Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MOTUC vs. Peg Warmers - Recent trip to TRU is revealing

Heroic Warrior
    In the Matrix, waiting for the machines to release a MOTUC Strongarm to my limbic system

MOTUC vs. Peg Warmers - Recent trip to TRU is revealing

I was just at TRU today, and found the trip very revealing. First off, let me just say that I am as die hard a MOTU fan as they come, so my opinions may be jaded. For the most part I only collect MOTUC, but I just weakened and bought the two Thundercats classics figs (Lion-o and Tygra, btw they are AWESOME!). Anyway, I am rarely in toy stores anymore, and it had been a very long time since I was in TRU in particular. And let me say I was AMAZED at the amount of crap product warming the pegs. I find it extremely hard to beleive that a well marketed MOTUC line would not suceed on the shelves. And to prove my point, I am going to pick on one toy line in particular: the slew of Green Lantern product out there.

Here is my reasoning. I am a longtime comic geek, and I can say with a fair amount of certainty that Green Lantern is the definition of a marginally known hero outside of the fanboy universe. I would say he even is less well known (or was b4 the movie) than the Flash and maybe even Aquaman (Im talking to you Vince). With that said, you have a product that seemingly is suceeding based mostly on the marketing dollars of a - predominantly - poorly reviewed film. I have not seen many GL toy commercials on TV, but I have seen a TON of advertising for the film. And I have not seen the film, so I cant say anything about the quality of the movie. But having said that, I was inundated with a huge amount of GL merch in my line of view down the action figure isle. I really should have taken some pics. Anyway, the pegs were chock full of various mundane variations of Ryan Reynolds interpretation of Hal Jordan (let me just say, I know HJ is a awesome, OG character, despite him not being my cup of tea, just preface to the HJ fans out there). IMHO, these are terrible action figures that happen to sell based on a movie. Period. How many times have we seen this. I would love to know how MOTUC sells in relation to say the Green Lantern line. As a case in point, I just looked on mattycollector and their GL Origins figs that were on sale on 8/15 are still available, while even a reup of Beast man is sold out. Now, I dont needed to be schooled on how you cant compare the two. But really, I think you CAN make a comparison. Basically the crux of my argument is that He-man is just as, if not more, well known as GL. So I cant help beleive that this line not only has some huge potential despite all this sub-drama, but will explode back into the mainstream if Mattel were to market it correctly (or better yet, have a damn movie made!!!). Either way, the point of my post is that I was just stunned with the amount of ugly action figures holding ranks in the aisles these days (some other ugly lines worth mentioning IMO: WWE (basically a bunch of human men in speedos), some of the Captain America stuff, alot of the now dated Iron Man stuff), that I cant beleive He-man wouldnt succeed in that venue. MOTUC is a beautifully crafted, interesting and VARIED line. And dont point to the DC two packs, because lets face it, that was at best a half-hearted attempt to get He-man back out there. Hope u enjoyed my rant.

Call me crazy, but I am very happy that MOTUC is available only through MattyCollector and not Wal-Mart, TRU, etc....plus, it is way more fun opening a parcel than it is scoping a crowded store

Quote Originally Posted by Under_Miner View Post
    Call me crazy, but I am very happy that MOTUC is available only through MattyCollector and not Wal-Mart, TRU, etc....plus, it is way more fun opening a parcel than it is scoping a crowded store
    This X 100.

MOTUC moving to retail will lead to more problems that I want to imagine. You think DR is bad?

How many of you picked up a Roboto or an Evil Lyn 200X AT retail.

Oh yeah?

What about a Snake Armor He-man?

Didn't think so.

Did you get a lot of Jistu Stactions? Cause I saw nothing past wave 2 myself and I checked many locations in multiple states. And I'll tell you this...I won't do it again.

Put MOTU at retail to rest.
    I just published my very first ebook: Malediction! A short story of monsters and magic!
    Buy it now on Amazon or Barnes and Noble!

Print version, also available!

Heroic Warrior
    You can count on that He-Man is better known worldwide than GL...

Had GL give Mattel Billions of Dollars in the 80's?

I like the DC Universe, but those 2-packs were doomed at the very beginning.

I think, Mattel desn't have an idea, what kids want, the terrible GL toyline proves me right.

While I agree with you...you're overlooking a major point. They are not selling and still warming the pegs.

It's sad to say...but toy stores like Toys R Us will disappear. Your Targets and Walmarts have taken over and it makes sense. Unless you're in the holiday season, not many people venture out of their way to go to a toy store. Walmart and Target have become weekly destinations for many.

If MOTUC were to go to retail, I hope it would be exclusive to Target or Walmart. I don't believe the line would survive though. They are way too expensive especially considering Transformers are about half the price.

Well, like you said, the merch is just sitting there. It's not selling. At all. And that's with a major motion picture and it's advertising behind it.

The toy industry is TOUGH right now thanks to videogames and the internet. Trying to launch a line at retail, even with decent advertising dollars behind it, with no media tie-in is pretty much destined to fail. There'd have to be a new cartoon and you can be sure that if the higher ups at Mattel were going to attempt this, they wouldn't be pulling out the classics series. They'd go with another revamp in an attempt to appeal to a broader audience.

As for the "crux of your argument"...I'd argue that GL is more widely known among the kids these days and not just because of the movie. DC has had numerous successful cartoon series and direct to videos that feature the character in one role or another over the last 10 years or so. MOTU had a short lived revamp in 2002 or so with a toyline that didn't sell very well.

MOTU is just not a property that's enjoyed repeated exposure over the years and as such, is a harder sell to modern audiences who are more than likely unfamiliar with the line.

Heroic Warrior
    I am still wondering, why Mattel thought, this concept could work?

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post
    You can count on that He-Man is better known worldwide than GL...

Had GL give Mattel Billions of Dollars in the 80's?

I like the DC Universe, but those 2-packs were doomed at the very beginning.

I think, Mattel desn't have an idea, what kids want, the terrible GL toyline proves me right.
    Green Lantern has been a major (but not so much mainstream, aside from Superfriends/Super Powers) comic book character since 1960 and that's not counting Alan Scott. He's got a few titles going on since the 80's and a slew of trade paperbacks out there.

He-Man has been out there since 1981 at the earliest to 1988. That was at his peak. NA was largely ignored and alot of people didn't know about the 200X relaunch. MOTUC is the most obscure MOTU toyline of all, known only to hardcore toy collectors online.

I think GL is the bigger character. We're talking comic book character versus toy.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

The classics line would die a quick and painful death in retail stores. There's simply not enough casual Joes that would walk in there and be like O...I think I'll blow $20 on that! Not too mention the characters are becoming even more and more obscure now. You need a specialty market for stuff like that.

The market for these things has already been exploited and exposed....It's here, with us. We're the only guys/gals that are/will buy these things for the most part, end of story. Too expensive and too obscure for regular people and regular stores.

Heroic Warrior
    In the Matrix, waiting for the machines to release a MOTUC Strongarm to my limbic system
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Green Lantern has been a major (but not so much mainstream, aside from Superfriends/Super Powers) comic book character since 1960 and that's not counting Alan Scott.
    Did you just pull out Alan Scott?? LOL. I think you mention that name to most COMIC FANS and they dont even know who that is. (jk)

Anyway, I have been reading the posts the last few days about the sub numbers going down, and it just kind of ****** me off that Toyguru is making it seem like interest in the line is waning. I just hope this line has a nice long life. I am not ready to see it end anytime soon.

keep MOTUC online. 12 figures a year, 4 quartly figs... mixes of giants / beasts here and there. Perfect. Trying to find Thundercats in the stores for my sons now sucks! I love the online thing and even if it's scaled back a lil, I will enjoy it until the end!
    Check out my band The Caterpillar Book on iTunes, Rhapsody, Amazon, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by RyDell View Post
    Trying to find Thundercats in the stores for my sons now sucks!

Wait awhile on that The same used to be said about the DC/MOTU packs at one time too

All over California and coming to your neighborhood soon, so be afraid!
    Amen Brother

keep MOTUC online. 12 figures a year, 4 quartly figs... mixes of giants / beasts here and there. Perfect. Trying to find Thundercats in the stores for my sons now sucks! I love the online thing and even if it's scaled back a lil, I will enjoy it until the end!
    Ive had no issues finding thundercats anywhere in western washington. Im saddened cause i dont want them and they are plentiful.

Quote Originally Posted by demonicfirefly View Post
    Ive had no issues finding thundercats anywhere in western washington. Im saddened cause i dont want them and they are plentiful.
    Yea I told my boys this... they will be everywhere soon! They love the new toon and are so excited to find the toys... They keep asking to go to the store to see if they are there. We only found 3 of them. If I didn't have my boys, I wouldn't be looking for TC either!
    Check out my band The Caterpillar Book on iTunes, Rhapsody, Amazon, etc.

Heroic Warrior
    I think, Mattel doesn't have an idea, what kids want, the terrible GL toyline proves me right.
    The reason for this :

Mattel was funded in 1945 by Harold Mattson et Elliot Handler. Elliot Handler created Hot Wheels, one of Mattel's biggest brands. Handler's wife, Ruth Handler, later became president and established the Barbie brand, the biggest Mattel property to date.

These guys loved toys and children, and actually created their business.

Ruth Handler died in 2002 (she was 85 years old). Since May 2000, there had been a huge change in Mattel's leadership.

And if you look at the career of the people who are now directors (and who come for the most part from the 2000 change of leadership), you'll find out that most of them come from the food or from the oil sectors (see http://corporate.mattel.com/about-us/default.aspx ) !

I think those guys manage and promote their business the same way that they would manage an oil or a processed food company. They are corporate guys before toy sellers. Mattel's SOUL is gone... that is, until they find people with a real love for toys again.
    Last edited by Prahvus; August 23, 2011 at 09:10pm.

Heroic Warrior
    The ability to cut out the middle-man (brick-n-mortar) is highly beneficial to both maker and collector.

I've seen plenty of GL toy commercials and that still isn't selling them around here. That and they look disgustingly overproduced.

motu only will return at retail accompanied by a new media (cartoon ,series, movie)
    Last edited by heavy-eternium; August 23, 2011 at 09:25pm.
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

I agree with the others who say MOTUC is better off being sold online. Try it at retail, and the beginning would probably be nice, but it would only be a matter of time before the shelves were clogged with the latest versions of He-Man and Skeletor.

Be glad we've got Matty. If MOTUC were at retail, I seriously doubt we'd have gotten this far.

I completely agree. Especially Since I would waste Gas on many fruitless trips back then. With the rise of GAs Prices thank goodness for delivery.
    2012 Create a character Runners up Mini-Sub please!!! I needs Bubblor and Major Header.

Heroic Photog Supporter musclor's Avatar
    Trying to find Thundercats in the stores for my sons now sucks!
    Check out wal marts and k marts that have finished their toy resets. These things are sitting hard right now here...

As for th green lantern comparison - I see your point, but as others have said, the gl toys are failing miserably on shelves. Stores ordered in bulk hoping for a blockbuster movie.....

Motu needs to be an online line right now. With the sad state of the toy industry, I am ok with that.
    Photog is here! thank you, Mattel!

Now how about some mini-comics love (like Lodar, Geldor, Dakon......)? And Mermista?

Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post
    I think those guys manage and promote their business the same way that they would manage an oil or a processed food company. They are corporate guys before toy sellers. Mattel's SOUL is gone... that is, until they find people with a real love for toys again.
    That's pretty much normal in the corporate world. You'll find that most board directors sit on the board of several different companies. They don't have to know toys. What they have to know is who to employ ie. the right people who know toys.

Anyway, the whole Motu at retail thing often has me wondering if it's worth it.
    It's great to try and put Motu back into conciousness of the general public, but toy collecting I'd venture is more an adult hobby than a child's hobby these days, and the unfortunate fact is that even if most adults know who He-Man is, they certainly aren't going to run out and buy the toy.

For me, if you want to get He-Man's name back out there, is to get a kick-butt video game out on sale. The games industry dwarfs the toys industry and millions upon millions of people the world over play games these days. The average gamer is 33 years old (statistical fact) and online gaming is absolutely massive, and getting bigger.
    The average 33 year old may not walk down toy isles too often but they do play games, and tons of them.

If THQ can hire a really good developer, and they make a game that does justice to this property (Not like that lightweight PS2 offering) and that gamers really enjoy, then that will do far more, imo, to get Motu back in the mainstream consciousness than toys on pegs.

Defender of the Elders Red Trinity's Avatar
    I am too tired to go "toy hunting." Keep the little brown boxes showing up at my doorstep once a month and I am happy.

Quote Originally Posted by davidlogan View Post
    This X 100.

MOTUC moving to retail will lead to more problems that I want to imagine. You think DR is bad?

How many of you picked up a Roboto or an Evil Lyn 200X AT retail.

Oh yeah?

What about a Snake Armor He-man?

Didn't think so.

Did you get a lot of Jistu Stactions? Cause I saw nothing past wave 2 myself and I checked many locations in multiple states. And I'll tell you this...I won't do it again.

Put MOTU at retail to rest.
    I picked up both Roboto and Evil Lyn at retail. Even got 2 Lyn's at retail at different times... one for a friend of mine. No Snake Armor He-man though, but did get Fisto, Zodak, Hiss, and Rattlor at retail.

Also got a Jitsu staction. Unbroken and everything.

Though I agree that the 200x figures weren't packed all that well and were tough to find. It took some searching to find all the ones I did. The only reason I'd like to see them at retail is that it would probably make them a bit cheaper.
    Right or wrong, buying a sub tells Mattel you want more MOTUC figures. Not buying does tells them you don't. Don't let MOTUC end early because you might not like their marketing strategy! Plus polls show you won't regret subbing!

One of the true fan minority - happy MOTU fans!

www.marveltoys.net - the source for marvel figure information.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Green Lantern has been a major (but not so much mainstream, aside from Superfriends/Super Powers) comic book character since 1960 and that's not counting Alan Scott. He's got a few titles going on since the 80's and a slew of trade paperbacks out there.

He-Man has been out there since 1981 at the earliest to 1988. That was at his peak. NA was largely ignored and alot of people didn't know about the 200X relaunch. MOTUC is the most obscure MOTU toyline of all, known only to hardcore toy collectors online.

I think GL is the bigger character. We're talking comic book character versus toy.
    I cannot agree with that.

I'm talking worldwide not just USA.

Two generations over the world knows He-Man, us and our parents, who bought the stuff for us over years!

You can ask normal people here and most would know He-Man, but GL is very rarely known...