Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Q&A on MOTUC mini comics

Q&A on MOTUC mini comics

Now that the final two issues are out, I'm happy to do a Q&A to hit any questions (I'm a big fan of when creators do this on comic book.com etc... right after new issues ship).

Axel, Nate, if you want to add or join please do so.

I'd just ask that this thread be for questions and answers only. If you want to discuss the comics or the answers have that in the discussion thread. Thanks Mods for help regulating that.

With that, anything left I can shed light on?

1.) How old is Dare when he uses the power sword?
    2.) What was your rationale behind having the Temple of Power and Castle Grayskull look so much alike? Did the mystic stone that Grayskull was carved from come from Trolla?
    3.) Why wasn't Zodak seen more in the last battleground?

Quote Originally Posted by Oceanwalker View Post
    1.) How old is Dare when he uses the power sword?

2.) What was your rationale behind having the Temple of Power and Castle Grayskull look so much alike? Did the mystic stone that Grayskull was carved from come from trolla?

3.) Why wasn't Zodak seen more in the last battleground?
    1: 16, same as Prince Adam in 200X.

2: the design of the Castle was inspired by the symbol on He-Ro's cape as a way to honor him (per mini comic 3). The stone was enchanted and by Eldor (as seen in he background of issues 7 and 8 on Eldor's design board).

3: He and Battlecat were busy
    Last edited by Toyguru; December 19, 2015 at 10:38am.

What happened to the sword of protection when despara reverted to She-Ra after touching the sword of power?
    Last edited by Angel-T; December 19, 2015 at 10:47am.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    What happened to the sword of protection when despara reverted to She-Ra after touching the sword of power?
    She-Ra has. See mini comic 8. She is using it in the Third Ultimate Battleground.

Since we are on She-Ra - who took over the Horde when she lost her Despara persona? Shouldn't she still have remained in power?

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    If its alright, I'd like to ask questions from any MOTUC minicomic, since the thread title didn't specify which issues.

Origin of Skeletor minicomic

1. Who was the older man in "Origin of Skeletor" minicomic possessed by?
    2. How did Randor's mother die, it wasn't shown in the comic.
    3. Did you ever create a name for Randor's and Keldor's mother for the MOTUC canon?

Fall of Eternia
    4. I can somehow see the DC inspired helmet/head for Skeletor, but curious why one of his arm was glowing?

Issue 7
    5. What is the story behind that petrified looking Moss Man in Eldor's hut?
    He-Man & She-Ra fan and contributor to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Oceanwalker View Post
    Since we are on She-Ra - who took over the Horde when she lost her Despara persona? Shouldn't she still have remained in power?

Despara was captured and forced to fight in the area for years. After escaping she hunted for He-Man independently. The Horde was long dissolved at that point after the "death" of Horde Prime. But that itsn't to say their couldn't be a comeback as seen in issues 7 and 8. Can't keep a good evil intergalactic empire down.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    If its alright, I'd like to ask questions from any MOTUC minicomic, since the thread title didn't specify which issues.

Origin of Skeletor minicomic

1. Who was the older man in "Origin of Skeletor" minicomic possessed by?

A: see the cover for a clue.

2. How did Randor's mother die, it wasn't shown in the comic.

A: Keldor stabbed her. But was it on purpose?

3. Did you ever create a name for Randor's and Keldor's mother for the MOTUC canon?

A: yes but I would need to find the script to confirm. I think it was queen Elena or something similar. I thought this was ou there/discussed. Maybe someone can find.

Fall of Eternia
    4. I can somehow see the DC inspired helmet/head for Skeletor, but curious why one of his arm was glowing?

A: Gabe Delorre designed this look and I'd have to ask him what the inspiration was.

Issue 7
    5. What is the story behind that petrified looking Moss Man in Eldor's hut?

A: moss man had been turned to stone by Snake Face and Eldor was healing him.
    Answers noted above

Thanks For Doing This Scott !

What happened to Battle Cat & Swift Wind after He-Man & She-Ra left to Primus (New Adventures) ?
    Matty Has Been Matted For 2017 !

Now I Seriously Hope Super 7 Makes Me Feel I Am In Heaven !!

Chicago, Illinois (but my heart will always be in the UK)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post

A: yes but I would need to find the script to confirm. I think it was queen Elena or something similar. I thought this was ou there/discussed. Maybe someone can find.

Answers noted above
    I would love to know this myself--if anyone can confirm, that would be greatly appreciated!

Scott, what was the deal with the Great Black Wizard (i.e., backstory)? He seemed to be present in the past, present, and future.
    Dark Legacies
    MVC Comics - Collected Info About the Comics

Facebook

To the Powers that Be: Give me a proper King Miro figure, please!!

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    You asked for it.

1.) Who assassinated Zodac? He is an extremely powerful being, so how did they do it and why?

2.) Can you explain the Trollan Temple of Power and the Star Tree in relation to Castle Grayskull and the Star Seed?

3.) In the bios we see wording to the effect of: "what Skeletor thought was his dying breath" and other phrasing that implies Skeletor did not truly die. Is there more to it than the zombie Skeletor stuff in issue 6? I'm pretty confused by the zombie Skeletor material. I know you said this was a dictate from Mattel to use the DC look for Skeletor. So is that how Skeletor goes out for the final time? Or does he return as the sentient Skeletor we know?

4.) Is there any significance to the sarcophagus seen outside of Lady Slither's temple? If so, what's that all about?

5.) Is the Horde Witch from Preternian times who predates Shadow Weaver actually the concept witch from my avatar?

6.) Are the Trollans symbolic of the MOTU fanbase in the MOTUC mythology? I.e. The Trollans harnessed the aura of the gods and were responbsible for protecting the Power kind of like the fans kept MOTU alive when Mattel had abandoned the property in the 90s.
    Maybe too deep? lol. It's the English prof in me.
    Last edited by Penny Dreadful; December 19, 2015 at 01:18pm.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Totally Dyslexic
    Okay letīs play

1. Sorceress/Queen Teela never got a proper outfit just a cloak/nuns which always looks like a temporary thing. Why hasīt she got a proper redesign like King He-Man?
    *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Lizorr *Zilora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Pebb-Liss(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

Are both He-Ro's the same person? (He-Ro of the past seam to know too much of He-Ro II of the future)

Quote Originally Posted by TUC138 View Post
    Thanks For Doing This Scott !

What happened to Battle Cat & Swift Wind after He-Man & She-Ra left to Primus (New Adventures) ?
    A straight carry forward of the vintage story where the mounts were not part of NA. They were in Eternia doing mount stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Telkan2 View Post
    I would love to know this myself--if anyone can confirm, that would be greatly appreciated!

Scott, what was the deal with the Great Black Wizard (i.e., backstory)? He seemed to be present in the past, present, and future.
    Yes he is very powerful. It will be up the Mattel to continue his future storyline. Glad he has been popular!

Why does the Great Black Wizard look like skeletor having a skull face and blue skin in some of his drawings? even in one of Axel's rendurings (not the comics) he had skeletors filmation bone sword
    Collectors Choice most Wanted Characacters:

Hunga The Harpy, Kittrina, Melaktha, Stridor, Sagitar, General Tateran, Kothos, 200x Sorceress.

Club Grayskull Filmation most Wanted Characacters:

Grizzlor, Leech, Mantenna, Horde Trooper, She-Ra, Prince Adam, Stratos, Modulok, Multibot, Ram-Man, Whiplash, Webstor

Q. It was cool to see Tug O'War but his dialogue was so clunky. "My work here is done. You shall never see me again." Did that need to be stated? (For the record, I'd fully support him as a figure!)

Q. Spector/Illumina. Who was that for?

Q. He-Man and She-Ra were already in the 3rd ultimate battle ground. Why did their past selves also show up when He-Ro II cast the "Heroes call"? Did they fight side by side with their past/future selves?

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    You asked for it.

1.) Who assassinated Zodac? He is an extremely powerful being, so how did they do it and why?

That story has yet to be told. Not every detail was worked out. Zodac was removed to make way for Strobo and to create drama and excitement. His death/assasination was intended to be a cosmic mystery and strobo gets sent in the investigate. I imagined it would be a key two part episode had 200x continued.

2.) Can you explain the Trollan Temple of Power and the Star Tree in relation to Castle Grayskull and the Star Seed?

The Star Tree was grown from the liquid energies sapping off of the Power of the Universe after the Trollan's captured it (see issue 7). The seed was the seed of the tree and the guardian of magic knowing the tree would one day die and a new one would need to be grown. It was hidden in Eternia to protect it's importance to the Universe. The Trollan Temple was built to protect it much as Grayskull was built to protect the Orb of Power (which was the raw Power of the Universe extracted from He-Ro's sword.)

3.) In the bios we see wording to the effect of: "what Skeletor thought was his dying breath" and other phrasing that implies Skeletor did not truly die. Is there more to it than the zombie Skeletor stuff in issue 6? I'm pretty confused by the zombie Skeletor material. I know you said this was a dictate from Mattel to use the DC look for Skeletor. So is that how Skeletor goes out for the final time? Or does he return as the sentient Skeletor we know?

A: As seen in issue 6 and 8, with Demo-Man no longer combined with Keldor, the being "Skeletor" was dead. But Keldor was first resurrected by Despara, having connected with the Star Tree and absorbed it's energy/preserved his essence in his bones. Eventually he is healed and Keldor's magical essence becomes a key villain in the SOHM era.

4.) Is there any significance to the sarcophagus seen outside of Lady Slither's temple? If so, what's that all about?

A: It was meant to be a toy feature for the playset with a pop out snake trap when opened. The whole temple was designed as if it was a never made 80's era playset.

5.) Is the Horde Witch from Preternian times who predates Shadow Weaver actually the concept witch from my avatar?

A: Yes.

6.) Are the Trollans symbolic of the MOTU fanbase in the MOTUC mythology? I.e. The Trollans harnessed the aura of the gods and were responbsible for protecting the Power kind of like the fans kept MOTU alive when Mattel had abandoned the property in the 90s.
    Maybe too deep? lol. It's the English prof in me.

A: No not in the least as an intent. But living proof that artist intent vs. reader's interpretation are both valid in the contract of artistic work.

Answers above. And going forward, just for simplicity, lets do one question per post, but as many posts as you want.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    Okay letīs play

1. Sorceress/Queen Teela never got a proper outfit just a cloak/nuns which always looks like a temporary thing. Why hasīt she got a proper redesign like King He-Man?
    Her Sorceress inspired cloak and bikini battle armor is her new outfit. It was just colored wrong in issue 8. But no reason a "queen Teela" look couldn't be designed and made. Make it happen Mattel!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by He-bro View Post
    Are both He-Ro's the same person? (He-Ro of the past seam to know too much of He-Ro II of the future)
    No. See He-Ro II's bio and mini comic 7 and 8.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mjw41 View Post
    Why does the Great Black Wizard look like skeletor having a skull face and blue skin in some of his drawings? even in one of Axel's rendurings (not the comics) he had skeletors filmation bone sword
    Based on how Wellington designed him. Scareglow also has a skull face. In fact, as a gag, Axel deliberately put all the "skull faced" characters close to each other in his spread layout.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Oz-Scott View Post
    Q. It was cool to see Tug O'War but his dialogue was so clunky. "My work here is done. You shall never see me again." Did that need to be stated? (For the record, I'd fully support him as a figure!)

A: It was a reference to the way he showed up in the vintage comic and never seen again.

Q. Spector/Illumina. Who was that for?

A: To remove Spector from PreEternia and make it Dare's adventure. Illumina was promised "to strike" in the issue 6 closing box and we needed to find a way to use her in the story and have her strike someone. (And Spector needed striking).

Since she has zero published story, and the only reference was an image of her and a cat from a pin up/cover for a comic that was never made. So that was all we had as the jumping off point. Include her and the cat.

Q. He-Man and She-Ra were already in the 3rd ultimate battle ground. Why did their past selves also show up when He-Ro II cast the "Heroes call"? Did they fight side by side with their past/future selves?

A: Extra back up
    See above and going forward one question per post please
    Last edited by Toyguru; December 19, 2015 at 03:01pm.

Q. Do you have any further info on the origin of the Gar? Such as the story behind their buried spacecraft in Preternia?
    Some remaining, post 2017-Reveals, WANTS:
    Kittrina, Lady Slither, Garth, Master Sebrian, Skeleteen, Kay-La, (comic)Garn, Meliac, Sagitar, Melog, Spirit of Evil, Slime Pit He-Man, Artilla, Drissi, Caz, Grot, Melaktha, Scrollos, Hunga, Rajar, Bubblor, Songster, Red Beast, Zed, NA Sorceress, Staghorn, Col. Blast...and hoping to someday see a Fright Zone with Slime Pit!

Quote Originally Posted by Kreann'ot View Post
    Q. Do you have any further info on the origin of the Gar? Such as the story behind their buried spacecraft in Preternia?
    Yes. See the various maps for all the clues. The maps tell their sad story.

Evil Titan of Industry melmoth666's Avatar
    Q. Why is Grayskull Man still alive after Castle Grayskull has been destroyed?

- - - Updated - - -
    Rambo was a documentary filmed in real time.

What was the devastating loss at the Battle of Fetra IV?

As per your answer above, the man in the crowd in The Secret Origin of Skeletor mini was possessed by the Spirit of Hordak...but is he someone we know, or just a randomly chosen citizen?
    Some remaining, post 2017-Reveals, WANTS:
    Kittrina, Lady Slither, Garth, Master Sebrian, Skeleteen, Kay-La, (comic)Garn, Meliac, Sagitar, Melog, Spirit of Evil, Slime Pit He-Man, Artilla, Drissi, Caz, Grot, Melaktha, Scrollos, Hunga, Rajar, Bubblor, Songster, Red Beast, Zed, NA Sorceress, Staghorn, Col. Blast...and hoping to someday see a Fright Zone with Slime Pit!

Quote Originally Posted by melmoth666 View Post
    Q. Why is Grayskull Man still alive after Castle Grayskull has been destroyed?

- - - Updated - - -
    He's bad ass

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shecky View Post
    What was the devastating loss at the Battle of Fetra IV?
    A huge loss of the GP fleet and many of its members.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kreann'ot View Post
    As per your answer above, the man in the crowd in The Secret Origin of Skeletor mini was possessed by the Spirit of Hordak...but is he someone we know, or just a randomly chosen citizen?
    Just some unlucky guy.

What was the basic premise of the outlines that were uncovered for issues 2 and 3 of the vintage Powers of Grayskull minicomics and how was the storyline changed/adapted for the MOTUC comics?