Thread: Filmation soundtrack (BGM) rip possible?

Filmation soundtrack (BGM) rip possible?

I recently discovered that a G1 Transformers fan team managed to entirely rip the background music from segments of the DVD releases.

Wouldn't such a project be possible with Filmation's shows? Cutting, pasting, merging and normalizing tiny audio segments sounds like a pain to me, but since it has been done with one show, why not also with He-Man?

Before some company decides to officially release an album, this would really make some fans happy... plus, it would be only segments from the already available DVDs, not a leak of any short.
    Last edited by Dr_SLUMP; August 6, 2011 at 02:44pm. Reason: Removed TF link just in case...

Problem is that there's not even one MOTU DVD release with 5.1 audio.
    Without that type of audio, it's basically impossible to extract the music.

I understand, but were the Transformers released in 5.1?

From what I read on another forum, the project was made by cutting and pasting segments of voiceless/sfx-free audio instead of just removing the central (voice) channel.

Something like that sounds quite possible with He-Man, She-Ra and virtually any show with enough episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by dr_slump View Post
    I understand, but were the Transformers released in 5.1?

From what I read on another forum, the project was made by cutting and pasting segments of voiceless/sfx-free audio instead of just removing the central (voice) channel.

Something like that sounds quite possible with He-Man, She-Ra and virtually any show with enough episodes.
    Yes. The Rhino and Spanish DVD releases had 5.1 audio.

Originally. 5.1 tracks opened the door for a much better quality result.

Yeah, but it would be a nightmare to tie up tiny pieces together (plus, there's no guarantee that any theme could be completed that way at all). It's much easier and better when there's a voiceless track.

So isn't there any 5.1 version at all, worldwide? Not even the SotS or PoP CS?

A segment reconstruction would be a complete editing chaos, a sound engineer's worst nightmare but still not impossible IMO.

I wish I could give it a try but I don't have enough free time and this project could take ages if not done by a dedicated team. :/

Edit: This guy seems to have used the montage method for a ThunderCats track, not a bad result though the sound effects are a bit annoying (and probably he was sane enough not to search for completely clean "fragments" ).
    Last edited by Dr_SLUMP; August 7, 2011 at 07:48am.