Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hunger Games (movie)

The Hunger Games (movie)

We'll keep this book spoiler free.

Anyone else excited about this one? I read all three books in a flash and I thought it was a really great story. I don't read that many YA novels, to be honest, but a friend recommended them and I was hooked.

The casting seemed amazing (Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss should be amazing) and the first teaser is now out and so far, so good. They've already given two covers of Entertainment Weekly to the movie, and the look and feel of the costumes are great so far.

YES!!!! I can't wait for this too! Thanks for sharing the teaser.
    I love He-Man.org!!!

I know nothing about these books other than the fact my wife loves them and is super excited about the movie. I'll show her this teaser when I get home tonight.

I heartily recommend the books. I thought they were some Twilight-like thing. But that couldn't have been farther from the truth. In fact, the books are so brutal at times I kind of wonder how the movies will handle it.

Anyway, here's director Gary Ross's commentary on the teaser. Obviously, it's a short teaser so he doesn't have THAT much to say... still pretty interesting though.

Get More: 2011 VMA, Music

A friend of mine recommended this series to me, so I picked up the first one at a Waldenbooks that was closing. The clerks asked me if I wanted to pick up the 2nd and 3rd as well... I laughed and said, "What if I don't like the first one?" They just kinds chuckled and said, "Yeah, well, you'll see."

Of course, they were right. I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic stories and for gladiator/fight to the death stories, so I loved it! I'll snag books 2 and 3 the next time I'm near the bookstore for sure. I'm very excited to see how the movie turns out!

The books are super-addictive. I read them all in a short amount of time. I agree that the books can be violent and I wonder how they're going to film certain scenes...

Poopie Flingin' Monkey! Slothboy's Avatar
    Guess I'm the odd man out here. I thought the books were terrible (to the point where a friend had to beg me to finish the last book). The main character Katniss is irritating to the point where I spent 2 and 2/3 books praying that she would die. As far as casting goes the only one who met my mental image of what the characters looked like was Peeta all the rest don't fit especially Gayle, Haymitch, and Cinna. Terrible Terrible casting on those three.

However despite my not liking them I at least found them well written. This was not the case with the Forest of Hands and Teeth series that was in addition to being a bad story with annoying characters and more plot holes/inconsistencies that I thought possible was also written with the quality of a middle school student.

Heroic Photog Supporter musclor's Avatar
    I absolutely loved the books, but don't find myself getting too excited for the movie. The casting so far doesn't match my imagination, mainly. I typically prefer books to movies in general, though...
    Photog is here! thank you, Mattel!

Now how about some mini-comics love (like Lodar, Geldor, Dakon......)? And Mermista?

Heroic Warrior
    I read Book 1 on Black Friday last week. I'm about 60 pages into book 2. It's a good story so far. The movie looks like it's going to be good to me.

Evil Master of Warcraft
    I can't wait for this. I finally got around to reading the first book and I'm hooked. Halfway through the second now. Just in case you haven't seen it, here is the trailer.

Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait a minute, this sounds familiar...

...Hold on, I'm thinking...

...almost there...

I GOT IT:

Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Evil Master of Warcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait a minute, this sounds familiar...

...Hold on, I'm thinking...

...almost there...

I GOT IT:

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.co...tle_royale.jpg

Interesting. However, I did some looking into and it seems that they are similar, yet different. I can see where you are coming from though, it's like comparing Avatar to Dances with Wolves, to Pocahontas. Yes the story is similar, but from what I can tell it is different enough to stand on its own. Here is an interesting blog about the similarities and differences.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

Book one was good to okay. Books two and three were garbage, but you don't have to agree. I was excited until my wife told me what studio is doing it. When I heard the studio announce on cnbc that they approached the filming of this movie as a romance similar to twilight, I lost interest.

Evil Master of Warcraft
    Plus I'm not sure what it is exactly, but I find Jennifer Lawrence to be extremely hot in this movie.

the-hunger-games-movie-photo-jennifer-lawrence-02.jpg

RAWR!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GeologyMule View Post
    Interesting. However, I did some looking into and it seems that they are similar, yet different. I can see where you are coming from though, it's like comparing Avatar to Dances with Wolves, to Pocahontas. Yes the story is similar, but from what I can tell it is different enough to stand on its own. Here is an interesting blog about the similarities and differences.
    Sadly, I am not convinced.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil Master of Warcraft
    Sadly, I am not convinced.
    I'm curious if you have read either or both? I've not read Battle Royal, but I know there is more to Hunger Games than just the gist of the story, and from what I've read in the book it is different enough than the gist of Battle Royal.

Heroic Warrior
    I was surprised how much I cared about the characters by the end of book 3. For a bit of Young Adult fluff, I thought the books were really well done (and much deeper than "Young Adult fluff"). At the end of the day, the books to me are about coming to terms with and surviving trauma. Katniss' journey appeared true-to-life to me. I hope that the movie is good. I saw X-Men First Class over the weekend (finally) and am not totally sold on Jennifer Lawrence. Hot? Yes. Able to pull off Katniss Everdeen? Not so sure. We shall see.

While this seems like it's just another entry in the 'young adult novel' genre that Hollywood is so obsessed with these days, the '1984', and 'Running Man' elements make it sound kinda interesting, and the female lead is almost the exact opposite of Bella. Yet, knowing The Main Stream Media, and The Gossip Industry, (Yeah, I'm looking at you, E! News) They're gonna pander to the 'Twilight' crowd by exploiting the so called 'love triangle' like crazy while downplaying the sci-fi, and dystopian elements.

I'm curious if you have read either or both? I've not read Battle Royal, but I know there is more to Hunger Games than just the gist of the story, and from what I've read in the book it is different enough than the gist of Battle Royal.
    Honestly, I never even heard of the books before this movie. However, teen romance I do not need, so I have no plans to read the books. Besides, I still have like 4 or 5 James Bond books left, along with the remaining stories from Conan and HP Lovecraft that I have not read yet. Add on top that I am currently reading Dante's Inferno, and I'm too busy for something like this or John Carter.

Evil Master of Warcraft
    However, teen romance I do not need, so I have no plans to read the books.
    You shouldn't be so quick to judge a book you haven't read. It isn't a teen romance novel.

Yes, it's not a teen romance novel at all. It's actually a (surprisingly) brutal novel. Although there are two males that the lead has affection for, you could hardly classify them as a romance, in some ways. This is partly due to the lead character's personality and partly because of the circumstances. They are actually quite complicated in terms of the way they relate to each other. I was fearful of another Twilight and was surprised at how engrossing a read they were and how well thought out the sci-fi universe the characters inhabit is.
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

I can not wait to see this movie, not only because it looks good, but also because Jennifer Lawrence is from my hometown!!!
    Last edited by MOTU_Maniac; February 27, 2012 at 04:57pm.
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

Evil Master of Warcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    but also because Jennifer Lawrence is from my hometown!!!
    DUDE hook a brother up!

You shouldn't be so quick to judge a book you haven't read. It isn't a teen romance novel.
    I have my reservations with this movie since it seems to be the next "Twilight". I think that there's too much hype on this movie but it still not convinced me to watch it at the theaters. It still looks too "teen" for me.

Regarding books, right now I'm hook up with Dark Tower saga, which leaves me with 2 more books to read.
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

Evil Master of Warcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhanen View Post
    I have my reservations with this movie since it seems to be the next "Twilight".
    Everyone I know that have read it love it. One of the principals of my company walked into my office today and saw I had it on my desk and he said him and his wife read all three books recently on vacation. When I was reading the second one on the plane a woman leaned over and commented on how awesome the books are. A co-worker my age saw me reading them and he picked it up and read it in less than a day and commented on how he can't wait to get home and get his wife to read them and get the other two on kindle. Another co-worker saw I was reading it and she commented on how she couldn't put the last two down after she read the first one. I got another one of my friends to read it and she has been begging me to loan her the second one. Another one of my friends told me before I read them "I can't believe you haven't read them! They are awesome and I can't wait for the movie."

Everyone I mentioned above was over 30 years old. Now when my 14 year old niece read the book is less than a day she ended up with a compound bow from me to shoot stuff. I've yet to have anyone say anything bad to me about them that have read them.

Trust me, nothing like Twilight. Yes, I have read all of those in order to compare.

btw I'm not saying they are the best books ever written. I'm saying you all are judging it unjustly.