Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hunger Games (movie)

Master of New Adventures!
    My twelve-year old Alex (and most of his friends) says this is one of his top ten favorite novels -- and my son devours novels.

It really is best to ignore the Twilight comparisons. The media seems to want to make the comparison, and I am SURE you will see some commercials for the movie that try to cater to that audience. But if the movie is anything like the books it won't be ANYTHING like Twilight. Katniss Everdeen is the anti-Bella. She's actually a female character I wouldn't mind my niece emulating, for one thing. And just on a pure narrative and character construction level, Collins is a better writer than Meyers by a mile.

I actually hope they don't go too far into the Twilight-like ad route because I believe the books have a broad appeal across gender lines and if the movie is half as engrossing as the books then it could be a big crossover hit. But I can see how people would be turned off by incessant Twilight comparisons. I would. I tried to read the first book way back before it was a "thing" and just couldn't finish it.

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    I actually just read the series - tore through it, actually. It's an easy read, but it's quite good...the characters are well-written, and Katniss is a very solid main character...not at all Bella.

I agree that they may try to take this into a Twilight direction, ad-wise, but it wouldn't accurately reflect the tone of the books. I'd really like to see this stand on its own, and become its own "thing".

My wife's more into the series than I, but I've already been informed we'll be seeing the film in theatres. From what I can tell, it looks really well cast (although envisioning it while reading it, I would have switched Hutcherson and Hemsworth.)
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

perhaps they are comparing it to twilight because both were teen novels that were a hit with fans? I dunno just guessing.

I'm a bad librarian. I havent read them. The first one sat on my shelf for two years, and no one read it. Now that the movie is coming I can't keep it on the shelf.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

So far the reception to the Hunger Games is pretty awesome critic-wise. Obviously, it's still early days but Variety and Hollywood Reporter are liking it. It has a 100% on Rotten Tomatoes, but only 12 reviews are in.

Here's a quote from the Telegraph:

"The Hunger Games is an essential science fiction film for our times; perhaps the essential science fiction film of our times. Whatever your age, it demands to be devoured."

I've not read the books, but looking forward to seeing this.

My twelve-year old Alex consumed the novel, and his friends loved it, too. Can't wait to see the film. Well, actually I can't wait to see Jennifer. John Carter's first on Sunday though. We'll do Games midweek. Is it just me or do there seem to be some (surprisngly) decent films out lately?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    My twelve-year old Alex consumed the novel, and his friends loved it, too. Can't wait to see the film. Well, actually I can't wait to see Jennifer. John Carter's first on Sunday though. We'll do Games midweek. Is it just me or do there seem to be some (surprisngly) decent films out lately?
    Oh lawd even you Olesker who made NA tolerable have been swayed by the power of Hunger Games! IS THERE NO END IN SIGHTTTT! No seriously though I think it's great that there's this "beefing up" of content within YA as of late to get kids into reading in general. What I hope is that this opens kids minds to the great literary classics of history as opposed to being a gateway into even more YA fluff that was written purely for the sake of cashing in on this "fad". Twilight comes to mind when I think of the worst case scenario of YA material and Hunger Games represents the best case scenario of YA.

Quote Originally Posted by vertigoink View Post
    Oh lawd even you Olesker who made NA tolerable have been swayed by the power of Hunger Games! IS THERE NO END IN SIGHTTTT! No seriously though I think it's great that there's this "beefing up" of content within YA as of late to get kids into reading in general. What I hope is that this opens kids minds to the great literary classics of history as opposed to being a gateway into even more YA fluff that was written purely for the sake of cashing in on this "fad". Twilight comes to mind when I think of the worst case scenario of YA material and Hunger Games represents the best case scenario of YA.
    I'm with you on the literacy issue, vert. The Harry Potter books brought millions of children back to reading. It was never an issue for Kim and me as we have read to our three children every night from their birth until I-don't-want-to-say-how-old, so they have gone on countless adventures through reading and each own home libraries containing close to as many volumes as can be found in the Main Branch of the chicago Public Library. In truth I read to each of my children while they were in utero, the Dr. Suess adaptation Oh Baby The Places You'll Go, which was intended to be read in utero, being my favorite. http://www.amazon.com/Oh-Baby-Places.../dp/0679885722 (I challenge any Dad-to-be to read that book to their soon-to-arrive angel through Mom's belly and not have to wipe a tear as they read the final page.)

It's my belief that, aside from providing unconditional love, the single best thing you can do for your children is to read to them every single night while they are young. And it's a pleasure to see this renaissance of interest in reading by young adults. For that Hunger Games has my gratitude -- along with The Red Pyramid http://www.amazon.com/Red-Pyramid-Ka...p/1423113381-- for continuing the Harry Potter job.

That said, I'm still looking forward to seeing Jennifer.

And thanks, vert, for the backhanded nod to NA.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; March 16, 2012 at 10:56pm.

*Just a reminder; please refrain from posting raunchy comments and/or videos with vulgarity.

Quote Originally Posted by Thatman View Post
    *Just a reminder; please refrain from posting raunchy comments and/or videos with vulgarity.
    Gosh I hope that wasn't aimed at me. Was my comment about Jennifer considered over the line?

Gosh I hope that wasn't aimed at me. Was my comment about Jennifer considered over the line?
    It definitely was not!

As for YA stuff being a gateway for continued reading, I am OVERJOYED at series like Harry Potter and Hunger Games for keeping books in younger people's minds. I think it's great, especially if they are well written. I was a complete book nerd as a kid. I visited my library so much, that when I was 13 they asked me to speak at the re-dedication!

