Thread: Blade Runner 35th anniversary and Blade Runner 2049

Blade Runner 35th anniversary and Blade Runner 2049

Can you believe it's been 35 years since the Sci-fi thriller masterpiece from Ridley Scott has hit the screen? it's me fave movie ever!

I saw this 26 years ago when i was 10 on video and blew my mind as i thought it was amazing and unique even with a emotional speech on "tears in the rain" plus i thought Sean Young with Daryl Hanna and Joanna Cassidy were fine looking in it and Harrison Ford was fantastic. The music score outstanded me and became my fave score ever! i even taped the theatrical cut on VHS that year on a second VCR my family had as i had my own and saw the re-issue Director's cut in theaters when i was 11 and taped the Director's cut on second video from rental tape on a blank tape, i even bought various versions of the soundtrack on CD, the Marvel comic adaptation, books, computer game when i was 16, shirts and poster. Plus in 2000 when i got my DVD player it was my first DVD purchase with Matrix then in 2008 when i bought my blu-ray player it was my first blu-ray purchase and the movie had an impact on me.

I heard good things about this sequel coming this friday as a 35th anniversary film of sorts and should be a worthy sequel with a new talented filmmaker who states he will use practical effects/sets with some miminal CGI.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Heroic Warrior
    When Blade Runner came out in the theater back in '82, I wanted to see this - primarily because of "Han Solo" starring, as well as the cool sci-fi aspect - but wasn't able to due to being a pre-teen, and it being R-rated. I.e., I couldn't go see this in the theater without an adult, and no one was going to take me - LOL. Though, I do remember reading the great Marvel comic book adaptation w/art by the late, great Al Williamson.

So, I didn't see the film until years later on VHS tape. And, I was also blown away by this. Visually stunning, thought-provoking, and with a good moral lesson. The dystopian, heavily urban future Earth was very fully realized, and this remains one of the most interesting futuristic "worlds" I've ever seen in a film - despite the movie being 35 years old this year. It was interesting to see that Roy Batty (Rutger Hauer) wasn't a typical evil villain, but actually much more nuanced. The scene towards the end when he was talking about the "things he'd seen" as a replicant was sublime. I didn't expect to see him save Deckard (Harrison Ford) right before he died; this is definitely one of the most iconic endings in all of cinema.

It's interesting that a film that tanked at the box office on it's initial release gathered such a HUGE following over the years. It just proves that the film - though definitely dated to the '80's to a great extent - is still somewhat timeless.

I did see the movie in the theater when it was re-released back in 2007, not long before the "Special Edition" DVD/Blu-ray came out that December. And, though this was a great experience, this was a "Director's Cut" version that removed the Harrison Ford voice-over - which I strongly preferred. I.e., the original '82 cut of the film is still my preferred version - even though there are 3 versions out there at this point (at least), i.e. the '82, '92, and 2007 versions.

Indeed Man-e-faces and you look forward to the sequel?

Heroic Warrior
    Yes - the Blade Runner 2049 movie looks great (released tomorrow in theaters), but I don't go to movies in theaters anymore, so will wait for the Blu-ray next year.

I hear it's excellent and on par with the original and one of the year's best movies.

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    Blade Runner 2049 was proof that good sci-fi can still be made in Hollywood. It definitely rates as sequel worthy of the original (examples being Aliens and Terminator 2). And after the two atrocious returns to the Alien universe by Ridley Scott, I'm so glad he was only involved as a producer with BR 2049.

It also shows that Hollywood doesn't need to keep pumping out crappy reboots (Star Trek) or complete rehashs of better movies (Star Wars: Episode 7).
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    Blade Runner 2049 was proof that good sci-fi can still be made in Hollywood. It definitely rates as sequel worthy of the original (examples being Aliens and Terminator 2). And after the two atrocious returns to the Alien universe by Ridley Scott, I'm so glad he was only involved as a producer with BR 2049.

It also shows that Hollywood doesn't need to keep pumping out crappy reboots (Star Trek) or complete rehashs of better movies (Star Wars: Episode 7).
    What about the Star Wars prequels? those were medicore yet episode 3 had it's moments but Rouge One was better than episode 7 and the prequel as it delivered the goods you have to admit and on par with the lightning in a bottle trilogy.

Did you also think this was better sequel to an 80s Sci-fi classic than Tron 2? at least BR 2049 captures the same lightning in a bottle as the original.

You glad it's not written by Damon Lindelof? and do you think Fox has screwed up Alien since 3 starting with 3, resurrection, AVP and the alien prequels?

There is some good Sci-fi in recent memory like Arrival or District 9 or Inception.
    Last edited by HarryCanyon; October 7, 2017 at 04:51am.

Just saw it tonight. I thought it was as good as the original but not better (but that's still quite an achievement imo).

Quote Originally Posted by He-Kal View Post
    Just saw it tonight. I thought it was as good as the original but not better (but that's still quite an achievement imo).
    But worthy and strikes the same lightning in a bottle as the original eh?

I thought it was perfectly OK.

Its gorgeous (Roger Deakins is the best), and there is a GREAT movie trapped inside of it, but its way too bloated. I'd love to see what a really good editor could do by trimming an hour out of fit. The 3rd act in particular really let the film down.

Ford and Gosling were excellent, Robin Wright did all she could to overcome major script problems, but Jared Leto did everything he could to kill the film.
    Last edited by BCI Guy; October 8, 2017 at 02:38pm.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    I thought it was perfectly OK.

Its gorgeous (Roger Deakins is the best), and there is a GREAT movie trapped inside of it, but its way too bloated. I'd love to see what a really good editor could do by trimming an hour out of fit. The 3rd act in particular really let the film down.

Ford and Gosling were excellent, Robin Wright did all she could to overcome major script problems, but Jared Leto did everything he could to kill the film.
    What makes Scarface's length different or Lord of the Rings different in terms of length?

I first saw Blade Runner from the director's cut DVD. I later saw the original cut on TV and agreed- the narration was pointless. The plot is pretty basic- 5 artificial humans are dissatisfied with their built-in expiration date, hope to get it undone and can't. They're killing because of it. They're seen as outlaw things to be put down, not helped, but are doing things that, even if they could be helped, may prevent it. It was more about the spirit of a man than the physical makeup that determines what he is. Decker has to deal with falling n love with a woman who is just like them, artificially made programmed to die. Some hint she may ave been too but vague ones.

I'm questionable on a sequel. I haven't seen it, I may even like it, but I also wonder if it was necessary. I know why it was made- Harrison Ford is elderly, someone felt it was likely a case of making it while he's alive or not making it at all. However, I feel the original film is in the same category as movies like Sling Blade or Dark City- did it need a sequel at all? The story was told, anything else is superfluous. But sequels to popular movies is almost guaranteed success and it's easier than creating a new IP which may fail, so even if it makes no plot sense a movie will get a sequel if it did well. Forrest Gump almost got a sequel, but when Hollywood cheated the original author out of royalties(they did creative accounting and claimed the film LOST money!) he refused to license out the book's sequel or anything else of the franchise for a film. But in the end, did we miss a sequel? Probably not. I feel Dark City is a great film that is woefully overlooked, especially to the Matrix movies which were nothing but a cheap ripoff, but I don't feel the movie needed a sequel. The story ended on a positive note and was good enough. Sling Blade, no, I don't feel that needed a sequel. Karl was back in the hospital, he did what he felt he had to do, everyone was moving on from that. I sort of put Blade Runner in the same category- things were going to happen but the story would tell itself without us. I guess someone else felt a need to tell us in the end though and what's done is done.

Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    I first saw Blade Runner from the director's cut DVD. I later saw the original cut on TV and agreed- the narration was pointless. The plot is pretty basic- 5 artificial humans are dissatisfied with their built-in expiration date, hope to get it undone and can't. They're killing because of it. They're seen as outlaw things to be put down, not helped, but are doing things that, even if they could be helped, may prevent it. It was more about the spirit of a man than the physical makeup that determines what he is. Decker has to deal with falling n love with a woman who is just like them, artificially made programmed to die. Some hint she may ave been too but vague ones.

