Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mattel Talks Battleground Evil-Lyn: The Inspiration Behind The Design

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Sorceress View Post
    arms legs and body is one thing but the same dress over and over and over and over is a little much
    Perhaps they needed a few figures to perform well in the fourth quarter. It would make sense to pick a character that could be mostly re-used parts because it keeps the production cost down and she will still sell well. It's a business, not a charity.

No one seems to care about the furry loincloth and belt getting used over and over and over. It's a leotard. In my opinion, the repaints make them look distinctive enough. Only three characters have worn them. The Goddess exists in the MOTUC form because the line was still new and they were attempting to earn high off that all new buck in the fall of '09. It was an attempt to double the profits from that mold and show the big wigs that the toyline was doing well. If the Sorceress was wearing it, it would be a different story. But Evil Lyn was already established (in classic MOTU) as wearing the exact same leotard, repainted. So they repainted it again (better, this time). Big deal!
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

i want them to keep on using shared parts; it is already part of the character of the line, if u take it out now it will look odd.

having said that, i am not sure why they would push ahead with a compromised version of a figure (since you say you did want new tooling) when you could have just swapped evil lyn for some other female variant or 200x variant, so she would have come later. so what is this evil lyn then? if she's not 200x variant then she just seems to amount to a random mash up of ideas.

if you were adamant that this was the 200x evil lyn and how you wanted it to be, then i'd accept it; but i'm really not happy with a 'in the mean time' figure (you could have given me Artilla!!! *shakes fist at the moon*).

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Mark Taylor head? whats that

Also, the original Teela concept didn't wear the exact same outfit as Evil-Lyn.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAdam101 View Post
    It is common knowledge the the use of shared parts is a big selling point for this (still) small toyline to exist. Instead of fighting it, they embrace it as part of the nostalgic "classic style". The shared parts aspect is a necessary evil. We need to embrace it, as well. We can't have our cake and eat it, too. And geez, we're getting lots of sweets as is!
    The thing is, we were told when quarterly variants were to be a part of the sub that ALL quarterly variants would have as many new pieces as a regular figure. The amount of new pieces on a regular figure is 4. Evil-Lyn has two: alternate head and cape. This rule was put into place when people feared all variants would be mere repaints. Fears have been realized and they did not hold true to the terms of the quarterly figures in the sub, which is pretty darn nasty. They should have an "opt out" option for her because of that...or swap her with Bubble Power She-Ra. She-Ra fits the requirements of a quarterly variant. Hell, she EXCEEDS them!
    Last edited by Darkspecter; August 23, 2011 at 08:29pm.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Still love this figure. People who don't like it can vote with their wallets. It'll be interesting to see if this figure actually lasts a long time after all the complaints... although to be honest so many of the same people have been posting about it over and over it's hard to really get a sense of how many people are actually unhappy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    http://www.grayskullmuseum.com/conce...esstaylor2.jpg

The thing is, we were told when quarterly variants were to be a part of the sub that ALL quarterly variants would have as many new pieces as a regular figure. The amount of new pieces on a regular figure is 4. Evil-Lyn has two: alternate head and cape. This rule was put into place when people feared all variants would be mere repaints. Fears have been realized and they did not hold true to the terms of the quarterly figures in the sub, which is pretty darn nasty. They should have an "opt out" option for her because of that...or swap her with Bubble Power She-Ra. She-Ra fits the requirements of a quarterly variant. Hell, she EXCEEDS them!
    Maybe they needed to go less expensive in the fourth quarter, and he had to go back on his word because it's business. I don't think it's a big deal. Two new pieces instead of four. I didn't even realize the body was a repaint until everyone starting talking about it. She looks amazing.
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

Dewd, this is just too complex for Mattel to understand.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Still love this figure. People who don't like it can vote with their wallets. It'll be interesting to see if this figure actually lasts a long time after all the complaints... although to be honest so many of the same people have been posting about it over and over it's hard to really get a sense of how many people are actually unhappy with it.
    we CAN'T "vote with their wallets" most of us HAVE to get this fig so we can't skip it no matter how much we hate despise and loath it

http://www.grayskullmuseum.com/conce...esstaylor2.jpg

http://www.grayskullmuseum.com/conce...aletaylor2.jpg

ohhh wow that helmet rocks
    Last edited by Dark Sorceress; August 23, 2011 at 08:43pm.

the King needs his Queen and pet! Queen Veena and Battle Lion for MOTUC!

