Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Mattel Talks Battleground Evil-Lyn: The Inspiration Behind The Design

Quote Originally Posted by Slayor View Post
    Say what now? If she has articulated wrist guards, then wouldn't that be additional tooling money used? Did anyone ask for this? It seems like a waste of tooling dollars.
    Actually, if she does indeed have new articulated wrist guards, then that actually might be a smart use of tooling dollars in the future. It means that there is now a new female lower arm part that can have any different bracelet set attached to it. The POP characters have mostly unique bracelets. Creating the first half of the lower arm saves a lot of money, and now only the bracelet piece has to be sculpted with each new female. It's kinda' like they do shin gaurds/boots on the male figures as a separate piece from the upper calve that connects to the knee - and how we got a new upper furry calve piece for King Carnivus, since He-Ro's was a human's and Beastman didn't wear boots, so there was no need for a cut at that point in the lower leg.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fball13z View Post
    Oh for god's sake, man these boards are getting so old, its making me regret spending all the money on the trip to power-con.

Nothing against you personally buddy, but the negative comments over and over and over just get old.

I look at my MOTUC collection every single day and I can not remember getting angry or upset about 1 thing, sure they things I want and maybe things I would have liked a little different.

But nothing that deserves all the hate that a lot of fans here are spitting out.

People need to look out of their windows and see the world is in a pretty crappy spot right now and these toys are nothing compared to the real issues most of us deal with in real life.

Just enjoy them for what they are.
    fball, if you're upset by negativity, this is one hell of a thread to keep coming into. The fans who originally asked for BGEL are upset and rightly so--they asked Mattel for a specific look and now they have to spend another $30 in the future to get the figure that they should have gotten in November. I imagine that fans would be pretty upset if Mattel somehow ran out of tooling for Ram Man, but still put him out and said that they would do him all over again in the future.

Maybe you should make a protected BGEL support thread, if you want nothing but positive posts.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

I really don't know what some fans were expecting.

Back when the possibility of 200X variants was first discussed, I already got a distinct feeling that a "200x" Evil-Lyn was going to end up a repaint.
    People didn't believe me, of course, but taking into consideration what Mattel said about 200X He-Man and Hordak, the repaint makes absolute sense.

Too bad fans were more busy getting there hopes up for something, that wasn't likely going to happen.
    Fictional characters are just that. Fictional. They have no personality or free will of their own.
    Writers and editors mold them to their own wants and needs.
    All we as the audience and fans can do is pick and choose our favorite interpretation and ignore the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    fball, if you're upset by negativity, this is one hell of a thread to keep coming into. The fans who originally asked for BGEL are upset and rightly so--they asked Mattel for a specific look and now they have to spend another $30 in the future to get the figure that they should have gotten in November. I imagine that fans would be pretty upset if Mattel somehow ran out of tooling for Ram Man, but still put him out and said that they would do him all over again in the future.

Maybe you should make a protected BGEL support thread, if you want nothing but positive posts.
    fair enough MgM, I guess I should just start avoiding threads, or I might have to put people on ignore(though I hate the idea of that)

you will not be one of those MgM, you never seem unrealistic in your complaints, if they were all like yours, it wouldnt bother me as much
    the ignore list is my new best friend

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevenn View Post
    Actually, if she does indeed have new articulated wrist guards, then that actually might be a smart use of tooling dollars in the future. It means that there is now a new female lower arm part that can have any different bracelet set attached to it. The POP characters have mostly unique bracelets. Creating the first half of the lower arm saves a lot of money, and now only the bracelet piece has to be sculpted with each new female.
    I don't know if that will save money, will it? When they make new bracelets they make them in one piece, elbow to wrist. Now they just have to make mid-arm to wrist. I mean, in the end, it's the same amount of plastic being used.

Upon further inspection of Battleground Evil-Lyn pictures from SDCC, it does appear she has turning wrist guards, BUT, this poses a problem because of how the Teela bracelets are much longer on one side (and the only reason I can tell they actually turn). Evil-Lyn has a very DEEP indent on her inner forearms when her bracelets will be turned the other way. That's unsightly and (if used for all future women) will give them the gaping indents on their inner arms. I appreciate added arm articulation...I mean the thought was there, but I REALLY hope no one else gets these if they're going to look like this.

Look at her skin by her elbow, and then towards the bracelet and you will see the deep indent.

With this new tooling noticed, that brings her to 6 new pieces...so she does qualify for a quarterly variant. Personally, I wish they went with the tooling for the new dress. I mean...we can swap out her arms on our own to get the bracelets the other way and they won't have that very deep indent.

If they DO plan on using articulation like this going forward, they NEED to make a new elbow-mid arm piece that all the other ladies can use. They have symmetrical arm bands.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; August 24, 2011 at 11:45am.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

ON THE BRIGHT SIDE - it looks like we will have at least two more Evil-Lyn varients - Filmation & 200x. This means BGEL is an added bonus! This new, gorgeous repaint, does the original Teela bodice a lot of justice.

As an Evil-Lyn fan, I find this news outstandingly awesome!
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    Even with shared parts, she looks great in that pic.
    Exactly that picture looks amazing!!!! She looks so stunning, I can't believe how great she looks!

Quote Originally Posted by marndt8448 View Post
    Doesn't that contradict ToyGuru's post about the tooling dollars being set aside for a new tunic?
    Those who were clamoring for a new tunic on an Evil-Lyn variant are still left wondering where the answer is to TG's statement about the money being set aside for a new tunic.

Based on their answers & TG previous statements, they set aside tooling dollars for a new tunic, even though they never had any intentions on designing one?
    From the OP:
    Fans have also asked why the new 2.0 female buck was not used for Evil Lyn. At the time this figure was being sculpted the 2.0 body was not developed yet. We knew that it was coming, but it didn't exist for us to work off of. With this in mind we felt that it would be better to go with this simpler version rather than sink a lot of tooling into a version that didn't have waist articulation, better hip function, etc. If we used up the tooling now, it may have killed the chance to do a version that 100% satisfies all of the fan requests. Now that the 2.0 body has been created and worked into the line, the door is open to do this version in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by fball13z View Post
    Oh for god's sake, man these boards are getting so old, its making me regret spending all the money on the trip to power-con.

Nothing against you personally buddy, but the negative comments over and over and over just get old.

I look at my MOTUC collection every single day and I can not remember getting angry or upset about 1 thing, sure they things I want and maybe things I would have liked a little different.

But nothing that deserves all the hate that a lot of fans here are spitting out.

People need to look out of their windows and see the world is in a pretty crappy spot right now and these toys are nothing compared to the real issues most of us deal with in real life.

Just enjoy them for what they are.
    Well said, I agree 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by SLO-MAN View Post
    I really don't know what some fans were expecting.

Back when the possibility of 200X variants was first discussed, I already got a distinct feeling that a "200x" Evil-Lyn was going to end up a repaint.
    People didn't believe me, of course, but taking into consideration what Mattel said about 200X He-Man and Hordak, the repaint makes absolute sense.

Too bad fans were more busy getting there hopes up for something, that wasn't likely going to happen.
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...&postcount=330

http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...366#9771051366

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I don't know if that will save money, will it? When they make new bracelets they make them in one piece, elbow to wrist. Now they just have to make mid-arm to wrist. I mean, in the end, it's the same amount of plastic being used.
    But it's less steel molding tooling that needs to be made for each new figure. That's less new raw materials cost needed for each new figure.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

Now that it's been discovered BG Evil-Lyn has new forearms I'm VERY confused about her.

The 200X Evil-Lyn on female buck 2.0 would have been 3 new pieces (helmetless head, new bodice, new skirt)...they would have to give her a new accessory or something to bring it up to 4 new pieces (or keep the cape). The repaint version we're getting now has 6 new pieces. So...they spent more money on a placeholder version, instead of just slightly delaying her. I find this very, very confusing.

Why not just replace her with a different character? Like MGM said, Clamp Champ is a new head and weapon(s) for example.

I'm now in disbelief that they spent more money on a repaint than the version that would have made most people happy.

EDIT: Actually, they should have just delayed her and slotted Bubble Power She-Ra in her place. Remember when Mattel said if a figure was running late, needed changes, etc. that they would slot one of the quarterly variants in its place? Well, BP She-Ra is a figure OUTSIDE the sub...so it would have been perfect. Then, BG Evil-Lyn could have been the first quarterly figure of 2012 in her two piece MYP dress on a female 2.0 buck...instead of making us pay $60 to get her (subscribers have to buy this version AND the next one...the one we wanted in the first place. ).

Quote Originally Posted by Kevenn View Post
    But it's less steel molding tooling that needs to be made for each new figure. That's less new raw materials cost needed for each new figure.
    I guess so. However, they have to create 2 new female mid-arm to elbow pieces (the current ones will only work with characters that share Teela's bracelets because of the indents). In the long run, it still might save lots of money though. That would be awesome, because that could mean new tooling elsewhere.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; August 24, 2011 at 12:42pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

Heroic Warrior
    BGEL is this year's King Hssss. Remember the firestorm over how those snakes looked?
    Wouldn't King Hssss be this year's King Hssss? I was very disappointed with the Snake form, I can say I think Evil Lyn looks absolutely amazing.

I think the figure looks really nice but the issue is that she doesn't really serve a purpose in the overall line. There are A LOT of repaints that could be done with many other Classics figures that would really pop visually BUT do we want the line going in this direction? Some seem cool with that, I'm not so much on board. This either needed to be Evil-Lyn in a Classics version of her 2002 outfit (maybe just include some snap on parts to give her some 200x details even) or in a TRU pack or similar (IMO only of course).

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Now that it's been discovered BG Evil-Lyn has new forearms I'm VERY confused about her.
    Good sleuthing!

I'm amazed Mattel aren't paying you to keep quiet
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
    I think the figure looks really nice but the issue is that she doesn't really serve a purpose in the overall line. There are A LOT of repaints that could be done with many other Classics figures that would really pop visually BUT do we want the line going in this direction? Some seem cool with that, I'm not so much on board. This either needed to be Evil-Lyn in a Classics version of her 2002 outfit (maybe just include some snap on parts to give her some 200x details even) or in a TRU pack or similar (IMO only of course).
    You make a great point, it basically is a repaint and how receptive would people be if they do this with otherr main characters in the line? I don't know but you can sign me up for a 200X or Filmation inspired Clawful And as I've said she is a stunning figure and far better than any of the TRU repaints.

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    I think she is great, I'll buy her in a heart beat, and potentitally a second.

I'm glad that there will potentially be another version down the road that goes more in the 200X direction, but for now my staction does me well.

Quote Originally Posted by cbomb23 View Post
    Wouldn't King Hssss be this year's King Hssss? I was very disappointed with the Snake form, I can say I think Evil Lyn looks absolutely amazing.
    He was first revealed at SDCC 2010--last year.

Quote Originally Posted by vertigoink View Post
    How's that humble pie taste Thrawn?

Huh? I don't think you quite know what you're talking about.

That's exactly what I predicted they'd say about two weeks ago. It was expected. This was clearly meant to be 200x Evil Lyn either for the time being, or until we complained so loudly they backpedaled to save face. Now they are saying "One day we'll get another Evil Lyn made" but they didn't specify which version. In the Eric Treadway interview it sounded like he was happy to move on to a repainted Filmation version wearing Teela's dress next.

Disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    The tooling Budget probably went to Hurricane Hordak's dial.

That's entirely possible. We need a dial that doesn't work on Hurricane Hordak. Just stick Evil Lyn in Teela's outfit for a second time.
    Last edited by Thrawn29; August 24, 2011 at 01:32pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

i think it's a great figure. i don't care that it re-uses parts. it's not 200x, it's battle ground.

but what i don't get is their excuse for not using the 2.0 buck. are they saying they started working on this figure BEFORE they started working on She-Ra 2.0?

'Specter...new Evil-Lyn info!

BG Evil-Lyn's arms?

will BG Evil-Lyn have new gauntlets that move?

Yes. They are the same arms tool but we cut them with a new joint so the arm guards turn 360 now. Our way of always trying to improve figures whenever we can!

Quote Originally Posted by The.Idea.of.Evil View Post
    This is a crap response and proof why the line is finally dwindling down for fans after these many years.
    It was actually a nicely worded response. The problem is that it does not in any way fix this mistake, or make up for the fact that Mattel has screwed me into buying this repaint twice with my two subs. Mattel's response basiscally boils down to "Buy our crap and hope we give you what you want eventually. But no promises."

We were told no repaints for quarterly variants. This is a repaint.

I was actually on the 2012 Eternia subscription page last night. Toyguru said the subs were significantly lower. I had already bought two subs, but I was debating about buying a third to further support the line.

But I kept thinking about BG Evil Lyn and the thus far unfulfilled promise for significant 200 variants and I said "screw it". I really hate Evil Lyn in that Teela dress. This one figure cost Mattel $510 dollars from an extra sub I would have bought had I been happy with BG Evil Lyn.

BG Evil-Lyn's arms?

will BG Evil-Lyn have new gauntlets that move?

Yes. They are the same arms tool but we cut them with a new joint so the arm guards turn 360 now. Our way of always trying to improve figures whenever we can!
    That's great news. I'm happy about that. It still does nothing to fix the figure because she's in Teela's dress. That would have made me ecstatic on my Teela figure. The reversed gauntlets (Yes, I know they're accurate to the cardback. They still look stupid reversed like that.) are the least of Evil Lyn's problems.
    Last edited by Thrawn29; August 25, 2011 at 11:19am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

It's too bad the mid-arm to elbow part of the arm wasn't sculpted a tad thinner then. If they did this, there would be no indent in the arm at all and it would work like a real bracelet on a real woman...instead of making her inner arms look like puzzle pieces.

I really love that they keep trying to improve the female body and articulation, but...visually, this isn't a step forward. The new hips look MUCH nicer on female buck 2.0 though. I can accept them using these same arms on any ladies that use Teela's bracelets (and it's okay because there's no weird arm indent if you keep them in place). I just really, really hope they fix it...make a new one for the other ladies or just go back to the OLD way of making female arms/bracelets in one piece. This indent WILL be a problem on all other women. It's like how female buck 1.0 was purely designed for Teela. That elbow piece will only work for her too and be a disaster for most (not all) other ladies.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; August 24, 2011 at 01:59pm.

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cbomb23 View Post
    You make a great point, it basically is a repaint and how receptive would people be if they do this with otherr main characters in the line? I don't know but you can sign me up for a 200X or Filmation inspired Clawful
    While there aren't many all-new parts needed (only head, armour and a net accessory - the last of which could be reused for Netossa), Filmation Clawful would need a very different parts list from MotUC Clawful, rather than just a straight repaint of it (probably need the He-Man rather than Whiplash buck too):

A 200X Clawful, OTOH... There wouldn't be enough of a difference. Mostly just a repaint of the existing head (no eyebrows, narrower eyes) would do, and they could toss that in with Filmation Clawful.
    Last edited by Reboot; August 24, 2011 at 02:10pm.

I just noticed Whiplash7 created a poll to see if people like BG Evil-Lyn or not:

Yes = like
    No = do not like

vote here:

http://he-man.org:81/forums/boards/s...d.php?t=213442

I made a joke during SDCC that Evil Lyn's tooling dollars went to Fisto, but what if it did? We get an ultimate Fisto and still a great looking Evil Lyn.