Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyguru Mattycollector.com MOTUC news thread August 2011

I hated a lot of the Filmation characters, as I thought they looked ridiculous standing aside He-Man/Skeletor. (especially the ones that looked like they belonged in the Smurfs or some other Hannah Barbara cartoon.)

I'd want Filmation variants of all the main characters.

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Memnoch View Post
    I'm actually quite happy TG put the nail in the coffin of FILMation styled figures, and confirmed everything will be in the Classics detailed style. That was a thought that made my stomach turn a bit - two styles in one line, one magnificent and one far too simplistic.
    Exactly! couldnt put it better!

Heres a perfect example of what I Feared in the wake of the 'Cartoon' rights!

Top row is what I dreaded,Bottom Row is what I LOVE about MOTUC! (yes I know its Ghostbusters....But You know what i mean!)

Thankyou TG!
    Last edited by Staff Of Ka; August 13, 2011 at 05:14am.
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

We can of course do straight repaints, the concern is whether fans would except this as a quarterly variant. We are under the impression that including repaints in the sub is frowned upon. (this was the beauty of the TRU 2 packs, it was an awesome vehicle to do repaints!)

What say you?
    Did you get this impression before or after you pawned that pathetic Battle Ground Evil Lyn Teela repaint off on me instead of the promised 200x Evil Lyn?

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn29 View Post
    Did you get this impression before or after you pawned that pathetic Battle Ground Evil Lyn Teela repaint off on me instead of the promised 200x Evil Lyn?
    LMAO!
    Great point.

Battleground Evil-Lyn is exactly what they said that they weren't going to do with Filmation variants.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Evil Apologist of Mattelฎ Count Marzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Staff Of Ka View Post
    Exactly! couldnt put it better!

Heres a perfect example of what I Feared in the wake of the 'Cartoon' rights!

Top row is what I dreaded,Bottom Row is what I LOVE about MOTUC! (yes I know its Ghostbusters....But You know what i mean!)

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...ac71/figst.jpg

Thankyou TG!
    Cartoons are fun too! The 80s was the best time for cartoons and action figures! I grew up on both! How could you like one but not the other? They are like peanut butter and jelly! I like the Real Ghostbusters cartoon, the movies, and the figures. I actually think I prefer the cartoon colors because they are more vibrant and stand out.

I love Fillamation AND vintage MOTU/PoP. If it's from the 80s and had a great toyline and cartoon to go with it, there's a good chance I definitely enjoy it!
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLลวK FLุWหRŠ!!!!

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I don't believe this answer as I look at Adora, She-Ra, Catra, Queen Marlena and the Shadow Beast.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I don't believe this answer as I look at Adora, She-Ra, Catra, Queen Marlena and the Shadow Beast.

i have nothing against filmation (cartoon) styled characters being made - just NOT in classics. i want my Madame Razz, Octavia and Imp to fit in with the rest of my figures; that's the beauty of Classics, I want my 'fight to the death' between Orko and Imp to look sweet as!

i also don't want straight up repaints in the subscription - if you are going to commit blindly to a year of figures, they can at least be guaranteed to not be repaints.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn29 View Post
    She's not a straight repaint. Like Keldor, she comes with a newly tooled head and cape.
    She's also not 200x Lyn, she's something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    She's not a straight repaint. Like Keldor, she comes with a newly tooled head and cape.
    She's also not 200x Lyn, she's something new.
    What Thrawn is trying to say is this:

This is ALSO what that first Filmation question in this thread was asking for. A Filmation He-Man would require a repainted body, new head (or at least new hair), new harness--just like Battleground Evil-Lyn has, who comes from MYP, another animated series.

To say they can't do that with Filmation when they've already set the precedent for it by giving us what we didn't want (a repaint), is nuts.

A new harness and hair based on the cartoon interpretations of the basic design isn't the classic style. It's the same as spiky-haired He-Man. It's been made pretty clear.
    There is no precedent for it, either. And there have been no straight repaints of the same character outside of the DC 2-packs.

A new harness and hair based on the cartoon interpretations of the basic design isn't the classic style. It's the same as spiky-haired He-Man. It's been made pretty clear.
    There is no precedent for it, either. And there have been no straight repaints of the same character outside of the DC 2-packs.
    The Alcala Skeletor head isn't in the Classic style, but that's getting made. And which head is Classic Mer-Man, his cardback head or his original toy head? Based on the MOTUC Rumbler, is 200X Moss Man's head now the Classic version? What constitutes classic style is pretty malleable based on the toy heads and cardback heads and 200X heads that we've gotten so far.

As far as the harness goes, 200X He-Man from WTFWTK 2.51 is said to get a new harness, so this would help to make him a more unique purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    The Alcala Skeletor head isn't in the Classic style, but that's getting made. And which head is Classic Mer-Man, his cardback head or his original toy head? What constitutes classic style is pretty malleable based on the toy heads and cardback heads and 200X heads that we've gotten so far.

As far as the harness goes, 200X He-Man from WTFWTK 2.51 is said to get a new harness, so this would help to make him a more unique purchase.
    Yeah, I know. The Alcala head is pushing it, but they're tying it to Demo-man somehow and the colour is off a bit to match him.
    Mer-Man is different. He has two vintage designs based on the classic style. A sculpt based on the cartoon wouldn't fit that style, which is old toys and artwork.
    Moss Man falls under an established rule where figures that had repainted heads in the 80s will get new heads in this line to go with them. They seem to be running with the 200x look for him going forward. Stinkor will get the same treatment as Moss Man with a 2nd head, and I'll bet he gets the Fisto treatment--the classic head with a mask on it, or something like that.
    It's very arbitrary at times based on examples like those, but the line is a lot more consistent and defined than people make it out to be sometimes.

Why do you want a filmation He-Man anyway? Seems a bit off-the-wall, lol.
    Last edited by Whiplash7; August 14, 2011 at 03:36pm.

Yeah, I know. The Alcala head is pushing it, but they're tying it to Demo-man somehow and the colour is off a bit to match him.
    Mer-Man is different. He has two vintage designs based on the classic style. A sculpt based on the cartoon wouldn't fit that style, which is old toys and artwork.
    It's very arbitrary at times based on examples like those, but the line is a lot more consistent and defined than people make it out to be sometimes.

Why do you want a filmation He-Man anyway? Seems a bit off-the-wall, lol.
    I know...ME of all people?

I love choice (although even I have limits that most fans haven't seen yet). In my display, blonde Teela regularly is in her bikini or her leotard, depending on my mood. He-Man is either in his 200X duds or his Classic look at my whim. Although I prefer MYP/200X and Pre-Filmation MOTU, I like ALL MOTU and I'd like to have the option of which versions of characters I'd like to display.

While I don't have the reverence for Filmation that alot of fans do, I would like to see fans of that show get their variants, just like I would want MYP variants. The cartoons are very different, but we have very similar goals. Hell, even the discussions are familiar--just swap Filmation with MYP/200X.

I think if they include 'Filmation versions' of the main characters in the sub it would be the first time I didn't get a sub. The figures just wouldn't be different enough IMO.
    All caught up on figures...now what

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenousPuma View Post
    I think if they include 'Filmation versions' of the main characters in the sub it would be the first time I didn't get a sub. The figures just wouldn't be different enough IMO.
    Straight off the top of my head, what about Randor, Hordak, Evil-Lyn and Clawful?

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    Straight off the top of my head, what about Randor, Hordak, Evil-Lyn and Clawful?
    Those are variants worth doing, and hopefully TG wouldn't be opposed to those, especially Hordak, Evil Lyn, and RANDOR!
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

I don't want to get Filmation variants of previously released characters anymore than I want them of designs from the DC Comics or 2002/MYP. Now if they made a separate Filmation line, I'd be all for it, but I'd also drop MOTUC. Since that's not going to happen, I really don't want 10 versions of every character.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

The two newest questions are up so far. I wonder who the 200X character for 2012 would be if we get one?

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    The two newest questions are up so far. I wonder who the 200X character for 2012 would be if we get one?
    I'm actually REALLY hoping we get at least ONE or TWO NA characters. My NA shelf is WAY behind the others.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

Three more answers are up!

