Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyguru Mattycollector.com MOTUC news thread August 2011

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    I never post on Matty's forums and really only look at it for ToyGuru's Q&A's, so I am not aware of how strict the mods are. They really told you to stop talking about a style of toy? I don't think they would even do that on this site and it can get pretty P.C. around here.
    Yes. I'm still quite unhappy about it, which is why I basically only "Ask Matty" over there and read threads. I very rarely post.

I'm not expecting all future MOTUC toys to look like they walked out of a Filmation cartoon, but Mattel actually sought out the rights to Filmation rather than trying to pretend that style never existed. I definitely don't think it's going to be the new "hyper anime detail".
    They say they won't be doing either of these styles. They only catch phrase about Filmation that hasn't been said yet is "this style has been retired."
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I'm not expecting all future MOTUC toys to look like they walked out of a Filmation cartoon, but Mattel actually sought out the rights to Filmation rather than trying to pretend that style never existed. I definitely don't think it's going to be the new "hyper anime detail".
    I think it will be.

I think Mattel wanted Filmation for 10 or so really big characters, (one of which is more popular than Ram Man, the oldest character that hasn't been made) not the character variants which they could already make since they own the characters.

It's like Hasbro wanting the Sunbow Rights to make Pythona and Big Lob, instead of show accurate versions of Snake Eyes, Roadblock and Lady Jaye.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I think it will be.

I think Mattel wanted Filmation for 10 or so really big characters, (one of which is more popular than Ram Man, the oldest character that hasn't been made) not the character variants which they could already make since they own the characters.

It's like Hasbro wanting the Sunbow Rights to make Pythona and Big Lob, instead of show accurate versions of Snake Eyes, Roadblock and Lady Jaye.
    We already have more Filmation style toys than MYP. Maybe I'll find out that I'm wrong, but I really don't think Filmation is going to be the family member Mattel doesn't like to talk about.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

We already have more Filmation style toys than MYP. Maybe I'll find out that I'm wrong, but I really don't think Filmation is going to be the family member Mattel doesn't like to talk about.
    I agree. I don't think Filmation variants of characters are the powder keg that 200X/MYP variants of characters are. Since Toyguru said that those variants are confined to repaints, it isn't the message that launched a thousand posts and editorials like "No 200X heads".

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru
    Most of the bio (like almost all bios) is based on vintage licensor kit material.
    What? It seems like most bios are based on MYP storylines(both used & unused) or things made up by the bio writers.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

What? It seems like most bios are based on MYP storylines(both used & unused) or things made up by the bio writers.
    Although MYP canon makes up the basic framework, but there have been things from various MOTU canons: licensor kits (She-Ra and her strength issue, Bow liking She-Ra), UK (Snout Spout, Trap Jaw and Webstor), mini-comics (Demo-Man's bio, Teela being clone, Tri-Klops as a bounty hunter) and Filmation (Queen Marlena).

There are new elements too, like Tytus building Grayskull or Evil-Lyn's secret marriage to Keldor and resulting Skele-Baby.

As for the Star Sisters, we won't have any sneak previews of that bio! Grayskull museum's POP Licensing Index doesn't have a Star Sister's entry.

http://www.grayskullmuseum.com/pop/l...ngpopindex.htm
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; August 14, 2011 at 04:49pm.

As for the Star Sisters, we won't have any sneak previews of that bio! Grayskull museum's POP Licensing Index doesn't have a Star Sister's entry.

http://www.grayskullmuseum.com/pop/l...ngpopindex.htm
    That's because the Star Sisters were never in a licensing kit. I have no idea what was being referred to there. We only got information on them via the PoP Magazines and the Italian catalogue.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    That's because the Star Sisters were never in a licensing kit. I have no idea what was being referred to there. We only got information on them via the PoP Magazines and the Italian catalogue.
    That's true. I've never seen a licensing kit image for them. It's doubtful anything exists for the Star Sisters. (though I could be wrong)

The only things I've seen them in are: Cartoon, Spring 1987 POP Magazine, Summer 1987 MOTU Magazine (referenced), Italian Magic Girl Magazine (Jewelstar figure is excluded), Mattel 1987 Catalog (American & Italian) and the sheet featuring the B & W artwork.

My guess is they will just repeat most of the story from the poster in the Spring 1987 POP Magazine.

Is it just me, or did TG completely miss the point of this guys question?

He's asking about multi-packs of little characters instead of pack-ins, like they have been. He doesn't ask about a separate toyline! Also, Orko IS in animated style!

I forsee "animated style" being the new "hyper anime detail."
    That's actually my question. I asked because I don't want to see Trollans trotted out as SDCC exclusives every year and two, because I HATE the Orko we have now and wanted some hope of a variant down the road.

Heroic Warrior
    There is at least an answer that was very clear.

As far as Filmation characters are concerned, we won't see Filmation He-Man, Teela, Beast Man, Man-at-Arms, Mer-Man etc.

But we'll probably get the unique, never-made-before popular Filmation characters (examples : Scorpia, Octavia, Batros, Sea Hawk, Kittrina, Shokoti, Lord Masque, Madam Razz and Broom etc.).

This is an answer that pleases me. And I'm very happy we'll get some of the characters many of us always wanted from the cartoon, and that were never made into an action figure yet.
    Last edited by Prahvus; August 14, 2011 at 07:56pm.

SNUGGIE TEELA MAY HAPPEN!!
    On the Trollan question... Point was missed big time...
    Two packs of Trollans in MOTUC style... Not Filmation style Trollans...
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Quote Originally Posted by Memnoch View Post
    That's actually my question. I asked because I don't want to see Trollans trotted out as SDCC exclusives every year and two, because I HATE the Orko we have now and wanted some hope of a variant down the road.
    I would personally LOVE a 3 pack of mini characters like Mattel did with the Green Lantern Squirrel, Red Lantern Cat and Yellow Lantern...virus, I think it is. That would be a great way to get them. I mean, there are 3 main Twiggets (Spiritina, Spragg, Sprocker), 3 main Konseals (Loo-Kee, La-See and the old man), 3 owls (Kowl, Kowla, Red Eye), 3 main Widgets (Laura, Squonge and that other guy ), 3 main Trollans (Uncle Montork, Dree-Elle, Yukkers).

Now, there are many other little guys I'd want, but I think these are good examples. Three packs would be the way to do them best, iin my opinion!

P.S. Why don't you like the Orko we got? I LOVE the Orko we got. The only thing that could have made him better is if he was a tiny bit smaller, but he's amazing as-is...and making him smaller may have made him too fragile...so...he might be perfect (to me). Did you want him to be more 200X?

More 200X yep. I mean I get why they did Orko they way they did, classic update on the toy, but the redesign on Orko made sense, was done well, and made him seem less bumbling. Why would a great magic user have an O on his clothes? It makes his character seem cheap. Size wise he is perfect, but sculpt wise I would have refined the hands and made them less round, if not sculpt him closer to 200X Orko, paint him that way, and then release him. If I ever have the money I may just commission a custom Orko in this way.

I do want more Trollans. I really want the the High Muck-Muck and the Muckess.

That's because the Star Sisters were never in a licensing kit. I have no idea what was being referred to there.
    Not entirely wrong, but not entirely true either
    The list of available artwork in the Style Guide does indeed include a Black and White illustration for the Star Sister. (the listing page isn't on Grayskull Museum)
    However, it isn't clear if the illustration was printed as a page of the styleguide or just as a film give to lincesors; just because all the copies we've seen of the Style Guide don't include that page. But it may have not resurfaced yet.

It's logic to assume the black and white art is the base for the color rendering appeared in the poster, as the artist and coloring style match perfectly.

Hover Robots in MOTUC! RockinHard's Avatar
    TG just answered a bunch more questions, including mine on more NA figures in the line.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Skeletor's Robot Knights 2) Stridor 3) Night Stalker 4) Tung Lashor 5) Squeeeze 6) Lizard Man 7) Battle Ram (back-half!) 8) Roton 9) Multi-Bot 10) Ninjor 11) Dragstor 12) Saurod 13) Blast-Attak 14) Karg 15) Gwildor 16) Lodar 17) Mask of Power Demons

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The list of available artwork in the Style Guide does indeed include a Black and White illustration for the Star Sister. (the listing page isn't on Grayskull Museum)
    However, it isn't clear if the illustration was printed as a page of the styleguide or just as a film give to lincesors; just because all the copies we've seen of the Style Guide don't include that page. But it may have not resurfaced yet.

It's logic to assume the black and white art is the base for the color rendering appeared in the poster, as the artist and coloring style match perfectly.
    Oh, interesting. I think I've seen that picture a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    TG just answered a bunch more questions, including mine on more NA figures in the line.
    I enjoyed that answer.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    And I've just added them!

Decided to see if Scott was in a clarifying mood, and posted a more concise question. "Are Trollan two packs something we may see in MOTUC? Might a variant Orko, closer to a classic-ized 200X look, be in one of these packs?" $20 says he will respond "The 200X look is retired in favor of a Classics look."

Toyguru is an animal tonight...even more questions are up!

Kev-E-Faces, that's an awesome TP He-Man!

Wait...Kevin Sharpe is a comic book creator?!!!! And he wants to draw MOTU comics?!!
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; August 14, 2011 at 11:06pm.

I hold Scott to his NA answer, hopefully by December 2012 I am still not looking at just Optikk and Flipshot
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

I think it will be.

I don't think it will be, mostly because I don't WANT it to be! But also because, like Mr. Shakoti said, they just went to a good deal of trouble to get the rights to these characters and looks, so to go with your Sunbow example, sure, characters like Shadow Weaver and Lizard Man may be more of a priority, but since they paid for access to the Filmation looks of He-Man and Mer-Man, why not make them as well, especially since they could either JUST do a head or a head and a couple accessories for a whole new figure?

I'm hoping Scott is still on a tear tonight because I just posted asking why not have Filmation heads on Quarterly Variants? I think that would be a great way to spice them up, and while I think they're probably out of Classics Mer-Man variants, I think putting a Filmation head on him would TOTALLY justify making him a quarterly variant. But of course I think that design is WAY cooler than either the original toy or cardback, and the only one that really evokes any kind of fishy feelings (that...that did not come out right).
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

It is rumored that Mattel has had the rights all along to make Filmation accurate:

He-Man, She-Ra, Adora, Adam, Orko, Skeletor, and Hordak

They may have held the license for those characters...

This was discovered last year when the people who produced the Euro She-Ra calendar wanted the rights and had to get them from Mattel, not Classic Media... Mattel held the license for the essential characters.

-----------

anyway, I love when Scott gives out answers/comments... it's fun!
    Last edited by bcrduke; August 15, 2011 at 01:39am.
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Sweet Bee, Arrow, Spinnerella, NA She-Ra, Mermista, Gwildor, Hover-Bots, Tung Lasher, Angella, Ninjor, Huntara, Oo-Larr, Lizard Man, Sssqueeze, Peekablue... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    It is rumored that Mattel has had the rights all along to make Filmation accurate...
    Rumoured? TG said himself in Pixel Dan's SDCC video (when going into the cabinet for Swiftwind) that they'd belatedly discovered they could have done Filmation versions of ANY character owned by Mattel all along!

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post

Oh cool. By chance do you happen to have this illustration to share? I'm not sure I've ever seen this before, or perhaps I have but it's been so long that I cannot recall at the moment.