Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What if they were smaller?

Maybe when Hasbro takes over and calls it Masters of The Universe Legends, then you can have that tiny scale. MOTUC scale is perfect.

I love them how they are and am glad this is the size and scale they went with!
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    Other than I don't care for those advantages over the current size and look of the figures.
    Which isn't really a case but rather a subjective opinion. And I respect your right to have an opinion.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by kenobi96 View Post
    I would buy them smaller, like the current Marvel Universe size figures, but ONLY if they were excellent quality, highly detailed (like the 200x stactions) figures, give us GIANTS Tytus and Megator (like the size of the Marvel Universe Galactus and Sentinel), make playsets and vehicles and sell them in stores!
    Exactly. A slightly different scale change is pointless. THIS scale I could sign up for, especially for the vehicle/playset aspect!

I usually do prefer smaller figures. However compared to my other 80s toys (Star Wars, Super Powers, Marvel Secret Wars, GI JOE) the MOTU figures were the largest figures I had back in the 80s. Therefore I like MOTUC being so large. It is another link to the original line for me.
    Wanna see whales in giant mechsuits protect mankind against evil aliens?
    Check out: http://mechawhales.com/

Collectible figures available from: http://www.deepfriedfigures.com/

My 3D printed action figures: http://www.hauke-scheer.de/

Quote Originally Posted by FAKER II View Post
    Which isn't really a case but rather a subjective opinion. And I respect your right to have an opinion.
    It is a case. Many people quit Marvel Legends when they switched to the 3 and 3/4 line despite the benefits. Scale and size matter alone.

Honestly, I'm torn, the space issue and the cost hurts in some places, but then again some GIJoes cost more than MOTUC, that isn't counting secondary markets. If it was a different size, obviously I say 3 3/4 because I'm bias. But on the other side, the bulk and heft of then figures is part of the appeal. I don't collect much else besides Joe and MOTUC anymore.

REMAINING MOTUC FOR 2015 synthalus's Avatar
    I love the MOTUC figures at their current 7"
    If the sale would ever change, the line would become inconsistent
    and I would have no desire to continue collecting it.
    Even if the line would get a new name in a new scale I would not get it at all.

When the movie gets figures that aren't in the same 7" scale,
    I would probably not get it either because I prefer consistency within the same properties.

Some one off set or a small separate line next to the MOTUC line with the main characters in 4" would however be pretty neat imo but only if they are fully articulated like the Hasbro lines' Marvel Universe and G.I. Joe. If they have the outdated 5 points articulation like Mattel's DC Universe Infinite Heroes and Green Lantern lines... no thanks!
    MY MOTUC WANTS: Gwildor, Rotar, Mermista, Angella, Peekablue, Spinerella, Perfuma, Master Sebrian, Sagitar, Tuskador, Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Nocturna, Spinwit, Artilla, Saurod, Ninjor, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Twistoid, Hunga the Harpy, Dragstor, Vultak, Multi-Bot, Blast-Attak, Tung Lashor, Sssqueeeze, Lizorr, Hoove, Critta, Quakke, Butthead, Staghorn
    => MOTU-Classics-Checklist <=

meh i like the larger size as they intended it to be so they felt as big to you now as the originals did when you were a kid.

Size is pretty much perfect for me. Don't think I would care for them to be much bigger, but better to be bigger than smaller, IMO.

7" for me. I think if they were smaller in scale they wouldn't have that nostalgic feel to them. If they ever decided to go to mainstream a smaller size for retail might be more appropriate (as long as the 4H still were responsible for sculpts).

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Adam's Dad View Post
    1. Price point. Ideally, less plastic would mean less cost to the consumer.

2. Display space. It's starting to run a little thin, isn't it?

3. Vehicles/playsets. A smaller Greyskull or Snake Mountain would be a lot likelier to be made.

So there it is. Pros? Cons? What do you guys think? Would you prefer a smaller scale?
    1. Yes, I think it would help. A lot of the cost is in the molds, but a vintage-sized classic figure would require both less paint and less plastic.

2. The vintage figures were so chunky that they almost take the same amount of space as classics. They're shorter but their chests are almost the same size, and their arms don't move inward at all. But yes, space is a consideration

3. The big benefit to smaller Classics would be compatibility with old playsets and vehicles. There would probably actually be less demand for new versions
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

Wow, how did I miss this thread back then? Not a bad thing though: I think I'm more prepared to answer this now than I was then. I'm REALLY feeling the space issue, as these are my second largest figures (first being Sigma 6, which I just don't see myself getting rid of).

I'll always love the smaller scales, honestly. Back when this line had come out I knew I had wanted them to be smaller. Now that they're in-hand and further down the line? ...I'm not sure. I would certainly have more space now, but I friggin' LOVE the detail you can fit into this size. Plus, I love having them larger than most 6 inch figures! It just works! I think MotUC needed to be a big 'ol line, figure size wise.

