Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Mattel Talks Battleground Evil-Lyn: The Inspiration Behind The Design

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn29 View Post
    Little bit of a difference with this toyline though. This isn't retail. I can't pick and choose which figures I can buy. I'm a subscriber. For $30 dollars ($60 for me because I have 2 subs) I expected more for a Quarterly variant after we were told up front that when the Quarterly figures were folded into the sub they'd have full tooling budgets.

A new hair piece doesn't cut it for this figure.

A 200x He-Man Quarterly variant with a new hairpiece and the fanny pack would be fine because he'd also come with a new harness. We also expect He-Man variants to reuse He-Man. TP He-Man gets a new harness and a closed fist. He's fine. I'm very happy with him.

Vintage Evil Lyn is a Teela repaint. That makes this figure is a repaint of a repaint. One step too far for me. And she's an A-list character on top of it who keeps getting the indignity of being relegated to a repaint.

It's even more frustrating when you look at Fisto, who has new armor, a new head, an alt 200x head, alt 200x loincloth, and a new fist. Fisto was done correctly. There is no need to ever release another Fisto in the line.
    100% Agree with the above. Some characters don't have the blessing of mixing the two styles as well as Fisto, but you have to nail both versions right when called to do so. She was short-changed both times, in my opinion. Why? Because she got extra crystals, wands, and Screeech/perch? I would have preferred the short wand for the vintage, and the long wand for 200x. The first version did not need a dagger. Even now I have two and pose them as vintage inspired (Screeech and short wand) and 200x-inspired (long wand and knife). She is pretty, but not as how I would have envisioned her being done.

Calling the article: Battleground Evil-Lyn: the Inspiration Behind the Design is an oxymoron. From a sculpting perspective, new head and cape aside, it is about as uninspiring as it gets.

I am honestly not here to throw salt. The toy IS pretty, it is. My issue is as follows: It has been said she is not 200x and she is NOT vintage, and she certainly isn't comic-inspired, then WHAT is the inspiration for this Evil-Lyn? If there isn't one, I say save your tooling dollars and remove her, place someone else in her spot, and go back to the drawing board. I know it's not that easy in big business and she's too far along, but this toy is quickly becoming the worst figure in the line from many perspectives, and not how I wish to spend $20...well $60, with 3 subs.

In a line with rampant buck reuse, it makes incorrect (IMHO) design choices like these even more glaring. This isn't big box retail, and each month NEEDS to count. Man-E-Faces is pretty threadbare with lots of reused tooling and 2 accessories, but PERFECTLY rendered and barring even MORE faces, I couldn't ask for a better one! Mattel needs to think more sharply than that, given the Snake Men, Rio Blast, Extendar, Ram Man, and a LOT of other Masters will require a ton of new tooling.

My main point: What is this Evil-Lyn supposed to be? That confusion means she has no real spot in my collection, and I am complete outside of Spirit of KG.

Heroic Warrior
    This is unwinnable. Jimmy might hate this figure, but Johnny loves him. The sense of entitlement comes from someone thinking that THEIR version of a character is the correct or definitive one. I always thought He-Man shoulda been a brunette, but at the end of the day, whatsitmatter?

It's a matter of taste. I love it, you hate. I've been in your shoes before and you've been in mine. There is no right or wrong, just a matter of taste. There is no entitlement. You (or I) don't DESERVE anything. We are not children, we do not deserve a toy for good behaviour or some such. We're adults. We make our own money and we are free to waste it however we choose. If it really matters that much, vote with your dollars. Now I have to get back to important things, like weather Wonder Woman should be wearing pants or fighting for the right for Superman to wear his underwear on the outside of his britches.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAdam101 View Post
    Perhaps they needed a few figures to perform well in the fourth quarter. It would make sense to pick a character that could be mostly re-used parts because it keeps the production cost down and she will still sell well. It's a business, not a charity.!
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAdam101 View Post
    Maybe they needed to go less expensive in the fourth quarter, and he had to go back on his word because it's business. I don't think it's a big deal. Two new pieces instead of four. I didn't even realize the body was a repaint until everyone starting talking about it. She looks amazing.
    These are good points.

Guys, we will get 200X EL's outfit, or a MOTUC approximation of it.

If you go by the MOTUC "Classicizer" machine that TG talks about (sigh), this tunic painted in the 200X style is appropriate.

Now should they have used buck 2.0 and designed a new warrior goddess tunic (that they could have used on a new Teela)? YES.

But they KNEW we'd still want not only a real 200X Zalesian tunic Evil-Lyn, but also a Filmation one, and a Majestra, and a 200X Young Lyn, etc.

There are several variants yet to be had between Teela, Evil-Lyn, and The Sorceress. They need them to make money and fill in the variant slots.

I definitely think this figure was limited because they knew they could make a killing on her if they cut the budget.

Quote Originally Posted by superheman View Post
    Filmation Evil-Lyn would be perfect for me. Better yet, Filmation Evil-Lyn who transforms into Majestra would be phenomenal!
    PLEASE!!!! That would be an awesome con exclusive!!!
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    These are good points.

