Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hunger Games (movie)

Evil Master of Warcraft
    I really enjoyed it. The girlfriend hasn't read them yet and she really liked it. It was a great adaptation that represented the book very well. And Jack, your kids can see it. It wasn't that gory.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

Master of New Adventures!
    Quote Originally Posted by GeologyMule View Post
    I really enjoyed it. The girlfriend hasn't read them yet and she really liked it. It was a great adaptation that represented the book very well. And Jack, your kids can see it. It wasn't that gory.
    Thanks for that, Geo. I'm scheduled for tomorrow evening with my twelve-year old Alex. I do, however, think it's a bit much for my nine-year old Zoe and four-year old Max, so they won't be accompanying us.

Read the books a couple of months ago, saw the movie tonight, listening to the soundtrack now. All three are amazing. Now I want the NECA figures.

After 5 sold out showings we finally got into Hunger Games, well worth the wait!

They handled some of the deaths very well, one of the last ones I almost broke down and others did

Man the amount of people you would have thought a concert was tonight

Master of Gardening MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    After 5 sold out showings we finally got into Hunger Games, well worth the wait!
    That's why my wife and I went up to the theater on Friday in order to purchase tickets for a Saturday show. The shows kept selling out well in advance on MovieTickets.com, so I called the theater and they said the best thing for us to do is come up to the theater and purchase the tickets ahead of time. Glad we did. EXCELLENT movie!!
    CONGRATS to the 7 Lucky Winners of my
    FREE Club Etheria Sub Figure Giveaway!!!

Double Mischief = Minor
    Madame Razz = Uncle Jake
    Entrapta = SorceressSon
    October figure = SunDevil
    November figure = Ealo
    December figure = yodafreakmaster
    Light Hope SUB EXCLUSIVE = McLaughlin2778

Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    That's why my wife and I went up to the theater on Friday in order to purchase tickets for a Saturday show. The shows kept selling out well in advance on MovieTickets.com, so I called the theater and they said the best thing for us to do is come up to the theater and purchase the tickets ahead of time. Glad we did. EXCELLENT movie!!
    Yeah we never know when we will be at the theater so we just go (since its in a big mall) and then I buy the tickets from fandango on my iPhone and we walk up and show them the # and they print out

When we got there the showings were still open so we went to get something to eat and then by the time we got back 15min later 5 of them had sold out

We got in at the 8:50 show, they still had 9:15/9:50/10:30 and after we got our popcorn we passed the queues for those people waiting for the 10:30 show 2hrs early
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

No matter WHAT you guys say, I have ZERO interest in this (and zero in Battle Royale too) nothing about it speaks to me, and the comment that was made about the 'cloverfield style camera work" nearly seals it. (maybe that's why I feel it looks 'cheap')
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Slaying left and right.

The new film “The Hunger Games” topped the weekend box office.

“The Hunger Games,” the film adaptation of the bestselling novel by Suzanne Collins, took in $155 million dollars to take the top slot, according to early estimates from Lionsgate, the studio behind the film. The sci-fi action movie stars actress Jennifer Lawrence.

The box office gross of “The Hunger Games” is the third-highest opening weekend ever, behind “Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part 2″ and “The Dark Knight.”

It’s also the highest opening of all time for a non-sequel movie. No movie has ever had as large an opening weekend outside of the summer season.

The book is the first installment of a trilogy, and the movie’s box office results mean that filmgoers can expect to see the other two books brought to the big screen as well. The final “Hunger Games” book, like the last installments of the “Harry Potter” franchise and the “Twilight” franchise, might be drawn out into two separate movies.

Evil Master of Warcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    'cloverfield style camera work" nearly seals it.
    That was my biggest beef with it. I felt like it was filmed by Michael Bay minus the explosions. I don't mind a little of it when you are going for effect, but the shakey camera was way overdone.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

No matter WHAT you guys say, I have ZERO interest in this (and zero in Battle Royale too) nothing about it speaks to me, and the comment that was made about the 'cloverfield style camera work" nearly seals it. (maybe that's why I feel it looks 'cheap')
    Besides movies like this are aimed at the teenage audience (I.E. Twilight & Harry Potter)

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    Besides movies like this are aimed at the teenage audience (I.E. Twilight & Harry Potter)
    Not really. They went for a pretty wide appeal with this movie, despite it's source. They made sure it was PG13 to get the younger crowd in, but that clearly wasn't all it was aimed at because I think realized the books have played wider than that. Most of the people I know who have read the books are over 25. But everyone from my 16 year old niece to my my 58-year old mom have read them. And most people in between. Making 155M opening weekend, and the demos (where the audience was split evenly between over and under 25) proved that this played very wide.

As for the shaky cam, not my favorite thing in general but it was limited and didn't happen for the whole film. It happened mostly during the more intense sequences. I actually thought in this case it helped add to the intensity of the moment, though I think it was used to partially mask how brutal some of the sequences shown, though there was still quite a bit of blood. Most of the movie is not shot this way. The only time I, personally, really noticed it and was slightly annoyed by it was the fight between Katniss and Clove (the knife-wielding girl.)

Its not as bad as Cloverfield, there are some moments but for the most part the camera is stable. Its during the action scenes they tend to go with the moving camera to give you the effect you are there.

But if you don't want to watch it nobody is forcing you too

As for the rating and the kid factor, I think some kids under 13 would be too overwhelmed with a lot of the emotional parts of the movie. I mean killing kids aside there are just a lot of themes I don't think kids under 10 would understand

The sold out show I went to last night almost had a 50/50 split between 25-50 and 15-18, us old dinosaurs got to sit up front because all the kids had come in 1hr earlier and taken up the good seats lol

And $155m......

It was reported Lionsgate would be in heaven at $100m (the movie only cost $80m and advertising was lower than usual because they opted to use the web and go in non-traditional methods besides just blasting TV ads), boxofficemojo was saying $130 would be amazing so I cannot even imagine what they must be thinking at nearly $160m

Will be watching Battle Royale first but hey the way I see it, this isn't something new; where something is based or inspired from something else, taken to a different 'spin' or direction. So I'll give 'em both a chance and hope I'm entertained by them.
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

I really don't think the age group matters. It's a mature story dealing with adult problems. I'll get into specifics.

1. They attempt at social commentary dealing with what horrible things people are willing to watch on television and that if everyone stopped watching, the hunger games would end. The essential reason for the games is to keep citizens afraid and under control.

The movie does a poor job of getting any of this across, instead there are scenes where they say bits of this stuff out loud. I bet reading the book fills this story telling gap easily.

2. The two people from district 12, Katniss and this guy. There's a ton of tension and possible history between the two. The movie does a poor job of telling you why and what. Also there is romance between the two, but it's only for the cameras. The movie never tells you this. But the book I'm guessing covers all this in detail and you take that with you in the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    1. They attempt at social commentary dealing with what horrible things people are willing to watch on television and that if everyone stopped watching, the hunger games would end. The essential reason for the games is to keep citizens afraid and under control.
    They did this concept before in Deathrace and The Condemned but a little different twitch....

The concept is nothing new, it dates back as early as Arnold's The Running Man. I guess the story telling is what matters, the one in the books anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    The concept is nothing new, it dates back as early as Arnold's The Running Man. I guess the story telling is what matters, the one in the books anyway.
    Yea forgot about that one as well

Saw it tonight with Alex. B- and I'm sad to say that because I was really pumped. For three-quarters of the film I was underwhelmed. Too slow. Waaaay too predictable. The last quarter picked up but overall it was also very predictable.

The problem for someone my age that's read a lot and been in the entertainment industry for three decades is that you see all the places a film steals (or at least borrows) from. Sometimes it's just dribs and drabs, as it was in THE HUNGER GAMES. Borrowed plot snippets and character development from LORD OF THE FLIES, TEN LITTLE INDIANS, ROLLERBALL (the original, not the atrocious remake, in which a game is played for the masses and Jonathan E threatens the corporations by becoming bigger than the games) and, of course, ROMEO & JULIET. The host, while good, was straight out of SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE. (At least they admitted it about ROMEO & JULIET by twice saying "star-crossed lovers" and I thought that was actually pretty classy.) Regrettably, all the borrowing is distracting and, for me, the predictability of it -- you just know they're going to be the last two standing and they're going to end up winning together and, even though I haven't read the second and third books I've got a feeling those two going to lead a MATRIX revolution against the big, bad government -- takes the suspense out of it for me and without suspense I have no suspension of disbelief. AVATAR managed to pull off shameless -- and I mean really shameless -- pilferage of not only borrowing but almost scene-by-scene following DANCES WITH WOLVES. It succeeded because of AVATAR's spectacular special effects, excellent directing and fine acting. HG lacked the first element, had some in the second and a bit more of the third. But, imo, because HG didn't excel in all three elements the borrowing was more visible and the predictability more predictable. So it's a B- for me.

That said, it had some good things going for it. She's a fine actress and I think we'll be seeing a lot more of her -- though, at least for me, she's not nearly so hot as I thought (and hoped) she'd be. Costumes were great. Woody's always fun to watch and the film was stylish, particularly in the scenes that take place in the capitol.

When I explainedto Alex about this problem I have with knowing which films and books motion pictures borrow from, he asked if I'd ever seen a totally original film in my opinion. I anwered "In my opiniong -- and it's only my opinion -- there are two. USUAL SUSPECTS and THE PRESTIGE. They were completely original, combined with great acting and fabulous direction. Also, in both cases, I was 100% surprised by the endings. But that's pretty rare. (A very few friends have said they saw the ending of USUAL SUSPECTS coming, but I didn't and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Rather, I love being fooled by a film.)

So I thought overall HUNGER GAMES was okay. I'm sure many loved the film, but that's their avantage of being younger and having no idea what LORD OF THE FLIES or TEN LITTLE INDIANS is. There are times I envy younger people for that. Too I do think I was built up by all the hype and box office. I will say I walked out of the theater no wishing I had by two hours back and at least I'm happy to say that. No doubt it'd going to be a top ten grossing film, part of that attributable to the fact that I and (sorry) many orgers are no longer the sweet spot demographics target since we're not 12 to 25. And if that hurts a few of you, just wait until you get to be my age.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; March 25, 2012 at 10:21pm.

At least you were honest Jack

Its got to be hard especially with your entertainment background to be wowed but you liked the recent Planet of the Apes so I know you can tell when a movie is great!

I tend to just look at movies as they are though, if I compared them to past movies I think I would probably never be happy, for me lately its like "Is it better then the garbage that is Twilight and worth my $9, yeah awesome!"

What was your thoughts on the films child deaths, did you think they were done in a decent manner? Normally movies tend to avoid it all together or take care of it off screen (in regards to anyone under 18) and this one went in a bit further than others I think. At least for a movie in this large of release and aimed at kids and young adults.

I also agree about the lead, she was actually much hotter in Winter's Bone and X-Men First Class
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Best looking Jennifer Lawrence = The Beaver

Yeah I really think the costuming and art direction basically hid her beauty, not to mention she is one of the rare people I think looks better as a blond then brunette

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    At least you were honest Jack

Its got to be hard especially with your entertainment background to be wowed but you liked the recent Planet of the Apes so I know you can tell when a movie is great!

I tend to just look at movies as they are though, if I compared them to past movies I think I would probably never be happy, for me lately its like "Is it better then the garbage that is Twilight and worth my $9, yeah awesome!"

What was your thoughts on the films child deaths, did you think they were done in a decent manner? Normally movies tend to avoid it all together or take care of it off screen (in regards to anyone under 18) and this one went in a bit further than others I think. At least for a movie in this large of release and aimed at kids and young adults.

I also agree about the lead, she was actually much hotter in Winter's Bone and X-Men First Class
    Mark, you know children are my life, so it's always very difficult for me to deal with the death of -- or even something bad happening to -- a child...even in fiction. However, I accept that this was part and parcel of the film and I will say that the producer and director handled that aspect in a thoughtful and sensitive manner and I appreciated that.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; March 25, 2012 at 11:27pm.

Realist. Deal with it. Lord Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Mark, you know children are my life, so it's always very difficult for me to deal with the death of -- or even something bad happening to -- a child...even in ficttion.
    Being that you are quite the writer and the above statement is true, id LOVE to read a review from you on Battle Royale. Though its really really graphic, but the emotional rollercoaster they take you on is pretty amazing considering is what Hunger Games really tried to mimic (I know its not the same lead up, but the games are identical and way more intresting)
    "We are the tools of our own imagination, constructing temples and cathedrals in which our most outlandish dreams become truth." - Samael

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Anubis View Post
    Being that you are quite the writer and the above statement is true, id LOVE to read a review from you on Battle Royale. Though its really really graphic, but the emotional rollercoaster they take you on is pretty amazing considering is what Hunger Games really tried to mimic (I know its not the same lead up, but the games are identical and way more intresting)
    Thank you for your kind words, Lord Anubis.

I've read many interesting posts on the board about BATTLE ROYALE and I have a deep and abiding respect for orgers' opinions. Overall I have found orgers to be astute and engaging film critics, passionate in defending their own opinions yet also respectful of the opinions of others. As an aside, they've been extremely helpful in giving me input about the age-appropriateness for films and video games for my twelve-year old Alex and have made some great suggestions about video games for him for Christmases and birhtdays down through the years. I appreciate the former, and orgers have earned Alex's undying gratitude for the latter.

For all these reasons I'm eager to view BATTLE ROYALE and I'll be pleased to post my feelings about the film afterwards.

I just saw the movie, and I have mixed feelings about it. At one hand, it was entertaining, and I did appreciate some technical aspects of it. I actually liked the shaky camera (I also loved Cloverfield). I liked the way District 12 was done in terms of production design. It looked interesting, it was highly stylized. The costumes, the houses, the area where they gather to watch the big screen. Very Orwellian and stimulating. I didn't care so much about the costumes and makeup in the Capitol though. They looked as if a first year student of costume design wanted to create something "outrageous".

On the other hand, the so-called political message was just too shallow and banal. I am sorry if this offends anyone, but the premise is completely unbelievable. I tried, but I just couldn't make myself believe it. I mean, what exactly are the districts afraid of? These games?! Really?! So, there was this insurrection 74 years ago. Even if ended bloody, it was 74 years ago! What's life expectancy in the districts? 40 years max? That means generations have passed since the insurrection. You are telling me that these people suffer and go hunt for squirrels so that they don't starve, but they won't rebel because their grandparents told them about some rebellion generations ago that didn't go that well?! Or because of the games?! So what if there are games? What are they going to do, select 4 kids from each district, instead of two? I mean, come on guys. If there were any realism in this movie, there would have been dozens of uprisings and rebellions in Panem in those 74 years. Yeah, people die in uprisings, and it gets nasty, that's normal. People still do them because they feel desperate. Why is there no terrorism? Katniss aims her arrow at the apple - don't you think that sometime someone would shot it at those people in the loge and shouted "Down with Capitol District. Long live revolution etc..." and what's up with the train? Why doesn't anyone sabotage it, blow up a bridge? Why didn't anyone kill the weird lady when she picked names? There was barely any security. My mom and dad would have climbed that stage and strangled her with bare hands. Yeah, they would be killed, but so what? We are talking about children being taken to the slaughterhouse while their parents just watch?! Why don't they die to protect their kids like any normal parent would?

I just can't bring myself to take any of it seriously. The whole premise is just a big clumsy plot device to justify the existence of the Games, and it totally falls apart.
    Last edited by Ivan; March 26, 2012 at 12:24am.