Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Customer Service/Digital River issues

Marketing Manager at Mattel Toyguru's Avatar

Customer Service/Digital River issues

Okay folks.

Everyone at Mattel is WELL aware of shipping issues and customer service issues with Digital River through Mattycollector.com. (and yes I know there is a thread dedicated to this at the top).

Trouble is, the thread has gotten a little out of control and to execute any type of change we need more actionable list to work from, not just a thread of rants.

Bottom line: We have a few more resources to throw at this issue now and you guys did such a fantastic job at NYTF in Feb giving us a list of "design issues to review" that we'd like to get your input again this time on "Customer service/shipping issues to review". (like Pixel Dan's horror story about address changes, e-gawd!)

Here is the deliverable: Take two weeks and put together a list of the top shipping and customer service issues you have with the site.

The key is to give us direct, well articulated, actionable items that we can make corrections on. Please no rants or tirades, that won't help us make changes.

Have a mod or site manager (i.e. Val) deliver a soft copy via email to me in two weeks time (Val has my contact info). I will bring this to the new digital task force for review to do all we can to solve any and all remaining customer service/shipping issues. We can't guarantee we can solve everything, but a well articulated actionable list of issues will help.

We are not looking for design suggestions or anything product related this time, only shipping and customer service. Try to be as to the point as possible and we will do all we can to solve as many issues as we can!

Look forward to all your feedback!

Scott

A good start would be to call people back when they say they will. I have an issue with my Megator and a ticket number but no call back. This is rather rude and instills a lack of confidence in your operations. Maybe you want to help?
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Lookie View Post
    A good start would be to call people back when they say they will. I have an issue with my Megator and a ticket number but no call back. This is rather rude and instills a lack of confidence in your operations. Maybe you want to help?
    And not be hung up on by rude, incompetent or uninformed staff who barely speak English. This has happened to me and NUMEROUS others since the Teela fiasco in October 2009.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

Preemptively, please keep suggestions to short, actionable items.

Things like "offer more international shipping options" are good.
    Things like "I still haven't gotten my Panthor! Help!" are not good.

For the sake of clarity and ease of compilation, please only post suggestions here.
    Keep discussion, rants, requests for help with specific issues, etc... to the appropriate threads.

Thanks!
    Bill :: guitargod694

Main Customer Service issue is calling GO MATTY gets no help, calling the Corp number and speaking with actual Corp Customer Service gets problems solved in mins. Same company but one works and one does not.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Emailing Customer Service in response to any issues with my subscription (the only time I have contacted them) has resulted in them not knowing what I was talking about and then sending me a cut and paste of how to change my credit card details. Not just in a once off, isolated event but numerous times.

So what I am basically saying is, there needs to be better online customer service. As an International customer, I don't want to have to call customer service if I have any issues

There needs to be a clear order cancellation procedure. My most recent order was processed in triplicate. I called in to cancel two and was told it was impossible and to simply refuse delivery of the unwanted ones. Two days later I received two shipping notices and one order cancellation notice.

I really appreciate your own customer service, Scott. Your level of interaction with us peons is second to none!
    On Twitter @DualHares

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Main Customer Service issue is calling GO MATTY gets no help, calling the Corp number and speaking with actual Corp Customer Service gets problems solved in mins. Same company but one works and one does not.
    I 2nd this problem.

I'd like to add: Payment Method Change Procedure

Reason: Even though I changed my default payment info from my debit card to my credit card, my debit card was charged anyways for my subscription. I called main customer service and got no help from a rep who spoke extremely broken english. The corporate number rep told me that even though I changed my default payment method I had to delete the original from the account for it to work.
    Last edited by jerec350; August 30, 2011 at 09:06pm.
    View my collection and customs HERE!

-Email support is hopeless, you only get cut and paste answers.
    Last edited by Gimporama; August 31, 2011 at 01:27am. Reason: edited down to points.

If Matty sends a wrong or damaged figure, the customer should be reimbursed for ALL shipping costs, including international customers!

Heroic Warrior
    - Customer Service agents need to have a better understanding of how to use their computer systems
    - Customer Service agents need to be more familiar with the products they are selling and in specific how subscriptions work.
    - Customer Service agents need to have a better grasp of the language of the geographical area that they are servicing.

- option for sub-holders to ship figures individually instead of combining the shipping (international fans would benefit from this)

- the lack of follow-up between tickets is a bit tedious. Very often the same information needs to be provided over and over again.