If you go by the MOTUC "Classicizer" machine that TG talks about (sigh), this tunic painted in the 200X style is appropriate.

Now should they have used buck 2.0 and designed a new warrior goddess tunic (that they could have used on a new Teela)? YES.

But they KNEW we'd still want not only a real 200X Zalesian tunic Evil-Lyn, but also a Filmation one, and a Majestra, and a 200X Young Lyn, etc.

There are several variants yet to be had between Teela, Evil-Lyn, and The Sorceress. They need them to make money and fill in the variant slots.

I definitely think this figure was limited because they knew they could make a killing on her if they cut the budget.

PLEASE!!!! That would be an awesome con exclusive!!!
    Stop with your logic!
    the ignore list is my new best friend

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravestar View Post
    This is unwinnable. Jimmy might hate this figure, but Johnny loves him. The sense of entitlement comes from someone thinking that THEIR version of a character is the correct or definitive one. I always thought He-Man shoulda been a brunette, but at the end of the day, whatsitmatter?

It's a matter of taste. I love it, you hate. I've been in your shoes before and you've been in mine. There is no right or wrong, just a matter of taste. There is no entitlement. You (or I) don't DESERVE anything. We are not children, we do not deserve a toy for good behaviour or some such. We're adults. We make our own money and we are free to waste it however we choose. If it really matters that much, vote with your dollars. Now I have to get back to important things, like weather Wonder Woman should be wearing pants or fighting for the right for Superman to wear his underwear on the outside of his britches.
    Some of us can't vote with our wallets. We have subscriptions.

I don't think it's that cut and dried. I think it's more like if Mattel made the figure that Jimmy wanted, Johnny would have liked it too. If BGEL had her 200X tunic, this thread wouldn't exist and I think everyone would have been satisfied.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    If BGEL had her 200X tunic, this thread wouldn't exist and I think everyone would have been satisfied.
    No way! I'd have been screaming for another re-paint of the Teela bodice!

...and you may be right - this could be 2011's King Hisss.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

This is unwinnable.
    No, it was quite winnable actually. Vintage fans got yellow Teela. The next Evil Lyn variant just had to be the 200x version. Mattel knew fans of 200x Evil Lyn wouldn't accept a repaint. This is evidenced by their previous statements that she would be more than a repaint.

90% of what they had to do was get her out of the Teela dress.

but at the end of the day, whatsitmatter?
    $30 per figure. More if you have additional subs.

If it really matters that much, vote with your dollars.
    Sub. No choice. I'd have been 100% fine with She-Ra 2.0 being the quarterly variant. New tooling, new details, and new articulation. That figure was worthy of the being put into the sub.

Now I have to get back to important things, like weather Wonder Woman should be wearing pants or fighting for the right for Superman to wear his underwear on the outside of his britches.
    Don't even get me started on that.

I don't think it's that cut and dried. I think it's more like if Mattel made the figure that Jimmy wanted, Johnny would have liked it too. If BGEL had her 200X tunic, this thread wouldn't exist and I think everyone would have been satisfied.
    Exactly. Thank you.
    Last edited by Thrawn29; August 24, 2011 at 03:45pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    While there aren't many all-new parts needed (only head, armour and a net accessory - the last of which could be reused for Netossa), Filmation Clawful would need a very different parts list from MotUC Clawful, rather than just a straight repaint of it (probably need the He-Man rather than Whiplash buck too):
    http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...artClawful.jpg

A 200X Clawful, OTOH... There wouldn't be enough of a difference. Mostly just a repaint of the existing head (no eyebrows, narrower eyes) would do, and they could toss that in with Filmation Clawful.
    Interestingly enough, I'd rather they used the furry he-man shorts rather than Bow's blue briefs on "Smart Clawful". For one thing, it looks less goofy to my eyes, and for another I like the look of the furry cloth more on these figures. I like Count Marzo the way he is, but I think he'd have looked great with the fur loin cloth if they'd wanted to reuse that.

To answer the inevitable, no I don't think that is at all comparable to Teela's dress, which is a lot bigger, more noticeable, and much more personalized with all its decoration.

i hate getting told vote with our wallets when they know we can't lol

i see her arms are new tooling....why the hell they did that i don't know the backs of them don't look that good

the King needs his Queen and pet! Queen Veena and Battle Lion for MOTUC!

For the Love of Illumina & her Cat Sleetah!!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/156251727799742/
    my Feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205099
    my sale page http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205041

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Sorceress View Post
    i hate getting told vote with our wallets when they know we can't lol

i see her arms are new tooling....why the hell they did that i don't know the backs of them don't look that good
    They aren't newly tooled. They made new cuts in the arms using the existing molds, so that the bracelets can turn. Some fans were confused about the bracelets being "backwards" in the original cardback art.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

They aren't newly tooled. They made new cuts in the arms using the existing molds, so that the bracelets can turn. Some fans were confused about the bracelets being "backwards" in the original cardback art.
    How does that not require a new tool? (genuinely curious)

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
    How does that not require a new tool? (genuinely curious)
    It's a literal retool - they've gone in and changed the existing mould rather than making a new one. Same way the male crotch piece was changed permanently after the first few figures, or the hole in KG's back was filled in.

The main significance of the chance isn't actually in the cost (I doubt it's that much cheaper than making a new mould), but in the fact that any reissues - of the original MotUC Teela, for instance - will use the revised version from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    It's a literal retool - they've gone in and changed the existing mould rather than making a new one. Same way the male crotch piece was changed permanently after the first few figures, or the hole in KG's back was filled in.

The main significance of the chance isn't actually in the cost (I doubt it's that much cheaper than making a new mould), but in the fact that any reissues - of the original MotUC Teela, for instance - will use the revised version from now on.
    Interesting. I think I'd need visuals to truely understand though. It went from one part to to with an added joint. . . My head is spinning. I guess I'll check it out when she arrives.

Heroic Warrior
    I love this Evil-Lyn.I wanted an Evil-Lyn with her white hair and i got it so i'm pleased.I also believe i nailed it when i said that The Goddess is Evil-Lyn's mother.The Four Horsemen said Evil-Lyn was the powerful goddess of evil...coincidence or accidently dropped a hint.I believe i will be proven right in the future.I could be completely wrong on this but hey that's part of the fun.

Heroic Warrior
    I think the BGEL looks amazing. i'm quite happy we have her.

I DO like this figure. I hope that her paint job turns out as nice as the prototype (yeah right, like THAT ever happens. . .)

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    These are good points.

I don't think the "Classicizer" should cause any problems. Faceless One + Draego-Man pretty much make 200X Evil-Lyn:

I'm confused though...why give us an Evil-Lyn that's NONE of the possible Evil-Lyn, Teela, Goddess or Sorceress variants people wanted?

I always thought He-Man shoulda been a brunette, but at the end of the day, whatsitmatter?
    That's Wundar...and they made him!

Bingo. If she was outside the sub, the anger would still be there, but wouldn't be AS much. Those not happy or interested in her would just skip her and wait for the TRUE 200X/MYP Evil-Lyn that will come in the future. I would. I can't afford to spend money on placeholders, which is why I collected the 200X line AFTER it died (basically). I DON'T want to do this with the MOTUC line...but Mattel isn't making it easy.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; August 24, 2011 at 05:48pm.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Squirrel that can type Lewd_Squirrel's Avatar
    all this arguing make me gassy.
    Does Galactus fart?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn29 View Post
    No, it was quite winnable actually. Vintage fans got yellow Teela. The next Evil Lyn variant just had to be the 200x version. Mattel knew fans of 200x Evil Lyn wouldn't accept a repaint. This is evidenced by their previous statements that she would be more than a repaint.

90% of what they had to do was get her out of the Teela dress.

$30 per figure. More if you have additional subs.

Sub. No choice. I'd have been 100% fine with She-Ra 2.0 being the quarterly variant. New tooling, new details, and new articulation. That figure was worthy of the being put into the sub.

Don't even get me started on that.

Exactly. Thank you.
    I'm going to prove you wrong. Are you watching? Pay attention now.

I don't want your version. I want the version that's going to be released as is.

You're missing the point (hence me telling you to pay attention), as long as there are at least TWO people who collect toys, there are going to be 2 different things that people want.

I don't want your version. I want the version that's going to be released as is.

You're missing the point (hence me telling you to pay attention), as long as there are at least TWO people who collect toys, there are going to be 2 different things that people want.

And neither should ever post on a message board?

Inappropriate Tree Hugger The.Idea.of.Evil's Avatar

Why are you even posting in this thread? We get it, you feel morally superior to the fans who are complaining. But it looks as if you won't even hear their reasoning's, let alone have sympathy for the fact that, like you're saying you feel one way, they feel the opposite way about this figure and are let down.

Post in the "I like the new BGEL" threads and leave us hater's to our own grievances here.

I'm going to prove you wrong.
    I'm afraid you did no such thing.

Pay attention now...there are fans who want a 200x version of Evil Lyn. This is not that.

You are fine with a repaint. Congratulations. I'm fine with Leech, Kobra Khan, and the Sorceress. Others are not. I'll enjoy them regardless. It's irrelevant to my concerns with this figure.

Perhaps you are missing the point. This statement is correct:

as long as there are at least TWO people who collect toys, there are going to be 2 different things that people want.
    Hence this entire ordeal. Your above statement not only renders you're entire post moot, but it shows justification for my posts. We want two different things. You're fine with what you're getting. I am not, hence me making my displeasure known to the Mattel. They have heard that displeasure, hence the official statement. Whether this mistake ever gets corrected remains to be seen.

I'm not sure why you took the time to restate what was rather obvious.
    Last edited by Thrawn29; August 24, 2011 at 06:37pm.

I like BGEvil-Lyn.

I want 200x Evil-Lyn, & the young 200x version.

I like Evil-Lyn.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Evil Witch of Metternia Met-Hild's Avatar

The artist formerly known as Mechthild

Please check out my MOTU revision fan art, and fan fiction: Metternia bios and history & myths.

Now also on DeviantArt: http://osmatar.deviantart.com/