Thread: Alien Covenant Movie

Alien Covenant Movie

Next Alien Covenant shall be Ridley's Scott third Alien Universe movie.
    Here's the trailer:

Please be advised, some images may be disturbing

I've been eager to see something different being done wih Alien mythology since the Kenner action figures line from the 90's, and was very disappointed with Prometheus. Trailer looks too similar to what has been done before, a mix between first Alien, a bit of Aliens and Prometheus.

I wish we may see something like the origin of an Alien Queen, a possible Alien King, an Engineer Alien possesion or something different than a workers crew being slaughtered by an (/a pair of?) Alien.

I hope that Neil Blokamp's take of Alien may be done someday.
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

This movie would be a lot different and there will be no Ellen Ripley in this one.
    German actor Michael Fassbender plays two roles; androids named Walter and David, survivor of the doomed Prometheus expedition.
    Try to reach inside of me, try to drain my energy
    Let me show you just what I'm made of
    Simple curiosity trying to take a bite of me
    Let me show you just what I'm made of now...

Heroic Warrior
    I'm a bit torn. It doesn't seem that new and original... but it also doesn't seem like a straight up Remake of the first. The franchise has spiraled hard and fast. Alien3, Ressurection, AVP, AVP 2, Prometheus.... admittedly I enjoyed Ressurection at the time... but really, they've all failed to capture that magic of the first two, and only serve to disappoint people. Really those were over 30 years ago...

So maybe a 'back to basics' is the right move?? Not a Remake per se... but some familiar beats to reintrodruce the franchise to a new generation... Leave Ripley and her story in the past and start over. Prometheus had originally been advertised like that... but I think it REALLy failed to deliver.

Now with Fassbender playing the androids... I'm curious where in the time line this will be? shortly after Prometheus? or after Ressurection?

I've watched Alien Covenant this past weekend and I came to realize that the correct way to see the Alien franchise is the following: Alien (1979) - Aliens (1986). Period.
    Even with some cool scenes, Alien 3 does not live up to the hype and all Prometheus/Covenant preaching is quite a not so enjoyful prequel/retcon dismissing everything from Cameron's Aliens.
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

For the only nearly unwatchable movie is AvP2.

As far as Alien: Covenant is concerned, I found it disappointing. They seem to establish a potential theme early on but don't follow through with it, and there are parts of the film that really didn't make any sense to me.

It was, indeed, quite bad. First it seemed to be at least a decent gore fest, but the effects got more and more tame as the movie went on. Michael Fassbender is the best thing about it.
    I have seen what others have not seen!

Quote Originally Posted by AT-Man View Post
    It was, indeed, quite bad. First it seemed to be at least a decent gore fest, but the effects got more and more tame as the movie went on. Michael Fassbender is the best thing about it.
    I said to a friend of mine, the Xenomorph was handled as the "Boss Enemy" of the movie and felt exactly like how the T-800 was in Terminator Salvation.
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa

My main issues are the following:

_Neomorphs/Xenomorphs are now a creation of an evil David. No Alien Queen and no further exploration beyond Neomorphs.

_Neomorphs are just a virus for plot laziness of a sudden threat. No metaphor of sexual attack and everything is more gory for no real reason.

_Aliens now don't look to prevail their species but they just kill for the sake of it (or maybe food but it is not clear with Xenomorphs(?). They just attack non sense. This has even been the topic in the special cut of '79 Alien (which I watched at the theater in a special showing prior Covenant

_Why killing all engineers in a single scene and for what purpose? If David was looking to learn to create the perfect living organism, woudln't be much smarter to learn something from them before a betrayal?

_It has the same orphan syndrome as Aliens-Alien 3 when a mayor character is killied off screen. I must admit that it was more shocking in Covenant, but quite disappointing

Also when these people are supposed to be future high level workers, they are plain stupid. Characters act more as Friday 13th teenagers than high level tech engineers, intergalactic pilots or even with military rank

My feedback thread

Yeah I saw it last night, and I have to say it's the first movie I've seen in the past few years that not only do I regret seeing, but in fact right out hated it. I don't need the Alien franchise to be a modern day gorefest, there's away to still do it and have it not be as blatant as it was.

I don't really need them to explain the creation of the aliens, and I think actually showing that they were essentially genetically driven by David took a lot away from it. The original movies were good because they didn't seek to explain it all away, there was just a massive creature in 3 different forms and the queen. No Rhyme or reason beyond their own need to live. The ending itself really bothered me, even though I saw it a mile away, I knew the other guy was infected and it was just a matter of time, as well as the David is really Walter reveal. I know that if they intend on keeping this as a prequel series they can't outright defeat the Xenomorphs, but the fatalistic ending of it, and the reveal of what happened with (I believe her name was) Emily from Prometheus was extremely disappointing and it did upset me. I know that they need to leave it so that Ripley is pretty much the only one who can survive even more than half a seconds worth of contact with the species and surviving.
    But what's the point of even bothering to care about the humans in the movie when even though the two of them survived, they're destined for nothing but suffering until they're killed and David comes up with some macabre way to preserve their bodies to showcase the evolution of the Xenomorphs like he did on the planet?
    Check out me and my friend's blog: Geek Culture