Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matty Thermometer

Matty Thermometer

With all of this talk of Mattel holding back Castle Grayskull due to the lower subs...do you think that next year's sub should have a thermometer put up on the Matty site so we'll know ahead of time how far away we are from hitting a mark on a certain item.

This year could've been Grayskull...

They're doing it for the DC sub...so why not "If we hit this mark, we'll do a presale for Grayskull!"

Or...why not a thermometer with the different years on it...to see if we'll surpass them or not.

Sure, sounds good! I'm down for anything they crank out.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

A thermometer is never a good sign.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    True. But damn, do I want a Grayskull. I'm thinking of selling my soul.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Roton 4) Dragstor 5) Saurod 6) Karg 7) Lodar 8) Mask of Power Demons 9) TC Skeletor 10) FF He-Man 11) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 12) Road Ripper 13) Lord Masque 14) Filmation Teela

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    True. But damn, do I want a Grayskull. I'm thinking of selling my soul.
    Don't do it man, don't do it...

I think the thermometer is a scare-tactic to force nervous collectors into buying more than one subscription.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    I think the thermometer is a scare-tactic to force nervous collectors into buying more than one subscription.
    Well that is what they want to get a Greyskull right?
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

...as opposed to saying that SKUs will be cut back and that we WERE going to do a Grayskull, but because we didn't sell enough, we're not?

Whatever works from a business standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by WDWFreak53 View Post
    ...as opposed to saying that SKUs will be cut back and that we WERE going to do a Grayskull, but because we didn't sell enough, we're not?

Can I get a 'Amen, Praise, Jesus!'
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Roton 4) Dragstor 5) Saurod 6) Karg 7) Lodar 8) Mask of Power Demons 9) TC Skeletor 10) FF He-Man 11) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 12) Road Ripper 13) Lord Masque 14) Filmation Teela

hmmm, how does Scott get approval for something ahead of time based on potential sales? i mean, how's it going to be if he puts it up and then his bosses say no (due to whatever reason)?

Quote Originally Posted by Ealo View Post
    hmmm, how does Scott get approval for something ahead of time based on potential sales? i mean, how's it going to be if he puts it up and then his bosses say no (due to whatever reason)?
    What happens is this, you take the "base" of subscribers and then you come up with a % you think would definitely buy.

Then based on that you come up with a price point which pays for expenses and nets you a minimal profit (with the mindset the more that buy the bigger the profit). If the "base" is too low or the price point is too high past sales and basic business sense tell you whether it is doable thing.

Scott most likely has to get complete approval before offering anything, that is why Greyskull was put on hold. He anticipated most likely that subs would be equal or higher, then using what I said above that is how he would approach Mattel to greenlight the funds to make it. When they came in lower financially speaking there was no way to get it going at this time.

Anything he is showing or tell us about has already been paid for/authorized to be made....unless it comes from the 4H as a one off test (He-Man in 2007, Battle Ram last year, etc).

Or at least that is how I am given to understand the basics, its not a cookie cutter industry and I do not work for Mattel so it could be a completely different set of procedures.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Quote Originally Posted by WDWFreak53 View Post

That's my point.

That's why I said, twice, in the other forum, that I think this is all bull.

I think they will offer CG. I think they've planned to do that.

I think they couldn't reasonably, or likely legally, use a thermometer for MOTUC because they would have been saying that the thermometer would be used to justify production of CG, when in all likelihood it would be used as a scare tactic to justify an unreasonable cost for CG (because "magically" the thermometer would never have reached 100%).

TG asked months ago about our feelings regarding spending $300-400 on a CG. The response was a resoundingly negative one.

They can use "we sold less subs than ever" and "we are cancelling SKUs" lines to instill fear, and to justify charging us all $300 for a plastic shell with no articulation, and a couple of extra pieces.

Granamyr is supposed to be between $60 and $80.

Size is not as important as tooling and articulation, or the number of pieces.

The old CG was $60 retail. The figures were $5.

Even if you use the same ratio, that's still not $300.

I know that this is not retail. But no one ever talks about how cutting out the retail middle man should cut costs for the consumer. Mattel is acting as it's own mark-up middle man.

This is all fishy to me.

They never talk about possible SKUs. Now all of a sudden they are willing to talk about them AND their cancellation due to poor sales??? That's not good business, nor is it Mattel's way.

So I ask myself, "what financial benefit does this revelation provide for Mattel?"

It might have been to sell more subs, but then if that had been the only reason, they should have done what people are suggesting here: incorporate a CG thermometer.

They didn't do that.

So then what is the point of the revelation other than to disappoint us?

It's to justify charging us $300+ for the playset AND making it sound like the price is OUR fault for not having bought enough subs.

"The Higher-Ups at Mattel would only approve this CG set at this price because they don't expect enough sales due to low subscriber numbers."

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. If I'm right, then start putting your money away.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Evil Horde Poison Master! Mr_Yuck's Avatar
    I wouldn't want to see a themometer. It's never a good to see something like that in my opinion. Not to mention the in fighting that it causes on the forums. I can't say it's the best way to approach it I think.

I don't really know what to think anymore. I am not sure if all of this talk about lower subs was factual and the line is winding down or if it was added motivation to get us to buy even more.

I am personally worried the line is going to end way sooner than anticipated. Look what has happened in the last few months: (1) NO MORE reissue figures past 2012, (2) NO MORE DC vs MOTU Toys R Us 2-packs, (3) FEWER quantities on sale day, and (4) LOWEST sub sales to date
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    I am personally worried the line is going to end way sooner than anticipated. Look what has happened in the last few months: (1) NO MORE reissue figures past 2012, (2) NO MORE DC vs MOTU Toys R Us 2-packs, (3) FEWER quantities on sale day, and (4) LOWEST sub sales to date
    Those are all just coincidental, No more reissues was announced a while ago and people just ignored it happened.

