Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Mattel Talks Battleground Evil-Lyn: The Inspiration Behind The Design

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn29 View Post
    Any version of Evil Lyn that's wearing Teela's dress is automatically a piece of crap regardless of paint apps, bucks, accessories, or alternate heads.

The 4H failed pathetically with this figure. It's a cheap repaint which is exactly what the sub holders were promised quarterly variants were not going to be.
    So Thrawn, given that we are getting this BG Evil Lyn, if she had been given the 2.0 buck with the Teela tunic updated for the 2.0 body....you wouldn't be a little bit less irritated?

Were you irritated with She-ra 2.0?

My main problem with BG Evil Lyn is that since the money was there for a new outfit, yes I would have loved to see the 200X style or any other style. However since they chose the Teela tunic. I would have gone from liking this figure to loving it, just because the new buck was used and the teela tunic was updated for the new buck allowing waist articulation, so Teela could possibly be reissued using this new tunic and the 2.0 buck.

I am saying Mattel made BG Teela before BG Evil Lyn, so there is no reason they couldn't have used the 2.0 buck from BG Teela and if they chose the teela tunic, at least the tunic would be different in the fact it allowed waist articulation and would also differ a bit in appearance like the she-ra 2.0 outfit differs with the design on her abdomen.

Quote Originally Posted by CicconeSC View Post
    So Thrawn, given that we are getting this BG Evil Lyn, if she had been given the 2.0 buck with the Teela tunic updated for the 2.0 body....you wouldn't be a little bit less irritated?
    No. That's like asking would I prefer shooting myself with a nail gun or eating broken glass covered in Tabasco sauce. I'll pass on both.

BG Evil Lyn is a repaint of a repaint. This figure should not exist. It's an affront to my sensibilities as a paying customer.

She's exactly what Mattel said they weren't going to do with the quarterly variants.

Were you irritated with She-ra 2.0?
    No. She-Ra 2.0 comes with a new head, removable armor, new weapons, a new buck, and features newly tooled wrist gauntlets, boots, and a newly tooled dress which features a new paint app.

In short, everything a quarterly variant should come with - everything BG Evil Lyn should have had.

I bought multiple BP She-Ra's today.

If BP She-Ra was wearing Teela's, Adora's, Queen Marlena's, or Catra's dress, I would have passed on her as a cheap lazy repaint.

I am saying Mattel made BG Teela before BG Evil Lyn, so there is no reason they couldn't have used the 2.0 buck from BG Teela and if they chose the teela tunic, at least the tunic would be different in the fact it allowed waist articulation and would also differ a bit in appearance like the she-ra 2.0 outfit differs with the design on her abdomen.
    This is all true. But the bottom line is that after reading the Eric Treadway interview, he wanted us to pay for a repaint. He was thrilled with it.

Terry from the Mattel design team was also happy she was a repaint.

That was after nearly two years of fans who were clamoring for a 200x Evil Lyn yelling we hated the fact that she was a Teela repaint.

They were either willingly tone deaf to our requests, or just plain ignorant. Neither of which is excusable since they have access to the internet and fan forums.
    Last edited by Thrawn29; November 15, 2011 at 09:29pm.

It's an affront to my sensibilities as a paying customer.
    You kind of have to hear yourself when you say something like this and go "Hmmm, am I making too big a deal out of this?"

Not trying to annoy you or anything, I just find that when I get so upset that I find myself saying something along these lines, it usually means I'm losing perspective. Not saying that's the case with you, just saying...take a breath. If you don't like her, sell her. Companies are always going to cut corners, even when they say they won't. Mattel has been that way for a long time.

That said, the look of this figure continues to impress me and I'm increasingly tempted to pick one up. But I won't. I WON'T!

I wish this was the EL we got in the FIRST place. Who cares that she's a repaint. I'm getting pretty much every figure so far anyway. Don't like it, don't buy it. She's not a 200X Lyn, she's a non yellow Lyn. That's what I like most about this figure.

Any version of Evil Lyn that's wearing Teela's dress is automatically a piece of crap regardless of paint apps, bucks, accessories, or alternate heads.

The 4H failed pathetically with this figure. It's a cheap repaint which is exactly what the sub holders were promised quarterly variants were not going to be.
    I have to disagree with that first statement. The fact that Classics EL (and vintage EL) share a mold with Teela does not automatically make them bad figures. Heck, most of the figures in the line are the same body with a new head, and have the same furry shorts.

The Horsemens decision to have BG EL share the same dress with her yellow version may have been a tribute to their stactions of her (which also shared the same mold).

It boggles my mind that anyone actually thinks it was The Four Horsemen's decision to reuse the Teela tunic on her.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    It boggles my mind that anyone actually thinks it was The Four Horsemen's decision to reuse the Teela tunic on her.
    That's what TG told us. I think it was really a cost cutting decision.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    You kind of have to hear yourself when you say something like this and go "Hmmm, am I making too big a deal out of this?"
    Relax. Hyperbole mixed with truth. We all know these are toys. If I can't come on the internet and rant and rave like an escaped Arkham Asylum inmate what's the point of collecting toys?

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    I have to disagree with that first statement. The fact that Classics EL (and vintage EL) share a mold with Teela does not automatically make them bad figures. Heck, most of the figures in the line are the same body with a new head, and have the same furry shorts.
    You're entitled to your opinion of course. The difference between Webstor and Skeletor is more than the furry shorts. They've got their own armor.

Same with Man-At-Arms and He-Man.

Evil Lyn does not. She is literally wearing Teela's "armor", or in this case the dress.

Imagine if Webstor had come with Skeletor's armor instead of his own.

That's what has happened to Evil Lyn.

Yes, yes... 80s..vintage...blah blah. It's cool if you like it. I, however, don't. I love motuc Leech. Many others don't. It doesn't bother me.

We already got one repaint that was cheap and wearing the Teela dress like the vintage line - the yellow one.

That's still one too many for me, but we all knew it was coming. This one was completely unnecessary. It's made even more so by the fact that they had the tooling budget for a new outfit but chose to make her a repaint.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    The Horsemens decision to have BG EL share the same dress with her yellow version may have been a tribute to their stactions of her (which also shared the same mold).
    I don't care what it was a reference to. It's still costing me $30 a figure for what is essentially Teela for the fourth time (Teela, Goddess, Yellow Teela, and now purple Teela).

Both Mattel and the 4H themselves have admitted as much. I choose to take them at their word. It boggles my mind some refuse to believe it when it's coming directly from the horse's mouth. So to speak. When somebody in an official capacity says otherwise, I'll believe differently.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    We all have our suspicions my friend. I'm not even saying I disagree with you, but until somebody says otherwise, you have no proof.
    Last edited by Thrawn29; November 15, 2011 at 11:27pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

this is my feeling to

the King needs his Queen and pet! Queen Veena and Battle Lion for MOTUC!

For the Love of Illumina & her Cat Sleetah!!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/156251727799742/
    my Feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205099
    my sale page http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205041

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar

Tired of waiting for Hollywood.

What if Evil Lyn was a snake-lady, like the daughter of King Hiss, Lyn Hiss, if you will???

(I for one have no trouble imagining or desiring a sulptuous snakelady.)

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian-King Paul View Post
    What if Evil Lyn was a snake-lady, like the daughter of King Hiss, Lyn Hiss, if you will???

(I for one have no trouble imagining or desiring a sulptuous snakelady.)
    As long as she's not wearing Teela's dress and had enough new tooling to justify the cost I'd be down for that figure.

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar

Tired of waiting for Hollywood.

I figure the snake-people are a scare element on Eternia, so some people would train to fight with snake staffs, like Teala has.

..and that pearl wand magic staff that Evil Lyn has belongs to She-Ra.
    (That way it wouldnt look weird when she turns it into a laso or a sheild or a surfboard.)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    The 4H's response on the subject seems to indicate that it was their own decision to use the tunic again.

Make Prahvus please!! marndt8448's Avatar
    I missed that. I knew TG said it was the 4H's decision, but wasn't aware the 4H also said it was their decision.

EL wore it in the vintage line and thats where a lot of the design tastes come from in this line or have you all forgotten that.
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Quote Originally Posted by oICEMANo View Post
    EL wore it in the vintage line and thats where a lot of the design tastes come from in this line or have you all forgotten that.
    TG lied to us and told us this Evil-Lyn would have her 2000x dress and THIS Evil-Lyn was never in the vintage line we got that Evil-Lyn already

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    The 4H's response on the subject seems to indicate that it was their own decision to use the tunic again.
    Thank you Tallstar. I was beginning to wonder if anybody else could read. And that's not being snarky, it's there in black and white for everybody to see.

Quote Originally Posted by oICEMANo View Post
    Have you forgotten interviews with Toyguru where it was specifically stated future Evil Lyn variants would be more than just a repaint?

Have you forgotten where it was specifically stated the budget was there for her tunic and it was skipped in favor of repaints?

I haven't.
    Last edited by Thrawn29; November 16, 2011 at 06:42pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thank you Tallstar. I was beginning to wonder if anybody else could read. And that's not being snarky, it's there in black and white for everybody to see.

Have you forgotten interviews with Toyguru where it was specifically stated future Evil Lyn variants would be more than just a repaint?

Have you forgotten where it was specifically stated the budget was there for her tunic and it was skipped in favor of repaints?

I haven't.
    nor have I!

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post

Both Mattel and the 4H themselves have admitted as much. I choose to take them at their word. It boggles my mind some refuse to believe it when it's coming directly from the horse's mouth. So to speak. When somebody in an official capacity says otherwise, I'll believe differently.

I know what we've been told, but sometimes everyone has to tow the company line, no matter what business you're in or who you are in it, period. I, and many others, believe The Four Horsemen said this because Mattel asked them to do it to help calm the fan fires. Or you know what? I wouldn't even be shocked if they offered to do it to help out Mattel because they're just that nice of guys.

If you think about it, it just doesn't make ANY sense. How many times have we heard about The Four Horsemen sculpting EXTRA items that weren't asked for? MANY! With all that they're working on, they surely don't have time to sculpt unrequested items, but they do it anyway because they are THAT passionate about their work and the characters in these properties. That's why it doesn't make ANY sense that they would opt OUT of creating something new if the budget and opportunity were available.
    Last edited by Mern-Ra; November 17, 2011 at 01:37am.

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

I know what we've been told, but sometimes everyone has to tow the company line, no matter what business you're in or who you are in it, period. I, and many others, believe The Four Horsemen said this because Mattel asked them to do it to help calm the fan fires. Or you know what? I wouldn't even be shocked if they offered to do it to help out Mattel because they're just that nice of guys.

If you think about it, it just doesn't make ANY sense. How many times have we heard about The Four Horsemen sculpting EXTRA items that weren't asked for? MANY! With all that they're working on, they surely don't have time to sculpt unrequested items, but they do do it because they are THAT passionate about their work and the characters in these properties. That's why it doesn't make ANY sense that they would opt OUT of creating something new if the budget and opportunity were available.
    if you read what they posted and what they told Dan at the show *before the fan fire* they just did her like this for the fact that they really liked it not caring how the fan's felt as they did with the star sisters/king hiss/buzz off/clawful and so on

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Sorceress View Post
    if you read what they posted and what they told Dan at the show *before the fan fire*
    Hmmm....I'm not aware of this stuff--could you post links? I'm not trying to say "I think you're a liar! You have to give me proof!", I'm genuinely interested!

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Sorceress View Post
    they just did her like this for the fact that they really liked it not caring how the fan's felt as they did with the star sisters/king hiss/buzz off/clawful and so on
    First, King Hiss is amazing and awesome, in both forms (IMHO). I'll never understand the outrage over his snake form.

Second, the 'and so on' makes it sound like you think The Four Horsemen don't care about fan input and opinions...do you really feel that way? Cuz I can't think of people who care more about what their fans want.

Second, the 'and so on' makes it sound like you think The Four Horsemen don't care about fan input and opinions...do you really feel that way? Cuz I can't think of people who care more about what their fans want.
    Also, just because some don't like some of the toys/designs for MOTUC, not all of the fans disagree with the 4H. I have issues with some of their decisions, but I'm totally happy with King Hiss too(as well as The Star Sisters, Clawful, Buzz-Off, and BG Evil-Lyn).
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Hmmm....I'm not aware of this stuff--could you post links? I'm not trying to say "I think you're a liar! You have to give me proof!", I'm genuinely interested!

First, King Hiss is amazing and awesome, in both forms (IMHO). I'll never understand the outrage over his snake form.

you calling ME A LIAR!? lol kidding!
    i think it's in this thread or the pro 2000x one. i just remember Pixel Dan talking about how happy they seemed with it and how he did not think we would get a 2000x one seeing as how this was her in there eyes

the truth? no i really don't think they do they NEVER post on there forum unless it's time to sell something *but they post a lot on the 3A forum* and just look at the track record
    fan's wanted
    Fisto's fist to pop off = nop
    toy look for Star Sisters = nop
    2000x Evil-Lyn = nop
    King Hiss snake to look like art = nop
    2000x MAA = nop
    Sorceress to have open hand = nop

but thats just me BGEL killed any and all the love i had for the 4H

Because it looks like a joke. It's a sorry excuse for a King Hsss snake torso.

King Hsss is one of my favorite motu characters and that completely disappointed me. It's awful.

It has very skinny snake arms that do not at all look powerful. Then it has even less snakes than the vintage figure from 20 years ago!! How does that work?

After all the slavish devotion to getting Clawfu'ls muppet eyebrows, and Evil Lyn in Teela's dress, at the very least Eric Treadway should have given King Hsss as many snakes as he had in the 80s. But he has less.

Do you understand that? I'm not trying to be mean when I ask that. This is a case where you have a modern figure that is actually less than the already minimal 80s figure.

There was no excuse for that. Especially artistically. Treadway seems to not understand the character.

The concept behind King Hsss is a roiling mass of powerful snakes. The 80s figure had six. Just enough to get away with with.

The 200x version sacrificed numbers - down to five - but gave it size and power. You had five snake arms and heads all thick and sinuous.

200x King Hsss looked powerful and intimidating, more so than Hordak and Skeletor even.

The motuc version is a joke. The 4H modelled that version on the 80s one but took away a snake which goes against the very concept of the figure.

The 4H clearly didn't know what they were doing with that figure.

The human form looks great except for the reversed shoulders. I think motuc King Hsss has one of the best face sculpts in the line.

But the snake form is pathetic.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    The 4H took responsibility for Battleground Evil-Lyn in the 3 part Fwoosh Mattel interview just after SDCC.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)