Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What "use" is He-Man's ax; and does it have any special properties? Discuss...

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar

What "use" is He-Man's ax; and does it have any special properties? Discuss...

I've always wondered this and debated it with other MOTU fans as a kid - what purpose is He-Man's battle ax?
    I mean, he has he sword to fight / defend himself / hack at things, etc. His shield has obvious purpose of defending himself from on-coming attack. Is his battle ax a "spare wheel"?

My best friend at the time always insisted He-Man didn't need his ax, but I kinda always liked it - especially as I'm an early mythos fan, if nothing else it kinda made him feel more barbarian in my view.
    As time has passed, the sword and shield have kinda become He-Man's main two weapons (obviously the sword being the primary one), and carrying three weapons at once seems slightly clunky, but I kinda champion the idea that He-Man's ax is made a some kinda rare, heavy duty "battle iron material"(!) and that he is a champion ax wielder. As a kid I always had the battle ax as He-Man's main weapon of choice and that it had more brute force to it that the sword - he'd only break out the Power Sword - which he prefered to protect that use upfront in battle - when needed.

Thoughts? Or does He-Man really not need his ax?

(BTW: I'm using "ax" as it was spelled on most of the original promo material, not the more standard English "axe" spelling)
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

In the original mini-comics I believe he used the axe more til he got the power sword. I don't thin he ever used his axe in the Filmation or 200x series.

In the MOTUC canon, TG has referred to it as King Grayskull's axe that He-Man now uses. On my Preternia shelf, He-Ro has the power sword while KG has the axe and shield.
    Gaping holes in my collection: Regular old Teela, Weapons pack 1, Power & Honour book 1, SDCC artbook (maybe)

scaly 2014 Subscriber! Dragonblaster's Avatar
    Well it's a difference between fighting with a sword and fighting with an axe.
    An axe is slower and heavier, but causes more damage, while the sword is faster to handle.
    Furthermore there are things you couldn't cut with a sword (although He-Man is able to cut rocks with it...)
    And it's good to have a choice depending what kind of enemy you are confronted with
    Last edited by Dragonblaster; November 16, 2011 at 07:14am.
    Press down on dragon's head. It will bite off your frickin' fingers !!!

HD figures on youtube
    As a kid, I always liked the axe better then the sword. Gave him a more barbaric look, which I loved. Matter of fact. I have my MOTUC He-Man displayed with his axe.

So, for me, the "use" for his axe, is being all badass.

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    For me the ax is his main weapon and it looks more bad ass, when he is holding it , riding on Battle Cat.

An axe is always handy when you are camping - which I imagine He-Man and Battlecat do pretty regularly.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    I to find the axe to be pointless. However, in my continuity, the Sword of He turns into an axe for Oo-Larr, as that is his weapon of choice. Of course, also in my storyline, Oo-Larr is killed by Keldor who takes the Sword of He and forges it into half of his blades, not knowing of its special powers.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

it adds +4 to his logging skill.

Since BA He-Man came solely with the armor and axe, it's fun for me to think that the Battle Axe + the Battle Armor = The Sword of Power.

For example, if the Battle Armor is needed, the sword morphs into the axe, sort of giving up part of itself to form the armor.
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

When I was a kid in the UK, there was a "He-Man Fan Club".

One of the things you got upon joining was something called The Oath of the Axe.

Since then I assumed that the axe had symbolic meaning on Eternia. The fact that the axe is the weapon of choice for so many Eternian heroes (i.e. Vikor, King Greyskull, mini-comics He-Man aka Oo-Lar) implies that weilding an axe is a matter of showing your status as a champion - through martial skill with this heavy & difficult weapon, as well as being custodian of something people swear the most important martial oaths upon.

To me, He-Man's weapons - axe, sword, shield - always had the ability to appear or disappear in a flash of magic (much like the man himself!) depending on what he needed at the time. This explains why he's rarely seen lugging all of them around on his back/belt.

-The sword can be used offensive & defensively.
    -The shield is used for desperate defensive measures when the sword isn't enough.
    -The axe is used for desperate offensive measures when the sword isn't enough.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

The, the way I see it is that the original toys (He-Man and Skeletor) came with the power swords as mystical items, not as primary weapons. He-Man and Skeletor fought with axe and staff, and the swords came with them because they were the two that were looking for the swords. So He-Man wasn't really carrying the sword around, originally, and neither was Skeletor carrying his half. They were supposed to be sought after in a never-ending battle for power.

Well, they changed that with the cartoon, and the power sword was He-Man's sword alone...so it kinda made the axe obsolete. I guess that's the plain answer, outside of the mythos. As for my own personal ideas: I have it that - yes - the axe IS made of a special metal, since it was stated by the Green Goddess that it was no ordinary axe. I mean, the harness and axe were supposed to be leftovers from the ancient technological civilization! That's gotta be SOME axe! So I stick to that, which is why I don't like giving the same axe to others...another reason why I ended up putting an orb on the end of Skeletor's axe. Still, there's the blue axe as well....so I kinda made up reasons for MAA to at least make a mold of He-Man's axe since it's a nice design (they just don't have the materials to recreate the exact axe; no one knows what metal it's made from).

So that's my take on it!
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by hlinhk128 View Post
    In the original mini-comics I believe he used the axe more til he got the power sword. I don't thin he ever used his axe in the Filmation or 200x series.

In the MOTUC canon, TG has referred to it as King Grayskull's axe that He-Man now uses. On my Preternia shelf, He-Ro has the power sword while KG has the axe and shield.
    I'm pretty sure he used it once in the 200X series.

My take on the ax is the same as bcrdukes, I display it with my BA He-Man, and consider the armor and ax a transformed power sword...
    Good Journey

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    The axe and shield are purely Pre-Filmation weapons, when He-Man had to look for his half of the Power Sword. In the Texiera "The Menace of Trap Jaw" mini-comic, it's shown that He-Man does carry his half of the Power Sword, but only uses it when there is need, while Skeletor used it as his primary weapon throughout those books. When Filmation popularized the Power Sword as He-Man's main and only weapon, the axe and sometimes, the shield were dropped from media.

Quote Originally Posted by cbomb23 View Post
    I'm pretty sure he used it once in the 200X series.

The shield made a rare appearance, but not the axe. He-Man's shield also was in the Filmation episode "The She-Demon of Phantos".

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacedust View Post
    What "use" is He-Man's ax?
    It makes a good razor. Plus it's apparently supposed to attract the ladies if used as a body spray...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...e-manarmed.jpg

The shield made a rare appearance, but not the axe. He-Man's shield also was in the Filmation episode "The She-Demon of Phantos".
    Man I could have swore he threw it at some point in the series? Oh well won't be the last time I'm wrong

In the old days, the axe was He-Man's main weapon, as the Staff was Skeletor's main weapon. Both were looking for the two halves of the sword, the key to Castle Grayskull draw bridge and power
    :: Odrakir ::

My Feedback Thread

Serious bidness Ibentmyman-thing's Avatar
    He kills people with it. Usually with a downward thrust through the center of the noggin, but occasionally in a right to left sweeping maneuver, thereby cleaving a head from a neck, wherein a geyser of blood erupts like in a Shaw Bros. Movie. Then He-man throws back his head and brays laughter, while he says "I have axed you for the last time!"

And then Battle Cat covers his face with his paw.

I need to ax you a question? Why is this thread such a pain in the axe?

.... Somebody had to do it.....
    Strange women dressed in bird outfits guarding castles distributing swords and harnesses in no basis for a system of heroism.

I follow prefilmation ideas, so my He-Man is posed with his axe and shield only. Very rarely do I give him the power sword.

I believe he did use his axe in MYP (The ice-axe in "Trust")

-World's #1 Goat Man Fan- NastyNate's Avatar
    In the past He Man's main weapon before the Power Sword was his OLE BATTLE AX. However, in the future when he is King, Teela is his OLE BATTLE AX instead.

ZING!!
    Last edited by NastyNate; November 16, 2011 at 01:19pm.
    Goat Man is the MOTUC 2014 Traveling Con Exclusive! Im officially the happiest boy in the whole world.

When I was a kid, I imagined the ax as being his "offensive" weapon. He-Man would come up on a clan of Skeletor's henchmen and launch the ax in their direction to disperse the group so he could tangle with them one-on-one with his sword and shield.

Or if an enemy was trying to fly away on a Battle Ram or Wind Raider, He-Man would throw the ax at the vehicle to disable it. I always pictured the ax as doing the "dirty" work that He-Man didn't want to risk using the sword on.

Anyway, I always thought the ax was way cooler than the Sword anyway. My He-Man was always posed with the ax and shield in his hand with the sword strapped to his back.
    1 of 200 active He-Man.org members.

film noir warrior maltesefalcon's Avatar
    as a few of the posters above i always thought it was a function of the power sword that it changes form depending on the users needs, if we go by motuc canon she-ra's sword is a clone of the power sword so all the things it can do are inherent to the sword itself

therefore my vision of the battle armour is that it is the sword itself ("sword to battle armour" if you will) therefore he-man needs a new weapon so the sorceress provides him with the photanium axe of king grayskull to slice dice and make julienne fries!
    when your world turns upside down, laugh at the people standing on their heads!

I agree that the Powersword became the primary weapon cuz of the cartoons. The ax is supposed to be he-Man's primary weapon and the sword is supposed to be a magical tool for unlocking castle grayskull.

Heroic Photog Supporter musclor's Avatar
    For me, the axe has always been he-man's primary weapon. Of course, I go by th original barbarian canon, so Adam isn't he-man, so no need for the power sword...

I have never even put the sword into motuc he-man's hand. Haha.
    Photog is here! thank you, Mattel!

Now how about some mini-comics love (like Lodar, Geldor, Dakon......)? And Mermista?