Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyguru Mattycollector.com MOTUC news thread August 2011

well, it seemed like he says they need to get some money so they can develop the idea enough to get it to a pre-sale/thermometer stage; so this would be extra money, which is seems they can't get because sales are down. it surprises me that CG was planned for 2013 and not next year for the 30th... oh well, doesn't matter either way now.

OVERLORD OF EVIL mdhollywood247's Avatar
    you would think that maybe they use logic and relise that maybe 2012 with the 30th figs and 80 dollar dragon plus a whatever was not being released now was going to be expensive the number of skus in the sub is not the problem maybe was because a year of overload. dont get me wrong i like it but some cant afford it. maybe since the 30th figs are a one off thing 2013 will be better dont cut the line down just dont go for overkill. 2011 had all the same amount of skus and sold fine/

Quote Originally Posted by mdhollywood247 View Post
    you would think that maybe they use logic and relise that maybe 2012 with the 30th figs and 80 dollar dragon plus a whatever was not being released now was going to be expensive the number of skus in the sub is not the problem maybe was because a year of overload. dont get me wrong i like it but some cant afford it. maybe since the 30th figs are a one off thing 2013 will be better dont cut the line down just dont go for overkill. 2011 had all the same amount of skus and sold fine/
    I think its funny that they're ok with the $80 Filmation dragon, or even the $70 Stay Puft from the GB line that they say they can't make an Ecto-1 for, but CG they have to 'wait and see, maybe later'?

I'd rather they ditch the 2012 $80 dragon, do away with Beast SKU's just for 2013... and give us deserving fans a gosh-darned mo-frakkin' CASTLE GRAYSKULL! A one-off playset, doesn't mean they have to bring Snake Mountain and all the others... and resume doing the quarterly beasts again in 2014 (provided the line even lasts that long). Seriously- I don't quite get why every year has to have the same exact slots being offered. Can't they trim the fat (as in, just provide us 12 monthly figures for the calendar year) in 2013 and deliver us Grayskull in the 4th quarter of that year?
    Maybe people wouldn't be able to afford Grayskull ON TOP of a loaded 2013, but if it took the place of some of the other stuff... would fans be cool with that?
    Last edited by zodak74; August 22, 2011 at 08:10pm.

Evil Horde Poison Master! Mr_Yuck's Avatar
    The news this month coming from Scott on the heels of the sub sale has really got me thinking. To me it's illustrating how Mattel execs really have their finger on the trigger where this line is concerned. It just seems to me that the line is still on the edge, and that any items that aren't "instant sell outs" after adjusting production will be enough of an excuse to end it all.

I know Scott has reassured us things are "great", but it does make me wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Yuck View Post
    The news this month coming from Scott on the heels of the sub sale has really got me thinking. To me it's illustrating how Mattel execs really have their finger on the trigger where this line is concerned. It just seems to me that the line is still on the edge, and that any items that aren't "instant sell outs" after adjusting production will be enough of an excuse to end it all.

I know Scott has reassured us things are "great", but it does make me wonder.
    Then what does that mean for all the other lines that sell worse but yet keep going?
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Then what does that mean for all the other lines that sell worse but yet keep going?
    Well, DCUC will be officially dead in about 8 hours, Voltron will probably be a 1 and done type deal, I don't see them doing another sub next year, especially if they have a new retail line coming. Ghostbusters probably only has 2 years left in it, at best, but by then they'll have been able to get all the figure-worthy characters out. There could also be some contractual obligations where they have to continue to do something with the license or lose it.

MOTUC I assume has had the most money invested into it, also. They're the only 'in-house' line Matty offers, everything else is a licensed line. But who knows how TPTB at Mattel operate.

Evil Horde Poison Master! Mr_Yuck's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    I don't know. That's a good question to present to them. Even though there has been some great successes, I think the execs still have a lack of faith in the line, frankly. That's just my opinion though.

With a movie potentially on the horizon, I feel there's no way they would end this line and have zero product leading up to the release. They're going to want to keep in the 'public eye' at least until that happens, imo.

I'm pretty sure that one reason the GB sub keeps going is a licensing issue. They paid for the rights for GB and the likenesses. MOTUC is there own, they can kill it for whatever reason they want.

