Thread: Official Custom Charges for MOTUC Discussion

Master of my own Domain

Official Custom Charges for MOTUC Discussion

I've just got stung again with a UK customs charge of £4.87 + £8 handling fee!
    Which is about $21.

Is it possible that DR could arrange prepayment of VAT so I can avoid the £8 handling fee?

Evil Master of Meejitz super-munkyboy's Avatar
    Its a buggar, but I've just gotten used to it. I'd prefer to have the items shipped seperately, but I think some of the more expensive items would still incur such a charge. Blame the handling charge of £8 (What do they do, stroke it and tell it everything will be ok?)
    JITSU!!!! Thank the Elder Gods!!!!

DeviantART - http://super-munkyboy.deviantart.com

Commissions - [TBA]

there are companies that will roll your VAT charge in to the price you pay (you just check a box if you want it done) without an extra processing charge (and hand that over to the respective EU government) so that the shipping company doesn't have to do it... but the chances of DR being able to do that are probably zero.

Plus VAT only applies on orders that cost £18 or more. I wouldn't trust Digital River to know when to apply the VAT fee and when not to. Considering how inconsistantly import duty is imposed anyway, you're better off crossing your fingers and hoping that the expensive stuff slips through. I've only had to pay the charge three times since 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I've only had to pay the charge three times since 2008.
    WOW! I've had to pay three times in that last month! Do you have a sub? 9 times out of 10 if there's more them one item sent i.e. like with a quarterly figure or beast I get charged. I have two subs on different accounts which means I get charged nearly 16 times a year, at £8-£15 a time!
    I really wish they had the option to ship the items separately or a sub option without the quarterly figures and beasts.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    WOW! I've had to pay three times in that last month! Do you have a sub? 9 times out of 10 if there's more them one item sent i.e. like with a quarterly figure or beast I get charged. I have two subs on different accounts which means I get charged nearly 16 times a year, at £8-£15 a time!
    I really wish they had the option to ship the items separately or a sub option without the quarterly figures and beasts.
    Ouch. That just painful.

No, I've had a sub every year (although only the one). I've had to pay the customs charge on three parcels: Tytus; Panthor & Sy-Klone; and Battle Armour Skeletor & King Hsss. I'm expecting to have to pay for Megator & Man-E-Faces given how long it's been since the sale date.

If you're getting stung that often it might be worth having your two subs on the same account. There's got to be a tipping point when it's better to pay the £8 fee on one parcel in a month instead of two. And the bigger the order the better the chance of stuff arriving in one of those heroic white mailer bags.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    If you're getting stung that often it might be worth having your two subs on the same account. There's got to be a tipping point when it's better to pay the £8 fee on one parcel in a month instead of two. And the bigger the order the better the chance of stuff arriving in one of those heroic white mailer bags.
    The problem with that is you get charged on the value of the package, so if I had two subs on one account I get charged the same total amount just 8 times a year instead of 16. Plus if you have more then one sub on the same account they ship them together so I'd potently get fee's every month on the two monthly sub figures being shipped together as well.

Wanted:

Court Magician
    I have 2 customs cards waiting for me to get to the postoffice

1st sdcc sale

2nd August sub

Can't wait for the joy later in the year when swift wind, she-ra 2 and the windraider start shipping, maybe I'll get lucky those months, it does happen occasionally

I hate this with a passion. Why should I have to pay the govornment and the post office for these figures that are not available to buy in the UK. It's not like they don't get enough money out of us to waste away on non-sense.

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by adamjimenez View Post
    I've just got stung again with a UK customs charge of £4.87 + £8 handling fee!
    Which is about $21.

Is it possible that DR could arrange prepayment of VAT so I can avoid the £8 handling fee?
    I actually rang HMRC about this a while ago. I basically said "look can I put £200 in a kitty and everytime one of my toys comes through you just knock it off the balance". Or something like that.

Like most the £8 handling charge is the one that drives me up the wall!

The guy basically explained that there was a way that something like this could happen, but it sounded really complicated and meant possible delays on the toys getting through customs.

He was trying not to laugh when I said in a serious voice "I buy he-man figures every month and wanted some advice on how I can best pay my customs charges"!

I just figure when I buy individual items from Matty, what I save in customs I pay in individual postage.

I've found its best to get them all in 1 box, I may get charged customs, but I save on postage. Also means I only have 1 x £8 fee to pay.

And quite often the very big packages randomly don't get hit. I've no idea why this is but I don't complain!

Master of my own Domain
    Quote Originally Posted by Ealo View Post
    there are companies that will roll your VAT charge in to the price you pay (you just check a box if you want it done) without an extra processing charge (and hand that over to the respective EU government) so that the shipping company doesn't have to do it... but the chances of DR being able to do that are probably zero.
    THIS is what I'm talking about.
    They might realise that some of us are spending an unnecessary $150 dollars a year in handling fees that could be spent on the line.

I saw a notice that TG was looking at ways to improve DR. I'd see this as a big improvement, who's with me?

Quote Originally Posted by adamjimenez View Post
    THIS is what I'm talking about.
    They might realise that some of us are spending an unnecessary $150 dollars a year in handling fees that could be spent on the line.

I saw a notice that TG was looking at ways to improve DR. I'd see this as a big improvement, who's with me?
    Hell yeah! If thats something other websites do then lets present it to TG a an idea for DR to implement. Worth a shot, worst they can say is 'unfortunately we don't have the resources to implement that right now'.

Wanted:

Mattel and international customs - a small rant

I live in Germany. I have bought everything in the line from day one, and so far only one box ever disappeared. Of course, I always pay german VAT when the boxes come through customs. Usually, the invoice is attached to the outside of the box, so the appropriate charge is made automatically and I pay the mailman upon delivery of my box. Sometimes, however, I have to go pick up a box from the customs office, when the invoice wasn't attached and they have to verify what I ordered there. This usually goes smooth, I pay my taxes and take my figures home. No biggie except for the pain in the butt of having to drive to the other end of town.

But what happened yesterday left me completely speechless and with a burning need to share it with you. I used my lunch break to drive to the customs office and found my box with Megator and Man-E-Faces there. I had all the required papers with me, so I expected to pay and leave with my box as usual.
    This time, however, the customs official informed me, that Mattel Germany has filed a request that all Mattel merchandise imported from outside the EU be sent to their attorneys to check for forged products. My box would now be sent to Mattel and I would be informed as soon as I can come pick it up again. I tried to argue that this came directly from Mattel itself and that I've been getting these for 2+ years without anything like this ever happenning, but the customs guy remained adamant. Looks like I'll be driving there again in two or three weeks...
    So not only did I make the trip for nothing, but it also seems that Mattel needs to check deliveries from Mattel itself for forgeries . If this is how they waste their ressources, no wonder they have trouble with their "logistics".

Rant over.
    Last edited by TuShan; September 6, 2011 at 06:03am. Reason: Spelling
    Cheers,
    TuShan

My Deviantart Page

That's horrible. I don't get how Mattel has the power to have the parcels sent to their attorneys so they can rummage through them. That seems wrong.

oh no! I know mattel Germany checks vintage stuff bought in the US,
    but now they're doing this with new original merchandise, too!
    not a happy customer here.
    A new Motu line, again at last!

What the heck!? Then again, it's Mattel...
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

All the more reason for a Euro distribution centre for Classics eh...?
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Yep. And Europe only has to buy 5 times as much as we do now. Who´s with me ordering 5 additional subs?
    Positivity, folks!
    Let´s all agree to love MOTU enough to let others love MOTU, too!