Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spacing out the line... at what point is it too much

Spacing out the line... at what point is it too much

Quote Originally Posted by Brad2dbone View Post
    My fear is that if interest continues to dwindle we may lose out on some really great figures that haven't been announced yet, like Ram-man and Mekaneck. I know Mattel wants to space out the A-listers, but at what point does it become too much? To me we're pushing that limit now. Mattel: don't kill your Golden Goose!
    We know that some characters are deliberately held back so that they don't "front load" the line with the heavy hitters first (they sort of did this with DCUC...). We have about two dozen odd vintage MotU characters left, but I doubt all of them are "A-listers" or "heavy hitters" or whatever they are to be called. Ram Man and Mekaneck is probably on the list, as well as Rattlor, Tung Lashor, Stinkor and Spikor, to name a few (or is that most of them?). I have no idea at what point it becomes too much though - I think if they reign in the obscure charactes, and reduce the total numbers of characters slightly, they might be doing themselves a favour, but that's just my opinion.
    Got Fur

I want a Glimmer by the end of 2012 and Extendar by 2013!
    Other Wants:
    MotU: Rokkon, Stonedar, Dragstor, Modulok, Multi-bot, Horde Trooper, DB Skeletor
    PoP: Peekablue, Madam Razz, Lighthope, Kowl
    NA: Quakke, Sagitarr
    MYP: Hawk, Queen Andreenos, Lord Dactys
    Mini-Comics: Kex Queen, Tug-of-War Yellow Warrior, King Hiss' Slave Girl

I think the mix is good so far...I actually would have preferred if they spread out the "A-listers" a bit more.

I know a lot of people who only want to buy the vintage figures wish they would all come out now and the line would die and that would be it. But I want a large, diverse collection with as many characters as possible. And holding some characters "hostage" helps keep the line going.

If its all said and done, the line ends and we dont have Ram-Man, Mekaneck, Stinkor and Spikor but we have 150+ figures including a great deal of POP figures, NA figures, concept figures, 200x figures...I'll consider the line a bigger success than if we just got all the vintage MOTU figures redone but the line died shortly after due to lack of interest.

Heroic Warrior
    I agree.

We're already 4-5 years into the line. How many toy lines go indefinetly before getting re-imagined, revitalized, SOMETHING... Movie versions, Back to Retail... ANYTHING could happen to end this line and restart it with the original 8 back again.

They SAY they have it planned out to 2016 which may be adjusted now that we have filmation... but I think that's VERY optomistic. Especially with the scare tactics they've been pushing for the subs...

granted I got sorceress next year... so I'm ECSTATIC!!! I thought for SURE she was going ot be the one held back till it was too late. I would LOVE meckaneck. He was always one of my favorites (probably the blue and silver... VERY heroic! )

Ram man... HONESTLY, I'm more interested in seeing what they DO with him then I am to actually BuY him. The original was such a LAME toy... that if they can work some magic on him... he could be AWESOME.

And of course Spikor. LOVE an enemy He-man can't punch

Those are my 'must haves' The rest would be nice... but I don't consider them hostages...

Ohhh.. .Frosta. She was my favorite PoP. I think she's the last one i want from that faction.

Master of Power Suction Killian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SnakeTeela View Post
    I think the mix is good so far...I actually would have preferred if they spread out the "A-listers" a bit more.

I know a lot of people who only want to buy the vintage figures wish they would all come out now and the line would die and that would be it. But I want a large, diverse collection with as many characters as possible. And holding some characters "hostage" helps keep the line going.

If its all said and done, the line ends and we dont have Ram-Man, Mekaneck, Stinkor and Spikor but we have 150+ figures including a great deal of POP figures, NA figures, concept figures, 200x figures...I'll consider the line a bigger success than if we just got all the vintage MOTU figures redone but the line died shortly after due to lack of interest.
    Quoted for Truth,
    in fact we've already had too many "A-List" characters so far, they should have spaced them out more to give the line even more longevity and given us a couple more concept characters or less popular characters per year so far.
    He who dies with the most MOTUC wins!

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    I really think its beyond help! They have overloaded the fiirst three years with 'A' listers and Heavy hitters!

Theres only two or three left.....and Yet they want the line to last until 2021???

I think its just silly now!

Quote Originally Posted by Killian View Post
    Quoted for Truth,
    in fact we've already had too many "A-List" characters so far, they should have spaced them out more to give the line even more longevity and given us a couple more concept characters or less popular characters per year so far.
    Exactly! They said its planned out....but now we know its not planned out very well!
    Last edited by Staff Of Ka; August 26, 2011 at 08:48am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Dear Mattel, Please remember you are one of the biggest toy companies on the planet, So hows about making toys people want and NOT Excuses.

THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    If i´ll get no Ram Man, i´ll be really ****** off!

i think the problem is the 'end date' on the planned out line keeps on getting moved further out. the big question is whether the 'must have' figures (and let's be realistic that everyone has a different idea of what that is) that will keep people coming back are also being further spread out. for all we know, we could still get all the big hitters by the original 2016 end date; i can't recall TG ever saying if heavy hitters are being moved to 2021. it could be that we hit a creative 'refresh' of big names after 2016.

Guys, keep in mind: there isn't and there never was a "end date".
    Companies don't plan when to end a line, especially if it's successful.
    2016 was just a date that would have allowed them to do all the characters they had planned. Plans have changed and more characters have been added. But there is still no end date that has been moved further. If they line is still going strong in 2021, you can bet Mattel will find a way to continue it, not to stop it.

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeTeela View Post
    I very much agree with this.
    Sure, I'd love a Ram-Man, a Spikor or a Mechanek just as much as anyone else, but I still want to see a lot of figures that are not neccessarily big fan favourites get made. I'd like to see some more obscure characters.
    I can wait for the big hitters, and I'll take my chances and keep the faith that eventually they'll get made. I don't want to ruin my chances of seeing something new in Motu just for the sake of a small handful of popular characters.

Personally, if this line can continue until and including 2015, I'd be over the moon about it. To me that would indicate a highly successful line, and hey, who's to say it won't extend beyond that date?

Perhaps a movie, a new cartoon or something else comes along to reinvigorate things...anything is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    Guys, keep in mind: there isn't and there never was a "end date".
    Companies don't plan when to end a line, especially if it's successful.
    2016 was just a date that would have allowed them to do all the characters they had planned. Plans have changed and more characters have been added. But there is still no end date that has been moved further. If they line is still going strong in 2021, you can bet Mattel will find a way to continue it, not to stop it.
    I live in hope that the line will still be going in 2021. I would love it if by then we have 1987 live action movie rights, and characters from any new live action "MotU-Movie-Franchise", that we may see between now and then. I remain optimistic and completely believe in the quality and strength of the entire "MotU-Property".

Take Care,
    Darren
    Mattel please, buy the He-Man and She-Ra cartoons from Entertainment Rights. If you owned Both Filmation related "MotU" cartoons, plus "NA" and "MYP" cartoons, you would be able to distribute any or all 4 cartoons to Television in the lead up to another relaunch or a live action movie. Plus, you could include Filmation and "NA" animated characters in "MotU:C"!

Long Live 'MOTU'!

Heroic Horde General Canada-Man's Avatar
    Personally I want as many figures as possible including pop and na but I doubt there is enough fuel in the engine get everything. I kind of would like 2012 to knock off as many vintage and main filmation characters as possible so it can get vintage purist to get into the sub for 2013 ... if we got all the vintage toys and then a year or two of pure pop, na, and filmation i'd be down for the subs

This has worried me too.

From the period from Scare Glow/King Randor, it seemed to be very much on the right track. We got Trap Jaw and Evil-Lyn (two heavy-hitters) interpsersed with Moss Man and Whiplash from MOTU, plus Adora, She-Ra, Optikk and Chief Carnivus. I thought this was the sign of things to come and was expecting another female that year and possibly another NA soon after. But it got very MOTU-heavy again.

Buzz-ff, Grizzlor, Roboto, King Hiss, Sy-Klone...but it was Man-E-Faces and Clawful that sealed the deal for me. I'm now worried about the line's longevity, considering we don't have many A-List MOTU characters (or even B-list...) left.

It feels like Mattel are trying to please everyone and as a result are only pleasing the hardcore lovers-of-everything.

I still wonder if a variety of subs are the way to go - it'd be more complicated for them, but may keep fans happy in the short and long-term (eg. a MOTU sub of six figures, two beasts and two variants, a POP sub of three figures, one beast and one variant etc).
    Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - Spinnerella - Melaktha - Vultak - Dylamug - Crita - Mermista Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina

I just hope that we don't have what happened to DCUC happen to us. They didn't complete some teams and kept saying that they need to spread out the release, now those teams are incomplete and those figures have little chance of seeing the light of day.

With the constant reminder that sub sales are lowest yet, 2013 wont have anything new added, I just hope that we get Ram-Man, Two-Bad and Stinkor before they decide to change it.

Heroic Warrior
    I can understand, why most fans want as many figures as possible, part of me wants it, too...

But the other part of me wants all the vintage figs now! It's silly, but MOTUC is all of emotions

Heroic Warrior
    2021? For a limited edition collector line? I have serious doubts that it will last that long. I'm not sure that even the 'I'm-in-it-for-everything-until-my-dying-breath' brigade would find it easy to commit to another $5,000+ for lots of obscure characters.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

2021? This is news to me.

