Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gotham (new Batman TV Series)

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar

Gotham (new Batman TV Series)

Giving this its own thread.
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...icial-synopsis

Here's the official release; I think it's probably assumed the show will get picked up.

I'm cautiously optimistic about it; I think it could be kind of neat - it's just the age of Batman means that we really shouldn't see any of the villains as villains for a long time (It wouldn't make a ton of sense to have Joker running around years before Batman, for example.) If Bruce is 12 at the start of the show, they'd need to go at least six or seven years before we could conceivably see Batman. I'm assuming they're thinking in terms of Smallville; I don't know if the audience will engage, but I'm curious to see how it goes.

Oh - and I LOVE the blimps in the promotional image.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

Could be interesting I guess.

I wonder if they are going to go more for gritty realism like the Nolan films or if they are gonna go more Smallville and actually have super powers? I only wonder this because I am still waiting to see a live action version of Clayface, I could easily see him starting as a drama student or something
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Looks interesting.
    Top Ten MOTUC wants: Sagitar, Great Black Wizard, Fang-or, Dragstor, Peekablue, Skeletor's Skeleton Warriors, Despara, Evil Seed (all era) w/Odiphus, Illumina w/Sleetah, Lady Slither

meh... wansnt a fan of smallville...but i'll give this try
    Man lives in the sunlit world of what he believes to be reality.
    But...there is, unseen by most, an underworld, a place that is just as real,
    but not as brightly lit... a darkside.

I'll at least give it a try. It sounds like it could be interesting.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Sounds interesting, but I fear it may fall prey to the "Young Indiana Jones" syndrome. That show was much anticipated, but, though critically acclaimed, was not what folks expected from an Indy show (it was an historical drama rather than a Saturday matinee cliffhanger). With Smallville, Clark may not have had the suit, but it was still a super-hero show. This sounds a lot more like a crime drama, and Bruce is way to young to be even a little Batman-ny. I like the idea of seeing a part of the mythos that hasn't seen a lot of time on the big or small screen, but I just wonder if a Batman based show without Batman is going to fly well.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Yeah, I'm not sure I'm interested in watching a show about pre-Batman and his pre-villains. I am so tired of origin stories, I just can't get excited for an entire ongoing origins show. Doing a show about Batman and his enemies before any of them had powers, weapons and drivers licenses seems like the worst possible kind of Batman show.

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    I could keep an open mind about this, I guess, but conceptually it sounds terrible. It just sounds like a crime drama with a characters-you-should-already-know-and-care-about crutch.

So, Gotham is coming soon. Arrow is doing pretty well; they are planning to spin off a separate Flash series soon. John Constantine is getting his own show on NBC... That's a lot of DC on TV

Quote Originally Posted by ksensor View Post
    Yeah, I'm not sure I'm interested in watching a show about pre-Batman and his pre-villains. I am so tired of origin stories, I just can't get excited for an entire ongoing origins show. Doing a show about Batman and his enemies before any of them had powers, weapons and drivers licenses seems like the worst possible kind of Batman show.
    I would much prefer they adapt the outstanding comic "Gotham Central". Focus on characters like Gordon, Montoya and Bullock with Batman being only on the periphery.

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    As someone who doesn't like the Nolan films, I'd prefer they do stretch the imagination some, and stick closer to the source. I'm sorry but a guy in runny makeup just isn't the Joker, and I think losing the origin also robs a lot of the dynamic between the two- Batman made Joker. I'm not asking for CGI Clayface, but it'd be nice to have Mr Freeze and a reptilian Killer Croc.

But as someone who sees studios realistically, I know they will follow that route just because it sells now. No film production house wants to do things that are beyond reality, when "realistic" is in. It ruined video games and is ruining creativity in films, which is funny because most of what they do is so unrealistic I wonder why they called it that.

Show starts tonight. Have to admit, I'm pretty excited about it, and everything I've heard so far sounds pretty good. Looking forward to it...

I'm gonna give it a go. It seems dark and cool. But who really knows.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

A batman without batman kind of misses the point a little. I mean, what's the finale going to build up to? A final shot with the bat signal and batman swinging down?

A serious live action batman show has never been tried before. I feel folks would have found that more interesting. without him, it's just another CSI set in gotham.
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

Heroic Warrior
    I liked the show a lot, looking forward to next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    A batman without batman kind of misses the point a little.
    I think you're just not getting the point of the show. It's not a Batman show. It's a Batman Universe show. It's an origin story of Gotham City itself and the events that make Bruce decide to become a crimefighter later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    without him, it's just another CSI set in gotham.

You say that like it's a bad thing. To me a show like this is way more interesting than another Batman show. If I wanna watch a perfect Batman show I'll watch some Timm Batman.

I for one thought the first episode was rather good. It's a pilot so I wasn't expecting perfection. Once we get through 3 or 4 episodes I think the show will fill out.

I liked it a lot - there is a TON of potential here. There's some 'classic' continuity shifting going on (Montoya & Allen being MCU before Gordon joins the force, etc.), as well as the presence of four of the major Batfoes from the onset, but I think it's got the spirit of the story down cold. Can't wait for the next episode!

The kid who plays Bruce is really interesting - he's got that intensity down pat.

Heroic Warrior
    I watched the pilot last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I can't wait to see next week's episode. So far, Bulloch's my favorite character.

I really liked the show. Definitely some room for improvement, but so far so good! I'm looking at it as a multi-verse story so I don't nitpick the various changes they've made to the cannon.
    Biggest MOTUC wants - Filmation Evilseed! Dree-Elle & Yukkers, Dylamug, Hunga the Harpy, Multi-Bot, Dragstor, Vultak, Colonel Blast, Horde Mammoth Man and Admiral Scurvy. Why can't we get a decent Thundercats classics line!!!?

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    I think you're just not getting the point of the show. It's not a Batman show. It's a Batman Universe show. It's an origin story of Gotham City itself and the events that make Bruce decide to become a crimefighter later on.
    But that may be the big problem with the show; it's Jim Gordon, the Series. The last time we had a Bat based show without Batman, it didn't do well (Birds of Prey). Bruce seems to be a supporting character at most here, and that may not be what folks are looking for. It's an interesting approach for the mythos, but there may be a valid argument that it is Law and Order/CSI in Gotham. It's all going to depend on where they take it, but the directions are pretty limited by it being basically a prequel, and most of the characters we've seen already have their futures set.

That said, the first episode was good, not spectacular, but good. Young Selina unknowingly witnessing the birth of her future nemesis was an interesting twist, and Gordon came across quite well. The acting was good across the board, and I agree with other comments that young Bruce has the required intensity for the part. I did think they kind of overdid the introductions, though; giving us the big four of the rogues gallery in the first 20 minutes or so (I'm assuming the shooter was Joker rather than Joe Chill) might be a bit of an overdose all at once. Might have been better to concentrate on introducing them more slowly, spreading the reveals out over the first season.

I'll be watching, as it is a decent crime drama in and of itself. The added Bat stuff gives it another dimension, and I think it all depends on where they go with that. Looks like next week is setting the groundwork for Penguin, so that could be interesting. THere's potential here, but I think it's going to have an uphill struggle.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    It's an interesting approach for the mythos, but there may be a valid argument that it is Law and Order/CSI in Gotham.
    So basically it'll do very well in the ratings, be on the air forever and eventually syndicated to multiple cable stations where it airs 7 days a week?

Not a bad problem to have....

I really really liked it....I just hope it lasts a few years.

Its too soon to judge this new series, but I like everything I've seen so far (tv clips, plots, casting)

I'm still a fan of the 66 batman tv show (and I'm glad fox lost dvd/tv rights in change of a new show) and I'll buy in a heartbeat the complete series in blu ray this fall ) , its just I'm not that interested in Commissioner Gordon, Bullock, Montoya per se; I truly would have liked to see Batman as the main character sorrounded (off course) by penguin, catwoman, riddler, anyway something along the lines of THE BATMAN tv series that aired on CN years ago (that envisioned Bruce in the early years) .

But I understand,WB thinks batman & co will serve better for the big screen in their battle against the succesful avengers's franchise
    "The most powerful man in the universe..."
    "Where hope seems lost..."
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."
    Whats next ?

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    (I'm assuming the shooter was Joker rather than Joe Chill) .
    What makes you say that? I'm just curious, because I haven't heard anything along those lines, and given how derided that decision was from the first Burton movie, I'd have a hard time imagining them duplicating the choice.

Personally, I'd love to see them take the murders in the direction of the Silver/Bronze Age, and introduce the Lew Moxon angle, with Chill being hired for that purpose. Unless they do just go with the 'random act of violence' angle...but from the first episode, I doubt that'll be what they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Thatman View Post
    What makes you say that? I'm just curious, because I haven't heard anything along those lines, and given how derided that decision was from the first Burton movie, I'd have a hard time imagining them duplicating the choice.
    I'd be more inclined to think the kid auditioning as a stand-up would be the future Joker.

Overall I really liked it. I thought it was very interesting how it doesn't have a time frame. Parts of it felt like the 50s, other parts the 70s, but they also had cell phones.

Donal Logue is a favorite of mine, but I thought he really overacted the 1st half of the episode. He did seem to find the character after that and was fantastic by the end.

Please not too many "If I wanted Riddles, I'd read the Sunday comics" types of jokes. Too on the nose.

Huge missed opportunity: At the end when Penguin kills the guy at the water, why not have the guy finishing so Cobblepot could devour a raw fish instead of a sandwich?