Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 62

Thread: Back to Basics?

  1. #1
    Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    6,142

    Back to Basics?

    All this talk about subs being too expensive and too much product coming out - almost overwhelming some buyers and daunting some new which might consider hopping onboard the ship that is MOTUC - I thought maybe it would cool for MOTUC to sort of go back to basics?

    The line was great in 2009 - still IS - but I remember being so happy and excited for the "1 figure per month" which Matty stated at the start of the project. A simple plan which was totally effective and worked well.

    Don't get me wrong - I want EVERYTHING - and can afford to have it - BUT everyone is different - and I think it would be wise and also make us appreciate the line a bit more if Mattel stripped down a bit?

    I vaguely recall reading something this morning about Toyguru trying to avoid making the same mistakes which ended the vintage line - there was too much product coming out then and it killed the line - maybe this is the right time to make sure history doesn't repeat itself.

    I know I would be totally happy with 12 figures next year or in 2013, plus a few bonus ones here and there and few beasts or multipacks - if a tiered sub system is not an option, maybe this is the way to go?

    What do you guys think???

  2. #2
    Indie Toy Making Mod! markatisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Near Cyclone Nation (Iowa)
    Posts
    22,892
    Oh totally, as much as I bet people will moan and complain about it I think a lot of us were much more at ease with 12 figures.

    Don't get me wrong, I have 2 subs for 2012 and will buy anything they release. But at the same time I am not going to lie that financially and even inventory control wise I prefer the 12 figures with "maybe" 2 bonus figures and a beast/giant/army builder

    IMHO that extends the line further, is more manageable on both sides (and Digital River needs all the help they can get), and allows us to enjoy the figures more.

    I think 12 figures also allows for more diversity, with the amount we get now I think we miss out on cherishing some of the sculpts and impact characters have in the line and story because its on to the next figure.

    There is a simplicity I miss from 2009 and early 2010....for me quality > quantity
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

    Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

  3. #3
    Heroic Warrior Ealo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    928
    i don't mind having just 12 figures a year; that would cover everything i want... apart from Castle Grayskull. that would be ideal, 12 figures plus grayskull in 2013; but it seems they don't feel comfortable with shooting for grayskull unless there's already $800 worth of stuff out to test the waters.

    so while 12 figures a year would leave me happy... it would mean you'd never get to see even a single cornerstone piece for the line.

  4. #4
    Heroic Warrior urbanmyth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,499
    As someone who can afford it all, my excitement with the line has grown with the line's offerings. To scale back may make sense financially but its also going to scale back my excitement.

    If this recent "too much, too expensive" discussion has highlighted anything for me, it's that the 30th anniversary "made-up" character line was a bit unnecessary. Do I need a new character Geof Johns created in grade school? No! Do I need a Castle Grayskull? ABSOLUTELY!

  5. #5
    Our Universe a Sunder! Veebs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    866
    Nah, the diversity of the scope is one of the most important things I have grown to love as the line has gone on. I want characters and shapes and sizes from all over.

    Now, I would TOTALLY support a seperate "monthly figure only" sub because I do think there is a market for it, but I still need my tricked-out Cadillac.

  6. #6
    Heroic Warrior Eternian Poet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,838
    The LIEN is killin teh LIEN!!!!
    ***
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

  7. #7
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,459
    I'm ok with more than twelve but wouldn't worry if they eased off on beasts and giants.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

  8. #8
    Master of Eternian Lore Chroniklor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    727
    Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Magic Hat View Post
    All this talk about subs being too expensive and too much product coming out - almost overwhelming some buyers and daunting some new which might consider hopping onboard the ship that is MOTUC - I thought maybe it would cool for MOTUC to sort of go back to basics?

    The line was great in 2009 - still IS - but I remember being so happy and excited for the "1 figure per month" which Matty stated at the start of the project. A simple plan which was totally effective and worked well.

    Don't get me wrong - I want EVERYTHING - and can afford to have it - BUT everyone is different - and I think it would be wise and also make us appreciate the line a bit more if Mattel stripped down a bit?

    I vaguely recall reading something this morning about Toyguru trying to avoid making the same mistakes which ended the vintage line - there was too much product coming out then and it killed the line - maybe this is the right time to make sure history doesn't repeat itself.

    I know I would be totally happy with 12 figures next year or in 2013, plus a few bonus ones here and there and few beasts or multipacks - if a tiered sub system is not an option, maybe this is the way to go?

    What do you guys think???
    I fully agree! I love the entire line, I love the fact that we get figures never released before etc., etc. But I would like to see it continue for a long, long time. I think less might be more!
    Chroniklor, the Heroic Keeper of Eternian Myths, Legends and Lore.

  9. #9
    Ravage ThunderCat blackiecats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    7,935
    I still think they could do the 12 monthly figures/sub figure and Castle Grayskull in 2013. Leave it at just that.

  10. #10
    Heroic Warrior Neil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Canterbury, UK
    Posts
    882
    On the whole, I'm fairly patient and I could stomach 12 figures per year if I thought the line could be maintained long enough for all the characters to be released. The problem that I would have with going back to 2009 levels of production is that I just wouldn't get my MOTUC Too-Tall Hoove.