Venezuelan President / Dictator-in-disguise Hugo Chavez has been stating for quite some time now that he'll be in office until 2021. IMHO, anyone who claims they have it all figured out for the next 10 years, is either evil or stupid.

Sometimes i'm not sure what exactly Mattel is.

Could the line continue to 2021? Yes, possibly. Look at Hasbro. They never said back in 1996: We have the line all figured out until 2011... They just kept releasing more AND BETTER figures ("better" being the key here), from a variety of sources, films, expanded universe, conceptual, cartoons, comics, etc... so fans kept buying even those characters they already had, just because Hasbro released a version that exceeded in quality the one released just 3 years prior.

I can observe the evolution of Hasbro's SW only by comparing side to side the various Boba Fetts they've produced non-stop since 1996. Who's to say Mattel won't do the same thing?

Now with Filmation Rights, they might as well release EVERY character in Filmation colors and details, starting with He-Man and Skeletor. And NO, the ones that came in the comic packs are NOT Filmation accurate.

Now we can have those, as well as Filmation Teela, MAA, Trap-Jaw, Mer-Man, etc. Very easy repaints with just slight retools, and they would sell like hot cakes because it seems most people here are crazy about vintage and Filmation... I bet these figures along with others can fill up the space for a good 4-5 years more.

But until 2021? ... i'm not so sure. Would like to have an invisible cloak to sneak into meetings and see what they have planned. Personally, i highly doubt it.
    Last edited by JOXE; August 26, 2011 at 12:25pm.

See my illustrations and designs @ DeviantART: http://pezbananadesign.deviantart.com/

My Feedback Thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/....php?p=2715534

=)

You didn't get my point
    2021 isn't a plan. They haven't schedule as much. They line is planned year by year, and right now it's planned only upt ot 2013.
    IF the line goes well, there are enough characters to make it go up to 2021. That's it.

I just want figures I've never owned before! The only Filmation characters I'm interested in is Masque, Fang Man, Garr, Icer, Lizardman and the Trollans everything else is meh. So as long as the line ends when it was originally planned out 2016,2017 I'd be pretty happy!

Just give me my Mekaneck already, that's all I want.

Oh and just to clarify a bit, I never said that the A-listers are too spaced out, I just said that we're pushing the limit. In other words, IDK if we've crossed that line yet, but I do think we're really close to it.

I don't care when we get anyone, as long as we get all Vintage MOTU, PoP, NA characters, 200x, and a great helping (as we have thus far) of everything from in between and afterward.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Way to Go Club Etheria!

once i get ram man, mekaneck, and stinkor, i'll be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpia View Post
    It feels like Mattel are trying to please everyone and as a result are only pleasing the hardcore lovers-of-everything.

I still wonder if a variety of subs are the way to go - it'd be more complicated for them, but may keep fans happy in the short and long-term (eg. a MOTU sub of six figures, two beasts and two variants, a POP sub of three figures, one beast and one variant etc).
    I really agree on this. Mattel should be aware that the MOTU fan-base is diverse and that not everything appeals to everyone. It's good that they want to make characters from all era's but it's wrong to assume that every MOTU fan will want everything. It's a bit of a double standard where the amount of subscriptions is forming now the base for the line's future while the subscription is also defined as being only for the completists. I don't think it's very wise to put all your eggs in one basket.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Snappy Threader
    I think the mix has been good. They almost had to incorporate a lot of A characters and heavy hitters in the first few years just to keep excitement. There are only a few big ones left obviously, but I suppose you never know who may become a future heavy hitter. The only worry I have is there are a bunch of POP girls left to come out, they will have to work pretty hard to keep the great mix going forward. It isn't that I dislike the POP stuff, becasue I like it very much, I just worry that too many without enough spacer could ruin the line. I sure hope not though.

Heroic Warrior
    The line is great, but Matty has not spaced out A-listers as good as they said they would. Making Sorceress, Fisto, and Kobra Kahn, as well as Shadow Weaver all in the same year was a big mistake, taking off several A-listers that could have helped make future years' offerings more well-rounded.
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

Heroic Warrior
    I think to me, we are at the point where spacing out the line is too much. At this point given all the A-listers and heavy hitters already made, it would make sense to release nothing but the remaining heavy hitters then offer various sub-subscriptions to finish out the remaining factions. I want Ram-Man and the other vintage figures to be made before the line goes belly up. Not trying to be doom and gloom just stating my preference. Mattel has combined many aspects of the MOTU universe into the line but I feel they need to focus on the core Masters figures going forward, and in regard to the other factions of toys just make the more popular figures from POP,NA, etc. TRUE completionists will subscribe no matter who is offered, but I think it stinks to have to buy tons of product you don't want to have the hope that the remaining vintage figures would be released or worse yet held hostage as a subscription bonus figure. It's getting to a point of very tricky/poor marketing.
    Good trades with: Cammor