Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

Thread: Toyguru Mattycollector.com MOTUC news thread August 2011

Court Magician
    Once again: "We can't do a tiered sub! Except the one we're working on for the 30th anniversary figures. We're hoping to announce that one soon."

In other news, is it sick that I'm actually excited that CG might be $300? I feel like that implies it would be massive and amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by wayneepoo View Post
    This has nothing to do with the actual content of his answers, but what is up with TG messing up the use of "their" vs "there" so often? Sheesh!!

Sorry, not trying to be insulting by saying that, but it just gets on my nerves.
    This drives me CRAZY. It used to be just constant confusion of then/than with occasionally inappropriate apostrophes. Now we seem to no longer know the difference between there and their. Really? It's almost too jarring to focus on the answers.
    Last edited by spoogyrm; August 30, 2011 at 06:19pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Heroic Warrior
    Quick caveat: I appreciate so much about MOTUC and Scott's work, and say this out of concern, confusion and a little frustration. I don't mean this as a deth of the line rant or attack on Scott. Just curious if anybody else had the same reaction...

I usually just read the Q&As and try to stay out of the sometimes heated conversations, but a few responses in particular seemed to illustrate a dissappointing and worrisome disconnect between company and customers. I love that MOTUC has a MOTU fan as a brand manager, but this statement was dissappointing because I would have figured a fan would be more in touch with the fan base, and worrisome because when this kind of disconnect between consumers' actual wants and company's perception of their wants occur, it usually means trouble for sales and the longterm health of the line.

ToyGuru wrote
    Obviously their (sic) will be cherry pickers and we do plan for that, but in the end, the line would do just fine if we limited it to a sub only and didn't even bother with day of sales.
    I know others have bristled at the term "cherry pickers," and it irritates me, too. That label, coupled with the "didn't even bother" line sounds like Mattel/Toyguru view MOTUC day of sales customers as nuisances; that they are doing us a favor by offering anything beyond the sale. That might actually be the case (as the statement says), but there's a serious problem of tone here... Something that's popped up from time to time, but this struck me as a particularly bad example of it.

ToyGuru wrote
    (you have noticed we are doing Fearless Photog right? Who ever thought that would happen? But it did!
    and

We just need to be mindful that despite adding in Filmation, free mini comics, Shadow Weaver, Granamyr the 30th anniversary line, the create a character contest and the Windraider, we still had a reduction in sub purchases for 2012 (which we thought would be our biggest year ever- come on, free Mini comics people! Fearless Photog! Filmation! What else can we do?!)

Again, the "you have noticed, right" and "what else can we do" come across as condescending, but what really frustrates me is that Mattel and ToyGuru seem to think that the majority, or perhaps even a significant percentage of the fanbase have been wanting these things.

To preempt the "I want Granamyr" etc replies, let me be clear: I know plenty of people want Filmation characters, the 30th figures, etc. I'm not saying that. What I'm saying is that I don't think the majority of the fanbase does, and that the percentage of fans who do want each/all of these is much smaller than what TG/Mattel believe. We can fill this thread with anecdotal replies to the contrary, but I see Toyguru's statement as evidence of that disconnect between what they think fans want and what the actual demand is. When you make all these additions and expect the reception to be an increase in sales, but in fact, sales decline, it says to me you have some misunderstandings about your customers.

And that misunderstanding, coupled with what sounds like frustration and, at times, condescension, frustrates me as a customer. I collect other toy lines, and none of them are run by a brand manager as open to the fans. People who are tired of the "can't comment" comments in the lengthy, bimonthly Q&As should read the quarterly, much smaller, much shallower Q&As from Hasbro. I want this line to succeed for company and customers, and can certainly understand the frustration Scott may feel from time to time with the fandom, but you can't ever let that come across in your tone when addressing customers, especially when you're own surprise at sales figures seems to indicate you do not understand them as well as you thought.

Quote Originally Posted by 245am View Post
    Quick caveat: I appreciate so much about MOTUC and Scott's work, and say this out of concern, confusion and a little frustration. I don't mean this as a deth of the line rant or attack on Scott. Just curious if anybody else had the same reaction...

