Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Comic Conversation with Eric Treadaway Parts 1 and 2

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    While I'd certain prefer to see Filmation-only designs, I accept they're not quite going to be, but that's a different matter from changing the colour of Angella's wings or swapping the collars of her and Glimmer! Everything that's been said suggests they're going to keep to the Filmation designs with toy-based *details* (meaning some embossing, not reengineering or recolouring the whole design to be more toylike ala plenty of examples in that that picture. ET even said they went too far with the detailing on Bow.)
    That's because they 200Xified Bow: stylized, never before seen crown and belt buckle and NA He-Man's bracelets and boots (for starters). If you want to talk about "wrong" designs. MOTUC Bow is a "wrong" design because most of his design is new stuff never before seen.

Also, you're doing it again Reboot. There is no "changing the colour of wings and swapping of collars." Her wings ARE pink, she has no collar. Glimmer has a collar. Those are toy designs. Toy designs, Filmation designs, etc. are all "correct." If you don't like a design, that's totally alright. Everyone has personal tastes. As a person who likes to correct people when they are wrong, you should appreciate it's not factually correct to say a design/colour is "wrong" when it is a classic design. Come on now.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    How is she any different than Keldor?
    Keldor: new boots (2 pieces), head, acid vile, cape = 5 new tools. BG Evil-Lyn = 2.

No matter what example anyone gives (outside of the ToysRUs two packs, Zodak and the Goddess), the regular amount of new tooling pieces is 4 pieces. BG Evil-Lyn has 2.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; August 16, 2011 at 01:32pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    I didn't think you'd missed the outcry over them skimping on his sword tooling, leading to belated backtracking

And it's different because, after the variants were included in the sub, they said things had changed and variants would get the same level of tooling as monthly figures. There's no monthly figure with as little new tooling as BGEL, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Also, you're doing it again Reboot. There is no "changing the colour of wings and swapping of collars." Her wings ARE pink, she has no collar. Glimmer has a collar. Those are toy designs. Toy designs, Filmation designs, etc. are all "correct." If you don't like a design, that's totally alright. Everyone has personal tastes. As a person who likes to correct people when they are wrong, you should appreciate it's not factually correct to say a design/colour is "wrong" when it is a classic design. Come on now.
    What they have now stated is that they'll do Filmation versions with some added "detail" (possibly but not automatically taken from the toys). They did Filmation Swiftwind - with some added, original, details - when they discovered after the vote that they could because they realised that was what the majority wanted.

You've implied that people would be satisfied if they did the versions of Glimmer, Angella, Frosta, etc seen in that picture. I strongly believe you to be wrong in that.
    Last edited by Reboot; August 16, 2011 at 01:41pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodach View Post
    I really dig BG Evil-Lyn and I think the Four Horsemen went with a repaint because it truly fits the style of Classics with the heavy parts reuse. The Faceless One, Chief Carnivus, and Count Marzo weren't exactly direct interpretations of their MYP/200X counterparts so I'm not surprised they produced Evil-Lyn in this manner.
    If the 4H felt like that, I'm surprised that The Faceless one wasn't Evil-Lyn Yellow and Blue and had a Teela design for his costume instead of his MYP design.

Good call. Not every figure is going to have the same amount of new tooling or guaranteed a minimum amount. Mattel probably has a budget for each figure, but more specifically they have a budget for the entire year's worth of figures that they have to balance in order to add newly tooled parts and entirely new figures each year.
    Mattel said that they had the cost of the tunic factored in but they stated that the 4H declined to use it. Supposedly, it's not the budget, but then the 4H didn't go ahead and sculpt a new Teela torso to replace the obsolete torso.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Mattel said that they had the cost of the tunic factored in but they stated that the 4H declined to use it. Supposedly, it's not the budget, but then the 4H didn't go ahead and sculpt a new Teela torso to replace the obsolete torso.
    Was the BPSR buck available? They said that BPSR would be the first figure to use the new buck, and that she was planned very late indeed. It's probable that if they had sculpted a new dress, it would have been for the buck last used for Catra & Marlena.

Keldor: new boots (2 pieces), head, acid vile, cape = 5 new tools. BG Evil-Lyn = 2.

No matter what example anyone gives (outside of the ToysRUs two packs, Zodak and the Goddess), the regular amount of new tooling pieces is 4 pieces. BG Evil-Lyn has 2.
    Okay, I totally forgot about the boots, I'll give you that. lol.
    I'm not counting the acid vial, though
    She's basically the same concept though, new head and cape. He's a repaint of parts that got new boots that were used the next month on Marzo. BG Evil-Lyn got an open hand that was used once, on Catra. They are very similar, which is what I meant. Each has a unique head and cape and not much else going on.
    Don't get me wrong she's no BG Teela, lol. New tooling is always nice, but I think she looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    And it's different because, after the variants were included in the sub, they said things had changed and variants would get the same level of tooling as monthly figures. There's no monthly figure with as little new tooling as BGEL, no?
    Fair point, I forgot that they weren't part of the sub last year.

However reading this interview it seems like BG Lyn is an artistic choice he's happy with. He even said that there should be enough Evil-Lyn's to go around for all fans over the years.
    Last edited by Whiplash7; August 16, 2011 at 03:00pm.

