Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Official Support for a Filmation He-Man Variant Thread

Official Support for a Filmation He-Man Variant Thread

I REALLY hope the mod's don't merge this because I feel this He-Man variant deserves his own support thread.

This is from today's Ask Matty:
    Q:
    Would Filmation colored MOTUC variants with realistic Filmation heads be out of the question? I'm not talking an animated look like JLU or Young Justice, but a repaint with new parts.

For example, making a He-Man repaint that has Buzz-Off dark skin and in the Filmation colors, but has a Filmation head, Filmation blue harness, blue scabbard on his back, a longer Filmation style sword and a repaint of the regular power sword to those Filmation colors.

A:
    We aren't going to do an animated head on a Classics style body. No sofa beds. To do an animated line we would need to do a full on new line and right now we are putting all of our resources into Classics.

We can of course do straight repaints, the concern is whether fans would except this as a quarterly variant. We are under the impression that including repaints in the sub is frowned upon. (this was the beauty of the TRU 2 packs, it was an awesome vehicle to do repaints!)

What say you?

I just don't get this! I LOVE Classics and I'm not saying they should slap a JLU version of He-Man's head on a Classics body, but they could totally do a hybrid with the Filmation hair and plain look on his face with all the detail and paint apps of Classics.

I'd even be happy if they put a Filmation style head on Thunder Punch He-Man. In fact, I think giving quarterly variants Filmation heads would be a GREAT way to spice them up! I'd buy at least 5 TP He-Man's if they did this whereas now I'll only get the one via my sub.

So, as ToyGuru said, what say you? Would just the head be OK with you like it would with me? Or would you want a FULLY Filmation He-Man with the blue armor that's missing the red squares on the shoulders and a sheath? That would of course be IDEAL, but at the moment I'll settle for the head.

OH, and OF COURSE we need a hand that allows him to hold his Sword aloft! This is JUST as important as anything else, and the fact that the FIRST Thundercats figure can do this when He-Man can't just ain't right!
    Last edited by Mern-Ra; August 12, 2011 at 10:40pm.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Do you guys just want the colors as a variant or a straight up figure like this, with all the good details sanded out?

I'd love a Filmation inspired He-Man: But he'd need to be
    more than a slightly more tanned MOTUC He-Man
    Same MOTUC buck but with TK's left arm.
    NEW hairpiece more like the Filmation hairstyle
    Same Harness (in blue) but with a new back piece for the Sword sheath.
    Also he should come with the white Grappling hook that he pulls out of his crotch in a few episodes...
    NEW Sword Like Adora's but without the Jewel! This last one is VERY important!
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

I am all for some Filmation styled characters like He-Man, Skeletor, Teela, and Man-At-Arms. I can pass on most of the others as they just looked silly.
    View my collection and customs HERE!

Heroic Warrior
    As far as Filmation characters are concerned, I'm ONLY interested in original, unique and non-variants characters. In other words : Batros, Sea Hawk, Imp, Kittrina, Scorpia, Shokoti, Octavia, Lord Masque, Vultak, Fang Man, Icer, Madam Razz with Broom... would all be OK.

Filmation Teela, Beast Man, Mer-Man etc. are not interesting to me. So, personally, I wouldn't be inrerested in a Filmation He-Man.
    Last edited by Prahvus; August 12, 2011 at 10:02pm.

I'm not very interested in a separate Filmation style He-Man. Aside from the head and skin tone, it just strikes me as a less detailed version of what we've got. I think a great way to add some value to a future He-Man variant would be to include an extra Filmation style head to use on the He-Man of your choice.

The skin tone may be a little off, but I think it could work well in the same way that the style-specific Skeletor head packed with Demo-Man does.

Oo-Larr the Jungle He-Man would be a nice Alternative. He's probably getting the Longish hair that Mini comics He-Man had (He-Man meets Ram Man) a "Filmation" extra head would be nice here... instead of the already overused Normal He-Man head... If they make him in the same skin tone as He-Man... you could mix and match to create YOUR he-man
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

if they are going to to do this it has to be right.the sword would be the most important.i say for now they should do the sword in filmation style,and do one of every color thats been released so far and see how the fans take to that first.before redoing whole figures.

