Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hunger Games (movie)

Master of New Adventures!
    Quote Originally Posted by GeologyMule View Post
    Plus I'm not sure what it is exactly, but I find Jennifer Lawrence to be extremely hot in this movie.

Attachment 72273

RAWR!!!!!!!!!

To paraphrase Potter Stewart, "It may be hard to define, but I know it when I see it."

Quote Originally Posted by mbaker View Post
    Here's A shameless example of the media comparing 'The Hunger Games' to 'Twilight'.

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eryUUID%3D3386

This prooves my suspicion that the gossip industry is only fawning over this film is simply because it's based on A popular novel written by A woman starring a female lead who befriends two guys, but that's where the similarities end.
    Yeah one (Hunger Games) is an excellent book whereas the other (Twilight) is hack written garbage
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    Sadly, I am not convinced.
    With twenty-six million books in print and after thirty-six consecutive months on worldwide bestseller lists, I've a feeling Ms. Collins isn't losing sleep over your sadness.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    With twenty-six million books in print and after thirty-six consecutive months on worldwide bestseller lists, I've a feeling Ms. Collins isn't losing sleep over your sadness.
    We can't keep the book in stock at our university library, everytime someone returns its someone else has it booked and all our digital copies have wait lists.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Realist. Deal with it. Lord Anubis's Avatar
    Saw it tonight cause the ball and chain took me..... bored to tears. Shes a huge fan and even she wanted out. Pretty big let down, and the fact that you dont get to see the kills in any detail sucked. I know its a big budget film aimed at tween-agers, but the cloverfeild style of camerawork at times took away from the visuals, and they definately needed to give a bit more history on the other kids. Battle Royale or bust!!!!!!!
    "We are the tools of our own imagination, constructing temples and cathedrals in which our most outlandish dreams become truth." - Samael

The marketing of "The Hunger Games" makes me laugh almost as much as the defending of Bay's Teenage Alien Ninja Turtles'. The media is trying to make this out to be the next "Twilight", down to the Team This Guy vs. Team That Guy routine. I'm going to laugh so hard when all these rabid 'Twihards', and the gossip rags go to this movie thinking it will be about pretty white kids brooding about their "life problems" in between sessions of staring longingly into each others eyes, and instead, they have to sit through a smart, well made fantasy movie with social commentary! The joke will be on them!

Hunger Games made $19.75M on Thursday Midnight showings!

Lionsgate’s The Hunger Games is already shattering records. Its opening $19.75 box office result from 2,565 midnight locations set the record for all-time highest-grossing non-sequel midnights ever. It’s also the 7th highest midnight gross of all time. To understand how gigantic this result is, Batman reboot The Dark Knight did $18.5M in midnights on a summer opening in 2008. It’s also the highest IMAX non-summer non-holiday 2D opening of all time, earning $1.3M from 269 IMAX locations. That’s the highest midnights behind Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part One ($1.4M) and Part Two ($2.0M) and more than Transformers 3 ($1.3M).
    Crazy numbers for a spring release.
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Its going to open between $100-140m and take in an additional $200-250m overseas for a possible weekend gross of $300-400m. Amazing numbers in 3 days for a new property

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Its going to open between $100-140m and take in an additional $200-250m overseas for a possible weekend gross of $300-400m. Amazing numbers in 3 days for a new property
    Some records will be going down for sure!
    As we express our gratitude,
    we must never forget that
    the highest appreciation
    is not to utter words,
    but to live by them.

~John F. Kennedy

Now comes a whole flurry of articles on the web about it not being appropriate to take tweens to see HG. And I'll grant that the point some of the articles make about "children killing children" in the film being especially difficult for younger viewers is an important one.

So now I'm conflicted about whether or not to take my very mature twelve-year old Alex to see it. He loved the novel and almost all of his friends can't wait to see the film, but seeing it on the screen is different.

Any opinions on this from orgers would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Now comes a whole flurry of articles on the web about it not being appropriate to take tweens to see HG. And I'll grant that the point some of the articles make about "children killing children" in the film being especially difficult for younger viewers is an important one.

So now I'm conflicted about whether or not to take my very mature twelve-year old Alex to see it. He loved the novel and almost all of his friends can't wait to see the film, but seeing it on the screen is different.

I have heard that they don't show the actual "kills", but I don't know if that makes a difference. But note that I am someone that never even saw a movie in a theater until I was 18. lol.
    the highest appreciation
    is not to utter words,
    but to live by them.

~John F. Kennedy

They dont really show much gore or violence (sadly) its mostly implied. You only get one death on screen and its just a arrow shot. There isnt anything really to be concerned over with this one. They really aimed to play this safe so younger kids can watch it (sadly).

I want Battle Royale to make a US Theatrical run.... parents would have been burning hollywood to the ground over it lol. Over all though, the writing was underwhelming, no one had good developement and the camera work SUCKED.
    "We are the tools of our own imagination, constructing temples and cathedrals in which our most outlandish dreams become truth." - Samael

Evil Master of Warcraft

Yet another co-worker is reading it and said he was about done. He asked me before he left the office, knowing I was going tomorrow, to let him know if his 10 and 11 y/o boys should watch it. He knew by reading the books how rough it is, but with a PG-13 rating who knows?
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

Quote Originally Posted by GeologyMule View Post
    Yet another co-worker is reading it and said he was about done. He asked me before he left the office, knowing I was going tomorrow, to let him know if his 10 and 11 y/o boys should watch it. He knew by reading the books how rough it is, but with a PG-13 rating who knows?
    Well, good and thoughtful input from Lord and MOTU on this (thanks, guys). I've also conferred with a couple of parents whose opinions I respect. I've decided to let Alex see it...with a group of eight of his friends tomorrow.

There's a ton of hype and marketing for this movie based on a series of young adult novels that I've never read. It's set in a post apocalyptic future where North America has been destroyed and now what remains are 13 districts. 12 of them poor and one very wealthy. The wealthy capitol punish the 12 poor districts every year for their failed rebellion by choosing one boy and girl to compete in the Hunger Games. It's televised survival game to the death where there's only one winner.

The main concept is kind of The Running Man meets The Truman Show. It's mainly focused Katniss Everdeen. Her sister was chosen and she volunteers in her place instead. The actual games don't begin til the second half of the film. The first half is focuses on the reality show aspect where each player has to market themselves to the public so they can gain special favors such as supplies. The actual game aspect isn't all that interesting or thrilling. If you've seen Battle Royal, then you've seen more than this movie is willing to show or offer. It's extremely tame and sometimes a little too cheesy with the few sentimental moments the movie does show.

I don't know. The movie was entertaining and I haven't read the book, but I don't get the big deal about it. It's been made before and better. Katniss wasn't some iconic character like Lisbeth Salander, Ripley, or even Alice from Resident Evil. She's just someone ordinary person we follow on screen. The movie is also unusually calm and slow when it could have been more intense or suspenseful.

Should you see it? You're not missing out on anything special.

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    If that happens it would put it in the top 10 of all opening weekends and in the top ten of fastest-to-$100m.

Pretty impressive. What's even more impressive is that it's done this in large part by virtue of the novel. I believe this bodes well for everyone -- parents that want their children to read, publishers and motion picture producers and studios. Good for the overall economy, too. (There's gonna be a lot of popcorn sold because of this film. ) It's a cliche, but I'd call that a win-win scenario.

Well, it's on track to make that...

'Hunger Games' on track for nearly $70 mil Friday
    "The Hunger Games" is catching fire at the domestic box office, with early Friday estimates putting the Lionsgate pic on track for a whopping three-day opening north of $140 million, becoming one of the top 10 best Stateside openings of all-time.
    Based on the popular young adult novels by Suzanne Collins, "The Hunger Games" stormed out of the gate Thursday night, earning an impressive $19.7 million in midnight runs, with some auds staying up into the wee hours for a 3 a.m. screening. Factoring in the $19.7 million in late-night bows, "Games" should gross nearly $70 million Friday from 4,137 locations.
    I'm going to see it tomorrow at 10am! I'm liking what people are saying so far about it. Seems like they did a good job with it. I need to see a good movie to make up for the one I saw tonight.

I'm going to see it tomorrow at 10am! I'm liking what people are saying so far about it. Seems like they did a good job with it. I need to see a good movie to make up for the one I saw tonight.
    I am going to see it tomorrow also. Bought my tickets tonight since shows here are selling out well in advance.
    the highest appreciation
    is not to utter words,
    but to live by them.

~John F. Kennedy

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    I've been told by three of my friends to not bother seeing it in theaters, as it is not worth the price of admission. As such, I'll pass until it is on video. Then again, I won't need to because I'll be picking up the BD of Battle Royale soon.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    I should have waited until it came out at the local cheap theater than pay Regal Cinema prices. Such a waste of money.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

More I think about this movie, the less I like it. The book must be something else.

I'm wondering if there will be a divide between book readers and people who walk in fresh like myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    I've been told by three of my friends to not bother seeing it in theaters, as it is not worth the price of admission. As such, I'll pass until it is on video. Then again, I won't need to because I'll be picking up the BD of Battle Royale soon.
    Finally someone else agrees. Bless your heart sir. Battle Royale is still #1! I do wish I never paid to see this

My wife and I just saw The Hunger Games and LOVED it!!
    the highest appreciation
    is not to utter words,
    but to live by them.

~John F. Kennedy

So happy right now.

When you read a book and truly enjoy it, the worst fear is that the movie adaptation is going to screw it up. I had that experience with The Golden Compass, which was a decent movie that ended up really missing the mark with a few bad choices. I'm so glad they didn't mess the Hunger Games up. Saying the book is better is a bit like saying the sky is blue. It's pretty much a given. And the book IS better. But the movie is about as near to perfect as it could be.

Movies and books are two very different genres, so even though I felt like the beginning with setting up the District and some of the relationships there was a bit rushed (the running time of this movie FLEW by) I think they did a good job with it, because they really did need to get them on the train to Panem. I was thankful they went back and filled in a few details via flashback later though.

