Thread: Luke Cage Series On Netflix

Skeletor's Right Hand Man Megalodon's Avatar

Luke Cage Series On Netflix

I've started watching this series so far so good...

Luke Cage
    Misty Knight
    Cottonmouth
    Diamondback
    Shades

Marvel does it again...
    Last edited by Megalodon; September 30, 2016 at 11:26am.

Oh nice, it's out already. Now I know what to binge watch

I snuck in one episode before work this morning. I love it already!

I'm hoping binge watch this all next week

Been binge watching it. Love this series

I really liked it. I wouldn't say I liked Luke as much as Matt or Jessica from their shows, but I liked his show better and loved his supporting cast of actors in their characters. It broke my heart when we lost a certain character. Also I really liked the show's villains. King Pin and Kilgrave were good, but all the big baddies in this were good from Cottonmouth to the other guy whose name I won't spoil. I was not expecting the Shades character to stand out so much either, but he acted like he had an ace up his sleeve that we never got to see him play. I mean this is a world were evil bosses just shoot their underlings for saying the wrong thing, but Shades acted a bit like he was as invulnerable as Luke himself. Whatever his deal, by the end I figured he's more than just an expendable henchman, but I didn't know if a pay off was coming or if he was just really lucky the whole time. I think one version of Shades in the comics ends up with powers like Luke, so I kind of really hope for something like that with this guy. I would have liked more of Ali's Cottonmouth is my only complaint.

The good guys were good too though, there were no false notes for me like Will Simpson in JJ or Foggy in DD (no offense to their fans, I just didn't care for time spent with either of them on the previous shows). I thought I'd dislike Misty Knight but she was held her scenes and I'd probably want to watch a procedural featuring her (well, maybe, I don't love procedurals actually). Claire Temple didn't feel as forced into the action as I was expecting, and it made sense that she became Luke's main supporter while Misty had to balance other issues. Woodard must be loving her character Mariah, and I see now why she had to be different from the character Alfre played in Civil War (although, how delicious it would be if that had actually been Mariah playing a different angle).

One little thing that bugs me, Claire tells Luke that she knows a "really good lawyer," with the expectation that she'll get Matt Murdoch to help Luke, but one of my problems with DD was that it really never let Matt look like a very good lawyer. The second season frankly made him look awful at it, so I'm not sure if Claire meant him or Foggy--but I'd much rather see Matt team up with Luke in court and out of it rather than give any more screen time to Elden Henson.

Finally, my God has Frank Whaley aged. It hurts to look at him and know he was the kid version of Burt Lancaster in Field of Dreams.
    Last edited by gbagok; October 2, 2016 at 08:25pm.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

Just one episode left, and I'm still liking it. Luke makes for an interesting protagonist, since he's more calm and less dynamic that Matt Murdock or Jessica Jones, but I love the various power-plays in Harlem. It's fantastic to see a show where it's not just the location, but also the flavor, history, and attitude of a location being a character as well.

I love Misty Knight, and I'm happy to see the Night Nurse have so much more to do than she did in the other Marvel Netflix shows.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianCBaer View Post
    Just one episode left, and I'm still liking it. Luke makes for an interesting protagonist, since he's more calm and less dynamic that Matt Murdock or Jessica Jones, but I love the various power-plays in Harlem. It's fantastic to see a show where it's not just the location, but also the flavor, history, and attitude of a location being a character as well.

I love Misty Knight, and I'm happy to see the Night Nurse have so much more to do than she did in the other Marvel Netflix shows.
    Don't forget all of the Easter eggs.....

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    Don't forget all of the Easter eggs.....
    Yes! Did you spot Stan Lee's cameo?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianCBaer View Post
    Yes! Did you spot Stan Lee's cameo?
    Yes I almost missed it did you see who he saved in the store?

Yes I almost missed it did you see who he saved in the store?
    Yeah! I loved that.

Wow! very little response to this show...I grew up with so many interests...Oh well...

Here's something cool and:

If you don't get this......

Wow! very little response to this show...I grew up with so many interests...Oh well...
    I'm peeking in here but being careful to avoid spoilers

I'm only on episode 4 but I'm loving it. Have a long time DC fan here at work that's almost done and he enjoyed it even more than the Daredevil series.

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    I'm peeking in here but being careful to avoid spoilers

I'm only on episode 4 but I'm loving it. Have a long time DC fan here at work that's almost done and he enjoyed it even more than the Daredevil series.
    I saw the whole series and if I am going to spoil I'll use this

Being a fan of ALL comics has it's perks when you know more than most people... and it's cool to see the little easter eggs here and there

I saw the whole series and if I am going to spoil I'll use this

Being a fan of ALL comics has it's perks when you know more than most people... and it's cool to see the little easter eggs here and there
    I can honestly say I knew very little about Luke Cage until he became the leader of the Thunderbolts. Even then I didn't know a lot. As a kid, the few things I remember him in always had him wanting to get paid to help (with Iron Fist talking him into it anyways). I like the way they're presenting his character so far.

Heroic Warrior
    I think it's nice Marvel is doing something for adult audiences with this and Daredevil which is quite nice.

Excellent show! and i can't wait for The Punisher next.

Now if they can do Marvel's Howard next, that would be a funny and witty comedy-adventure show that would be like Sunny in Phildelphia meets Deadpool and Roger Rabbit.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    Now if they can do Marvel's Howard next, that would be a funny and witty comedy-adventure show that would be like Sunny in Phildelphia meets Deadpool and Roger Rabbit.
    Oh my god, this sounds perfect.

Heroic Warrior
    Watched Netflix's Luke Cage a while back. Superb series! I was a big fan of DD S1-2 & Jessica Jones, but LC had a completely different feel. I liked the urban tone/vibe to this series, as well as the jazz music & soundtrack.

It definitely had elements of the '70's Shaft & Foxy Brown films (and other movies like them), but much more polished - with an obvious 21st century super-hero element.

Liked the comic references re: LC saying "Sweet Christmas", and seeing him in his original comic outfit (kind of) in the flashback after he escaped from Seagate Prison.

Like the Jessica Jones series, I had very little familiarity with the LC comic character (other than reading some Power Man & Iron Fist issues back in the day), but that didn't affect my enjoyment of the series - I still really liked the story, characters, etc.

I thought Cottonmouth & Diamondback were excellent, three-dimensional characters; the fact that both had tragic childhoods made you almost sorry for them, despite their evil deeds. I found this made them a lot more interesting than a lot of the typical cookie-cutter villains you see in comic book movies.

I felt the fight that LC had with Diamondback in the final episode was excellent; almost epic in scope, and LC was really getting his @$$ handed to him, until he made a come-back. It was like watching a great boxing match. The fact that they had been good friends when they were younger just made the fight more disturbing/poignant.

I thought it was interesting how detective Misty Knight tried to "recreate" a crime scene in her mind (after the fact) re: the pseudo-flashback. It reminded of the way Will Graham would recreate a crime scene in the underrated TV crime drama Hannibal (2013 - 2015), based on the Hannibal Lector novels.

The final scenes were great, all over the great tune "100 days, 100 nights" by the late Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings; I had never heard the tune before, but apparently it's from 2006 - it definitely has an old-skool jazz/rhythm & blues sound.

Quote Originally Posted by man-e-faces View Post
    Watched Netflix's Luke Cage a while back. Superb series! I was a big fan of DD S1-2 & Jessica Jones, but LC had a completely different feel. I liked the urban tone/vibe to this series, as well as the jazz music & soundtrack.

It definitely had elements of the '70's Shaft & Foxy Brown films (and other movies like them), but much more polished - with an obvious 21st century super-hero element.

Liked the comic references re: LC saying "Sweet Christmas", and seeing him in his original comic outfit (kind of) in the flashback after he escaped from Seagate Prison.

Like the Jessica Jones series, I had very little familiarity with the LC comic character (other than reading some Power Man & Iron Fist issues back in the day), but that didn't affect my enjoyment of the series - I still really liked the story, characters, etc.

I thought Cottonmouth & Diamondback were excellent, three-dimensional characters; the fact that both had tragic childhoods made you almost sorry for them, despite their evil deeds. I found this made them a lot more interesting than a lot of the typical cookie-cutter villains you see in comic book movies.

I felt the fight that LC had with Diamondback in the final episode was excellent; almost epic in scope, and LC was really getting his @$$ handed to him, until he made a come-back. It was like watching a great boxing match. The fact that they had been good friends when they were younger just made the fight more disturbing/poignant.

I thought it was interesting how detective Misty Knight tried to "recreate" a crime scene in her mind (after the fact) re: the pseudo-flashback. It reminded of the way Will Graham would recreate a crime scene in the underrated TV crime drama Hannibal (2013 - 2015), based on the Hannibal Lector novels.

The final scenes were great, all over the great tune "100 days, 100 nights" by the late Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings; I had never heard the tune before, but apparently it's from 2006 - it definitely has an old-skool jazz/rhythm & blues sound.
    THank you another one that "get's" it...alot of people watch these and have no clue and just hate....

Heroic Warrior
    Here's a great video of "100 days, 100 nights" by Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings. Note that though it looks old, it's actually from.....2006!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ouI5KcyHfE

THank you another one that "get's" it...alot of people watch these and have no clue and just hate....
    Yes, I really enjoyed the series. I recently started re-watching Jessica Jones, and after that I'll try to re-watch LC as well. Both are great series.

I also really enjoyed Iron Fist, but I don't want to de-rail this thread too much.