    I agree with urbanmyth. My excitement has grown as the line has grown. I don't want to see it any smaller. Not now. I want the beasts and the vehicles. Forget Castle Grayskull for a minute, I want Point Dread. Maybe I'm just greedy, but I don't want to turn the clock back.

  11. #11
    Heroic Warrior Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Springfield, IL
    Posts
    4,934
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    The LIEN is killin teh LIEN!!!!


    While I LOVE having so many He-Man toys, I will agree that I think it's in most everyone's best interest, and the line itself, if it's lowered back to 12 monthly figures and the one subscription bonus.

    Getting the extras is cool, but it's getting very expensive for folks. I still feel that is the reason the subscription sales have been so low this year. It's not neccesarily that folks don't want the toys. They just don't know if they can commit that much money and buy everything.

    It might be good for the the collectors and the longevity of the line if 2013 is back to the basic 12 monthly figures.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/c/Pixel-Dan

  12. #12
    Council Elder Tallstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    In support of Joe Amato & the Meteorbs
    Posts
    28,504
    In my opinion, they should reduce the overall cost of the figures by getting rid of the packaging and white mailer box. I would be perfectly fine if the regular figures came in a baggie with a cardboard header stapled onto it. They could still do a bio on the back of it. Plus there would be no stress to any of the joints or even rubber bands to deal with.

  13. #13
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    408
    Quote Originally Posted by blackiecats View Post
    I still think they could do the 12 monthly figures/sub figure and Castle Grayskull in 2013. Leave it at just that.
    Yeah! That would amazing!

    Or 12 monthly figures, 3 bonus figures and one large Beast or Vehicle!

  14. #14
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    East Brunswick, NJ
    Posts
    91
    I'm really grateful this thread has been posted.

    I personally *want* to have everything and I started off this line as an all-in guy. But the job market is terrible. I'm an academic and I'm now working part-time because I couldn't secure a full-time job this year. As soon as I have a full time job, I'll get the subscription-- or, as soon as the subscription is back to one figure per month, I'll get it-- but I cannot afford some of the months for the subscription line. I was a subscriber for the first subscription, but not the second and not this third.

    I hate the threads where people say "If you didn't subscribe, you can't complain about X" for X = for example, no Castle Greyskull. Give me a *chance* and I'll buy everything. But if you sandwich it so close together, I can't, quite literally. It's not a failing in my fandom, just a failing in my ability to pay for things. I feel like the line has "amped up" and is now more geared toward those with highly elastic disposable incomes, which is great if that's what'll keep it going. Though if a large portion of the fanbase is like me, this is not the way to go. So I'll keep making my case, and hoping others are like me and make a similar case. I'm happy "bowing out" of MOTUC if it winds up that most collectors aren't like me and want lots of stuff real soon, but in my own situation that's non-ideal.

  15. #15
    Heroic Warrior Eternian Poet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    In my opinion, they should reduce the overall cost of the figures by getting rid of the packaging and white mailer box. I would be perfectly fine if the regular figures came in a baggie with a cardboard header stapled onto it. They could still do a bio on the back of it. Plus there would be no stress to any of the joints or even rubber bands to deal with.
    But then the figs wouldn't look good in the stores!

    Um...

    Regardless, your idea is too easy.
    ***
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

  16. #16
    Heroic Warrior cobz1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    128
    I like the way the sub is now since I want everything. But a lot of people are on a tight budget, so

    If Mattel can give us an Add-on for the 30th Anniversary figures, why not offer us a basic sub and give people the option of adding on the beasts and over size figures?

    Give people an option of shipping subs together or separately...
    Stop shipping subs early, ship after the sale day allowing people to combine shipping with items purchased out of the sub...

    Come on Mattel I love this line, I want it to last to the end. help us help you.


    Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    I said in one of the other threads that I would totally be okay with, in 2013, if they just scaled it all back to just 12 monthly figures, and dropped all the other SKUs, but replaced them instead with a Castle Grayskull in the 4th quarter of that year.
    But honestly, at this point, running out of space and money = being completely content if the line trickles down to just 6" figures (and smaller sidekicks) instead of going house on large $80 dragons and overpriced giants, etc. After 2012 comes and goes, maybe less is more?
    *Face Palm*
    Last edited by cobz1976; August 23, 2011 at 01:23pm.

  17. #17
    Heroic Warrior Tundra_Torque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Aberdeen, NC
    Posts
    1,656
    I have to agree with a lot of the posts that came before this. The 12 figures a year, plus the sub figure, is more streamlined and simple.

    I love everything that has come out so far and I can afford to purchase an "all-in" sub.

    But, I still want to beasts, army builders, vehicles, and variants. What if there were 4 annual bonus slots and divide these 4 slots into beasts, army builders, and vehicles instead of the way that it's done now - 4 beasts, 4 variants, etc?
    This way a little bit of variety is included, but it will keep down the cost...

  18. #18
    Heroic Warrior THINKOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    171
    Excellent thread, thanks for posting it.