I usually just read the Q&As and try to stay out of the sometimes heated conversations, but a few responses in particular seemed to illustrate a dissappointing and worrisome disconnect between company and customers. I love that MOTUC has a MOTU fan as a brand manager, but this statement was dissappointing because I would have figured a fan would be more in touch with the fan base, and worrisome because when this kind of disconnect between consumers' actual wants and company's perception of their wants occur, it usually means trouble for sales and the longterm health of the line.

ToyGuru wrote

I know others have bristled at the term "cherry pickers," and it irritates me, too. That label, coupled with the "didn't even bother" line sounds like Mattel/Toyguru view MOTUC day of sales customers as nuisances; that they are doing us a favor by offering anything beyond the sale. That might actually be the case (as the statement says), but there's a serious problem of tone here... Something that's popped up from time to time, but this struck me as a particularly bad example of it.

ToyGuru wrote

and

Again, the "you have noticed, right" and "what else can we do" come across as condescending, but what really frustrates me is that Mattel and ToyGuru seem to think that the majority, or perhaps even a significant percentage of the fanbase have been wanting these things.

To preempt the "I want Granamyr" etc replies, let me be clear: I know plenty of people want Filmation characters, the 30th figures, etc. I'm not saying that. What I'm saying is that I don't think the majority of the fanbase does, and that the percentage of fans who do want each/all of these is much smaller than what TG/Mattel believe. We can fill this thread with anecdotal replies to the contrary, but I see Toyguru's statement as evidence of that disconnect between what they think fans want and what the actual demand is. When you make all these additions and expect the reception to be an increase in sales, but in fact, sales decline, it says to me you have some misunderstandings about your customers.

And that misunderstanding, coupled with what sounds like frustration and, at times, condescension, frustrates me as a customer. I collect other toy lines, and none of them are run by a brand manager as open to the fans. People who are tired of the "can't comment" comments in the lengthy, bimonthly Q&As should read the quarterly, much smaller, much shallower Q&As from Hasbro. I want this line to succeed for company and customers, and can certainly understand the frustration Scott may feel from time to time with the fandom, but you can't ever let that come across in your tone when addressing customers, especially when you're own surprise at sales figures seems to indicate you do not understand them as well as you thought.
    There was a thread on this yesterday that was closed. it got very heated but i didn't take anything bad or condescending in Toy Guru's response.

Not this again.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    Not this again.
    Right! Please God NO!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by bribri4u View Post
    There was a thread on this yesterday that was closed. it got very heated but i didn't take anything bad or condescending in Toy Guru's response.
    Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    Not this again.
    Quote Originally Posted by bribri4u View Post
    Right! Please God NO!
    That's my mistake- I had no idea there was a heated discussion about this already; I looked around but must have been deleted already. Like I said at the beginning, I don't typically get in to these threads because I really don't like how bad they can get. I hope it's clear from my language that it wasn't my intent to stir up an old argument. If a mod wants to delete this, please do. I was trying to present a calm, fair & measured response, but sounds like that could lead to an unreasonable argument, which is the last thing I want.
    Last edited by 245am; August 31, 2011 at 01:30am.

In the She-Ra Filmation series, Episode PP011, it's made clear that Horde Prime's son (the boy that comes to visit & be "babysat" by Hordak) is Hordak's nephew. If nothing else, the boy calling Hordak "uncle" all the time should give that away. It's nothing new.

I don't believe there was ever a Castle Grayskull in the line/plans/stars/whathaveyou to begin with. Whenever it was asked about or brought up in past questions, the answer was always "no". Whether it was flowered up ("that's a fine idea, but we're not commenting past _______ at this point"; "it's not in the books right now...") or not, the answers always boiled down to "no". C'mon, people. This is the first grade teacher saying, "Well, I had planned for a field trip to [enter favorite park here] next week, but since you've all been bad, we're not going to." after the students had asked to go and were told "no" already by the principal. They're trying to make you feel bad about something that wasn't going to happen in the first place! Don't. Don't let them do that to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevenn View Post
    Jetlag characters I need:

Mara (both looks)
    Crita (both looks)
    Master Sebrian
    Drissi
    Caz
    Grot
    Dreadator
    Gleep
    UR
    I'm with you Kevenn! Add Meliac and Clobber to that list (maybe even Grr, Skeletor's pet), and I'd be EXTREMELY happy with those NAHM figures!