- Not certain if this counts as a suggestion to improve on the website, but a possibility for sub-holders to pre-order doubles of certain figures (or even non-sub items) would be nice.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Quote Originally Posted by imperialmyrth View Post
    - Customer Service agents need to have a better understanding of how to use their computer systems
    - Customer Service agents need to be more familiar with the products they are selling and in specific how subscriptions work.
    - Customer Service agents need to have a better grasp of the language of the geographical area that they are servicing.
    To all, please remember Toyguru needs 'to the point' lists like this, not rants that are hard to read through to get to the point. We are being asked to do something constructive for a change.

I will add the following:

- Generally poor customer service as mentioned by others.
    - Lack of scope on the size of the customer base. They always seem to fall short or become overwhelmed.
    - Low website bandwidth during sale time causing the infamous 'White screen of Death' (note this is related to the above point).
    - Lack of flexibility when it comes to grouping orders such as when they sell a single figure a week after the main sale causing the customer to pay extra shipping.
    - Lack of notice when something like the above happens.

The above is my perspective as a 'Cherry picker' but I hear that sub holders, specially those living overseas have much worst problems.
    Last edited by kup; August 31, 2011 at 06:41am.

Heroic ursine warrior sailoruranus's Avatar
    Stop promising responses within 3 business days. Give real wait times, and stick to your word.

My subs never ship before the 15th

Have a real customer service center that actually can fix problems, not just tell you wait 3 days.
    Last edited by sailoruranus; August 30, 2011 at 10:18pm.

Grayskull's Librarian Shadow Weaver 78's Avatar
    How about the August double authorizations and shipping delays for sub-holders? My suggestions:

-If an authorization is done in error (IE- only one of the 2 items being shipped were charged) go back and charge the DIFFERENCE owed. Do not charge the entire order again. Or, at the very least, NOTIFY customers of the error and impending second charge and then give them time to prepare their accounts.
    -Allow sub holders to wait to have their order shipped a few days so they can add 'Day Of Sale' products to their order and save with combined shipping. A flat rule of '1 of each day of sale item per subscription' would be a fair rule.
    -Ensure that sub holders orders are shipped on time, and if something is holding the order up (like DR being set back by having to redo all August sub orders) NOTIFY the customer that there will be a delay and explain the logistics of WHY there is a delay.( I would have been fine with my August order taking 2&1/2 weeks to ship if I'd gotten an e-mail saying something like "We must wait until the erroneous authorization drops off your card before we can complete your order.". At least I would have known what to expect and wouldn't have been worrying that my sub was screwed up.)

Bottom line: NOTIFY customers when something is amiss and COMBINE SHIPPING on ALL items for the loyal sub holders who keep this line running.

Oh, one more thing. No more notifications from the "Oops, we're human' department. It's a confrontational way to start a message, and it's extremely condescending. If you screw up, own it.

That is all.
    Last edited by Shadow Weaver 78; August 30, 2011 at 07:56pm.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    To all, please remember Toyguru needs 'to the point' lists like this, not rants that I hard to read through to get to the point. We are being asked to do something constructive for a change.
    Yes please guys keep the items in a list format, it will help us compile a list for Scott for his meeting with Digital River.

anything in multi paragraph form needs to go in the general Digital River thread.

The sooner we compile the list the more time the mods can fine tune it and turn it in

So keep the suggestions coming!
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Widget

Digital River is a Problem!

Here are my three biggest problems with digital river imo
    1. they have no idea what the product or the subscription is
    2. the operators don't speak or understand english well enough to fix the issue
    3. they tell you theyve fixed your issue but you never recieve further contact

Example: i ordered a sub with USPS shipping by accident. i spoke to 3 different people ( one was a manager) and could not get my shipping changed. There solution for me was to return the first package that came and the sub would be cancelled. My friend called and was able to change his shipping method the same day with no issue.

Example 2: i ordered stay puff on aug 1st. i recieved him on august 20th. he had a pushed in stomach and u could see through the foam padding. i have spoken to 3 different people on the phone... they say they are looking into it and to give them 72 hours and theyll respond. its been 6 days now... nothing... contacted them through an email to customer service, they say its being looked into... so i recieved an email the next day that had my order number and marshmallow mans product number and they sent me a list of the entire rest of the order that they were going to replace... no stay puff.

sorry this is so long just wanted to make people aware of the issues ive had... if it needs to be cut so be it.

hoping that things get better.

My current annoyance is how small things like changing address/credit card/shipping becomes a total non-option with DR.

I ordered my 2012 sub with USPS shipping because I didn't notice the shipping options. All prior years my sub has shipped UPS so I assumed it would ship UPS again. Once I released my mistake, I contacted DR to change my shipping selection. The sub doesn't even start to ship for almost six months so switching me over to the UPS list should be pretty simple to accomplish in five months but I just got a flat out "Can't do that" from DR.

