Thread: 80's Toy Prototype Tallstar for MOTUC!

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar

80's Toy Prototype Tallstar for MOTUC!

Many people have talked about the 80's prototype Star Sisters in MOTUC. Now that the Star Sisters are finally here...they're not quite what most were hoping for. In my opinion, they're still nice, but do not quite hit their marks. That said, I hope we get an 80's prototype colour Tallstar. Her removable pants grow with her! They're spiraled when she's normal height and they go more straight when she's extended.

80's Prototype vs Repaint vs MOTUC Tallstar

Now, if/when they work on a Tallstar variant, there are some pretty cool things Mattel can do to make her different! They can make a NEW pelvis piece that will work for Tallstar and Mermista. They just need to make it so it is capable of plugging into a regular torso. This will allow them to make a NEW waist extension piece and fix the "granny panties" and low hanging hip issues.

They can take it to the NEXT level, and make her like Mr. Fantastic by Toy Biz for the first Fantastic 4 movie. He's assembled/disassembled like MOTUC Tallstar, except he also has extension pieces for BELOW his elbows and ABOVE the knees. I would LOVE to see these two new articulation/extension spots on a Tallstar variant. I took pictures of how he's assembled and comparison pictures with my Battleground Evil-Lyn:

Regular Size:

Extension Pieces:

Fully Extended:

MOTUC Size Comparisons:

Side View Comparison:

Last edited by Darkspecter; January 25, 2012 at 12:19am.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    See I'd be cool with this. I don't want to have to buy the whole damn 3 pak of Star Sisters again for another $60+ tax/shipping, but I'd definitely buy a quarterly variant of Tallstar prototype style. I like the look a lot more and she's the one that really needed it outta the three.

Did they do the poster version so they could cop out on the leg strand things she sports? What are they gonna do when they do Spinnerella?
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

WOW! is all I can say about that Mr. Fantastic, I've never seen the figure with all the extensions assembled. If Mattel decides to do a Tallstar variant I hope they make the neck look better, Mr. Fantastic's neck is scary looking. The neck is my least favorite extension on Tallstar so it might be a neck thing. Darkspecter can you take a photo of Mr. Fantastic without the neck piece?
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

Shera's secret heartthrob oulala's Avatar
    I feel a bit burnt out with the star sisters. Like many, including yourself, Darkspecter, I think that they didn't really turn out as well as they should have. Does it mean I want to buy them all over again? Absolutely not, especially not in a three pack. That's of course only me, and I know they have a lot of fans. I myself grew really fond of Starla who's a great figure. But yeah, I'd rather get core characters of the POP figures (characters I grew up with watching the Filmation cartoon) for the next couple of years before spending more bucks on 'concept art' characters.

Likewise, I'm not really looking forwards to more yellow and green monkeys or weird pre-filmation-pre-mattel-pre-conan He-man, nor am I into crazy 30 anniversary super hero looking characters. It's GREAT that the line has expanded but after learning that the subscriptions were are its lowest, maybe it's time to regroup a little bit and go easy on the 'concept art', and try to release the characters that everyone knows like Glimmer, Frosta or Ram-man!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.

I'd support the release of "Battleground Tallstar" as I believe that would be the best way to get her. One SS Variant is easier than 3.
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    I'd support the release of "Battleground Tallstar" as I believe that would be the best way to get her. One SS Variant is easier than 3.

I'd be down with seconding this movement as I feel she has more potential as a character than Starla or Jewelstar- she also looks much more interesting aesthetically speaking in her prototype costume.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    Did they do the poster version so they could cop out on the leg strand things she sports? What are they gonna do when they do Spinnerella?
    I think they did the poster versions so they could save money. It saved them from making 1 extra extension piece, pants, a back pack, a sash, more unique body parts for Jewelstar and her "folding" ability or a big jeweled rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Slave2Evil_Lyn View Post
    Darkspecter can you take a photo of Mr. Fantastic without the neck piece?
    I can try tomorrow. I'm spent for today. Also, I kind of broke his stomach extension when trying to take it apart. I had it stuck on SO tight, that the plug and a metal wire pulled out of him. :S I *think* I fixed it, but we'll see tomorrow, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by oulala View Post
    I feel a bit burnt out with the star sisters. Like many, including yourself, Darkspecter, I think that they didn't really turn out as well as they should have. Does it mean I want to buy them all over again? Absolutely not, especially not in a three pack. That's of course only me, and I know they have a lot of fans. I myself grew really fond of Starla who's a great figure. But yeah, I'd rather get core characters of the POP figures (characters I grew up with watching the Filmation cartoon) for the next couple of years before spending more bucks on 'concept art' characters.

Likewise, I'm not really looking forwards to more yellow and green monkeys or weird pre-filmation-pre-mattel-pre-conan He-man, nor am I into crazy 30 anniversary super hero looking characters. It's GREAT that the line has expanded but after learning that the subscriptions were are its lowest, maybe it's time to regroup a little bit and go easy on the 'concept art', and try to release the characters that everyone knows like Glimmer, Frosta or Ram-man!
    I understand how you feel. I too, am a bit burnt out on the Star Sisters. I felt it was important to start this support thread with visuals and ideas though, because the topic has been around for quite some time and Mattel asked fans about it. It takes Mattel 1-2 years to work on a figure and get it produced, so if they decide to do an 80's prototype Tallstar in 2013 or 2014, they need to start thinking about her now. If we do get the prototype colours/designs/accessories of ALL the Star Sisters, I 100% support them as individual releases every other year or whatever. I really want them, but I'm in no hurry, as we got these versions at the moment. It's just like Battleground Evil-Lyn (to me). She's not what I wanted, she's still "okay", I still want the 200X bra and skirt, but I can wait. No rush.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

Toy colours Tallstar looks a million times better than toon colours.

That Mr F just looks plain goofy and ugly with the extensions IMO...
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Quote Originally Posted by oICEMANo View Post
    That Mr F just looks plain goofy and ugly with the extensions IMO...
    Well, the beautiful part about Mr. Fantastic's design is that you don't have to use all the extensions. You can mix it up. All regular sized with the super long arm, or keep ONE of the extensions off of the arm to make it long, but not super long, etc.

I LOVE display/play options with action figures. I always thought this Mr. Fantastic action figure was so amazing! I *had* to have him when he came out. It's incredible that he came with 10 extension pieces and was only $9. That's more accessories than the entire MOTUC Star Sister set has at $60.

I'll try to take a couple shots with different combinations tomorrow.

When I get my Star Sisters, I will have to re-do the comparison pictures with a Tallstar figure. LOL @ BG Evil-Lyn being an actual placeholder.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; January 25, 2012 at 03:19am.

yeah, that mr. fantastic I can do without. He looks terrible. It's pretty cool they could do that, I remember that figure. I also remember it pegwarming everywhere I went. Tallstar could use perhaps one more set of extenders, but she looks great as tall as she is for my display. And I dont like using the neck.

Also, I think the set looks perfect, and represents the most common version of the characters colour schemes.

I think specifically Tallstar's colour scheme is much better than the more bland silver one.

Luckily Mattel and I think most of the fans agreed. if they do another of her for people such as yourself, wonderful. But Mattel clearly made the right choice in this matter. Or should I say the Horsemen?

scaly 2014 Subscriber! Dragonblaster's Avatar
    I'd love a Toy color Tallstar. A new waist extension is a must! Missing that kind of part on the actual Tallstar.

But I'm afraid Mattel won't do anything like that - they're way too clumsy/ limited...
    We don't even have an improved "Battleground" Roboto (with correct shoulders, two arm plugs and some new attachments)
    Press down on dragon's head. It will bite off your frickin' fingers !!!

Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    Also, I think the set looks perfect, and represents the most common version of the characters colour schemes.

I think specifically Tallstar's colour scheme is much better than the more bland silver one.

Luckily Mattel and I think most of the fans agreed. if they do another of her for people such as yourself, wonderful. But Mattel clearly made the right choice in this matter. Or should I say the Horsemen?
    I really am glad that everyone has different tastes. We wouldn't have MOTU/PoP at all, if we didn't because it blends so many things together.

When it comes to the Star Sisters though, the most popular versions are the 80's prototype versions. Before they were announced and shown off at SDCC, they were the only versions requested or even talked about by people. ONE person mentioned the Filmation versions. Tallstar and I did some extensive research on this.

Heck, until last year or the year before, most people didn't even know the poster/magazine versions even existed. The picture of the prototypes by CATONE82 has been floating around the internet for YEARS. That's the only way many knew of the Star Sisters (much like MOTU's He-Ro and Eldor or NA's Darius).

In fact, one of the biggest complaints about the MOTUC Star Sisters (besides the price point), is their colour scheme.

Nearly everyone (including those that want all their figures Filmation inspired), wanted the 80's toy prototype colours/designs. It's a whole different discussion how the poster versions were chosen for MOTUC (which has already happened and caused outrage), but that's neither here nor there.

About Mr. Fantastic, the only difference between him and Tallstar is: waist extension piece and the ability to add arm attachments below the elbow and above the knee. I would LOVE Tallstar to have the same options. Heck, even the leg and arm attachments we currently have could possibly work for those parts. They just need to make it so they can attach there.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; January 25, 2012 at 04:51am.

Loving this thread, Darkspecter. Thanks for taking it upon yourself to make it.

Just as a lot of folks are saying the Star Sisters look better in person than in the reviews, the colors on the repainted Tallstar actually look a lot better than what my rather cheap digital camera is able to capture. She shimmers in her own unique way, with the metallic purple and fine glitter dust on her boots/hands/gauntlets, the latter of which isn't really showing up at all in my shots. It's a lot different when you see them side-by-side in person. I guess you kind of have to imagine her with a professional factory paint job, glittery translucent boots/hands/gauntlets and the 4H's magic on the additional pieces.

She's like a "nighttime starlight" version.

Shouldn't this be in the character support and speculation section?

Beast of 1000 Bottles Hordaiquiri's Avatar
    Of course you can count me in for this! "Battleground" Tallstar for 2013! Or 2014! 2015? Sometime before the line ends, please?

The best part of Darkspecter's size comparison pics is BaGEL's "We are not amused" sour expression on her face. It's like she wants to be as far away from Mr. Fantastic as possible.
    Vintage NA for MOTUC!! LET'S GO~~
    MOTUC wants: KAYO, Angella, Perfuma, Peekablue, Darius, Drissi, Sebrian, Crita, Hoove, Mara, Staghorn, Crystoll, Quakke, B.H., Lizzor, Lord Masque, Chef Allen, Sssqueeze, Clawdeen, Granita, Hunga, Kothos, King Ahgo, the Twiggets, Meteorbs
    Great .org transactions: sdilks, Man-E-Toys, bigassbuzz x2, Climan, wolvie3579, air23cnhit, Jestermon

I'd like to get a BG Tallstar. Simple explanation being that she traveled with She-Ra to Eternia to battle The Horde. I do think she should be more than a simple repaint, however, maybe adding those leg extras from the origInal toy.
    Last edited by danielsan52; January 29, 2012 at 12:03am.
    Danielsan

Planet Claire has pink air
    All the trees are red
    No one ever dies there
    No one has a head
    The B-52's

https://www.facebook.com/danielsan52

I'm up for "Battleground Tallstar" too!
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Hey guys! I have a few more pictures to share! Sorry it took a couple days, my internet's been a mess. I also didn't have the time to set up my professional lighting like I used for my last pictures, so the picture quality isn't as good (I had to increase the brightness and contrast). I hope it gives you an idea of the possibilities though. I also did the picture requested by Slave2Evil_Lyn. Fully extended, but without the neck extension.

Different Extension Combinations:

I'm all for buying Star Sisters repaints, but I agree that Tallstar would probably warrant a repaint the most, and Starla the least.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

Thanks for the shows of support. :-)

I'm glad that fans who wanted them finally got them.

That being said...I do not want to see a SS variant take up a POP slot for a figure that hasn't even had the opportunity for release in the MOTUC line.

And I agree...Mr. Fantastic's neck extension...not so fantastic.
    Turn Mermaid Speculation Into Mermaid Support
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=164726
    Where's the fish!!??
    MERMISTA

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos*Major View Post
    That being said...I do not want to see a SS variant take up a POP slot for a figure that hasn't even had the opportunity for release in the MOTUC line.

And I agree...Mr. Fantastic's neck extension...not so fantastic.
    I get what you're saying. This is probably a totally hopeless campaign anyway, so I don't think you have anything to worry about. I'm just super depressed that politics kind of ruined the original campaign where the toy versions were the most popular.

I would also like to thank everyone for the support.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    I'm just super depressed that politics kind of ruined the original campaign where the toy versions were the most popular.
    I agree. We totally got the Smash Blade/Spin Blade Star Sisters first...to put things in a 200X perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    I get what you're saying. This is probably a totally hopeless campaign anyway, so I don't think you have anything to worry about. I'm just super depressed that politics kind of ruined the original campaign where the toy versions were the most popular.
    You've done an AMAZING job with your Tallstar (oopps...I mean Tallstar's Tallstar)! I would totaly have gotten them in the version he did!
    Last edited by Stratos*Major; January 31, 2012 at 09:50pm.
    Turn Mermaid Speculation Into Mermaid Support
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=164726
    Where's the fish!!??
    MERMISTA

Just curious about something.

Would it be possible to do a 2-in-1 mold for Spinnerella and Tallstar's outfits? What do you think of the idea? Basically they could take Spinnerella's skirt design and have it be connected at the ends. When they get around to Spinnerella, they would just have to trim that part off. I know it wouldn't be EXACTLY like what Tallstar had, but it's similar.