Quote Originally Posted by Staff Of Ka View Post
    Yeah I agree....It bugs the hell outta me too! I love reading his posts, but that really frys my grits!
    "Frys my grits!" Oh I like you!
    Last edited by Mistico; August 31, 2011 at 05:12am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    From my youth and hometown when I was a kid...He-Matt and the Masters of the Kunaverse!

My feedback thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=214152
    My customs thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=215292
    My B/S/T thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ings-For-Sale!

Quote Originally Posted by guitargod694 View Post
    It is a little confusing, but I think his previous posts were 1) asking if people wanted less skus in 2013, and 2) saying they would be doing less new skus in 2013. Meaning the same number of skus as 2012.

But of course all of that is just talk. At this point, I wouldn't try holding anyone to anything they say about what they may or may not be doing in 2013. Especially since it's all hypothetical and nothing is locked down. Nevermind how quickly things are known to change with this line.
    Good points. It just seems like they would potentially be in the exact same situation (selling around the same or less subs in 2013) if the price doesn't drop a bit. I guess I'm trying to figure out how the line can grow again to the point where there's enough sales to seriously consider adding something like Castle Grayskull again.

Where is that "sultry" Evil Lyn pic from, I've never seen it before
    www.TheComixverse.com
    The Comixverse | comic reviews/previews/editorials & discussion.
    Follow me on Instagram www.instagram.com/jcmilone

Quote Originally Posted by Flint View Post
    Where is that "sultry" Evil Lyn pic from, I've never seen it before
    He-Ro, Son Of He-Man

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    He-Ro, Son Of He-Man
    Ahh yes, thanks for the reminder
    www.TheComixverse.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    I guess I'm trying to figure out how the line can grow again to the point where there's enough sales to seriously consider adding something like Castle Grayskull again.
    You assume that there is not enough sales now, yes subs were at their lowest (a point I still contend with given 2009's half sub) but I think the reason its not a go for 2012 is because it would literally break the backs of most people financially. Its too much of a risk, cause if it bombed or did not sell enough to make a profit it would be a huge disaster.

It has to be planned in so I would not be surprised if it appears in a year where there are only 12 subs or it becomes a new sku like 12 subs and a playset.

Whatever is said at this point is not finite, set in stone, never going to happen. The industry changes all the time and a rash of quick sell outs in 2012 could even motivate Mattel to move on it while the iron is hot.

Once again I say people need to stop worrying about the future, enjoy the present.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Mistico View Post
    I'm with you Kevenn! Add Meliac and Clobber to that list (maybe even Grr, Skeletor's pet), and I'd be EXTREMELY happy with those NAHM figures!
    Oh, *SO* co-signed on those three! Meliac would be a great figure. I didn't count Clobber as a Jet Lag character, since an illustration of him appeared in the controversial art book. I assumed that meant that Clobber originated at Mattel, and thus they have always had rights to him - and probably would have made him if the toyline had continued.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    You assume that there is not enough sales now, yes subs were at their lowest (a point I still contend with given 2009's half sub) but I think the reason its not a go for 2012 is because it would literally break the backs of most people financially. Its too much of a risk, cause if it bombed or did not sell enough to make a profit it would be a huge disaster.
    If it isn't a factor they were considering, it should have been. I think one major reason for the lower sub numbers is the overall price tag, the highest ever.

I'm thinking Granamyr may be something of a test for higher priced items; perhaps if he does well, there might be some re-consideration. I think the sales of the DCUC Legion 12 pack might also have an effect, as that's going to likely be in the $180-200 range.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Once again I say people need to stop worrying about the future, enjoy the present.
    For realz.

SDCC just happened and they showed a ****-ton of awesome things and I want all of them! I'm still excited for everything we've seen. There was not a bad thing shown.

I don't know how we went right from the high of SDCC to all this negative BS topics like breaking down Toyguru's every word looking for a way to twist it around to be negative.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    For realz.

SDCC just happened and they showed a ****-ton of awesome things and I want all of them! I'm still excited for everything we've seen. There was not a bad thing shown.

I don't know how we went right from the high of SDCC to all this negative BS topics like breaking down Toyguru's every word looking for a way to twist it around to be negative.
    Well that is just it, we got the toy reveals and so there is nothing to really anticipate except the doom and gloom a number of users automatically see with anything MOTU.

I am sure we will have a brief period of europhoria during and after Power-Con and that will be replaced with the same doom and gloom. Its cyclical and we are currently in a down cycle.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Well that is just it, we got the toy reveals and so there is nothing to really anticipate except the doom and gloom a number of users automatically see with anything MOTU.

I am sure we will have a brief period of europhoria during and after Power-Con and that will be replaced with the same doom and gloom. Its cyclical and we are currently in a down cycle.
    Then all I have to say is COME ON POWER-CON!
    www.TheComixverse.com

Time to do some yoga!
    Or take your meds.
    Or take your cool MOTU toys off the shelf & have them destroy each other!
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    That's the power of the Dark Side!

"Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevenn View Post
    Oh, *SO* co-signed on those three! Meliac would be a great figure. I didn't count Clobber as a Jet Lag character, since an illustration of him appeared in the controversial art book.
    Controversial Art Book? Forgive my ignorance, but what is this?

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Seeing him gives us a bit of perspective:

You want to see folks really bugging out, check out any posts about Lucas having Vader say "no" just before he throws the Emperor to his doom in an upcoming release of "Return of the Jedi." Makes the doomsayers here look like a happy face convention...
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    You want to see folks really bugging out, check out any posts about Lucas having Vader say "no" just before he throws the Emperor to his doom in an upcoming release of "Return of the Jedi." Makes the doomsayers here look like a happy face convention...
    Nooooooooo!!!!
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

I was just reading the Ask Matty board, someone asked if the could post a release schedule, here's TG reply.

ToyGuru QUOTE
    "One of the issues with doing this is things change all the time. Due to fan requests we are looking into moving BG Evil Lyn to December, however it also looks like the Windraider may slip out to Nov or Dec as well.

With things a bit in flux, it is hard to publish a firm list. But we will see what we can do!"

I'm all for Evil Lyn moving to DEC to save money in NOV with BP She-ra and Swifty and the JLU 7 pack. But moving the Windraider to NOV would be worse then just leaving EL in NOV.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    For realz.

The fallout from the subscription's performance was the 800 lb. gorilla in the room. It could have been seen as one attack on cherry pickers after another in a very short time.

Some fans took Toyguru's "buy the sub" messages badly and then took it as if they were being punished for being cherry pickers when he revealed that because people didn't buy the sub, that we aren't getting Castle Grayskull and other SKUs, non-sub prices might go up, Shadow Weaver will be the lowest produced figure yet and there's the fear that the cut back in production means that MOTUC goes back to 10 minute sellouts.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr Sagitar Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn 200X Prince Adam 200X Sorceress Ninjor Tung Lashor Sssqueeze Angella Perfuma Mermista Evilseed (MYP)

Hover Robots in MOTUC! RockinHard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slave2Evil_Lyn View Post
    I was just reading the Ask Matty board, someone asked if the could post a release schedule, here's TG reply.

ToyGuru QUOTE
    "One of the issues with doing this is things change all the time. Due to fan requests we are looking into moving BG Evil Lyn to December, however it also looks like the Windraider may slip out to Nov or Dec as well.

With things a bit in flux, it is hard to publish a firm list. But we will see what we can do!"

I'm all for Evil Lyn moving to DEC to save money in NOV with BP She-ra and Swifty and the JLU 7 pack. But moving the Windraider to NOV would be worse then just leaving EL in NOV.
    Yes, I agree.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Skeletor's Robot Knights 2) Stridor 3) Night Stalker 4) Tung Lashor 5) Squeeeze 6) Lizard Man 7) Roton 8) Multi-Bot 9) Ninjor 10) Dragstor 11) Saurod 12) Blast-Attak 13) Karg 14) Gwildor 15) Lodar 16) Mask of Power Demons 17) TC Skeletor 18) FF He-Man