DC vs MOTU was a one shot toyline for TRU, they opted not to continue after the initial 4 sets. Though I suspect if they had known how fast the Faker set would fly from their online store they may have not done so.

3 and 4 go together, its always been that way. And I agree with Brian, I do not see how 2009 subs could be higher than 2011, that one just seems impossible imho

I hate to say it but time and again MOTU fans go into the beaten wife syndrome, I think a large portion of us spend more time worrying if the line will be around in 2014 then what is actually coming in 2011

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. If I'm right, then start putting your money away.
    Even though Castle Grayskull is one of my biggest desires in MOTUC, I wouldn't pay over 250$ for it.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Those are all just coincidental, No more reissues was announced a while ago and people just ignored it happened.

DC vs MOTU was a one shot toyline for TRU, they opted not to continue after the initial 4 sets. Though I suspect if they had known how fast the Faker set would fly from their online store they may have not done so.

3 and 4 go together, its always been that way. And I agree with Brian, I do not see how 2009 subs could be higher than 2011, that one just seems impossible imho

I hate to say it but time and again MOTU fans go into the beaten wife syndrome, I think a large portion of us spend more time worrying if the line will be around in 2014 then what is actually coming in 2011
    But that is a WHOLE LOT of cutting back in a short amount of time IMO.

And I have no idea how 2009 could even compare to 2011. Someone's math is off...LOL!
    Last edited by MOTU_Maniac; August 24, 2011 at 04:25pm.
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

Honestly, if there was a thermometer on Matty's site, how accurate do you think it would be?

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    What TPTB said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru
    http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...5/m/9201059017
    What do you think about Matty opening up a 'pre-order' for the Castle Grayskull playset in 2012? Take orders with no cancellations, and see if its enough to go into production(though when your order,orders placed are not guaranteed till you announce its definite).Have a "sell-O-meter" and track the sales for us fans...(Matty is doing it for the DC sub,why not do it for Castle Grayskull??)
    This is exactly how we were looking into this possibly for 2013, but now that the 2012 sub sales have come in the lowest yet we have had to scrap the idea. It is very hard to ask for additional resources (even just to concept the idea out for "presale")when the baseline is lower.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru
    http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...117#9331071117
    Even to do a presale would requite a lot of design work to figure out how big it is, how does it fit together, does it have any working parts? etc... We can't just say "we're going to do a $300.00 CG, who wants to buy one!"

If we asked for $200-$300 dollars fans would want to know details about what they would be getting for this price and to get "there" it would take mucho design work, even if we saved on tooling by waiting for a presale.

CG is a big ticket item, several hundred dollars at min. Fans are already saying the sub and non sub items are getting too expensive (well over $500 per year). To ask for the design resources for an item that will push it to over $800 in a year in a year when sub sales are down is just not going to happen no matter how much I want the Castle myself!

Keep in mind that everything we green light or hold back on is in an effort to keep the ling going as long and strong as possible. When and if we do certain projects is all strategic. The vintage line went away in part due to over production. The Stactions died because they burned through A list characters too quick.

We are paying attention to past learnings and growing this line slowly and at a pace our customers can keep up with. Nothing is done to spur fans, it is done with the best of intensions!

I still have no interst in paying $300 for CG.
    I'm hoping for a Disco Skeletor for the next subscription exclusive! Fully flocked!

"I don't like to feel good! I like to feel EVIL!"

i don't understand their logic. if they were willing to take pre-orders for grayskull, why would lower subs affect their decision to do that? i mean, they would have target number for grayskull and it would be outside the sub, so why is it dependent on subs too?

Evil Apologist of Mattel® Count Marzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    Yes, the Mattel® Thermometer of Doom™ is only used for evil purposes. Like when your favorite lien is dying and you're reduced to a mere fraction of a degree on said Thermometer of Doom™.
    -=¤EvilCøuntMarzø¤=-
    BLÅÇK FLØWËRŠ!!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Actually, I think it makes perfect sense. In my opinion, Toyguru explained it quite well and trust me I'm no big fan of Toyguru. Follow the logic here people:

The country is in a VERY bad recession (bordering on the brink of a depression). People do not have a lot of financial resources especially if you have a family.

The subscription sales were good in 2010 and for this year 2011. As a result, Matty tried to increase the amount by $60-$80 that we'd have to pay for next year's subscription. You know corporate greed and all. It backfired. A lot of people opted not to buy next year's subscription. People *****ed and moaned about paying $60.00 for the Star Sisters (I agree with them). Plus Mattel revealed that Granamyr was to be sold next year for $80-$90 and people are complaining about that too. If you don't know by now, then let me just state it to you as bluntly as possible. MATTEL EMPLOYEES READ THESE FORUM POSTS INCLUDING TOYGURU. They know you're all complaining about the price.

How can Toyguru convince his Mattel bosses to spend money on the production costs for a Castle Grayskull set that will cost $300-$400 when people are going off the handle about paying for the $60 Star Sisters and the $80+ Granamyr? That sums up to $140. People are saying that's too much. Well guess what? It's pretty much a guarantee that $300+ will also prove to be too high for a lot of you. It's kind of obvious why Mattel has decided to hold back on Castle Grayskull. IT'S A NO BRAINER!

I think we may have to cut some slack for Mattel and Toyguru on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by skeletom View Post
    I still have no interst in paying $300 for CG.
    I'm with you on this one.
    Need stuff? I might just have it!

Check out my shop!

SHOP1321

http://blujay.com/scar1321
    I'm always adding stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    Yes, the Mattel® Thermometer of Doom™ is only used for evil purposes.
    ... also known as 'the dreaded insertion'
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader