View Poll Results: Were there too many variant figures in 2011 / do you want this to continue next year?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! - Too many variants swamp the line, would rather "first time" releases

48 44.86%
  • No! - I want these variants into my collection

11 10.28%
  • The rate of variants has been just about right this year

39 36.45%
  • Don't mind either way / other (discuss in thread)

9 8.41%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A year in MOTUC - did 2011 see too many variants, or do you want it to continue?

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar

A year in MOTUC - did 2011 see too many variants, or do you want it to continue?

Well, we'll see our last MOTUC release of the year next month. It's a year that's seen an increase on the number of variants of exisiting figures / characters in the line. How do you feel about this?

We've always been told (and we've always campaigned for) that we won't have a repeat of the 200x situation, where the line was totally swamped by "multiple needless variants".
    With MOTUC, it might be said that the variants are more carefully selected, and many of them requested by fans. Then again, we have seen a lot of them over the last 12 months, with more announced for next year. Would you rather see the time spent creating these versions put towards instead brining first time characters to the line?
    Last edited by Spacedust; November 16, 2011 at 06:24am. Reason: typo fix
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

I love the variants and look forward to more. I don't get all the anti-variant sentiment these days? There's 4 every year, hardly a massive influx. Although BP She-Ra added a 5th this year, it served a purpose.
    Some of them are much cooler than many monthly releases. And they don't take away from anything else, if anything they generate revenue for the line to be able to make uniquely tooled stuff.

Searching for this WORLD CLASS RESEARCH FACILITY I heard about.
    I have been preaching no more variants since the start. I think the only variants should be the original He-man, Hordak and Skeletor variants from the vintage line. I would much rather see new characters than variants. With Filmation we now have so many characters to get to so drop the snake variant ideas and so forth. Give me new characters.
    SKELETOR'S JOURNEY: You heard of Skeletor, Skeleteen and now Skelebaby? The saga of Skeletor's chronology to be continued in 2014. Stay tuned!!!

There were seven variants in 2011 counting BP She-Ra, BA Skeletor, Preternia Disguise He-Man, Hurricane Hordak, BG Evil-Lyn, BG Teela, and Battle Armor Faker. That's a pretty hefty amount and I certainly don't want any more than that released per year- but with the TRU two-packs a thing of the past and next year's Club Eternia Exclusive being an all-new figure, I imagine 2012 will be lighter on the variants.

I love the variants! It's not like we're getting that many, and they're not Disco repaints. They're all fantastic in my book. if you don't like it, either don't get the sub or sell yours to a fellow fan or customized who can part it out.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Nope: they've done VERY well with variants this time! We're getting all the really cool ones without them being a tsunami of the-same-guy-in-another-costume. They're also being doled out slowly, which is cool. Back in 200X you got REALLY tired of He-Man and Skeletor, while with this line I really look forward to who the next variant will be! I don't want the rate to be increased or decreased - we're doing fine as is.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    There were seven variants in 2011 counting BP She-Ra, BA Skeletor, Preternia Disguise He-Man, Hurricane Hordak, BG Evil-Lyn, BG Teela, and Battle Armor Faker. That's a pretty hefty amount and I certainly don't want any more than that released per year- but with the TRU two-packs a thing of the past and next year's Club Eternia Exclusive being an all-new figure, I imagine 2012 will be lighter on the variants.
    if you're going to count ba faker...

2010: ba he-man, missing tooth skeletor, king graskull, and FOUR tru variants (he-man, skeletor, mer-man, and stratos). technically, keldor was a vairant too, but i don't count him.

I voted the final choice.

I thought there were a fine amount of variants this year. I will agree that it makes affording things harder like that, but I would rather them make a character and have to buy it later second hand than them not get around to making a character at all.

Though I wont go so far as to say I want them to increase production on variants per month.

I'm trusting and "down" for whatever they want to do, and how they want to do it.

Not that I plan to get all variants. I dont need Snake Attack Mekanek, or Cardback colours Man E Faces or something.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    i think it is well layed out. we are not just getting he-man & skeletor but there characters. i've enjoyed all that has come so far.

The rate of variants has been just about right this year.
    Evil is a point of view - Lestat in Interview with the Vampire

See my trading feedback here: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eedback-Thread

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    Ironically I would LOVE a Disco Repaint!
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

I thought it was OK cause if I ever wanted to sell those I could and wouldn't have to sell the first. So either way it would be a win for me if I ever wanted to sell anything.
    By the Power of Grey Skull!

Evil & armed for combat TJRules's Avatar
    Variants are great, as long as it's reasonable. That's the key. As soon as we see disco skeletor, we have problems.
    Support Green Mini-Comic Trap Jaw in MOTUC!

Land Shark in MOTUC!!!!!! Do it Mattel!!! Do it NOW!!!!

Support The Power & Honor Foundation

Power-Con/ThunderCon... now going green with TMNT!

Disciple of ********s
    A die-hard here - love all variants, just because it lends a different slant. That Zodac was released (albeit with a DC hero) with Filmation colours - I simply cheered! Atthe end of the day I just want the line to go as far as it can with as many elemants (yes - even the new ones like Spector) as it possibly can.

I love variants, but I just wish we'd get more filmation variants in figure form. I would prefer to get filmation he-man, skeletor, marzo, teela, etc. before flying fist he-man, terror claw skeletor, etc.

Sorry but variants are what makes a line go round....I mean how many lines don't have have them?...and the TRU don't count, because they weren't part of the online figures.
    so 6 in 2011....

Not counting con or store exclusives, online figures only.

2009 had 2 repaints, not variants (new characters), but still same figure in different colors.
    Faker is just a blue He-Man with a different armor.
    The Goddess is just a green Teela with the snake armor head.

2010 had Battle Armor He-Man, 2 versions of Moss Man (both variants of each other, although not considered variants, but should be no matter how minor) & King Grayskull...
    The 2 He-Man re-tools / repaints:
    Adam got a new shirt and face, a re-used forearm, sword, and a re-used He-Man head..granted, Adam was not the main figure, but he was produced.
    Wun-Dar is just a dark haired, recolored clothing He-Man with a different armor.

I don't consider Keldor a variant, because he is a new character, even though he becomes Skeletor later...he is a not a straight re-paint either because he has many new parts..(head, feet, cape & different forearms than Skeletor...)

2011 has PED He-Man, BA Skeletor, BG Teela, H Hordak, BP She-Ra & BG Evil-Lyn (no straight re-paints in 2011, but all were variants).

2012, so far has SMAA & TP He-Man

So out of how many figures since 2008? 67 (counting Dec '11)?, we have only gotten 8 or so variants...not too many in my opinion, when I saw more variants in the vintage & 200X lines, in He-Man & Skeletor alone.

I don't consider the TRU versions as variants, because they were separate releases, not available for Matty sales, or available to sub buyers.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; December 3, 2011 at 11:12pm.
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

you forgot the molarr skeletor and the different he-ro variants (sdcc, and then i think there were three different color jewels on his staff).

also, i know i use faker as an example of a total repainted he-man a lot, but i just realized, he does have a computer painted on his chest.

I'm fine with the four quarterly variants, but that's about it for me.

And, for the record, I much prefer a variant like Battleground Teela with more difference from the original figure. The figure is different enough where she could be an entirely separate character.

Quote Originally Posted by EldestSon View Post
    you forgot the molarr skeletor and the different he-ro variants (sdcc, and then i think there were three different color jewels on his staff).

also, i know i use faker as an example of a total repainted he-man a lot, but i just realized, he does have a computer painted on his chest.
    I was only counting the repaints / variants that weren't sold at cons, or con exclusives...mostly the ones only available on the Matty site, that you couldn't get anywhere else. The regular He-Ro, Orko & Glenn figures were Matty versions of the con exclusives...but were only available online...or were they available at the cons as well as their exclusive counterparts?

And yes Faker has a painted on computer tape reel, that happens to supposedly work despite following the shape of his Pecks?...well it is Eternia, land of Magic & Tech!!!
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    I was only counting the repaints / variants that weren't sold at cons, or con exclusives...mostly the ones only available on the Matty site, that you couldn't get anywhere else. The regular He-Ro, Orko & Glenn figures were Matty versions of the con exclusives...but were only available online...or were they available at the cons as well as their exclusive counterparts?
    i gotcha.

molarr skeletor was available on matty.com.

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Just about right. I can't complain until they start making stupid ass variants...like Snake Man-At-Arms.

So far, I've liked all the quarterly variants. Snake Man-At-Arms is the only bad one.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    I love the variants! It's not like we're getting that many, and they're not Disco repaints. They're all fantastic in my book. if you don't like it, either don't get the sub or sell yours to a fellow fan or customized who can part it out.
    I agree.

Plus none of the variants, in my opinion, was to much like its character's original figure, save for BG Evil-Lyn (and to me, she was different enough).

Battle Armor Faker was a little cheap, but he was a cool idea.
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Huge custard eating power flaming_knob's Avatar
    So long as the varients are of different characters and not thousands of He-man and Skeletors I'm happy.
    We don't need no education...

Yes you do, you've just used a double negative!

As long as the variants have meaning as to why such characters would wear them depending on the situation.

Recently moved to GA! Help! I need to know new people!
    The variants we got so far are useful to the continuation of the line, IMO. As long as it's not the spin-blade and disco versions of the 200X line, they're all good!
    By the Power... and For the Honor of GRAYSKULL!!!
    HE-MAN and SHE-RA Rules!!!

"Frustration is only felt when one realizes there is an option!"
    - Ancient One (BeastMaster: The Series; Fifth Element)

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from MAGIC!
    - Clarke's Third Law