Thread: The Hunger Games (movie)

Hybrid View

The Hunger Games (movie)

We'll keep this book spoiler free.

Anyone else excited about this one? I read all three books in a flash and I thought it was a really great story. I don't read that many YA novels, to be honest, but a friend recommended them and I was hooked.

The casting seemed amazing (Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss should be amazing) and the first teaser is now out and so far, so good. They've already given two covers of Entertainment Weekly to the movie, and the look and feel of the costumes are great so far.

YES!!!! I can't wait for this too! Thanks for sharing the teaser.
    I love He-Man.org!!!

I know nothing about these books other than the fact my wife loves them and is super excited about the movie. I'll show her this teaser when I get home tonight.

I heartily recommend the books. I thought they were some Twilight-like thing. But that couldn't have been farther from the truth. In fact, the books are so brutal at times I kind of wonder how the movies will handle it.

Anyway, here's director Gary Ross's commentary on the teaser. Obviously, it's a short teaser so he doesn't have THAT much to say... still pretty interesting though.

Get More: 2011 VMA, Music

A friend of mine recommended this series to me, so I picked up the first one at a Waldenbooks that was closing. The clerks asked me if I wanted to pick up the 2nd and 3rd as well... I laughed and said, "What if I don't like the first one?" They just kinds chuckled and said, "Yeah, well, you'll see."

Of course, they were right. I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic stories and for gladiator/fight to the death stories, so I loved it! I'll snag books 2 and 3 the next time I'm near the bookstore for sure. I'm very excited to see how the movie turns out!

The books are super-addictive. I read them all in a short amount of time. I agree that the books can be violent and I wonder how they're going to film certain scenes...

After 5 sold out showings we finally got into Hunger Games, well worth the wait!

They handled some of the deaths very well, one of the last ones I almost broke down and others did

Man the amount of people you would have thought a concert was tonight

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    After 5 sold out showings we finally got into Hunger Games, well worth the wait!
    That's why my wife and I went up to the theater on Friday in order to purchase tickets for a Saturday show. The shows kept selling out well in advance on MovieTickets.com, so I called the theater and they said the best thing for us to do is come up to the theater and purchase the tickets ahead of time. Glad we did. EXCELLENT movie!!
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    That's why my wife and I went up to the theater on Friday in order to purchase tickets for a Saturday show. The shows kept selling out well in advance on MovieTickets.com, so I called the theater and they said the best thing for us to do is come up to the theater and purchase the tickets ahead of time. Glad we did. EXCELLENT movie!!
    Yeah we never know when we will be at the theater so we just go (since its in a big mall) and then I buy the tickets from fandango on my iPhone and we walk up and show them the # and they print out

When we got there the showings were still open so we went to get something to eat and then by the time we got back 15min later 5 of them had sold out

We got in at the 8:50 show, they still had 9:15/9:50/10:30 and after we got our popcorn we passed the queues for those people waiting for the 10:30 show 2hrs early
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Will be watching Battle Royale first but hey the way I see it, this isn't something new; where something is based or inspired from something else, taken to a different 'spin' or direction. So I'll give 'em both a chance and hope I'm entertained by them.
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

I really don't think the age group matters. It's a mature story dealing with adult problems. I'll get into specifics.

1. They attempt at social commentary dealing with what horrible things people are willing to watch on television and that if everyone stopped watching, the hunger games would end. The essential reason for the games is to keep citizens afraid and under control.

The movie does a poor job of getting any of this across, instead there are scenes where they say bits of this stuff out loud. I bet reading the book fills this story telling gap easily.

2. The two people from district 12, Katniss and this guy. There's a ton of tension and possible history between the two. The movie does a poor job of telling you why and what. Also there is romance between the two, but it's only for the cameras. The movie never tells you this. But the book I'm guessing covers all this in detail and you take that with you in the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    1. They attempt at social commentary dealing with what horrible things people are willing to watch on television and that if everyone stopped watching, the hunger games would end. The essential reason for the games is to keep citizens afraid and under control.
    They did this concept before in Deathrace and The Condemned but a little different twitch....

The concept is nothing new, it dates back as early as Arnold's The Running Man. I guess the story telling is what matters, the one in the books anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    The concept is nothing new, it dates back as early as Arnold's The Running Man. I guess the story telling is what matters, the one in the books anyway.
    Yea forgot about that one as well

Hunger Games took down Titanic 3D Anniversary and could repeat as #1 again, if it comes in #2 it will be just behind Ameican Pie Reunion

Yeah so much for audiences only wanting to see it once, should comfortably reach $325-350m by the time it starts to wane. Not too shabby for a $78m film with a small ad budget

The shaky camera made me only want to see it once.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    The shaky camera made me only want to see it once.
    It made me want to throw up several times however!

Looks like 'SNL' has jumped on the band wagon.

Quote Originally Posted by vertigoink View Post
    It made me want to throw up several times however!
    Oh me too. I had to take off my glasses and close my eyes when those scenes came.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Master of New Adventures!
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Hunger Games took down Titanic 3D Anniversary and could repeat as #1 again, if it comes in #2 it will be just behind Ameican Pie Reunion

Yeah so much for audiences only wanting to see it once, should comfortably reach $325-350m by the time it starts to wane. Not too shabby for a $78m film with a small ad budget
    Who needs an ad budget when you've got that many books in print and rabid legions waiting for the film?

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Who needs an ad budget when you've got that many books in print and rabid legions waiting for the film?
    Agreed, but that does not stop studios a lot of the time
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Well, all I can say is this...

GO, KATNISS!!!!!!

Girl, you on fire!!
    Last edited by mbaker; April 8, 2012 at 05:34pm.

Seriously, I figured this week it would be #2 (just behind) but another week at #1 with a small drop off

It should keep doing well through April, there are no really big movies coming out until The Avengers on 5/4