Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Mattel Talks Battleground Evil-Lyn: The Inspiration Behind The Design

Mattel Talks Battleground Evil-Lyn: The Inspiration Behind The Design

Posted on Facebook.

He-Fans and She-Ravers,

Ever since we announced the new version of Evil Lyn coming out this fall, their has been a lot of questions over her design and look. To understand this better we went straight to the mouth – the Four Horsemen’s mouth that is. We talked with them and Terry Higuchi from Mattel design to understand the inspiration for this new version of Evil Lyn.

TERRY: Part of the feel and look of the vintage MOTU line has always been the strategic use of shared parts (Stinkor and Mer-Man anyone?). To help capture that feel in MOTUC, we very deliberately use shared parts in MOTUC even when sometimes a new part could be called for. Bow and Optikk are both great example of this. It is part of the look and feel of the brand.

FOUR HORSEMEN: When designing Battleground Evil Lyn, we used a combination of new parts (new head, cape) along with thought-out reuse parts (tunic, Catra hand) to capture the charm and nostalgia that reuse parts evoke uniquely with MOTU. While we are always trying to go the extra mile for fans, sometimes our efforts do not jive with what the fan base is looking for (She-Ra 1.0's mask attachment, Space Explorer Marlena in Green are good examples).

Fans have also asked why the new 2.0 female buck was not used for Evil Lyn. At the time this figure was being sculpted the 2.0 body was not developed yet. We knew that it was coming, but it didn't exist for us to work off of. With this in mind we felt that it would be better to go with this simpler version rather than sink a lot of tooling into a version that didn't have waist articulation, better hip function, etc. If we used up the tooling now, it may have killed the chance to do a version that 100% satisfies all of the fan requests. Now that the 2.0 body has been created and worked into the line, the door is open to do this version in the future.

TERRY: Clearly fans are looking for more new parts on a grey skinned Evil Lyn. We will certainly take this into account when looking at future variants of the evil warrior goddess. There are lots of ways we can update her down the road and just as we did a She-Ra 2.0 and multiple versions of He-Man, Evil Lyn is clearly a popular enough character to warrant multiple versions.While we do not have another version of Evil Lyn on the books anytime in the immediate future, don't count her down for the count. She could very well be back when you least expect it!

------

Hope that cleared up some design choices and we can't wait to see what the Horsemen are working on next!

See you all at Power Con on Sept 24th and 25th!

Matty

Sweet! We may have Teen Rebellion Evil-Lyn (aka Rebe-Lyn) yet!
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

I welcome any figure and though alot feel they want an Evil-lynn even closer to the 200x version, I am satisfied with the one we are getting. It is good they are still envisioning another go at her somewhere down the road.
    Could we get some Meteorbs, Please???!!!

Evil Witch of Metternia Met-Hild's Avatar
    The comment about not having the 2.0 buck available seems to hint she was intended to be released earlier but pushed back for some reason. So the question is, why did they decide to release her this way so much after Battleground Teela? Had they decided to make Bubble Power She-Ra the quarterly variant instead of BG Evil-Lyn, a better Evil-Lyn could have been released later with the 2.0 buck and a newly tooled dress.

The only reason for this I can think of is money. But what exactly was that money sank on that kept them from changing BG Evil-Lyn?
    The artist formerly known as Mechthild

Please check out my MOTU revision fan art, and fan fiction: Metternia bios and history & myths.

Now also on DeviantArt: http://osmatar.deviantart.com/

Awesome explanation.

Now can we please talk about Swifty's mane and collar?

Clearly fans are looking for more new parts on a grey skinned Evil Lyn.
    Yeah, gee, if only fans had said that over and over again so that someone at Mattel would know! But hey, look what we have here now, demand for another variant. Gosh!

Picture caption from the post quoted in the opening post:

Battleground Evil Lyn, available November 2011 only on Mattycollector.com (note she will have turning articulated wrist guards, an additional helmet-less head and a second swapable orb piece for her staff that glows in the dark!)
    Glow in the dark orb piece - nice, I love GID stuff!

- Joni -
    "My grandfather had a saying: 'Good news can wait. Bad news will refuse to leave.'" - Commander Susan Ivanova (Babylon 5)

Admin @ The Great Rebellion - Collector's Club
    Join our community at:
    The Great Rebellion - Collector's Club

* My MOTU memories
    * My MOTU collection images

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

TERRY: Part of the feel and look of the vintage MOTU line has always been the strategic use of shared parts (Stinkor and Mer-Man anyone?). To help capture that feel in MOTUC, we very deliberately use shared parts in MOTUC even when sometimes a new part could be called for. Bow and Optikk are both great example of this. It is part of the look and feel of the brand.
    I don't like this explanation for this character. Especially if we specifically wanted 200X Lyn because she WASN'T wearing the Teela leotard. This is like giving Catra or Adora the Teela leotard.

At least we know that they can try again on Evil-Lyn.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

What I don't get is... if...

"Fans have also asked why the new 2.0 female buck was not used for Evil Lyn. At the time this figure was being sculpted the 2.0 body was not developed yet. We knew that it was coming, but it didn't exist for us to work off of. With this in mind we felt that it would be better to go with this simpler version rather than sink a lot of tooling into a version that didn't have waist articulation, better hip function, etc. If we used up the tooling now, it may have killed the chance to do a version that 100% satisfies all of the fan requests. Now that the 2.0 body has been created and worked into the line, the door is open to do this version in the future."

...why did they bother doing a Battleground Evil-Lyn at all at that particular point in time with such limitations, instead of just waiting another year or so, and giving us the ultimate BG Evil-Lyn done right the first time out? I mean, surely a variant like Dragon Blaster Skeletor could have been done in BG Evil-Lyn's place... but... whatev. They're going to do a third version of her and we're all going to buy it anyways... so...

Even with shared parts, she looks great in that pic.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    TBH I totally "got" what Mattel were intending with this version when I first saw her unveiled - I've been proved right - it was to evoke the re-use of the vintage line - and I'm totally kewl with that.

I actually think this Evil-Lyn looks stunning in this purple/pink decco and outfit. I cannot wait to add her to my collection.

BTW - I'm sure 200X Evil-Lyn will be well worth the wait - since she will have a waist twist and additional tooling.

good stuff!

As expected, as pathetic answer.

Four Horsemen wrote:
    While we are always trying to go the extra mile for fans, sometimes our efforts do not jive with what the fan base is looking for
    You knew what we wanted with this variant for almost two years now. You gave us a repaint over those requests. You failed. Miserably, I might add.

Fans have also asked why the new 2.0 female buck was not used for Evil Lyn. At the time this figure was being sculpted the 2.0 body was not developed yet.
    Why was She-Ra 2.0 not put into the quarterly variant slot? She has more new tooling than this repaint that we are getting.

Terry wrote:

Clearly fans are looking for more new parts on a grey skinned Evil Lyn.
    Not new parts. NEW DRESS THAT ISN'T THE BLASTED TEELA DRESS. Unless it's on a Teela variant, I never want to have to re-buy that damn Teela dress again.

And what in the name of heaven is a "Grey skinned Evil Lyn"? I can only hope he is referring to the Caucasian/white non-Simpson Evil Lyn. Grey skinned? What?

We will certainly take this into account when looking at future variants of the evil warrior goddess.
    What, the last year and half of requests wasn't enough for you to already take it into account?

While we do not have another version of Evil Lyn on the books anytime in the immediate future, don't count her down for the count.
    Fail. Utter failure. You screwed up and this should be fixed ASAP. Not two or three years from now. She should be put out as soon as possible.

She could very well be back when you least expect it!
    In the mean time enjoy the repaint we screwed you chumps into buying!! Suckers!!
    Last edited by Thrawn29; August 23, 2011 at 04:33pm.