I'm questionable on a sequel. I haven't seen it, I may even like it, but I also wonder if it was necessary. I know why it was made- Harrison Ford is elderly, someone felt it was likely a case of making it while he's alive or not making it at all. However, I feel the original film is in the same category as movies like Sling Blade or Dark City- did it need a sequel at all? The story was told, anything else is superfluous. But sequels to popular movies is almost guaranteed success and it's easier than creating a new IP which may fail, so even if it makes no plot sense a movie will get a sequel if it did well. Forrest Gump almost got a sequel, but when Hollywood cheated the original author out of royalties(they did creative accounting and claimed the film LOST money!) he refused to license out the book's sequel or anything else of the franchise for a film. But in the end, did we miss a sequel? Probably not. I feel Dark City is a great film that is woefully overlooked, especially to the Matrix movies which were nothing but a cheap ripoff, but I don't feel the movie needed a sequel. The story ended on a positive note and was good enough. Sling Blade, no, I don't feel that needed a sequel. Karl was back in the hospital, he did what he felt he had to do, everyone was moving on from that. I sort of put Blade Runner in the same category- things were going to happen but the story would tell itself without us. I guess someone else felt a need to tell us in the end though and what's done is done.
    What about Psycho? that had a surprisingly good sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    What makes Scarface's length different or Lord of the Rings different in terms of length?
    Nowhere did I say movies can't be long.

But more length doesn't automatically make a movie better. I said Blade Runner 2049 was bloated. The good parts are very good, but there is a lot of the movie that could be cut out to make it better. Its unfortunately a very flawed (but for the most part entertaining) movie. I think a 90 minute cut of it (that removed some fat from the story and cast) could've been a classic.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Nowhere did I say movies can't be long.

But more length doesn't automatically make a movie better. I said Blade Runner 2049 was bloated. The good parts are very good, but there is a lot of the movie that could be cut out to make it better. Its unfortunately a very flawed (but for the most part entertaining) movie. I think a 90 minute cut of it (that removed some fat from the story and cast) could've been a classic.
    You mean like make it 125 and make an extended Director's Cut as well? i mean it worked for Lord of the Rings on DVD

You mean like make it 125 and make an extended Director's Cut as well? i mean it worked for Lord of the Rings on DVD
    No. Just make the best movie you can. If it takes 90 minutes, great. If it takes 180, great. Because something works for one thing doesn't mean it works, or is even appropriate for something else.

Not everything needs a 1 to 1 comparison with something else. Its totally ok to judge things on their own merits.

But you think the new movie failed to capture the same lightning in a bottle as the original?

I saw Blade Runner when I was a kid and thought it was boring, I watched it again the other week as I was going to go and see 2049 and still thought it was boring, 2049 however I thought was great.

But you think the new movie failed to capture the same lightning in a bottle as the original?
    Yes. I think the new one is a good movie - at times its excellent, but it has enough problems that I don't think it will ever be considered a classic or a great movie.

It looked and sounded fantastic. Gosling was good. Leto was awful. The story was incredibly insignificant. The third act was terrible.

Do I want a third one? Not really...
    Last edited by BCI Guy; October 25, 2017 at 05:54pm.

The Last House on the Left, Las Vegas, Nevada
    ...I thought BR 2049 was visually interesting, and fit well into the "world" of the original without forcing a ton of "homages" and "callbacks" to the original. Unfortunately, I personally found it to be lacking the philosophical core that makes the original so interesting (and helped it earn its "cult" status!), it just seems to kind of "be there", and intended to set up a potential franchise. Just my personal take on it, and that's coming from someone who saw EVERY cut of the movie, and the "Final Cut" three times, lol!
    ..."Conceived in a Hell Beyond Your Depth of Perception... Designed and Directed by His Red Right Hand."
    ...Seriously looking for a gray Sir Laser-Lot sword from the Final Wars weapon-pack!!

Did anyone got any Armitage III homages in the sequel with the idea of organic humanoid cyborgs who can conceive children with humans? I thought so when i saw the sequel and must thought "Boy i bet the writer must had seen Armitage III and got ideas from that anime".

Yet it's a shame like the original it didn't do well in theaters but is a best selling blu-ray/4K Ultra HD Blu/DVD/download and should earn cult status.