For the Love of Illumina & her Cat Sleetah!!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/156251727799742/
    my Feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205099
    my sale page http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205041

How I love to stare at prototype pictures, they are beautifully painted!

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Agreed, but the love can be seen in this thread. Once you skip over the editorials from the usual suspects about how it's ruined their lives, we can see this is a figure many seem to appreciate.

She looks awesome, can't wait. And while I appreciate the explanation, I don't feel they owed us much of one.

and how do we "vote with their wallets" most of us HAVE to get this fig so we can't skip it no matter how much we hate despise and loath it
    I was talking about day-of sell-out times. People who have subs only buy then if they want an extra for some reason. What I was saying was that, if this is the disaster that some would have all of us believe then it should stick around a lot longer on MattyCollector. If she sells out in about the same amount of time, then the people who loathe her are just a vocal minority.

And I have no clue how the majority of people feel any more. I know I myself have tried to stay out of the seemingly never-ending dumping on this figure for the most part. People are free to speak their minds, of course. As many times as they like. But I think the "conversation" can be one-sided and make it seem like there are more people who are negative about it only because those who do like her have given up and moved on.

AHEM

If Toyguru had the bios all planned out since Stratos, then how....

...does BGTeela, a "fan requested character", who no-one at Mattel seems to know was going to be "demanded"...

...suddenly appear in the line AND with such an Eternia-shattering bio (i.e. Sorceress dies)???

Can anyone work this out? Either - she wasn't fan demanded (Mattel had it planned) or the bios aren't all planned out (as claimed).

Could this also mean that Battleground Evil-Lyn is also a character than just got squeezed into the line (let's face it - she doesn't look like any other version of Evil-Lyn) along with yet another Eternia-shattering bio (motherhood! loss of power!)?

WELL!?
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    AHEM

If Toyguru had the bios all planned out since Stratos, then how....

...does BGTeela, a "fan requested character", who no-one at Mattel seems to know was going to be "demanded"...

...suddenly appear in the line AND with such an Eternia-shattering bio (i.e. Sorceress dies)???

Can anyone work this out? Either - she wasn't fan demanded (Mattel had it planned) or the bios aren't all planned out (as claimed).

Could this also mean that Battleground Evil-Lyn is also a character than just got squeezed into the line (let's face it - she doesn't look like any other version of Evil-Lyn) along with yet another Eternia-shattering bio (motherhood! loss of power!)?

WELL!?
    I always assumed he meant the main characters. When they wrote the bios, I don't think they even knew they were going to do the variant figures, right? That came later.

sigh, the hate from a few people on this figure over and over and over, gets really old.

Sing a new song, please, I am begging.
    the ignore list is my new best friend

Heroic Warrior
    I'll just mention 2 things :

1) Re-use of Teela's tunic (hard or soft plastic ? That is yet to be seen) although they KNEW people wanted something closer to the MYP look

2) RE-USE OF CATRA'S LEFT HAND (YES, THE DAMN' SQUISHY HAND, PROBABLY !)

Although the paint scheme id very neat on BG Evil-Lyn (we still have to find out if the mass produced version has the same paint apps or will look cheaper), I'm really not sure I'll buy her. Spending so much money for just for the cape and the head with no helmet is a bit expensive, in my opinion...

And should I buy this version, I won't buy any other version of Lyn afterwards.

STILL, there's a risk : knowing Mattel's scandalous tactics and policies, if BG Evil Lyn doesn't sell enough (or quick enough), they'll probably use that excuse for not releasing other MYP-inspired figures (200x Hssss etc.)...
    Last edited by Prahvus; August 23, 2011 at 09:42pm.

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post
    STILL, there's a risk : knowing Mattel's scandalous tactics and policies, if BG Evil Lyn doesn't sell enough (or quick enough), they'll probably use that excuse for not releasing other MYP-inspired figures (200x Hssss etc.)...
    Well, if this is their benchmark for "MYP-inspired"...