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    I'm actually REALLY hoping we get at least ONE or TWO NA characters. My NA shelf is WAY behind the others.
    Yeah...I'm really hoping we see Hydron, Slushhead or Flogg this year!

Cool! Lots of questions about the Star Sisters.

At this point, I'd rather they just save the toy color schemes for A-List variants.

There is no precedent for it, either.
    What about She-Ra? Her head, boots and wrists were based directly on her Filmation design. She-Ra 2.0 has the more detailed wristbands and boots, which fits better with the toy based He-Man. I don't see why they couldn't do a styleguide He-Man to place beside She-Ra 1.0.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Cool! Lots of questions about the Star Sisters.

At this point, I'd rather they just save the toy color schemes for A-List variants.
    I agree. Jewelstar's variant needs to look more "jewel" which has new tooling required. I also want the Star Sisters' missing pieces!

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    What about She-Ra? Her head, boots and wrists were based directly on her Filmation design. She-Ra 2.0 has the more detailed wristbands and boots, which fits better with the toy based He-Man. I don't see why they couldn't do a styleguide He-Man to place beside She-Ra 1.0.
    Yeah...PoP is 100% Filmation, whereas everything is is based on the toys or cardbacks...so...when they say they won't do Filmation styled figures in MOTUC...they already have. The PoP toy stuff is only coming as extras, like the 200X style stuff. It's pretty ridiculous. I tried bringing this up on Mattycollector a couple years ago in a thread ABOUT MOTUC style, but I was told not to talk about it and the thread was locked.

Anyway, She-Ra 2.0 is really the first PoP figure that actually meets the style of this toyline. Bow is redone like he would have been for MYP or something. He's cool and all (minus NA He-Man's parts), but he doesn't fit the style of the line (vintage toys + cardbacks).

EDIT:

Is it just me, or did TG completely miss the point of this guys question?

Mem-nor: Now that we have Orko and FILMation is do-able, is there a possibility of a new SKU for smaller characters or even two packs of Trollans? Would we see a possible variant of Orko or is he more of a one and done character since he was a Comic Con exclusive?

Toyguru: We're not going to be doing a separate animated style line. All figures regardless of source material will be in "Classics" style. So yes, Orko is pretty much done.
    He's asking about multi-packs of little characters instead of pack-ins, like they have been. He doesn't ask about a separate toyline! Also, Orko IS in animated style!

I forsee "animated style" being the new "hyper anime detail."
    Last edited by Darkspecter; August 14, 2011 at 03:29pm.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

It may not be fair to a lot of you, but I feel getting POP toys released in vintage toy form is not going to happen. Basically we are victims to what Mattel feels will sell better and the whims of the Four Horsemen.

I would have preferred the Filmation Count Marzo, but I feel that even if Mattel had the Filmation rights back then, we still would have received the MYP version since Mattel seemed to think that was more popular(although based on his sales, I wonder if the Filmation version could have possibly sold any worse). I also wish Panthor was flocked, Webstor & Buzz-Off didn't have tiny arms on their backs, and Teela didn't look like an ice queen, but that's how the 4H wanted it. Since Mattel thinks there are more MOTU fans who collect MOTUC than POP fans and Filmation seems to be more popular than vintage POP toy designs(I honestly don't know if either of those is true), I think we can expect to get more of the same.

I tried bringing this up on Mattycollector a couple years ago in a thread ABOUT MOTUC style, but I was told not to talk about it and the thread was locked.
    I never post on Matty's forums and really only look at it for ToyGuru's Q&A's, so I am not aware of how strict the mods are. They really told you to stop talking about a style of toy? I don't think they would even do that on this site and it can get pretty P.C. around here.

I forsee "animated style" being the new "hyper anime detail."
    I'm not expecting all future MOTUC toys to look like they walked out of a Filmation cartoon, but Mattel actually sought out the rights to Filmation rather than trying to pretend that style never existed. I definitely don't think it's going to be the new "hyper anime detail".
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; August 14, 2011 at 03:50pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!