The thing I liked most about the movie was how restrained it was. There are some incredibly moving moments in the book, and they were well-represented here.

The death of Rue was particularly powerful and sad. I teared up, even if the movie didn't get to build up Rue and Katniss's relationship as much as it did in the book, I still thought it was affecting.
    I'm also incredibly happy they didn't try to shoehorn in some big relationship or love triangle. Because it really doesn't exist in the book. There's a hint of it, but the connection between Gale and Katniss and Katniss and Peeta are a bit more complicated. Especially the latter two. I thought they did a good job of painting the Katniss/Peeta relationship in the right light. Although there is genuine affection there and a real bond by the end, it's not what they play up to the cameras.

The design work was very nice and minimal. There was a real sense of grit to the film, even though I thought by the end the players should have been more bloodied and dirtied. I kind of think might be leaving some room for the even more brutal events in later movies so there's somewhere to build. Everyone was really nicely cast. I wish we'd gotten a bit more of Woody Harrelson as Haymitch, but he played the character well. He, along with Cinna, were the hardest bits of casting to wrap my head around but they worked well. I do sort of wish Cinna had been played a bit more flamboyantly. I liked that he seemed a bit more "of the capital" in the book, even though he was different inside. Here, he felt a bit more separated from the capital, even in appearance.

Of course, Jennifer Lawrence owned the film as Katniss. I felt like she really communicated a lot with her performance that we were privy to as readers by getting in the character's head. Of course, I've read the books so I understood what she was thinking... so I'm not sure if that totally translated if you hadn't read the books? I hope the next couple of movies go further in doing some world-building. This movie managed to convey a lot without a bunch of exposition. That's a good thing, but it'll need to be taken further in future installments to really set-up the stakes in future movies.

I read on EW.com that the movie made 68M on Friday, making it the best opening day EVER for a non-sequel, and the 5th best opening day ever for any movie. Amazing! I think it's partly because of the broad appeal, and it looks like word of mouth will be good:

The PG-13 film, starring Jennifer Lawrence (Winter’s Bone) and directed by Gary Ross (Pleasantville), scored a solid “A” rating from CinemaScore audiences. The movie was evenly split between those under age 25 (who gave the film an “A+” grade) and those 25 years old and up (who were slightly less enthusiastic with an “A-” grade). Women made up 61 percent of the audience. By comparison, The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn — Part 1 drew a crowd that was 80 percent female, so it’s clear that the more action-heavy The Hunger Games is doing a better job at attracting men.

So happy right now.

When you read a book and truly enjoy it, the worst fear is that the movie adaptation is going to screw it up. I had that experience with The Golden Compass, which was a decent movie that ended up really missing the mark with a few bad choices. I'm so glad they didn't mess the Hunger Games up. Saying the book is better is a bit like saying the sky is blue. It's pretty much a given. And the book IS better. But the movie is about as near to perfect as it could be.

Movies and books are two very different genres, so even though I felt like the beginning with setting up the District and some of the relationships there was a bit rushed (the running time of this movie FLEW by) I think they did a good job with it, because they really did need to get them on the train to Panem. I was thankful they went back and filled in a few details via flashback later though.

The thing I liked most about the movie was how restrained it was. There are some incredibly moving moments in the book, and they were well-represented here. I'm also incredibly happy they didn't try to shoehorn in some big relationship or love triangle. Because it really doesn't exist in the book. There's a hint of it, but the connection between Gale and Katniss and Katniss and Peeta are a bit more complicated. Especially the latter two. I thought they did a good job of painting the Katniss/Peeta relationship in the right light. Although there is genuine affection there and a real bond by the end, it's not what they play up to the cameras.

The design work was very nice and minimal. There was a real sense of grit to the film, even though I thought by the end the players should have been more bloodied and dirtied. I kind of think might be leaving some room for the even more brutal events in later movies so there's somewhere to build. Everyone was really nicely cast. I wish we'd gotten a bit more of Woody Harrelson as Haymitch, but he played the character well. He, along with Cinna, were the hardest bits of casting to wrap my head around but they worked well. I do sort of wish Cinna had been played a bit more flamboyantly. I liked that he seemed a bit more "of the capital" in the book, even though he was different inside. Here, he felt a bit more separated from the capital, even in appearance.

Of course, Jennifer Lawrence owned the film as Katniss. I felt like she really communicated a lot with her performance that we were privy to as readers by getting in the character's head. Of course, I've read the books so I understood what she was thinking... so I'm not sure if that totally translated if you hadn't read the books? I hope the next couple of movies go further in doing some world-building. This movie managed to convey a lot without a bunch of exposition. That's a good thing, but it'll need to be taken further in future installments to really set-up the stakes in future movies.

I read on EW.com that the movie made 68M on Friday, making it the best opening day EVER for a non-sequel, and the 5th best opening day ever for any movie. Amazing! I think it's partly because of the broad appeal, and it looks like word of mouth will be good:
    We are kind of backwards...we are now going to buy and read the books because we enjoyed the first movie so much!
    the highest appreciation
    is not to utter words,
    but to live by them.

~John F. Kennedy