Count me in!

I want filmation He-man!
    When it comes to She-ra Princess of Power characters, FILMATION is the way to go!.

Heroic Warrior
    Put me in the "do not want" category as He-Man's Filmation model was nothing more than an over-simplification of the original figure's design which the 4 Horsermen updated really well in my opinion. There is really not enough variation in the Filmation design from the MOTUC figure to warrant a variant figure. I'd prefer Mattel make Classics figures of Filamtion characters that never had figures before instead of wasting resources on variants of figures that (a) have already been released and (b) are nothing more than simplified versions of their toy designs for the sake of saving costs on animation.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    Do you guys just want the colors as a variant or a straight up figure like this, with all the good details sanded out?
    I'd want the right colors but with all the Classics details left intact (and of course a new head/hand). I only think they should do a figure like that if they did a Filmation only line, similar to the JLU line.

Quote Originally Posted by AximusPrime View Post
    Put me in the "do not want" category as He-Man's Filmation model was nothing more than an over-simplification of the original figure's design which the 4 Horsermen updated really well in my opinion. There is really not enough variation in the Filmation design from the MOTUC figure to warrant a variant figure. I'd prefer Mattel make Classics figures of Filamtion characters that never had figures before instead of wasting resources on variants of figures that (a) have already been released and (b) are nothing more than simplified versions of their toy designs for the sake of saving costs on animation.
    You make a fair argument, however even if someone isn't a Filmation fan I hope they'd at least recognize that this argument is just as fair: the Filmation look is THE most iconic look of the character, or at least the most recognized and widely known. What I mean is that if anyone knows of He-Man, they know of the Filmation look with him holding his sword aloft. They may know of other versions as well, but if someone only knows ONE version of him, it's that one, and I don't see how they can't make the version that is the most well known.
    Last edited by Mern-Ra; August 12, 2011 at 11:12pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Pass for me.

I agree with my pal Prahvus here:
    Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post
    As far as Filmation characters are concerned, I'm ONLY interested in original, unique and non-variants characters. In other words : Batros, Sea Hawk, Imp, Kittrina, Scorpia, Shokoti, Octavia, Lord Masque, Vultak, Fang Man, Icer, Madam Razz with Broom... would all be OK.

Filmation Teela, Beast Man, Mer-Man etc. are not interesting to me. So, personally, I wouldn't be inrerested in a Filmation He-Man.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

The filmation pose is iconic, but I'd say the most iconic He-Man is the vintage toy. By far.
    In any case I wouldn't like the idea of repaints or variants of that style wasting the variant slots. And the idea of filmation heads should fall under the 'no 200x heads' mentality imo, and it sounds like they will.

I, too, feel the same as Prahvus:

"As far as Filmation characters are concerned, I'm ONLY interested in original, unique and non-variants characters. In other words : Batros, Sea Hawk, Imp, Kittrina, Scorpia, Shokoti, Octavia, Lord Masque, Vultak, Fang Man, Icer, Madam Razz with Broom... would all be OK.

Filmation Teela, Beast Man, Mer-Man etc. are not interesting to me. So, personally, I wouldn't be interested in a Filmation He-Man."

There is already SOOO much for MOTUC to tackle, especially now with Filmation rights, and so little slots, that I would really hate to see them waste the time and effort on something like a Filmation He-Man, Skeletor, or whoever else... the differences are not that great to me, and I don't want variants of figures I already have that will feature LESS detail and overtly simplified Filmation paint jobs for $20 a pop. Mix in the Filmation characters that have never had figures before into the MOTUC line, but I have to say I'm not interested in cartoonified redos of any previously released figure.