    While I love everything MOTU (Classic, NA, POP) and will buy basically anything branded "Classics" (yes, including the Warrior in Yellow Who Participated in... ) , I simply can not afford all the items they chunk every year. That is way I can not commit to subscription, although I want to. Thus, I would support the line scaling back a bit. As others have suggested before, perhaps going back to 12 monthly figures plus 1 or max 2 extra items per year ala army builder 2 pack/vehicle or a large beast.
    Evil Master of Thinking!

  19. #19
    Guardian of Grayskull zodak74's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Point Dread
    Posts
    13,379
    I said in one of the other threads that I would totally be okay with, in 2013, if they just scaled it all back to just 12 monthly figures, and dropped all the other SKUs, but replaced them instead with a Castle Grayskull in the 4th quarter of that year.
    But honestly, at this point, running out of space and money = being completely content if the line trickles down to just 6" figures (and smaller sidekicks) instead of going house on large $80 dragons and overpriced giants, etc. After 2012 comes and goes, maybe less is more?

  20. #20
    Chillin' He-Man54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Posts
    982
    Quote Originally Posted by Squidish Tex View Post
    I'm really grateful this thread has been posted.

    I personally *want* to have everything and I started off this line as an all-in guy. But the job market is terrible. I'm an academic and I'm now working part-time because I couldn't secure a full-time job this year. As soon as I have a full time job, I'll get the subscription-- or, as soon as the subscription is back to one figure per month, I'll get it-- but I cannot afford some of the months for the subscription line. I was a subscriber for the first subscription, but not the second and not this third.

    I hate the threads where people say "If you didn't subscribe, you can't complain about X" for X = for example, no Castle Greyskull. Give me a *chance* and I'll buy everything. But if you sandwich it so close together, I can't, quite literally. It's not a failing in my fandom, just a failing in my ability to pay for things. I feel like the line has "amped up" and is now more geared toward those with highly elastic disposable incomes, which is great if that's what'll keep it going. Though if a large portion of the fanbase is like me, this is not the way to go. So I'll keep making my case, and hoping others are like me and make a similar case. I'm happy "bowing out" of MOTUC if it winds up that most collectors aren't like me and want lots of stuff real soon, but in my own situation that's non-ideal.

    I'm pretty much in the same boat. While I would LOVE to have every single item released in MOTUC, realistically it's just not feasible for me financially. If we had a sub option to only include the 12 monthly figures, even if it meant not getting the sub exclusive, I'd be all over that. $30 or so a month I can swing, but when you get into a month with multiple releases, it's just not doable for me.

    I know Toyguru had said before about the unlikelihood of tiered subs, but I think at the rate the line is growing that it really is something they should look into. Maybe an "all in" sub in which you get every new figure/beast/variant etc. as well as the sub exclusive figure and map. Then you could also have a "monthly figure" subscription that would include only the monthly figure and the sub incentive for this tier would be only the map. Just a thought.

  21. #21
    Heroic Warrior Ealo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    After 2012 comes and goes, maybe less is more?
    One thing is for sure, SDCC 2012 30th anniversary is going to be anti-climatic now.

  22. #22
    Heroic Warrior Faker78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Italia
    Posts
    1,549
    I also think you should go to some sources, 12 figures a year with some double output. The problem with many releases is also the space in the home is closing, but this discourages many fans.
    My motto is: less is more!

  23. #23
    Indie Toy Making Mod! markatisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Near Cyclone Nation (Iowa)
    Posts
    22,892
    Quote Originally Posted by Ealo View Post
    One thing is for sure, SDCC 2012 30th anniversary is going to be anti-climatic now.
    Or so you assume, if MOTUC has taught me anything its that we will never know what to expect.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

    Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

  24. #24
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,387
    12 figures + the sub bonus would be a $260.00 commitment for the year. I think I figured out that buying everything in 2010 was a $424.00 commitment.

    2011 was $470.00 for the sub plus $12 for the rack $20 for BP She-Ra and $40.00 for the Wind Raider for a total of $542 + shipping.

    Buying everything in 2012 requires $510.00 for the sub plus $120.00 for the 30th anniversary line plus $80 for Granymyr for a grand total of $710.00 plus shipping. And I may be forgetting some stuff.

    But that's too much too fast. I would be pleased if 2013 came in somewhere between $260.00 and $400.00.

  25. #25
    Indie Toy Making Mod! markatisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Near Cyclone Nation (Iowa)
    Posts
    22,892
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Man54 View Post
    I know Toyguru had said before about the unlikelihood of tiered subs, but I think at the rate the line is growing that it really is something they should look into. Maybe an "all in" sub in which you get every new figure/beast/variant etc. as well as the sub exclusive figure and map. Then you could also have a "monthly figure" subscription that would include only the monthly figure and the sub incentive for this tier would be only the map. Just a thought.
    People are not realizing its more than just Scott and Mattel involved with a tiered system.

    Digital River plays a huge factor in this, you offer a tiered system and its just another set of skus that they have to manage and ship.

    3 years in and I think we can say with confidence the less they have to manage the better
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

    Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •