Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Plea to Mattel - Please Fix Swift Wind/Spirit!

A Plea to Mattel - Please Fix Swift Wind/Spirit!

Dear Mattel,

I have read and understood that you're not planning on making any changes to the sculpts of the figures and vehicles shown at SDCC:

3: All of the figures revealed at SDCC are final sculpts. By the time you are seeing them, we are past the point of making any actual sculpt changes!
    ...however, I would really like you to reconsider in the case of Swift Wind. You have gone to great lengths to make all of the figures in this MOTUC line include some kind of extra feature, and the fans have appreciated it. Whether it's an extra head sculpt for Bow, or even making all of Battle Cat's armor removable like the vintage figure, it's shown that you're willing to give your customers something extra for their money, considering the higher price point on these figures.

Beautiful as Swift Wind is, many people have noticed that his "collar" piece does not come off. If your goal was to make a Swift Wind figure and then later sell a Spirit figure with a different sculpt, one can't help but wonder why the mask, wings and saddle were made to come off the figure. The collar is the only piece left that keeps this horse from looking...well, like a normal horse. Yes, removing the wings will leave two holes on either side of the figure, but I think we're willing to overlook that. Making this collar removable is the last touch the toy needs to be as "transformable" as his vintage counterpart. Plus, if you plan on releasing other horses down the line, chances are you'll be needing a collar-free sculpt anyway. Why not make the change now, and include a slip-on collar for Swift Wind?

There has also been a LOT of talk about Swifty's "wind-blown" hair. I like the idea more than the execution. Something a little tamer perhaps would have yielded better results. Though it's clear you don't give the 4Horsemen critiques on their work, surely you must agree that it's hard to imagine this horse perched on someone's shelf looking like there's an invisible fan blowing air directly at his face and nowhere else. Plus, I doubt you'd want future horses (especially Arrow, who doesn't fly) looking like this. Why not take the time to tweak the hair now?

Lastly, as you well know, Filmation Spirit comes with a "crown" of sorts that fits around his ears and forehead. You've already made this horse's mask removable - why not include the Spirit crown? Fans are ready and willing to buy a "Royal Swiftwind" in the style of the vintage figure, so you don't have to try and save Spirit for later just to get more use out of the mold. As it is, you can later make Arrow, Royal Swiftwind and possibly even Frosta's horse, should you so wish.

Why not make Swift Wind perfect? Without knowing the time and cost it would take to make these changes, I can tell you that as someone who hasn't yet purchased a MOTUC figure, fixing him in this way would convince me to invest in this line. After seeing that you had the Filmation rights, I was really looking forward to making Swifty my first purchase. For 30 dollars plus shipping though, I'd like this figure to have that same kind of attention to detail that makes so many other fans so loyal and enthused about this line. As it stands, Swifty really doesn't come with any real bonuses. Being able to half-change him into Spirit isn't a special feature and just makes him seem half-finished, especially since you're likely going to end up changing or tweaking the sculpt in the future.

Do so now instead. Fans like myself will certainly support your efforts to make this guy all he can be!

Sincere thanks,
    DisneBoy

If you agree with this plea, please add your voice to mine!

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    There has also been a LOT of talk about Swifty's "wind-blown" hair... I doubt you'd want future horses (especially Arrow, who doesn't fly) looking like this.
    Yeah. Arrow's mane should stand up much straighter

I thought Arrow was blue and had wings.

Having seen the sculpt at SDCC, I can tell you that the mane appears to be a separate piece. In other words, each horsey is likely to have it's on 'do.
    Aaron
    PoP Variants are part of the vintage line, too! Starburst She-Ra, Shower Power Catra, and Scratchin' Sound Catra for 2015!!!

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bamf1980 View Post
    Having seen the sculpt at SDCC, I can tell you that the mane appears to be a separate piece. In other words, each horsey is likely to have it's on 'do.
    Yup! and based on Panthors Head sculpt, and all of Megators new parts, I dont foresee the horses all being identical!

Though I DO want them to all have wings like the Vintage versions, I would Love 'Storm' to have bat like wings, similar to the Thestrals in Harry potter!
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

I see no reason why they couldn't switch out some parts to make a better Spirit, Arrow, or the others.

And for the record, fans want something extra included with each horse! Give us a twigget or something!
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

While more is always better, Swifty looked beyond perfect at SDCC

Heroic Warrior
    And yet this has already been answered, as all sculpts seen at SDCC are final.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzadkiel View Post
    I thought Arrow was blue and had wings.
    Arrow is Blue. Seeing as Mattel uses the sub-headers for all the characters in this line, going with Filmation Arrow wouldn't make sense...because his mentions his colour.

Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Arrow is Blue. Seeing as Mattel uses the sub-headers for all the characters in this line, going with Filmation Arrow wouldn't make sense...because his mentions his colour.

http://www.collectorsquest.com/blog/...blue-horse.jpg
    I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them ignore the play on words, keep the tagline, and put out Filmation Arrow.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Oh, I forgot to mention, I support this.

It would be nice if Mattel could at least do the following:

- make collar removable (ex. DON'T glue it on. )
    - include Spirit's crown
    - shoulder hole covers please
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by j-bird View Post
    I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them ignore the play on words, keep the tagline, and put out Filmation Arrow.
    Quite. EVERY SINGLE figure of She-Ra & co, including Swiftwind, has been based primarily or wholly on the cartoon. What makes you think that Arrow - whose Filmation version was considerably more distinct with his reins, French-braided mane and long stirrups - will be an exception? "True blue" doesn't actually refer to colour (although the pun in this case was obviously intended as a double-meaning), after all.

And yet this has already been answered, as all sculpts seen at SDCC are final.
    I understand that, as I said. But the figure just isn't complete as he is, and I'd really like Mattel to see how much we'd like that to be changed.
    Last edited by DisneyBoy; August 4, 2011 at 06:17pm.

I'm in the boat that I only want Arrow IF he is blue. I never like the cartoon look... In the series there was an entire island of pegasi(?) I have no reason to believe that Bow couldn't ride a blue one.
    Windblown Advocate since 200x

In the past I've looked thru pictures of all the POP toys and I never noticed that Arrow was blue, or that the blue pegasus was arrow. I kinda like both versions in there own way. I like the idea of Bow having a houres over a pagasus but then he'd fall behind so...

As for Swifty I loved the proto at SDCC but I see the problem with turning him into Spirit. Maybe Mattel plans on makeing a seperate Spirit that's smaller or something. But most likely they just want us to buy 2 different figures to get both Swity and Spirit.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

Not only is the Swift Wind sculpt final, but he's already been boxed. He's 3 months away. I would like to see some tweaks, but it's too late.

IMO, Arrow should be brown.

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Dear OP,

Epic waste of typing time, effort and a well-thought-out post.

They're in production means they're NOT going to change anything. Please tell me you comprehend this...
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

I'm happy for all of Swifty's parts to be glued on if it means we are getting a separate "Spirit" figure...
    If TG wants to put a stop to these sorts of questions/requests, he needs to address the question of whether Spirit is coming. (Even if it's another 12/18months away. Just give us something...)

Quote Originally Posted by illicitjedi View Post
    I'm in the boat that I only want Arrow IF he is blue. I never like the cartoon look... In the series there was an entire island of pegasi(?) I have no reason to believe that Bow couldn't ride a blue one.
    Exactly.......The fear of Filmation totally taking over the line is one of the main reasons Im so negative towards it lately. I dont want a 'Brown' horse. The whole idea of Etherian riders on pegasus's is superb! and taking that away is just further dumbing down of the property!

[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Oz-Scott View Post
    I'm happy for all of Swifty's parts to be glued on if it means we are getting a separate "Spirit" figure...
    If TG wants to put a stop to these sorts of questions/requests, he needs to address the question of whether Spirit is coming. (Even if it's another 12/18months away. Just give us something...)
    Really, is this standard practice? To reveal an upcoming figure a year and a half prior to release??

Part of the whole fun in getting a club membership, for me anyway, is not knowing what figures I'll be getting. A sort of "surprise bag" if you will.

Wow, nothing like telling someone that what you are saying or doing is FINAL and then one of the people being told still ask for a change. It reminds me of when I substitute taught for kids and a kid couldn't understand "no talking" during a test meant no talking.

Quote Originally Posted by Staff Of Ka View Post
    Exactly.......The fear of Filmation totally taking over the line is one of the main reasons Im so negative towards it lately. I dont want a 'Brown' horse. The whole idea of Etherian riders on pegasus's is superb! and taking that away is just further dumbing down of the property!
    So why does Adora have a horse rather than a pegasus to start with?

Same problem I have with the legion of cat-steeds - it makes Cringer & Spirit disabled in their normal forms and merely average as Battlecat & Swiftwind, rather than special like He-Man & She-Ra when backed by the Power of Grayskull.

Quote Originally Posted by Under_Miner View Post
    Really, is this standard practice? To reveal an upcoming figure a year and a half prior to release??

Part of the whole fun in getting a club membership, for me anyway, is not knowing what figures I'll be getting. A sort of "surprise bag" if you will.
    And there's nothing wrong that

It wouldn't be the first time we've gotten confirmation about a figure in advance. Somehow i personally don't think that it'd really ruin it, when there's a whole year's worth of figures left in the basket for 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    So why does Adora have a horse rather than a pegasus to start with?
    Cos filmation were *****!IMO

I gave my opinion, and I am one of those annoying people who thinks that the whole 'Adam/Heman,Battle cat/whiny annoying cat' thing is a crock! always have...always will! IMO

Please dont question MY opinions. you dont like em... Put me on ignore...and I'll do the same for you! Cheers!

Adrian.
    Last edited by Staff Of Ka; August 4, 2011 at 09:22am.

[/CENTER]

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I think DisneyBoy is better off campaigning for a separate Spirit figure than to change the existing one. They aren't resculpting anything, so you might as well try for the next go around.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)