Instead of being the happy, satisfied customer that I've been for the last couple of years, I'm going to curse DR & Matty every month waiting and hopping for my package to eventually arrive, though not knowing when

Quote Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
    My current annoyance is how small things like changing address/credit card/shipping becomes a total non-option with DR.
    I agree with this. It's very difficult to change one's address and/or credit card information.

Heroic Warrior
    THIS!

When we call 1-800-GO MATTY have a customer service that can actually get things resolved and knows the items and not give YOUR customers the runaround.

There should also be a way to fix shipping options. I had my sub canceled by digital river for a mistake they made and when I got it reinstated they didn't give me UPS shipping. I would gladly pay $2-$3 more for UPS over Cornerstone Logistics shipping.

For my 2012 sub I did not have an option to choose for shipping. It was set to cornerstone/USPS shipping, I did not have options to change.
    Last edited by Horde08; August 30, 2011 at 09:22pm.
    "A Race 2 What And Where We Going?
    We In The Same Boat
    But Eye'M The Only One Rowin
    Last Time Eye Checked U Were Sleepin'
    …but U Can Call Me A Dreamer 2"

Traveler
    I had my subscription cancelled last year because my credit card didnt like that the authorization happened over the summer. I first email and waited the required time, then got a generic response saying my issue was resolved and my sub was cancelled. I then followed up with another email and had to wait the obligatory 5 business days for a similar not useful response. I then called customer service (as the 15th rapidly approached right before the feb shipment with my sub exclusive) and they were not able to help and gave me several "wrong" excuses. I searched the boards for the other magical number where the person understood my issue, explained why it happened and fixed it, my figures shipped the next day.

#1 SO... the system needs to be fixed so people dont have this particular credit card issue and/or the normal customer service needs to be trained/updated on what to do to resolve this issue.

#2 Also, the WSOD issue is definitley getting better, but on days when there is a non-sub figure on sale, why is it that if I open 1,2,3,4, or 5 internet windows there is no rhyme or reason as to which is able to get through first? Shouldn't it be the first window (hence the don't click refresh)? It's frustrating when after 30 minutes one window still doesn't work.

Yes please guys keep the items in a list format, it will help us compile a list for Scott for his meeting with Digital River.

anything in multi paragraph form needs to go in the general Digital River thread.

The sooner we compile the list the more time the mods can fine tune it and turn it in

So keep the suggestions coming!
    Unfortunately there needs to be multi paragraphs to describe the issues otherwise it should all read;

-Digital River is crap, get rid of them

ok Here's mine

-Month after Month charged the wrong card.
    -NoTHING ever fixed by the first CS REps. ALWAYS have to talk to a CS Manager.
    -Long hold times.
    -Need english speaking people.
    -Customer Service is the WORST I have ever dealt with.
    -Inhability to delete old credit cards off the site.
    -Get rid of the White Screen of Death

Toyguru, Mattel seriously need to dump these guys. They are SERIOUSLY ruining your Image.
    I almost did not buy my SUBS and anything else He-Man related . Because I did not want to deal with them.
    Last edited by air23cnhit; August 30, 2011 at 09:42pm.
    Currently Looking for:
    MOC:
    Dragon Walker with tattoo he - man MIB.
    Parts I need:
    Zodak Calves, Feet and Loin Cloths.

-Exchanging emails with the email address on the contact page or calling the GO MATTY number has been completely useless for me. Like was stated above, one call to the corporate customer service number solved my problem literally within five minutes. I'd been getting the runaround from your outsourced customer service for two weeks.

-Unless you choose UPS, shipping is extremely slow. My last order took exactly two weeks to arrive . . . and that was after I got my shipping notice. This is the slowest shipping I've ever encountered from any online website in all my years of internet shopping. Why can't you offer USPS Priority Mail like 99% of other online vendors?

-Servers should be upgraded to better handle sale day traffic.

-Find a way to allow subscribers to bundle other items with their monthly subscription purchases. I realize that this would mean that subs would no longer ship before sale day, but it seems like this rarely happens anyway.
    Last edited by gummi; August 31, 2011 at 12:39am.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." - H. J. Simpson, 1997

Heroic Master Of Bad Luck
    The Biggest problems IMO are:
    -They have no idea what the products are, nor the subscription is or how it works. They need to be trained on this.
    -The Email CS must be much more resolutive, cause all they do is give you a ticket, and if you don't insist (and i mean INSIST), you get no answer. They never know what happened with your order. We international customers can't call every time we have an issue. The e-mail must be a real alternative to the phone, and the issues reported over the mail, must be treated with the same priority the issues reported over the phone are.
    We are ka-tet. We are one from many

Don't hesitate in make deals with: JeMaBo2, air23cnhit.