Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ideas to make subscription more attractive!

Ideas to make subscription more attractive!

This is a thread that I hope Scott reads. The objective here is to give ideas for mattel to make the subscrpition more attractive than the exclusive, the map and avoid the WSOD, which IMO is nice but not enough at this point of the road!

Here is mines:

Discount for non-sub items like vehicles,stands, dioramas, extra-large itens and etc..

Access to an exclusive part of mattycollectors site with interviews, productions sneak peaks, extra photos, videos, vintage art, old ads, and other nice MOTU stuff.

A bimonthly or quarter give-away of a special item (a four horseman autographed figure, or a Earl Norem autographed windraider, or a poster and etc..) drawn to one of the subscribers.

Some fan demand limited editions of Deluxe versions of figures like battle damaged Faker (alla Terminator), with premium (and profitables) prices, available ONLY to subscribers with low limit per sub!

Expansion packs like, extra heads and weapons for the army builders , extras snakes for king Hiss, green falcon for the Goddess.

And the list can go, I don't know what is possible or not, but I'm sure if everybody help some good ideas will appear and Tg can pick up some to help our beloved MOTUC line!!
    My Feedback

The fortress of mystery and power!

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Wasn't shipping prior to sale day supposed to be a Sub perk?

Perks are GREAT when they're delivered...
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Yes, it is, Big C.
    I probably forgot that because figures take a month to arrive to me, but I guess for the U.S. residents it is a nice perk!
    My Feedback

The fortress of mystery and power!

they tried giving us a discount for Battle Cat but it didn't work out too well. it was too difficult to enter in the discount code and beat the WSOD at the same time.

all they have to do is make Castle Grayskull a sub exclusive. if that doesn't increase sub sales, i don't know what will.

I would buy 2-3 subs if i could get 1 all in sub and 2 vintage only subs...Im sorry just hate the pop/na stuff...i have to trade more and more stuff off as the line cont....So if they could build diff. sub options wouldn't that work and sell more subs...I think so!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdominiack View Post
    I would buy 2-3 subs if i could get 1 all in sub and 2 vintage only subs...Im sorry just hate the pop/na stuff...i have to trade more and more stuff off as the line cont....So if they could build diff. sub options wouldn't that work and sell more subs...I think so!
    All vintage sub would be great.

Also if they could figure out a way were shipping wasnt 50% of the price of the item we are purchasing

Believe it or not Logistics is no joke. So many moving parts and so many hands involved in a project that often times the weak link can make an entire mission or project go to poop. Logistics is what wins wars. So far MOTU is still winning. I hope it continues to win but it does require our financial support despite the crap that comes our way. We shall overcome as long as we are patient and supportive.
    2012 Create a character Runners up Mini-Sub please!!! I needs Bubblor and Major Header.

My suggestion is one I offered months ago.

Make CG a four-part, quarterly collect-and-connect playset, exclusive to the subscription.

This would:

- cause people to buy the subscription
    - prevent people from cancelling
    - help customers save on shipping/tax on shipping

They could put these in place of the BEAST items, and offer maybe 2 beasts outside the sub for that year... maybe.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post

Make CG a four-part, quarterly collect-and-connect playset, exclusive to the subscription.

This would:

They could put these in place of the BEAST items, and offer maybe 2 beasts outside the sub for that year... maybe.
    Toybiz did a similar thing with Marvel legends and I believe that it worked. Something like this was suggested when the line first came out but it looks like they want to take a different direction...=(
    2012 Create a character Runners up Mini-Sub please!!! I needs Bubblor and Major Header.

This is easy:
    1. More attention on quality control
    2. Stop using cheap gummy plastic (especially on limbs)
    3. Fix that crappy Mattycollector website
    4. Pay the 4HM a bonus when they nail it and I mean nail it as in the way Beastman and Merman has everyone happy as apposed to Clawful and Leech (more heads, more detail less goofyness).

since the buyer is committing to buy everything, the least they could do would be either offer the sub exclusive or make a discount on each monthly figure.

The only two reasons to buy the subscription so far are, getting the sub exclusive much cheaper than in the second market and not having to deal with sale day issues. Not good enough imo.

Searching for this WORLD CLASS RESEARCH FACILITY I heard about.
    AWWW COMEON!!!! A sticker sheet coming with Snout Spout is not enough incentive for you people?
    SKELETOR'S JOURNEY: You heard of Skeletor, Skeleteen and now Skelebaby? The saga of Skeletor's chronology to be continued in 2014. Stay tuned!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Agreed! Discount everything 5 to 10 percent. That would encourage people to get the sub!

Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel View Post
    since the buyer is committing to buy everything, the least they could do would be either offer the sub exclusive or make a discount on each monthly figure.

The only two reasons to buy the subscription so far are, getting the sub exclusive much cheaper than in the second market and not having to deal with sale day issues. Not good enough imo.
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

I still think simple two different type of subscription would have done the deal, as increased cost of the subscription seemed to be an issue according to the forums at least.

So simply offer two types:
    a) Just 12 figures (plus bonus figure).
    b) Everything (plus bonus figure).

Heroic Warrior
    1. an ongoing series of mini-comics, each with a cliffhanger and one issue with every figure...based on the bios...

2. collect and connect Modulok and Multibot... with extra new parts and filmation parts... spread out over three years

3. Must-have figures as sub exclusive

4. sub figures shipping ONE WEEK early... the two days prior to sale doesn't really work

5. extra heads or weapons only for subscribers

6. include the SDCC exclusive in the sub

Heroic Warrior
    Discounting the sub is the ultimate and most logical reason to subscribe, paying less over the course of a year than just buying day would be the biggest incentive for a sub purchase. Combining shipping in the US for all sub and extra non sub items (purchased on day of sale items) would be nice too.

Plus people keep bringing up "tiered" subscriptions, this won't work as the large scale beasts/multipacks would be eliminated as this sub wouldn't see enough purchased.

Starchild needs some love Morningstar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post

This would:

Amen. Or maybe replace the 4 quaterly variants with the 4 parts of CG

Also:

• 5% of discount in every figure or a free Exclusive figure.
    • Enhance QC.

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawful View Post
    they tried giving us a discount for Battle Cat but it didn't work out too well. it was too difficult to enter in the discount code and beat the WSOD at the same time.

all they have to do is make Castle Grayskull a sub exclusive. if that doesn't increase sub sales, i don't know what will.
    No.

I don't care HOW badly I want Grayskull, I will NOT buy a (couple?) hundred dollars on crap I don't want just to get the "opportunity" to spend another $200-$300 on the Castle.

Sorry. This would fail.

Quote Originally Posted by bianchi5 View Post
    Yes, it is, Big C.
    I probably forgot that because figures take a month to arrive to me, but I guess for the U.S. residents it is a nice perk!
    Bro, I live in the US and my sub has NEVER shipped any sooner that the day AFTER the sale day, and usually it's several days.
    Last edited by Larry Waters; August 23, 2011 at 11:34am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Heroic Eternian Mechanic TechTrek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Invicta View Post
    I still think simple two different type of subscription would have done the deal, as increased cost of the subscription seemed to be an issue according to the forums at least.

So simply offer two types:
    a) Just 12 figures (plus bonus figure).
    b) Everything (plus bonus figure).

the third type would be: option A, with the ability to upgrade the months you wanted to (click for large figure) or something like that.

but yeah. even with just your two options, i would have bought a sub this year.

Its VERY easy ! Sell more what people want.

Here the list for the year 2013.

Jan.: Tung Lashor
    Q1.: Classic Clours single carded Prince Adam

Feb.: Multibot
    Large Scale.: Horde Tropper 2pack

March.: Extendar
    Addionaly Snake Mountain or Castle Grayskull in 3 parts each part around 40-50$ Part1

Apri: Spikor
    Q2: Filmation blue Hordak

May: Squeeze
    Large Scale: Stridor

June: Ninjor
    Addionaly Snake Mountain or Castle Grayskull in 3 parts each part around 40-50$ Part1

July: Eldor
    SDCC Exlclusive: King Grayskulls wife and his Battle Lion

August: Dragstor
    Q3: Alcala Beastman

Sept.: Stondar
    Large Scale: Roton

Oct.: Evil Seed
    Q4: Alcala He-man

Nov.: Modulok

Dec.: Madame Razz her Broom and this little flying thing
    Large Scale: the three Filmation trolans (Uncle Mortok etc.)

-Each Figure comes with Minicomic
    - NO PROBLEM with 2,5$ price increase per figure!

THIS would be a shedule where MATTEL WOULD SELL thousands And THOUSANDS subscriptions

Subscription exclusive > Movie He-man or Skeltor . And one year later the other one

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by cbomb23 View Post

Plus people keep bringing up "tiered" subscriptions, this won't work as the large scale beasts/multipacks would be eliminated as this sub wouldn't see enough purchased.
    So your claim is the following: not enough people want large scale beasts/ multipacks to make them profitable. First, I doubt that this is true, given that many things outside the subscriptions sell decently well. Second, if it is true, shouldn't it follow that things no-one wants to buy should not be produced? I mean, if the majority of fans do not want beasts or multipacks or whatever, and they do not want them to such a degree that those things aren't profitable, why are they being made?