Well, Keldor at least got a unique accessory (3 new parts vs 2 on Evil-Lynn). And this could just be my own imagination but Keldor transforming to Skeletor makes sense that only his body changed. If this is a similar situation with Evil-Lynn, why not just change her skin color and head and leave the dress the same color as the previous release?

And again, if it's just a cost issue, I'm cool. Just say so. Or if it's a "no 200x" issue, fine with that as well. I'm more concerned that there is a misunderstanding on how to offer variants. If future variants are just going to be paint changes and maybe new heads? I'm not going to appreciate that much.
    Last edited by urbanmyth; August 16, 2011 at 02:43pm.

To be fair, those Keldor boots were used again multiple times already. So 1 new head and 1 new acid vile are the only truly unique parts for Keldor. Evil-Lyn still has 2 unique parts, though the cape will probably be reused eventually. In the end, we're going to come back to this being an artistic choice by the Four Horsemen. Some people will like it and some people won't. If enough people want a 200X Evil-Lyn down the road with a new torso/tunic then we're likely to get one.

Evil Lyn is a repaint of Teela. Keldor is essentially a repaint of himself (Skeletor). Big difference. I expect him to look like Skeletor. I don't expect Evil Lyn to be a palette swap of Teela.

BG Evil Lyn is wearing Teela's dress instead of an original outfit. Keldor is almost a repaint of Skeletor, but that's because he is Skeletor. It makes sense for him to be wearing it. He also had new booted feet at the time.

Classics Evil Lyn is basically a Teela rip off with nothing to call her own.
    Last edited by Thrawn29; August 16, 2011 at 02:33pm.

Evil-Lyn IS a repaint of Teela from the neck down, yes...because that's how she was done in the vintage line, and this line is vintage-based. The whole franchise is nothing but repainted parts. Moss Man is Beast Man, everyone wears the same furry diapers, and so forth.

Evil-Lyn IS a repaint of Teela from the neck down, yes...because that's how she was done in the vintage line, and this line is vintage-based. The whole franchise is nothing but repainted parts. Moss Man is Beast Man, everyone wears the same furry diapers, and so forth.
    Then why isn't she yellow and blue like I remember her from the vintage line?

And why isn't she a repaint of Battleground Teela from the neck down if that's how these things work?

Quote Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post

And why isn't she a repaint of Battleground Teela from the neck down if that's how these things work?
    I was talking about the regular Evil-Lyn, or 'classics lyn' in general.

Anyway, I'm done with this. Hate away, I'll enjoy BG Evil-Lyn when she comes. My most anticipated figure of the fall.

Because there isn't a be-all, end-all formula for Classics. This was either a) an artistic choice by the Four Horsemen, b) a budget restriction by Mattel, or c) Mattel's fear of 200X "hyper-anime detail" rearing it's head again.

Evil-Lyn IS a repaint of Teela from the neck down, yes...because that's how she was done in the vintage line,
    Which is why many of us wanted this variant. To fix what we considered a problem and make her more than a simple repaint like she was in the vintage line.

Vintage fans are fine with a yellow Teela repaint. That's okay. They got that back in 2010. This variant was apparently supposed to be the 200x version for those fans who weren't fans of the vintage figure.

I wanted an Evil Lyn that was more than a repaint. I wanted her to get the treatment that an A list character deserves, and get her own outfit.

Not yet another repaint. She's not Faker.
    Last edited by Thrawn29; August 16, 2011 at 07:35pm.

It's gotta be funny to people like MGM how I hate on 200X in Classics all of the time but in a situation like Battleground Evil-Lynn, 200x is the only thing that makes sense so I'm hating against the 200X haters what a twisted toyland we live in.

I'm going to blame Evil-Lyn's lack of new tooling on the Star Sisters

Yeah that's crazy when they are in two different years.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    It's gotta be funny to people like MGM how I hate on 200X in Classics all of the time but in a situation like Battleground Evil-Lynn, 200x is the only thing that makes sense so I'm hating against the 200X haters what a twisted toyland we live in.
    Hey, it's just as ironic that I'd fight for Filmation variants when I'm not a huge Filmation fanboy.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by bribri4u View Post
    Yeah that's crazy when they are in two different years.
    Same fiscal year at Mattel

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    To be fair, those Keldor boots were used again multiple times already. So 1 new head and 1 new acid vile are the only truly unique parts for Keldor. Evil-Lyn still has 2 unique parts, though the cape will probably be reused eventually. In the end, we're going to come back to this being an artistic choice by the Four Horsemen. Some people will like it and some people won't. If enough people want a 200X Evil-Lyn down the road with a new torso/tunic then we're likely to get one.
    The boots have to be counted though! They were made for him. It's just like Catra's claw hand. That was a new piece for Catra and Teela's dress and extra head was new for Teela (even though they have been re-used a lot). The formula for new parts only works in a linear timeline.

Since everyone jumps on the "blame the Star Sisters" train, I'm going to blame the Star Sisters for causing Global Warming! Hurtling through space screwed up the Earth!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah