and carnivous (sloppy paint).

Yes - I have to do fixes more often than not. Sometimes I just get a replacement, sometimes I do it myself. Its on almost every figure.

I still regret that I didn't get a replacement for my Hordak, Adora and Man-At-Arms. Each of them have a large chip chip on their head. Adora's lip, Hordaks head crest and MAA's helmet. Not to mention my Zodac has an extra white paint drop across his armor.

I went through 3 Catra figures before I got one with out smeared lipstick AND silver streaks on her cape. Wundar had a HUGE drop of glue on his left cheek that I couldn't get off with heat and a blade.

This line has very poor QC. Just look at the email notices they send out...
    I just published my very first ebook: Malediction! A short story of monsters and magic!
    Buy it now on Amazon or Barnes and Noble!

Print version, also available!

i just got the zodac 2 pack at toys r us yesterday and zodac had the worst bobble head ever.. seriously.

actually the first of my 11 figures that I've had an issue with.

I used to have to fix loose ankles right out of the box every month, but they've been much better this year.

My only problems this year:
    Icarius' wing was floppy, and needed to be tightened up with a rubber band. Then one of the fins snapped right off, needed to be glued.
    The paint on Catra's hair rubbed right off when I tried to put the silver mask on her.

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar

Tired of waiting for Hollywood.

Getting RamMan to hold two drum sticks was fun.

He may be the only one that stands without help.

Heroic ursine warrior sailoruranus's Avatar
    I think I have the official worst luck when it comes to MOTUC figures. This past year I had FOUR broken Robotos (arms twisted off, melted foot, etc), a grizzlor with a gimp knee, a King Grayskull with a broken ankle (for which I was sent a buzz-off, which required a whole other fight with DR), a Vikor with literally only half of his shield painted, a Catra with an ankle that kept popping out of socket, a Man-E-Faces that wouldn't even stand up his joints were so loose, and my Leech net ripped on the first day. Also, my Swift wind arrived with a rather jacked up tail. This is in addition to two ghostbuster figures that had to be replaced this year.

Some things I just accept, like Leech's net, and Swift Wind's messed up tail, but most of these things are beyond a simple fix. I have to go through the rounds with DR every 2-3 months, and I hate it. It's sad, but i've come to accept the paint splotches and weak ankles, as long as my figures are in one piece. And when my Snout Spout's nose falls off his body, I'll just glue the damn thing back on. Ugh.

I agree. Almost every figure in the MOTUC line I've had has some sort of minor (or major) flaw. As lannyjack said, for $30 these figures should be absolutely perfect. This is why I'm not foaming at the mouth for more vehicles or playsets from this line. If you can't make a stationary action figure that isn't falling apart, I'd be scared to drop $300 on a Castle Grayskull that dissolves into dust when you pull it out of the box.

But at the end of the day, I look back at my vintage MOTU collection and sigh. They just don't make them like that anymore.
    1 of 200 active He-Man.org members.

The old loose ankle joint problem hasn't been an issue in quite some time for me. Other than that, I've made these fixes:

-replaced SDCC KG's boots with the reissue's
    -replaced The Goddess' shattered crotch with a spare from Teela
    -stuck a hairband into BC's neck joint to tighten it

I do still need to replace Catra's head; she has smudged lipstick...
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

I think Faker (first version) has a rubber band on his ankle to keep it tight, as well as a few others (Prince Adam, I think...not sure who else). The Green Goddess never broke, but all the stories about her breakage made me take a look and I noticed her crotch was cracking, so I put a little super glue in there and that fixed it right up. Beyond that, I've been fine. I take 'em out and mess with them often, and none of the figures have had any problems - and certainly none that required fixing like you mentioned. Sorry to hear it, man.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Ive had to put rubber bands on the ankles of Adam, Mo-Larr and a few others. My SDCC KG has his ankles painted shut so I cant move them... still need to figure out how Im gonna fix that
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Heroic Journalist MldMnrdReporter's Avatar
    Quite a few of my figures have gone under the knife as well. Reissue He-Man's hair line was way too high and I had to glue it down. Teela's bobble head and multiple loose joints and bad paint apps.

I love the line though. I guess I'm a sucker for punishment.
    Gwildor: Moo? Moo.
    He-Man: Gwildor!
    Gwildor: I'm going, I'm going...Moo!

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    Itīs the same here! Every month i canīt wait for the figures but also iīm anxious what could be wrong with my figures once again
    With Leech and Icarius was the first time after a long time, that everything was fine.

My Icarius legs are so loose he has a hard time standing with the weight of the jetpack.
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

I don't think it's exclusive to MOTUC figures. I can rarely find a Hasbro Marvel Universe figure with a decent paintjob, and lately I've seen countless Star Wars clone and storm troopers with yellow heads right in the package.

Even three of my four $200+ Hot Toys figures were messed up. Broken ankle joint on Joker, super-glue on Spider-Man's costume, and missing coin from Two-Face.

Toys are more complex today, with more parts and paint apps than ever before. Bottom line is, the more steps a toy must go through during production, the more likely a mistake will happen somewhere along the way.
    SKELETORTILLA...Evil Painter of MOTU
    My DeviantArt page http://dwaynepinkney.deviantart.com/
    Available for commissions

odd my $6 glyos figs are always tip tip but my $30+ MOTUC figs always have something wrong...guess it just shows some companies care and others.....

the King needs his Queen and pet! Queen Veena and Battle Lion for MOTUC!

For the Love of Illumina & her Cat Sleetah!!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/156251727799742/
    my Feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205099
    my sale page http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205041

Sorry about all the fixes. I'm glad I haven't have any quality control issues besides the backwards shoulders ect act.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    with shift wing i will need to fix the wing peg hole cuz it was broken.
    repainted the ebony eternian guard head so it would look better on snout spout.
    most figure i to need to add or touch something up.

I've performed quite a few fixes, some more involved than other. I tore off and re-glued V1 She-Ra's crooked tiara. There have been several hot water "resets" of bent weapons. I've rubber-banded a few loose joints, but I keep meaning to hit them with some Future Finish.

By far, most of the fixes have been paint related. Only a few were really sloppy. Many were pretty minor things that only stood out because of the clean and bold colors and style of the figures. Most were probably a result of my own personal OCD and the fact that I've got a handful of paints. Lately, I've been much more forgiving. Snout Spout's belt is going to need some work, though.

The worst was He-Man himself(reissue) who had some seriously messed up eyes that had to be redone entirely. I was never quite happy with the results(each eye's got at least 5 colors, including the tough to match fleshtone), so I eventually bought a 2nd TRU MOTUC/DC set during a sale and swapped the hair. That worked out in the end since I made a custom from the leftover He-Man and even used the cape from the extra Superman.

So yeah, I can relate. I also really recommend having a bottle of Future Finish. It's $5 and you'll never run out of it.

Got a reissue He-Man suffering from a receding hairline as well as a Clawful missing his back clip-on attachment shell; Always having to touch up these figures, but in reality, this problem seems like the one a retail line would suffer from not a high-end online only elite collector one.
    Good Journey!

The first He-Man had his shoulders on backward & it's gone on like that from since then.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!