Imagine for a second that Mattel decides to make 50% of the subscription characters meteorbs. And imagine that *no one* wants them. Then imagine there are tiered subscriptions: all-in and everything-but-meteorbs, only the latter of which will anyone buy. Is that a reason to produce only the all-in subscription, so that everyone will be forced to buy 6 figures they don't want out of 12 figures? One would hope not!

Mattel should make things people want. They should not make things that people don't want. And if they do make things that *most* people don't want, then it should be the few people who do want them that shoulder the burden for them, not the rest of us.

I always feel like a hostage-- from Mattel and from the boards-- "you must buy everything, even what neither you nor almost anyone else wants (10 figures a month, POP D-listers, Songster), or else you can't get what everyone wants and would pay for if we didn't produce the other crap". That's no knock against POP D-lister fans, or whoever, but I just fail to see the argument that MOTUC collectors in general should be subsidizing collectors with peculiar, non-popular, and largely non-profitable tastes.

That's what you want

I want those but also Angella, Castaspella, Glimmer, Frosta, Double Trouble, Mermista, Sweet Bee, Peekablue, Entrapta, Netossa, Spinnerella, Perfuma, Flogg, Slish Head, Quakke, Lizarr, Hydron, Darius, Mara, Master Sebrian, Tuskador, Sagittar, Spinwit, Critta, Icer, Sea Hawk, Scorpia, Octavia, Shokoti, Kothos, Lord Masque, Kittrina, Dark Dream, Magestra (heck they have her head via BG Evil-Lyn; just paint it differently), etc.

I wouldn't buy a sub next year if the line were laid out the way you say.

Quote Originally Posted by Merman79 View Post

THIS would be a shedule where MATTEL WOULD SELL thousands And THOUSANDS subscriptions

Subscription exclusive > Movie He-man or Skeltor . And one year later the other one
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

1. More discounts/incentives would definately be a step in the right direction.
    2. Cutting back on SKUs would help too. I used to have 2 subs in 2010 because there would be months I wanted to get multiples of the same figure, but even though I like Sorceress, Fisto, KK, if I want multiples of these 3, I need to buy twice the stuff I don't want so I don't get charged double shipping. Star Sisters x1 is doable, but don't need more than one set. That goes for whatever beasts, quarterly variant, etc. Battlecat, Panthor, Swiftwind all make sense, but at some point, Mattel's just going to be pushing out obscure stuff just for the sake of it.
    3. Combine SKUs? Can Mattel make some of their SKUs interchangeable? 2 quarterly variants=1 beast, 2 beasts=1 CG part?
    4. Variable rate shipping. States like CA have taxes, so add in the $8-9 shipping, No way I'm paying $32 to order 1 figure a month, especially living only a few hours away. Any figure I resell, I'm losing money. Ebay has been the better alternative lately. I'm not about to throw away money just to keep this line afloat.

Here's an idea: How about biannual 6 month subs? 2009 was essentially a partial sub wasn't it? Reveals are already broken up to two main events anyway, SDCC and Toyfair. This would potentially attract those fans who would consider but want to know what they're paying for. SDCC reveals run about Oct-Mar, so the sub could start there. The next sub could be after Toyfair or whenever Mattel makes another big reveal and run from Apr-Aug. There could be an exclusive to each one, maybe not a big-hitter like SW, but interesting quarterly variant or whatever, maybe even a beast (hey, why not?), and would provide another excuse to create another figure slot. I'd think the lower price point of a 6 month sub might be easier to swallow than an entire year. Sure there would be more to manage, but if it could create more sales?
    Last edited by Kero; August 23, 2011 at 02:59pm.
    Successful transactions: Sallah, Herewegoagain, loadzone, layz909e, KingHiss, tattoojunkie74, cyberv, Son of Keldor, He-Ryno, d*r*j*, BrettX209, Black_Arachnis, MC Modulok, Warrior Knight, he-man_fan, Odrakir, Bob-Man, Blue Monkey, H.A.L.9000, DrPAYNE, dago2727, Nefud, TristX, Warmon, jimharnock, and more....

Feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...highlight=Kero

Quote Originally Posted by Merman79 View Post

Good list. I would buy a sub on that, but not liking spending $20+ on a whole figure when all I need is an Alcala head. Sorry no Madam Razz either. Trollans and Gwildor is about the extent of my humor and whimsy in MOTUC Otherwise that list speaks to my vintage sensibilities. Woot!

@bcrduke , i argue that.
    The what you wrote WILL NEVER happen, and the more Mattel would go that way the more would the fans disapointed.

Me and the MOST other fans would prefer YET - those figures.

Whitch sub would most fans prefer and buy?

I say if the lineup goes similar as mine. Nothing else.
    Last edited by Merman79; August 23, 2011 at 03:25pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost