Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yes, I'm a cherry picker

Yes, I'm a cherry picker

I have noticed that the term "cherry-picker" is increasingly being used in a negative context - it has almost become a slur. Some people seem to think that "cherry-pickers" are lesser fans and that they don't support MOTU (and MOTUC in particular) as those who buy all products indiscriminately. So, I just felt like I need to say something:

It's OK to be a cherry-picker.

It is perfectly normal to buy what you like and pass on what you don't like. There are many valid reasons for that. Maybe you can't afford everything, maybe you are not happy with something? You don't have space for everything or maybe you just don't like a figure, and you just plain don't want it?

If you "cherry-pick" you are just as much a fan as those who buy everything. And here's why - those who buy everything provide steady revenue for Mattel and that is nice. But, cherry-pickers give Mattel something even better than money - feedback. Because, no line can be expected to survive solely on fanaticism of the core fanbase. If it should survive and grow it needs to be good - and it needs to stay good. The idea that you only support the line by buying stuff is flawed - Mattel is not a charity. If you want to donate your money, donate to this site!

If we all just keep subscribing every year, regardless of what they do, the line would keep going, but it would essentially be on life support, begging the fans to give money so it can stay alive. That is not how MOTUC should be. MOTUC should simply be a good line, that people buy because they want the figures! It should stay alive naturally. And for that, we need to give feedback. We need to say if there's something we don't like. And, in the end, we should not buy the stuff we don't like. That way, Toyguru will be able to look at the numbers and say "hmmmm, this didn't go that well, let's not do that in the future". That way, they can change course, adapt, and keep it not only alive but also healthy and strong.

That's why it's totally OK to be a cherry-picker.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    It's OK to be a cherry-picker.
    Yes it is...and I accept you and all other "Cherry-pickers" wholeheartedly
    “Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.” ― Apple Inc.

Good lord. Do we have to do this again?

LOCK THE THREAD!
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

It's funny that this term has popped up so much in the last month or so.
    We used to just call those people "collectors".
    Because buying everything in a toy line was rare, and those collectors were called "completists".

Either way, I think these labels are pointless, really.
    "Subber", "cherry-picker", "vintage purist", "matty apologist", etc...
    They just create unnecessary divisions in an already niche market.
    We're all just "MotU fans" and "MotU collectors" to me.

But yes, it is ok to be one of these "Cherry pickers".
    Just like it's ok to be any other kind of collector.
    Bill :: guitargod694

Quote Originally Posted by guitargod694 View Post

But yes, it is ok to be one of these "Cherry pickers".
    Just like it's ok to be any other kind of collector.
    Well said....
    “Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.” ― Apple Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by guitargod694 View Post
    The war between the Cherries & the Completes is ON!
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC

Evil Horde Poison Master! Mr_Yuck's Avatar
    Personally I have no problems with folks who choose not to buy the sub, or "cherry pick" as it is. The sub isn't a right fit for everyone, and it's an individual choice. I don't see anything wrong with it either.

The problem that I have is when people who are cherry pickers think Mattel's exploration of possibly increasing prices outside of the sub is a way to "punish" them. Frankly, it's an overreaction to something that is happening across many other product and service providers.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    The war between the Cherries & the Completes is ON!
    Burn the cherry pickers at the stake! if I was a cherry picker id only collect na motuc

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    But, cherry-pickers give Mattel something even better than money - feedback.
    First and foremost, I have no problem with people only buying certain figures that they want. That's fine.

However, I will say this, and this is not a slight against you or any other cherry-pickers out there... Mattel isn't getting a damn bit of feedback (at least not the specific type of feeback that you are referring to) from your buying habbits.

Why, you may ask? Because thus far each figure has still sold out. Some have taken longer than others, but that's not always a black and white way of looking at which figure is more popular than another. Sometimes it just has to do with the volume of production and various other factors.

The point is simply that if each figure sells out, and in a reasonable amount of time, then that doesn't really tell Mattel anything. They aren't sitting there going, "Oh noes! Bob from Montana bought Man-E-Faces but didn't buy Cat-Ra. This means that she must not be as popular! Crapity crap crap! We have to rearrange our whole strategy!" And they aren't doing that because Cat-Ra still sold out, which means that someone else bought the one that 'Bob' didn't buy.

There are numerous potential reasons for why the sub sales were down this year. I think the prospect of having to potentially be online to order quite frequently anyway (should the 30th anniversary add-on sub not go through) may be a big part of it. Between those 6 figures, Granymyr, any possible vehicles, weapons packs, etc, that's a lot of potential extra shipping to have to pay for. And since people have to be online to place such an order anyway, they might figure that they may as well just ordering everything while they are going through the hassle and save shipping. And there are many other possible reasons that I won't rehash here (but have been brought up in many other threads).

I think the potentially fatal error that Mattel is making here is assuming by default that the number of subscriptions reflects the day-of sales. Since the subs numbers are down, they are assuming that the day of sales will be down as well, and they are adjusting production based on that. So, expect faster sell outs to return, at least for a while until when/if Mattel adjusts their production numbers again.

Maybe we'll eventually get to a point where some items linger around long enough to give Mattel more of a clue of what's popular and what isn't (as was arguably the case with the Goddess and Zodak when they originally went on sale). But until that starts to happen frequently enough, they likely aren't going to get the message.
    Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; August 25, 2011 at 04:02pm.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Heroic Greed Horder Analog Jote's Avatar
    I have a sub, but I'm by no means a completist. I prefer the term Greed-Hoarder. Helps level out the playing field, since cherry picker has been given negative connotations. That said, I am a proud Greed Hoarder, and will do my best to stomp out the Cherry Pickers. DON"T BE PICKING CHERRIES FROM MY TREE!!!

eternia needs cherry pickers too.

Hey, It's cool to be a so called "Cherry Picker", but I really think the idea of that label is stupid.
    Not every person can afford a sub, not every person want's every figure and for those people, "buying as you go" is the smart choice. That's why I don't have a Ghostbusters sub.

I think it's unfortunate that Subs are being used to judge the health of the line now.
    Subs should only be there as an option for people like me that want every figure no matter what, but not as the expected option to buy MOTUC.
    Yes I sub because I want everything and also I like it that I don't have to be online at noon on the 15th.

Also I sure hope they don't raise the price for non sub buyers. I think that would be a bad move to punish casual buyers and well I think the website problems people encounter when they order are punishment enough.
    Last edited by Mye-Kah B; August 25, 2011 at 03:59pm.

Excellent post, Dynamo.

I totally expect the day-of sales, for the first three months of 2012 especially, to be a nightmare.

I'll be on there ordering an extra Sorceress with my Photog figure.

I won't be ordering a second Fisto... and as such, I'm glad that he's the only thing scheduled for Feb (as of now).

In March, I will want Draego-Man, but by that time, the add-in 30th Anniversary thing should be in effect.

The thing is, I'd probably want a second Thunder Punch He-Man. If I could add him into my Sub shipment, I'd buy one... but I can't... so I won't.

In a roundabout way, this is why, I too believe, that many people didn't bother subscribing.

They would rather have no subscription, and enjoy the freedom of ordering whatever they want each month, and having it all ship together.

Many customers may not be aware that mattel happened to mention that production numbers would be lower... so they expect to enjoy the same day or two-long buying window.

As for cherry pickers, I think they are great. I'm a DCUC cherry-picker. But as one, I never gripe about what is offered. The only time I did was when they offered the subscription, and I echoed what many others were saying: ENOUGH with the GREEN LANTERN characters lol!!

I only want Jay Garrick as Flash & Poison Ivy... so I didn't buy the subscription. I'm not going to complain if the sub doesn't go forward. I'm not going to complain that there are too many GL characters going forward, etc.

Cherry Pickers sort of excise themselves from the discussion about what a subscription should include, etc. Of course many pickers would argue that they would be subscribers if only vintage motu characters were included. I empathize with them, in a way, but we all know that MOTUC was intended for inclusion of all MOTU characters... and yes, I have always, and will always count characters like Vikor, Gygor, Angella, Mermista, Sagittar, Flogg, and Illumina as MOTU characters.

I do think that "cherry pickers" are important to sales though!!

Of course, some cherry pickers are pickers because they can't afford to subscribe... and that just stinks no matter how you look at it I don't know that there is any solace to offer buyers who just can't commit to the high prices
    Last edited by bcrduke; August 25, 2011 at 04:05pm.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Cherries are awesome! I don't usually pick them, but the grocery store sells 'em in these little bags.

...wait, what are we talkin' about?
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    ...wait, what are we talkin' about?
    The difference between buying the fresh, juicy cheeries you want, or buying every rotten fruit in the whole damn store

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    The difference between buying the fresh, juicy cheeries you want, or buying every rotten fruit in the whole damn store
    But this is MOTUC.

It's like cherry-picking through a bin of M&Ms... they all taste great... but some people have a strange affinity for only green ones... or red ones... some hated the light-brown ones and made such a stink that Mars Candy removed them forever... some like all of them...

I like all of them...

there are no rotten M&Ms.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    I'll be on there ordering an extra Sorceress with my Photog figure.

I won't be ordering a second Fisto... and as such, I'm glad that he's the only thing scheduled for Feb (as of now).

In March, I will want Draego-Man, but by that time, the add-in 30th Anniversary thing should be in effect.

The thing is, I'd probably want a second Thunder Punch He-Man. If I could add him into my Sub shipment, I'd buy one... but I can't... so I won't.
    Yeah, I'm not looking forward to it either. I have one sub and I'm actually considering getting a second Fisto to display him in both his classic and 200X forms. I'm not looking forward to battling the WSOD for that.