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    I don't think we should be worrying. The day MOTUC is not doing well is the day Mattycollector.com ceases to exist. Just look at the popularity and sell-out times of MOTUC on there compared to everything else. Once again, I'll worry when we have a MOTUC Thermometer of Doom which is MattyCollector.com's suicide note imo.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    I think Mattel need to lower the exaggerate amount of figures per month to one. Every other month they should include with the sub one item such as vehicles, beast, army builder etc. They should eliminate everything else outside the sub. Keep selling all the sub items on Matty every month for the cherry pickers. This will help the subs sales and at the same time it will be made the sub affordable to all.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm still not sure why a lower baseline would make CG impossible. Why not do the thermometer anyway to gage interest?
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

You don't want a thermometer. It's evil and divisive.
    MOTUClassics.Com - Reviews, Release Schedule, Bios, & News.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Yes, thermometers are bad. It was either King Kahn or Count Marzo that joked a year or two ago that if Mattel did pre-orders or something they'd be going "We're at threat level yellow!"
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skystalker View Post
    I'm still not sure why a lower baseline would make CG impossible. Why not do the thermometer anyway to gage interest?
    They'd need to pay the 4H to do work-ups for a MotUC Castle Grayskull to display for pre-order even if it was short of a full, painted sculpt. If interest in MotUC is seen to be declining, they don't get even that limited pot of cash.

I don't agree with taking away Granamyr to get Castle Grayskull. Granamyr has waited far longer to appear as a toy. CG can wait until 2013, thankyouverymuch.

As for skipping bonus beasts and bonus figures to get a Castle....I can't say I am willing to make that trade because I like the characters a lot more than in-scale playsets (which will NEVER be truly in scale anyway). But I also can't envision another way to make an expensive playset happen for this line. Say they plan a year where the bonus items are all at their cheapest (no more than $30 each) and they might then have room for a Castle Grayskull outside of the sub. I say "might" though because if Castle Grayskull is $300...honestly, I think most of us, if we bought that, would not buy two and probably not much else on Matty. It would surely cut into any other subs as well. MOTUC fans who are getting Voltron, GB, and DCUC will probably drop those to make room for Grayskull. I know that's what I'd do if I bothered at all, and while I'm not rich, I gather I'm spending more than many others on these lines. And if CG were announced after buyers had to commit to 2013 subs, then CG sales would probably be low.

Once again though, I really think a nice miniature of Castle Grayskull would be cooler (although for me, even a miniature would need to be large).

If we're talking about skipping beasts to get CG, YES! But that, alas, is not what we are discussing, nor is TG.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Roton 4) Dragstor 5) Saurod 6) Karg 7) Lodar 8) Mask of Power Demons 9) TC Skeletor 10) FF He-Man 11) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 12) Road Ripper 13) Lord Masque 14) Filmation Teela

Quote Originally Posted by hhhelmsley View Post
    I think Mattel need to lower the exaggerate amount of figures per month to one. Every other month they should include with the sub one item such as vehicles, beast, army builder etc. They should eliminate everything else outside the sub. Keep selling all the sub items on Matty every month for the cherry pickers. This will help the subs sales and at the same time it will be made the sub affordable to all.
    I agree. Leave it to 2 items tops each month. The toy from the sub and whatever extra thing they want to add.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Honestly, they need to stop with this nonsense and just do a pre-order for Castle Grayskull to see if there's enough interest at so and so price-point. Put up a damn thermometer and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    I don't agree with taking away Granamyr to get Castle Grayskull. Granamyr has waited far longer to appear as a toy. CG can wait until 2013, thankyouverymuch.
    Castle Grayskull was my favorite playset as a kid. MOTU was also the only line where I got every playset & vehicle for it while I was collecting. Having said that, I agree. Give us Granamyr. CG would be cool(although I still don't know where I'll put it or if I will even be able to afford it), but Granamyr is a once in a lifetime type of thing. CG has been released for both eras of MOTU already.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Honestly, they need to stop with this nonsense and just do a pre-order for Castle Grayskull to see if there's enough interest at so and so price-point. Put up a damn thermometer and be done with it.

They can't even do a pre-order without showing some sort of mock-up of CG and from what I understand, becuz of the low sub sales, there are no funds to even develope a mock-up for us fans to see to atleast make a decision on pre-ordering or not. Talk about a gridlock.
    Last edited by Romadon; August 22, 2011 at 11:18pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Romadon View Post
    They can't even do a pre-order without showing some sort of mock-up of CG and from what I understand, becuz of the low sub sales, there are no funds to even develope a mock-up for us fans to see to atleast make a decision on pre-ordering or not. Talk about a gridlock.
    It seems like the Four Horsemen would do this for free.

I don't think Eric could be any more motivated to do it if you read his recent interview.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Roton 4) Dragstor 5) Saurod 6) Karg 7) Lodar 8) Mask of Power Demons 9) TC Skeletor 10) FF He-Man 11) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 12) Road Ripper 13) Lord Masque 14) Filmation Teela

Heroic Warrior
    Well if they're listening they should get the ball rolling on this, we're all curious to see it.