Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trollans in MOTUC

Trollans in MOTUC

OK, so we know that the Filmation characters of Trolla are off limits. But, Trollans are mentioned in the bios, and we have the Orko buck. So, could/would Mattel create new Trollan characters to add to the line down the road? Could we get a Trollan council that Orko secretly reports to in his undercover role as He-man's watcher? What do y'all think? Would you even want more Trollans in the line?

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Speaking literally, they COULD make more (all-new) Trollans, yes. But the only other one that they currently have rights to and I (personally) have any interest in is the Oracle.

Otherwise, I'd prefer them to wait till they have the rights to Montork, Dree-Elle, the Crimson Council, etc. All-new characters can wait till all the extant non-toy characters are done...

Ugh.

Why repeat & enlarge one of Filmation's most hateful errors?

Unless you like stupid visual gags & cute "David vs Goliath" story-lines?
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

I would be interested in other "on screen" and known Trollans, but not new ones.

Heroic Warrior
    With all the established characters out there waiting to be made... I'm in no hurry for a repaint of orko. honestly, I think it was a horrible... horrible mistake to base so much of the backstory on concepts they 'really' can't do much with...

Until they get the filmation rights, doing ANYTHING with Trolla was a mistake.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    Ugh.

Why repeat & enlarge one of Filmation's most hateful errors?

Unless you like stupid visual gags & cute "David vs Goliath" story-lines?
    VERY eloquently put, Eternian Poet.

Even as a child I hated Orko, if for no other reason than the way he tormented Man-At-Arms, who I liked. Of course there were other reasons, like his god-awful voice.

J-bird drew some really cool Trollan Council members a while back. Any of them rendered by the 4 Horsemen would get my support, and probably change some fans' minds, but mostly I think you'd have to go above and beyond to make new Trollans into a big hit with fans. If they came with the first mini comic, or a ton of extra heads, or three or four in a single $20 pack that's sold in the bonus figure slot (because of that lifeboat mentality), then you might avoid the moaning and groaning. Or maybe you can't avoid that. I think they'd sell out fast enough if they looked cool enough.

Master of Mix & Match Charlie Brown's Avatar
    i personally liked so much supermunkyboy's take on the trollan council:

http://img837.imageshack.us/g/aggroo...ercouncil.jpg/

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    J-bird drew some really cool Trollan Council members a while back. Any of them rendered by the 4 Horsemen would get my support, and probably change some fans' minds, but mostly I think you'd have to go above and beyond to make new Trollans into a big hit with fans. If they came with the first mini comic, or a ton of extra heads, or three or four in a single $20 pack that's sold in the bonus figure slot (because of that lifeboat mentality), then you might avoid the moaning and groaning. Or maybe you can't avoid that. I think they'd sell out fast enough if they looked cool enough.
    Here's the point - between old toys, MYP and comics, they can make twelve characters a year (not counting variants) until at least 2018 or 2019 at current rates without running out. [If they ever get the Filmation rights, add at least five years to that, and more likely ten. I'm pretty certain they can also fill four beast/giant/army-builder slots a year for at least that long from pre-existing material]

The odds on this line lasting until 2020 (i.e., for another ten full years) are fairly slim, quite honestly, no matter what Mattel do. So which would you rather - new characters, or a full set of [e.g.] MYP cartoon characters?

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by UTK007 View Post
    Would you even want more Trollans in the line?
    Ummmm, no...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Heroic Warrior
    OK, so we know that the Filmation characters of Trolla are off limits. But, Trollans are mentioned in the bios, and we have the Orko buck. So, could/would Mattel create new Trollan characters to add to the line down the road? Could we get a Trollan council that Orko secretly reports to in his undercover role as He-man's watcher? What do y'all think? Would you even want more Trollans in the line?
    In a Q & A Toyguru said that they would do Trollans down the line

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post

WOW!

Those are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post

WOW!

Those are awesome.
    Sure, make 'em creepy & vague & I'm in. Great pix.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

I'd be up for new Trollans, preferably with new media to outline their role in the MOTU story ... but I'd much rather Mattel acquire the Filmation rights for existing Trollans like Montork and Dree-Elle.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Keyboard Warrior The Blue Beetle's Avatar
    I'm sure that the Four Horseman will find a way to make any new Trollan characters look cool. Supermunkyboy's design show that it is possible! Maybe 4H should pay you a commission, SMB!

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    Here's the point - between old toys, MYP and comics, they can make twelve characters a year (not counting variants) until at least 2018 or 2019 at current rates without running out. [If they ever get the Filmation rights, add at least five years to that, and more likely ten. I'm pretty certain they can also fill four beast/giant/army-builder slots a year for at least that long from pre-existing material]

The odds on this line lasting until 2020 (i.e., for another ten full years) are fairly slim, quite honestly, no matter what Mattel do. So which would you rather - new characters, or a full set of [e.g.] MYP cartoon characters?
    Not that I'm really dying for more trollans but, if made, they probably wouldnt take away any monthly slots. We saw with Orko that they are too small to be packaged alone and sold for $20. So they'd either have to make a whole new SKU, do some kind of exclusive or do a multipack. That makes trollans a tiny bit more appealing to me.

I wouldnt mind them doing the filmation trollans if they ever got the rights. A whole species of filmation Kowl creatures is even more appealing....I love that know-it-owl.

Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    Really? Do you happen to remember where and when he said that?

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeTeela View Post
    Not that I'm really dying for more trollans but, if made, they probably wouldnt take away any monthly slots. We saw with Orko that they are too small to be packaged alone and sold for $20. So they'd either have to make a whole new SKU, do some kind of exclusive or do a multipack. That makes trollans a tiny bit more appealing to me.
    The multipack option could mean two or three in a single $20 [monthly figure] pack.

After the precedent set with this year's SDCC exclusive [that it will be a main character or characters to draw attention to the line, as TG's stated, rather than a prototypical oddity like He-Ro], combined with the "straight repaint only" limit on the TRU packs, I don't see any "all-new" Trollans fitting as either. And they'd need to do three to five of them to make it up to an oversized ($30+) slot.

I would totally dig new Trollans. I would love The Oracle, but if we could ever get the Filmation gang, that would be great as well. Also, any new Trollan characters are welcome on my shelves as well.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

I'd definitely want the Filmation Trollans, but until then, I'd be happy with a Gorpo, and I suppose, the Oracle could be cool too.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post

Wow! Those are all pretty awesome!
    – No comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post

How about all those characters instead of whatever ones you want? Seriously, I think this "you can't have X if you get Y" is getting tiresome. We'll get what we get, however they work it out. I'll always be in favor of at least trying something new, be it MYP, non toy, or totally new characters, but I reserve the right to say if those new characters are any good or not though.
    Last edited by gbagok; November 8, 2010 at 08:08pm.

No thanks...Orko's great, but I can do without any more.
    My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    I would love The Oracle
    Before this thread, I didn't even know who the Oracle was. Now I'm going to have to go back and rewatch the episode that she's in.

Seriously, I think this "you can't have X if you get Y" is getting tiresome.
    Thing is though, that's the way it works! The best spin you could put on it is "you'll have to wait for X if you get Y now", but that neglects that the line is finite - at SOME point, sales will peter out and the line will end. And there'll be an "X" or ten left at that point - if not characters who previously had toys, then cartoon and/or comic characters.

We'll get what we get, however they work it out. I'll always be in favor of at least trying something new, be it MYP, non toy, or totally new characters, but I reserve the right to say if those new characters are any good or not though.
    But MotUC is fundamentally a line targeted at people who remember He-Man/She-Ra from days of yore - and the means of distribution, limited supply and lack of media support keep it that way. [And if they'd intended otherwise, Mattel would have probably been too busy shoving He-Men and Skeletors up the wazoo to bother with any "totally new characters"]. It's a way to complete the MotUverse in plastic form - getting to characters like Marzo, Carnivus and even the frakking Goddess, in a way previous lines never tried. Adding "totally new characters", doubly so without a meaningful story, goes against that goal.

J-bird did these in 2009:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...155746&page=11

I would love some depth in the Trollan background and that the clothes that Orko wears aren't a Trollan MAO uniform, but represent a certain Crimson group.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Before this thread, I didn't even know who the Oracle was. Now I'm going to have to go back and rewatch the episode that she's in.
    It's a he...I think.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!