Thread: What sequels do you dislike a lot but really enjoyed the original film?

What sequels do you dislike a lot but really enjoyed the original film?

My top ones are The Last Jedi, the Matrix sequels, the Pirates of the Caribbean sequels, and Back to the Future 2.

Heroic Warrior
    Most of them?

I'm kind of hard pressed to think of any series that upheld the awesome quality of the original movie through all the sequels. Even the truly epic shows start to degrade quite a bit by the time they hit part 4, 5 or 6...

My very first thought would be Highlander. That was my favorite movie for decades, and #3 and #4 were 'Okay'. #2 and 5 were utter garbage.

Also Matrix is fairly legendary for jumping the shark and crashing hard with the sequels... Karate Kid 3/4 were pretty bad... Most of the star wars prequels... Indiana jones 4 was bad.. BTTF 2 is the weakest of the 3 for sure, but I don't actively 'dislike it'... Nightmare on elm street #1 was a classic but #3, 7, and 8 were the only watchable ones of that franchise...

Cruel Intentions. The first was great...the sequels...ugh.

Atlantis 2 was pretty bad as well. The first is great but Disney straight to dvd sequels are rarely worth the disk they are printed on....

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    My top ones are The Last Jedi, the Matrix sequels, the Pirates of the Caribbean sequels, and Back to the Future 2.
    I love Back to the Future 2 but do you think 3 was better? Leonard Maltin disliked Back 2 and thought 3 was a better sequel and his fave sequel in the trilogy and as good as the original.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Anything beyond the original Blair Witch Project...
    Editor of DWAS publication Cosmic Masque - www.dwasonline.co.uk

The Lion King, while I like the Romeo-Juliet'ish storyline, I think the sequel artwork are subpar and look kinda like WB B movie animation production. Shame it got on Direct to DVD, I thought the whole thing was hot, shame

NOT QUITE MY TEMPO

I'm not fussed about back to the future 2 but I do like 3, I'm not fussed about empire strikes back but I do like return of the jedi and I don't like oceans 12 but I do like oceans 13.

I didn't like the Matrix sequels, X-Men 3, Batman Forever, Batman and Robin, Superman 3 and 4. But I don't hate any of those sequels even close to the level that I hate Star Wars The Last Jedi.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Son of the Mask and Blade Trinity spring immediately to mind...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

The only one I can really think of is the original TMNT (1990). I enjoyed this film overall but really hated both the sequels.

I can say that I was overall disappointed with The Dark Knight Rises after having really enjoyed The Dark Knight.

All of Highlander sequels and TV series. First Highlander is an awesome movie.

Ghostbusters II, SW: The Last Jedi, Alien: Resurrection, Blade Trinity and TV series, The X-Files: I want to believe (why this was a movie? It was just a mediocre long episode), Spider-Man III, Batman Forever & Batman & Robin, Taken II & III, Darkman II & III and Aliens vs Predators: Requiem
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

Problem Child 1 and 2 are just fantastic.... number 3 however.... YUK... not a fan
    Just when you thought it was safe to take a pee.....- Hard Ticket To Hawaii -

"I like Santa!" Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Blues Brothers 2000

Heroic Warrior
    Cannonball Run II.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

Evil Sorcerer & Commander Zargon's Avatar
    There are so many, but the first that came to mind was The Neverending Story. Been one of my favorite movies since I was a kid, but can't stand the (unnecessary) sequels....
    Top MOTUC wants: Sagitar, Great Black Wizard, Fang-or, Skeletor's Skeleton Warriors, Odiphus, Illumina w/Sleetah, Lady Slither, Tuvar & Baddrah 2-pack

The Mummy (1999), The Matrix, and Batman (1989) were the ones that leap directly to mind. I disliked all of their sequels. (Even the generally well-liked Batman Returns, while visually beautiful, is a bad, bad movie.)

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    I love Back to the Future 2 but do you think 3 was better? Leonard Maltin disliked Back 2 and thought 3 was a better sequel and his fave sequel in the trilogy and as good as the original.
    I liked 3 a lot better than 2, but still thought it was just an average film. I think 1 is in its own class in my opinion.

Batman Forever and Batman and Robin I'll add to the list. I haven't seen the 4th and 5th POTC movies yet, so I suppose they could be good, I just dislike 2 and 3 enough to not give them a shot. Their reviews don't seem good either.

Ghostbusters
    Mummy
    Gone With the Wind (yes there was a sequel made)
    Taken
    Obey the whip! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ak...smiley-039.gif

Smile like you mean it.