In a roundabout way, this is why, I too believe, that many people didn't bother subscribing.

They would rather have no subscription, and enjoy the freedom of ordering whatever they want each month, and having it all ship together.

Many customers may not be aware that mattel happened to mention that production numbers would be lower... so they expect to enjoy the same day or two-long buying window.
    Yup, these are good points. I stinks that when I do want to order the occasional extra figure because I have a use for more than 1 of a particular character, there's no way to combine it with my subscription shipment. I still subscribe to at least be guaranteed 1 of each of the items that are included in the sub, but I can see where people taking their chances on the sales days may just be more preferable.

I also agree about customer awareness. Some people may not have been paying much attention as to what's been going on since the initial SDCC announcements. They may assume everything is hunky-dory with ordering online next year. I guess they'll be unpleasantly surprised.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

From a business perspective, the so-called 'cherry-picker' is enormously important.

To keep the line going (and growing, which is what Mattel really want), they need to sell more and more subs to guarantee contstant revenue. However, no new fan is going to stumble across this line and buy a sub at first look- they'll make their first purchase and decide whether or not they want to make a second, third, fourth etc. Once they've got faith in a selection of figures, then they might consider buying into the line long-term. This is another reason we need core characters reissued and not necessarily the likes of Carnivus (who I like, but where the hell are Tro-Klops and Teela's reissues?).

To keep the line GROWING, the new and humble cherry-pickers are a potential gold mine.
    Last edited by Scorpia; August 25, 2011 at 04:22pm.
    Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - The Melog - Melaktha - Vultak - Dylamug - Crita - Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina - the Twiggets King Ahgo

I would just like to say that of course picking and choosing what you want to buy does not make you less of a fan than someone who buys everything.

For all I know, there's someone out there that is more of a fan of, say, Moss Man, than I am of my entire collection combined.

But having said that, you aren't as much of a fan financially speaking. Your $20 love of Moss Man doesn't add up to the $500+ sub cost for 2012.

And sales is what Mattel is concerned about. Not passion.
    Aaron
    PoP Variants are part of the vintage line, too! Starburst She-Ra, Shower Power Catra, and Scratchin' Sound Catra for 2015!!!

Heroic Warrior Ben Solstice-Moon's Avatar

That's why it's totally OK to be a cherry-picker.
    It is Ivan, and it's alright, it really is. There *always* has to be a perceived "bad guy" in collecting action figures to blame when something goes wrong and when you don't get what you want. In my 39 years, collecting for 34 of them since age 5, they used to use the word "scalper". Then it was "hoarders". Now "cherry pickers".

I'm not suggesting they're all the same, but they are the blame-receivers for what may be going wrong now. I only said "may".

Well well well. If it isn't the cherry pickers.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Yuck View Post
    Personally I have no problems with folks who choose not to buy the sub, or "cherry pick" as it is. The sub isn't a right fit for everyone, and it's an individual choice. I don't see anything wrong with it either.

The problem that I have is when people who are cherry pickers think Mattel's exploration of possibly increasing prices outside of the sub is a way to "punish" them. Frankly, it's an overreaction to something that is happening across many other product and service providers.
    Exactly. This hits the nail right on the head!
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

Cherry picker here, and not ashamed. Buy only what you like, that is my motto .

I am a subscriber, but it totally boggles my mind that anyone would fault another collector for only buying what they want... I mean, that is just the smart thing to do with your money, IMO!
    I'm hoping for a Disco Skeletor for the next subscription exclusive! Fully flocked!

"I don't like to feel good! I like to feel EVIL!"

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    If you "cherry-pick" you are just as much a fan as those who buy everything. And here's why - those who buy everything provide steady revenue for Mattel and that is nice. But, cherry-pickers give Mattel something even better than money - feedback. Because, no line can be expected to survive solely on fanaticism of the core fanbase. If it should survive and grow it needs to be good - and it needs to stay good. The idea that you only support the line by buying stuff is flawed - Mattel is not a charity. If you want to donate your money, donate to this site!

If we all just keep subscribing every year, regardless of what they do, the line would keep going, but it would essentially be on life support, begging the fans to give money so it can stay alive. That is not how MOTUC should be. MOTUC should simply be a good line, that people buy because they want the figures! It should stay alive naturally. And for that, we need to give feedback. We need to say if there's something we don't like. And, in the end, we should not buy the stuff we don't like. That way, Toyguru will be able to look at the numbers and say "hmmmm, this didn't go that well, let's not do that in the future". That way, they can change course, adapt, and keep it not only alive but also healthy and strong.
    I disagree. "Subbers" give Mattel an idea of how many Flipshots to safely make without risk of overproduction. Cherry pickers can not do this because they are a wild card. How well any leftover characters sell on sale day will vary depending on what is offered.

I know that this thread is supposed to empower cherry pickers, but frankly, I don't think the cherry pickers should care about being villainized. Every toyline has them. MOTUC is no exception.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)