HD figures on youtube
    My god that figure is beautiful. The PERFECT Evil-Lyn for me.

Quote Originally Posted by BCreviews4628 View Post
    I think I have to agree - perfect mix of old and new - she looks frighteningly Evil

Evil Witch of Metternia Met-Hild's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Magic Hat View Post
    she looks frighteningly Evil
    It's the reuse of the Teela dress.

Oh wait, you mean a different kind of evil!
    The artist formerly known as Mechthild

Please check out my MOTU revision fan art, and fan fiction: Metternia bios and history & myths.

Now also on DeviantArt: http://osmatar.deviantart.com/

Evil Horde Poison Master! Mr_Yuck's Avatar
    I think the figure looks PHENOMENAL. My only gripe is that it looks like we won't get the option of displaying her crystal as a wand instead of a staff. Overall though, I'm very pleased with the figure.

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    *facepalm*

Yeah, why bother doing a crappy version now, rather than making BPSR the variant?

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn29 View Post
    And what in the name of heaven is a "Grey skinned Evil Lyn"? I can only hope he is referring to the Caucasian/white non-Simpson Evil Lyn. Grey skinned? What?
    MYP-Lyn is, indeed, grey-skinned. And Filmation-Lyn is Asian (although there were some colouring errors of her as caucasian here & there, including in the scene where she takes off her helmet.) No version of her is actually causcasian/white.

She looks stunning, so yes, she is wearing the same leotard but hell, itīs such a cool leotard, i donīt mind seeing it repainted, the colors are great the cape is cool the hand is fun and the helmetless head looked great on the SDCC pictures.

Me is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by BCreviews4628 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Magic Hat View Post
    I think I have to agree - perfect mix of old and new - she looks frighteningly Evil
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Yuck View Post
    I think the figure looks PHENOMENAL. My only gripe is that it looks like we won't get the option of displaying her crystal as a wand instead of a staff. Overall though, I'm very pleased with the figure.
    Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    Even with shared parts, she looks great in that pic.
    Glad I am not the only one that LOVES this figure, yes it would be cool to have a new tunic, but when I look at that figure, I just think wow what a paint job and the helmet-less head is amazing.
    the ignore list is my new best friend

If I read between the lines, I'd dare guess that there simply wasn't enough budget available to produce that particular figure with an entirely new suit.
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

Quote Originally Posted by Met-Hild View Post
    It's the reuse of the Teela dress.

Oh wait, you mean a different kind of evil!
    Har Har

Quote Originally Posted by fball13z View Post
    Glad I am not the only one that LOVES this figure, yes it would be cool to have a new tunic, but when I look at that figure, I just think wow what a paint job and the helmet-less head is amazing.
    I've seen people call this figure an epic fail or evidence that the Horsemen have lost their enthusiasm for the line and it's hilarious. Look how stunning she looks.

She's an exquisite figure.

They went ahead with her because they know they can make and sell another version later.

This figure is almost pure profit for them. Her cape is likely tooled primarily for someone else (Shokoti? The Enchantress? Illumina? Who knows?), and the only new part other than that is the helmet-less head.

I love her.

She looks awesome.

We will get the other one. Don't worry.

And I think they added BP She-Ra as an extra because they know she will sell in multiples. That will just boost their fourth quarter sales for this line.

I expect every fourth quarter to be heavy on releases.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

thats crap they did She-Ra 2.0 on the new buck. damn i hate this fig

the King needs his Queen and pet! Queen Veena and Battle Lion for MOTUC!

For the Love of Illumina & her Cat Sleetah!!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/156251727799742/
    my Feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205099
    my sale page http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205041

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    MYP-Lyn is, indeed, grey-skinned. And Filmation-Lyn is Asian.No version of her is actually causcasian/white.
    After seeing this repaint, when they say grey skinned Evil Lyn, I imagine the next Evil Lyn variant (if it ever materializes) to have grey skin like Hordak. It worries me when they say that after we got nothing more than repaint after nearly two years of fan requests.