I actually think if you can get kids reading much of anything, they'll find the good stuff. When I was very young after the storybooks my mom read me, I started reading MOTU or Transformers storybooks, and then moved onto things like Choose Your Own Adventure. I was also a big William Sleator fan. Then, when I was eight I read my first "big" book. It was a Star Trek: The Next Generation novel called Ghost Ship by Diane Carey. After I conquered that, I felt like I could read anything. And I never, ever stopped.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm with you on the literacy issue, vert. The Harry Potter books brought millions of children back to reading. It was never an issue for Kim and me as we have read to our three children every night from their birth until I-don't-want-to-say-how-old, so they have gone on countless adventures through reading and each own home libraries containing close to as many volumes as can be found in the Main Branch of the chicago Public Library. In truth I read to each of my children while they were in utero, the Dr. Suess adaptation Oh Baby The Places You'll Go, which was intended to be read in utero, being my favorite. http://www.amazon.com/Oh-Baby-Places.../dp/0679885722 (I challenge any Dad-to-be to read that book to their soon-to-arrive angel through Mom's belly and not have to wipe a tear as they read the final page.)

It's my belief that, aside from providing unconditional love, the single best thing you can do for your children is to read to them every single night while they are young. And it's a pleasure to see this renaissance of interest in reading by young adults. For that Hunger Games has my gratitude -- along with The Red Pyramid http://www.amazon.com/Red-Pyramid-Ka...p/1423113381-- for continuing the Harry Potter job.

That said, I'm still looking forward to seeing Jennifer.

And thanks, vert, for the backhanded nod to NA.
    No I was serious in that you were perhaps one of the rare good things about that travesty lol- the scripts were far more intelligent than the finished product was and I know myself and other fans respect the hell out of what you put up with on that series lol.

Master of Invisibility MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    Jennifer and I grew up in the same area of Kentucky. I wrote and requested an autographed picture that just arrived. Enjoy

Last edited by MOTU_Maniac; March 17, 2012 at 07:45am.
    Enter my $200 CASH GIVEAWAY to Help
    Promote the 2015 Club Eternia Subscription.

WE can do this together because.....

EVERY SUB COUNTS whether it is 1 or 1,000!!!!

I think YA lit has more freedom than other genres because it is always morphing and they are always looking for new and exciting things, and thats why we see new authors and great stories.

Whatever gets my students to read I'm fine with that. Rape, incest, cutting, adventure, magic. I don't really care. The point is they are reading.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Not at all.

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure why Hunger Games keeps getting compared with Twilight, beyond the marketing...the books really are quite dissimilar. I suppose it's the selling point, though, trying to catch the Potter/Twilight market.
    Having just read the books, though, I think overall the movie is fantastically cast (though Hemsworth as Gale is not at all how I pictured him.)

is it just me or does the quality of this movie look bad? it looks like a made for tv movie. it's the picture quality, I tend to have a hard time getting over that for movies and tv shows, it's one of the reasons why as a kid I hated most Canadian tv shows.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Here's A shameless example of the media comparing 'The Hunger Games' to 'Twilight'.

http://www.eonline.com/photos/galler...lleryUUID=3386

Quote Originally Posted by E! Online
    Bella Swan (Kristen Stewart) is an irresistibly gutsy high schooler with a habit of attracting supernatural hunks and getting herself in (and out of) vampy trouble. Man, can she be mopey, though.

Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) is a super poor teen hunting to feed her family, with a habit of attracting unwanted attention—especially while forced to fighting to the death in futuristic battle royale on live TV. But does she have to be so clueless about guys?
    This prooves my suspicion that the gossip industry is only fawning over this film is simply because it's based on A popular novel written by A woman starring a female lead who befriends two guys, but that's where the similarities end.

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    is it just me or does the quality of this movie look bad? it looks like a made for tv movie. it's the picture quality, I tend to have a hard time getting over that for movies and tv shows, it's one of the reasons why as a kid I hated most Canadian tv shows.
    It might just be you. I don't see that at all. The look isn't hyper-stylized or slick like some movies are today. It feels like they are going for a more natural feel, but the picture quality and lighting doesn't look like a TV movie to me.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    It might just be you. I don't see that at all. The look isn't hyper-stylized or slick like some movies are today. It feels like they are going for a more natural feel, but the picture quality and lighting doesn't look like a TV movie to me.
    I'm not looking for hyper-stylized, but something feels cheap to me about the look, the trailers do NOTHING for me. which means it will be a huge hit
    Last edited by krosfyah; March 18, 2012 at 06:38pm.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Well, it's all subjective and your perception is your reality. I certainly won't argue you're wrong! I just don't see it myself.

Evil Master of Warcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    I'm not looking for hyper-stylized, but something feels cheap to me about the look, the trailers do NOTHING for me. which means it will be a huge hit
    I grew up fairly poor in the coalfields, same place as District 12. There isn't anything spectacular about the area.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

Considering how much E! has been gushing over 'The Hunger Games' (Even though it actually sounds interesting) I wouldn't be surprised if Ryan Seacrest produced A 'reality show' for E! where young people are picked at random to participate in violent competition while he, and he freaky cohorts at E! News gleefully exploit the poor kids like crazy. These people are probably not aware that the 'ruling class' types of 'The Capital' are really just an 'over the top' parody of them.
    Last edited by mbaker; March 22, 2012 at 09:10am.

Master of Invisibility MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    VERY excited to see the movie; however it might be a few days until I can see it. Seems many of the shows are already selling out AND it is going to be played on 6 screens at my theater!!!
    Enter my $200 CASH GIVEAWAY to Help
    Promote the 2015 Club Eternia Subscription.

WE can do this together because.....

EVERY SUB COUNTS whether it is 1 or 1,000!!!!

Evil Master of Warcraft
    I pre-ordered my ticket on Fandango for an IMAX showing and they sent me a code to get this song free on iTunes from the soundtrack

Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980