Thread: Vanilla Ice is back in the news!

Asp'r the Contrarian SnakeMenPriest's Avatar

Vanilla Ice is back in the news!

... but not in a way that he'd hoped!

Vanilla Ice arrested on burglary charges in Lantana
    By Kate Jacobson
    Sun Sentinel

Rapper Robert Van Winkle, better known as Vanilla Ice, is on thin ice with the Lantana Police Department.

Van Winkle was arrested on Wednesday on charges of residential burglary. Police said he took furniture, a pool heater, bicycles and various other items from a home in the 100 block of North Atlantic Drive in Lantana.

After posting a $6,000 bond, Van Winkle walked out of the Palm Beach County Jail Wednesday night and told reporters, "This is all a misunderstanding."

"It's sad that good news doesn't travel this fast," Van Winkle said.
    Vanilla Ice displays his awards he won in the rock and rap catagories at the American Music Awards in Los Angeles, Calif., on Jan. 28, 1991.
    Rapper Vanilla Ice, also known as Robert Van Winkle poses for his mugshot after being arrested on burglary charges on February 18, 2015 in Lantana, Florida.

Most people know Rob Van Winkle, aka Vanilla Ice, as the rapper from the 90's and his one hit "Ice Ice Baby." Others know him as a local Wellington resident that performs for charities and local events.

Police think the burglary occurred sometime between December and February.

Lantana Police Chief Sean Scheller said the investigation began after the Department got a call from the owner of the home. The man told officers the home, which is being foreclosed upon, had been cleaned out. Scheller did not say why investigators suspected Van Winkle.

Officers searched a home belonging to Van Winkle — whose biggest hit was "Ice, Ice, Baby" — and discovered the stolen goods inside. They were returned to their rightful owner, police said.

The vacant house is located next to a home that Van Winkle is currently renovating for a reality TV show called "The Vanilla Ice Project." The show airs on DIY Network, a subsidiary of the HGTV network.

Lynn Davis, spokeswoman for DIY Network and HGTV, said the station "has been made aware of the situation and is looking into it further."

Scheller said the home Van Winkle is accused of burglarizing had nothing to do with the show, nor was he allowed to access it for any reason. He said as of Wednesday, police do not have any other suspects in the burglary, though there might be in the future.

"I don't think he worked all by himself," Scheller said.

Wednesday, Scheller said Van Winkle was very polite and cordial, and was working with detectives on the case.

Van Winkle is charged with burglary and grand theft.
    The media was loaded with punny jokes at Vanilla Ice's expense:
    "Heist heist baby", "Ice ice Burglary", "Ice ice Busted", "Ice Ice Arrested"... That's just the top of the iceberg

--SMP
    In Kansas, it is a crime to eat rattlesnake meat in public.
    You are upsetting the blessing of the Snake God. ALL HAIL RATTLOR!!

Check out 2-bad's Original epic: Origins of The SnakeMen!

It's 'Hasta la vista baby!' for the Ice Ice Baby singer himself!
    Try to reach inside of me, try to drain my energy
    Let me show you just what I'm made of
    Simple curiosity trying to take a bite of me
    Let me show you just what I'm made of now...

This isn't the first time he's been in trouble with the legal system, partly because his ex-wife was crazy, partly because Queen took him to court for sampling, though I wonder if this really was just a misunderstanding? Seems to me maybe he thought he was supposed to clear out this house(it was foreclosed upon) for whatever reason. Hey, I don't know, he could be guilty as hell, but it's hard to say. Rich celebrities have never had a problem stealing things before, we've all heard of celebs shoplifting. He apparently did lie to people about putting a down payment on the home even though he intended to buy it. But he's also been highly active in charity work and such.

It's funny how the DIY channel's page for his show calls him a "pop icon" when he hasn't been a musical icon in almost 25 years. If it weren't for real estate he'd be totally broke. He's sort of the icon of white rappers, even though the Beastie Boys predated him and were around a lot longer after he vanished. I guess Eminem replaced him as THE white rapper although truth be told I really dislike Enimen both as a musician and as a person. I think the biggest sign his music career was dead was when Jim Carrey did this

Last edited by diosoth; February 22, 2015 at 01:22pm.

Vanilla Ice displays his awards he won in the rock and rap catagories at the American Music Awards in Los Angeles, Calif., on Jan. 28, 1991.
    He won awards?
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

Icy Icy baby wasn't even his song. Somebody else was performing Ice Ice baby before Vanilla Ice.

Go ninja GO is the real Vanilla Ice.

Heroic Warrior
    Thank you sir. I have to explain to people all the time he wasn't a one hit wonder...or was this his one hit?

Quote Originally Posted by InThe80s View Post
    Icy Icy baby wasn't even his song. Somebody else was performing Ice Ice baby before Vanilla Ice.

Go ninja GO is the real Vanilla Ice.
    http://youtu.be/GFLGRidfFo4

All they have on him is possession and no evidence he did the burgulary himself lol