The Filmation He-Man in my head would probably be too expensive to be worth it: A newly sculpted head and sword, simplified details like the custom above and swivels at the wrists. If they offered that, I'd be all over it.

they love to repaint the Teela dress so why not others?
    Last edited by Dark Sorceress; August 13, 2011 at 12:13am.

the King needs his Queen and pet! Queen Veena and Battle Lion for MOTUC!

For the Love of Illumina & her Cat Sleetah!!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/156251727799742/
    my Feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205099
    my sale page http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205041

Heroic Warrior
    gonna ask a dumb question, but isnt the TRU 2-pack He-man a close match for Filmation colors?

Artichokes aren't evil! MasterCollector's Avatar
    I'd be for a REALISTIC interpretation of He-Man's Filmation headsculpt.

That said, I would not be interested in a simplified version with less detailing and cartoony colors. Filmation cut back on detailing as a cost/time saving mechanism. I'm paying about $30 per figure with shipping so I want as much detail as possible for my money, not less.
    Last edited by MasterCollector; August 13, 2011 at 02:17pm.
    "Evilseed with his MYP redesign dominated the poll pulling ahead with a massive lead."

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    You make a fair argument, however even if someone isn't a Filmation fan I hope they'd at least recognize that this argument is just as fair: the Filmation look is THE most iconic look of the character, or at least the most recognized and widely known. What I mean is that if anyone knows of He-Man, they know of the Filmation look with him holding his sword aloft. They may know of other versions as well, but if someone only knows ONE version of him, it's that one, and I don't see how they can't make the version that is the most well known.
    The problem is, they basically already did make that version. Or at the very least, they made it close enough that the people you speak of should be able to see Filmation He-Man represented in the classics figure we already have. Elements include:

- Long hair with short bangs in the front, check.
    - Tanned complexion, check. Stand MOTUC He-Man next to other figures such as He-Ro, Prince Adam, Zodac, and others and you will see.
    - Orange bracelet and arm guard, check. Filmation He-Man had two bracelets to simplify the animation model so that the same animation cells could be flipped and reused when He-Man needed to be animated going in the opposite direction.
    - Reddish tint to his boots and loincloth, check.

While the custom from Hunter Knight shown above proves that you can go further to get a closer to Filmation look, ultimately it's not neccessary as the elements are already there in the existing figure. Seeing as the 200X fans have yet to get their He-Man due to the reason that he's basically the same character, just a different artistic interpretation, I don't think a Filmation He-Man is neccessary as it is just another artistic interpretation of the same character we already have.

Didn't I already start a thread to not get these? Ofcourse I did

I am sorry but this is such a bad idea. Pointless variants are pointless

YIKES! Haters, BE GONE! This is a SUPPORT thread! Please see the post above mine for a thread to say you don't want this type of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    Didn't I already start a thread to not get these? Ofcourse I did

I am sorry but this is such a bad idea. Pointless variants are pointless
    I'm just trying to counter your evil thread! I think YOUR thread is a bad idea, so THERE!

I think I've made it very clear I don't find this variant to be pointless, in fact I find it to be absolutely vital!

Non-sub 2 pack of Filmation He-Man and Skeletor would be cool... but as I said in this and the anti-Filmation thread. In order for this to work, Mattel NEEDS to put some effort. (Go beyond repaints...)

Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    YIKES! Haters, BE GONE! This is a SUPPORT thread!

I'm trying to counter your evil thread! I think YOUR thread is a bad idea, so THERE!

I think I've made it very clear I don't find this variant to be pointless, in fact I find it to be absolutely vital!
    Exactly, we should go bash his thread to see if he likes it, and they are NOT pointless, I want them, they could be handled like bubble poo-wer, She-ra outside the sub.
    When it comes to She-ra Princess of Power characters, FILMATION is the way to go!.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Sorry, but no. If they want to give us a Filmaton head, they need to give us a MYP head as well. That is the only way I would accept it.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    Sorry, but no. If they want to give us a Filmaton head, they need to give us a MYP head as well. That is the only way I would accept it.
    Fine by me, I want 200x as well