Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MOTU Classics Leech Video Review by Pixel Dan

Quote Originally Posted by tmc1984 View Post
    great review dan!!! ...

i was really excited when i heard leech was coming way back when he was first revealed ... i think the figure looks great, i love the green paint-job on it ...

my only gripe is that i wish the suction piece in the back of his mouth was further forward, just to give him more of a 'leech' effect ... anyone agree? ... i think his mouth could have been a tad smaller ...

as for the proportions debate, couldn't they have just given him bigger shoulder joints? ... perhaps even a bulkier set of thighs? ... i guess all these one-off parts cost mattel money, but they could have added well to the figures appearance ...
    I think that it's fine where it is (the back of the mouth) but I would've liked a "tube-like" sucker to protrude out a little. Not move the entire thing out...just the actual "sucker" part.

On a side note...
    I see one of two things that must plague poor Leech.
    He either:
    A. Drools a lot.
    B. Has a very dry mouth.

Every incarnation of his toy has this wide gaping mouth.
    Last edited by WDWFreak53; August 22, 2011 at 06:05am.

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Awesome review as always. I agree, something isn't perfect about this MOTUC Leech and I also think the staction wins in terms of awesomeness. Still an amazing figure though. I think his mouth just needs to look a bit more like it actually has capability of "suction" and not eating your face off.

Horde figures = win everytime. Can't wait til next month and I haven't even gotten my Man-E + Megator yet!
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Searching for this WORLD CLASS RESEARCH FACILITY I heard about.
    The proportions problem that I saw were not with the arms or legs but his body girth. Leech is a fat chubby dude but when you see him from the side it looks all wrong.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SKELETOR'S JOURNEY: You heard of Skeletor, Skeleteen and now Skelebaby? The saga of Skeletor's chronology to be continued in 2014. Stay tuned!!!

Another Good review, Dan.

Is it fair to compare any figure in this line to his staction counterpart though? I can't watch the review yet as I'm at work, but I'm looking at the comments so far, and I'm left wondering which classics figure actually does look better than his/her staction counterpart. Personally, I can't think of one.

I just don't think it's a fair comparison really. Stactions are purely about looks and detail. No parts sharing and no articulation to be concerned with.

For Hordak. To the death. lorde trooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mick4metal View Post
    The proportions problem that I saw were not with the arms or legs but his body girth. Leech is a fat chubby dude but when you see him from the side it looks all wrong.
    I agree from side on he looks sick, too much detox. The original was a little thicker up around the back of the neck area too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neal1972 View Post
    Is it fair to compare any figure in this line to his staction counterpart though? I can't watch the review yet as I'm at work, but I'm looking at the comments so far, and I'm left wondering which classics figure actually does look better than his/her staction counterpart. Personally, I can't think of one.

I just don't think it's a fair comparison really. Stactions are purely about looks and detail. No parts sharing and no articulation to be concerned with.
    I agree i dont think any classic character looks better then there staction counterpart either. I definetly like the Leech staction way better then the leech classics.
    Evil Army of the Horde!!

Leech is my favourite character in the whole of MOTU and thus I am very fussy when it comes to his appearance and I knew that the figure was unlikely to be perfect to me, but I still love it.
    The proportions don't bother me at all, it's just the head, the mouth is too wide open and too toothy. It looks as though he wouldn't even be able to close his mouth as the teeth towards the back are so large.

If his mouth wasn't as wide open and he had smaller teeth and larger lips (like the Filmation take on him) then I would be over the moon.

Still can't wait to get him though.

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar

The only reason I disagree with this sentiment in this instance is that there are no articulation or part sharing with the head...and THAT is the eyesore on this figure.
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Even the stactions had part sharing. Kinda. But you are right, the stactions were so amazing they can't be compared to. Unfortuntely though, I can't unsee staction Leech when I look at MOTUC Leech. I'm hoping he looks great in person cos I'm not all that excited yet - and I LOVE the Horde.

Is it that MOTUC Leech is too ripped? He has abs! I think it looks kinda weird on him - more than it does on that vintage Eldor proto. I would have preferred him more slug-like and less defined.

And maybe his teeth are to big? I would have loved a Filmation head on him - bigger lips and smaller teeth.

Heroic Warrior

I have to disagree... Having grown up with the original MOTUC toy line and the Filmation cartoon, while I find the MYP designs to be cool, these MOTUC figures are the toys I always wanted the original line to be and I have yet to see one that I think the staction looks better for my tastes and wants in this line than the actual figure being reviewed.

Great review Dan. I'm glad to hear that he has good ankles.

One thing that I think might have made him look better is if he had the wide crotch piece that the original King Grayskull, He-Man, Skeletor, and Faker had. That would have made his stance wider and would have looked better with the wider torso.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

I persoanlly dont like this model, the teeth are far too big for his mouth and they could have made the sucktion pads more of a webbed hand/feet.

Its not the end of the world but the disks are pointless and plain. Still want him though, but they could have been more inventive

Quote Originally Posted by Big Country View Post
    As for the figure, that head is just awful. Another example (even WORSE than Clawful) of when going with more of a Vintage/200x hybrid would have been a better move.

I'm not at all excited about this guy.
    Nail head, meet hammer!

This version of Leech looks like a toad with a mouthful of marsh-mellows. Here's a head actually worse than Muppet-Clawful.
    Last edited by Eternian Poet; August 22, 2011 at 10:36am.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Honestly, I think this figure looks waaay better than the Staction.

Chicago, Illinois (but my heart will always be in the UK)
    Thanks for the (as always) awesome review, Dan!

Quote Originally Posted by vestibular man View Post
    Gotta respectfully disagree with many posters here. This figure looks unique and interesting. I like the updated head. I am very happy with the new tooling on this figure. I can see mattel went to great lengths to make this one. I'm looking forward to it!
    My sentiments exactly, vestibular man! I totally respect others' opinions, but from a personal standpoint I'm content with what we're getting, and thrilled to be adding the Master of Power Suction to my collection. (Though I do feel that the 200X Leech was and is the best version to-date--speaking of, where are the tongue / tentacles in his suction-hands? Those were awesome!)

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    ...The only thing that bothers me about Leech is his head. What bothers me about it is the same thing I didn't like about it when I was a kid: you can't see any of his face when looking directly at him except for his big mouth! I think an alternate, more Filmation-inspired head would have done him a lot of good. I mean, I can accept this as him using his "I'm gonna eat you!" head, but not his regular, everyday head.
    Agreed 100%! Perhaps a hinged jaw would have worked really well in this case (though I don't know how they would have worked the interior, 'cause I really like how that came out in this case).
    MORE POP AND NEW ADVENTURES REPRESENTATION IN MOTUC PLEASE!

Dark Legacies
    MVC Comics - Collected Info About the Comics

Zoar28, Facebook

Heroic Warrior
    Living in a reality where MOTUC goes on forever and ever and ever.....

Top five figure for me

Leech was a must have for me, he is definately one of my top five Masters characters. I am loving this version, although I would agree with most that the Staction statue is the definitive version of Leech. But it is really unfair to compare a action figure with a statue. Almost ALL statues are more detailed than their action figure counterparts. What is saved in articulation goes into the sculpt. Great update of the classic figure, cant wait. All I need now is Spikor and Ram-man, and then my life will be complete.

I said this from the fwoosh pics and from the video it still stands-

"I still think his head should have been a tad smaller, making his body over all look larger, more like the original figure. Since his legs and arms are the regular buck size, a slightly smaller head would have helped with proportions, and would have helped remove some of the goofy factor. I think the sculpt is really good though. Teeth could have been smaller and sharper, but still cool."

pic Originally Posted by nanoFatato

I didn't think about that original wider crotch piece. That would have helped as well. I think overall the design, paint apps and look of this figure are almost perfect, it's just a near miss to awesomeness due to proportions. Still looks like a guy wearing one of those chinese dragon heads.

Too bad. Maybe some third party sculptor will release a smaller or different head.

Great video as always!
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

Excellent as always!
    I'm too impatient for the one with Hurricane Hordak!
    It's funny because I was lucky to got some Pictures with Dan when I was at SDCC and some friends were asking "How is Pixel-Dan in the real life?" And I told them: "EXACTLY like in video!" "Very very very nice!" That's why it is so pleasant to watch these videos!
    This guy is just natural.

KEEP UP THE GOOD JOB Man !

Widget
    Awesome video once again!

I totally get what people are saying about Leech's proportions but I still can't wait to get this sucker! I loved playing with my horde figures as a kid so am always happy to add another member to their ranks. Come on Mantenna next!!

Great review, PD!

It's funny. I didn't like Leech until the review and the Fwoosh first look, and now I can't wait for him. He looks like a scary animal, barely contained by his anthropomorphism. I DO like the staction more, but this guy definitely fits in the MOTUC line, and will look amazing with the rest of the Horde figs so far.

Leech looks so goofy compared to his 200X version. I wish his teeth were thinner and his lips not quite so big so he could actually see ahead of him.

Nice review. Thank you for that.
    I'm ok with the proportions and I really like the wrist articulation. Can't wait for this cool figure.
    The Horde is growing, next stop: "Shadow Weaver"... yeahh.
    Looking forward for your next video, Dan.
    "A female He-Man. Ooh oh. This is the worst day of my life."

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arvulis View Post
    It's funny because I was lucky to got some Pictures with Dan when I was at SDCC and some friends were asking "How is Pixel-Dan in the real life?" And I told them: "EXACTLY like in video!" "Very very very nice!" That's why it is so pleasant to watch these videos!
    This guy is just natural.

KEEP UP THE GOOD JOB Man !

Thanks man! I appreciate that!
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Awesome review yet again Dan!
    I have to agree that this figure seems a bit off. Not a bad figure, but he just seems messy. I think you nailed as to why.

Quote Originally Posted by mick4metal View Post
    Whoa! looks like Leech decided to wisen up in his older years and hit the gym more often in the ol fright zone to get in shape compared to how he was in the 80's!