However: That doesn't mean that I wouldn't be interested in a smaller line. I think the Mini Masters would be perfect - simple and small. My dream toyline would be the one that Slocin...Solocin...S...starts with an "S". He's a member here and I can never remember how to spell his name, but he drew a bunch of pics of his own idea for a MotU toyline with about 5 inch figures and simple articulation. THOSE were awesome! But Mini Masters gets the idea across as well. I love the poseability of the current guys and I wouldn't trade 'em, but I would still love to see a simple playable toyline like the old days.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Heck no. The size is perfect as is. They look imposing next to other 6" scale figures, and the size allows for the perfect amount of articulation and detail. The loss in detail on the DCUC figures is too much.
    Hey, if you want to wallow in the negative, go nuts. Sure, things aren’t absolutely perfect, and people passionate about a property can get all keyed up about things. But I don’t collect toys to be miserable. So I’d rather think about the things that do excite me
    http://thefwoosh.com/2014/06/masters...beyond-vintage

I would have been cool if they were Star Wars/Marvel Universe scale but Mattel's Infinite Earths line was just terrible. I prefer they stay away from smaller scales.
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

"Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    If they were any smaller than they are now, it would be like 200X all over again. As SCB said, the beefiness of these characters is what sets them apart from the rest of the toy universe.

They may take up more room than the average figure, and they may cost a bit more to produce, but dang!, they are perfect just they way they are!

(Although, I really, REALLY hope that Mattel continues the Mini-Masters beyond the SDCC exclusives. I love this style of figure as a separate line, and being a much smaller scale means possible play-sets/vehicles/beasts that we may not get to see in the standard MOTUC line...)
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

I am far from a fan of the 4" figures....I really can't stand that small size....bigger = more detail, and I love detail in what is an Adult line....6" is basically the minimum I want to collect in an Adult line....

Mini Masters are fine for what they are....kind of kiddy, and cool little offshoots, but as far as a real figure line goes....no, I am glad MOTUC is the size it is....although if it were scaled back to 5" they would likely have been 6" tall....which still would have been fine and full of detail....but as they are....hell no, they are perfect.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

If they were a smaller scale they just wouldn't seem like Masters of the Universe figures to me and I would have zero interest in them.

If we started the line all over 6" would have been good.I don't open my figures but i bet handling them would be much easier if they were slightly smaller.

No way, I would not be as interested in smaller MOTU figures now.

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    It seems that a lot of people missed the part about "not changing scale now, but starting out back then a bit smaller".

It's funny that this thread was revived. After I started it, I ended up drastically cutting down on my MOTUC purchases, largely because of space limitations. It's clear from the reactions in the thread that most wouldn't be interested in a smaller scale, though. Oh, well. it's fun to speculate.

I like the 3.75 inch scale a lot more than larger 6" figures. I think for me it just goes back to what I grew up with. Yes, there were lots of bigger figures out there but my main loves were Star Wars and GI Joe (and Transformers). And by childhood, I mean late '70's to mid 80's.

I would love to see the line come back (after Classics has wrapped up) in the smaller 3.75" scale. Yes, you would loose detail but it has never been done before and would look darn cool in my collection.

People keep talking about "in a movie year" but what they fail to realize is that it will most likely be new takes on the old characters. They would be far from the "classic" looks we are all used to. And, the set would most likely consist of about 10 different characters and that would be it.

I do find it funny how many MOTU collectors are against change. Usually this is my department (at least that is what my wife says).

PS - I personally don't find that the mini-masters are anywhere near the change in scale/design that is needed. I want Marvel Universe type MOTU.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Canada View Post
    I like the 3.75 inch scale a lot more than larger 6" figures. I think for me it just goes back to what I grew up with. Yes, there were lots of bigger figures out there but my main loves were Star Wars and GI Joe (and Transformers). And by childhood, I mean late '70's to mid 80's.

I would love to see the line come back (after Classics has wrapped up) in the smaller 3.75" scale. Yes, you would loose detail but it has never been done before and would look darn cool in my collection.

People keep talking about "in a movie year" but what they fail to realize is that it will most likely be new takes on the old characters. They would be far from the "classic" looks we are all used to. And, the set would most likely consist of about 10 different characters and that would be it.

I do find it funny how many MOTU collectors are against change. Usually this is my department (at least that is what my wife says).

PS - I personally don't find that the mini-masters are anywhere near the change in scale/design that is needed. I want Marvel Universe type MOTU.
    I'm not against change, again I was 100% on board with 200x (well 99.9% He-man wasn't bulky enough) but I NEVER liked the 3.75% scale. I'm a star wars fan but the figures weren't that interesting to me, the vehicles were though, never into GI Joe but I liked the cobra vehicles. So for me it's not about change it's about what I actually enjoy. (for the record I love the mini masters though)
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Canada View Post
    I think that the Marvel Universe ficures (specifically the ones in movie sub-lines like Wolverine) have set a pretty cool prescadent of having the movie verson released in the same wave as a 'classic' or 'comic' version. I think this could work beautifully with MOTU.

Also, if we are in the retail realm, the Transformers line has established the idea of the same figure at different size/price points being available simultaneously.

Robots and Monsters! TrimmTrabb's Avatar
    I've probably already said this in this thread, but I wish they were about an inch smaller, so that they were the same scale as vintage MOTU. This size is pretty cool, but 6"-5.5" figures are best, in my book.