Heroic Warrior
    Well, if this is their benchmark for "MYP-inspired"...
    I know ! Nevertheless, I feel another Mattel "scare tactic" behind BG Evil-Lyn...

Filmation Evil-Lyn would be perfect for me. Better yet, Filmation Evil-Lyn who transforms into Majestra would be phenomenal!

Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post
    I know ! Nevertheless, I feel another Mattel "scare tactic" behind BG Evil-Lyn...
    Look, they know full well why a lot of people don't like BGEL - they wouldn't be making statements like this if they didn't! If they read anything else into a slow sale of BGEL, then they would find a reason not to do more "MYP-inspired" figures even if it was a two-minute sellout.

OTOH, if she sells out quickly, yer "200X Hsss" will be the existing Hsss with a green face, gold helmet and a bit of extra paint!

Quote Originally Posted by superheman View Post
    Filmation Evil-Lyn would be perfect for me. Better yet, Filmation Evil-Lyn who transforms into Majestra would be phenomenal!
    Uh... that's basically impossible. Different skin colour, head, boots, clothes... Essentially, you're talking about a two-pack's worth of bits to achieve that.

Quote Originally Posted by superheman View Post
    who is Majestra?

who is Majestra?
    EL's disguise from HM: "The Shaping Staff".

oh cool like the 2000x siren

Evil & armed for combat TJRules's Avatar
    It IS kind of suspicious that they didn't use the 2.0 buck, when they used it with She-Ra 2.0.

Just wondering what the THIRD fricking figure on this line will look like. Sheeesh. Even He-Man and Skeletor didn't get the repaint that EL has gotten. (I'm not talking about variants, )

They should rename the line: "MOTUCEL"

Don't get me wrong, I like the fig - it's just that if you're gonna do it, do it RIGHT.
    Support Green Mini-Comic Trap Jaw in MOTUC!

Land Shark in MOTUC!!!!!! Do it Mattel!!! Do it NOW!!!!

Support The Power & Honor Foundation

Power-Con/ThunderCon

oh cool like the 2000x siren
    Wouldn't be a hard figure to do either - yeah, need a new head, dress* and staff, but the arms, legs, collar & cape basically exist. (*yeah, reluctance to do a new dress is how we ended up in this mess to start with)

Before they made Shadow Weaver one, it's the sort of curio I would have expected them to do as the sub exclusive - nice design, but as a fairly obscure "disguse" variant it's never likely to be shouted for.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Has anyone considered that the toyline may need a few figures that are inexpensive and sell well so that their performance can justify greater things?
    Clamp Champ wasn't available? He's head and weapon. There you go.

No one seems to care about the furry loincloth and belt getting used over and over and over. It's a leotard. In my opinion, the repaints make them look distinctive enough. Only three characters have worn them. The Goddess exists in the MOTUC form because the line was still new and they were attempting to earn high off that all new buck in the fall of '09. It was an attempt to double the profits from that mold and show the big wigs that the toyline was doing well. If the Sorceress was wearing it, it would be a different story. But Evil Lyn was already established (in classic MOTU) as wearing the exact same leotard, repainted. So they repainted it again (better, this time). Big deal!
    It IS a big deal for the fans who asked for 200X Evil-Lyn. 200X Evil-Lyn was specifically asked for because she wasn't wearing Teela's leotard. It's like asking for the smaller Prince Adam from MYP and getting the regular vintage Adam.

The difference between the same loincloths and the same leotard is that the leotard is the entire torso. At least the upper torso on the male characters are mostly all different armors/capes/vines.

It's comparable to many of the vintage males having the same He-Man body and harness from the neck down.

Quote Originally Posted by fball13z View Post
    sigh, the hate from a few people on this figure over and over and over, gets really old.

Sing a new song, please, I am begging.
    Had Mattel made BGEL right, we would be singing the song you'd like to hear.

Is it the fans' fault that Mattel screwed up a pretty simple concept to get right?
    Mattel brought it up with this message. You KNEW how the 200X fans were going to react before you clicked on the thread.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; August 23, 2011 at 11:25pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

I like BG EL. I hope the next version is a younger Lyn, and bonus points to the gang at Mattel if she has parts that allow her to become the MYP/200X Lyn!
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTU Minis 2015!!!