Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regarding Classics Smash Blade He-Man and Spin Blade Skeletor

Heroic Warrior

Regarding Classics Smash Blade He-Man and Spin Blade Skeletor

It seems that many people are not keen on a classics version of Smash Blade He-Man and Spin Blade Skeletor. Is this due to the design of the figures or the fact that they were overpacked in the 200x series? The overpacking issue would not occur with this line. Just curious.
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    Can't it be both?

Those two figures not only lack any real originality, they were a symbol of what killed the 200X line.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

In all honesty the 200X line has a lot of terrible He-Man & Skeletor variants. So much so that I'm really not looking forward to the day when I get a Wolf Armor He-Man or Samurai Skeletor (just examples here) in my sub... Some of them are ok, but why does He-Man even need Wolf Armor? I think the best way to go would be to release some 200X accessories packs to make the weapons from those variants available... I could care less about having Skeletor in a Fire Armor deco... maybe I'm just not that big on variants.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Smash.....Blade....He....

AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

I didn't mind them as they were. He-Man came with the gold trimmed power sword that became my default, and Skeletor was a pretty dang cool repaint. The thing here, is that when compared to all the amazing variants we now have on the table, these are just way too simple and boring. I would have just about ANY of the He-Man variants out there before bascially "He-Man, but in blue." Now if they wanted to throw out those wrist weapons as an extra in some pack or another (weapons pack or with another variant) then I wouldn't mind. We just don't need a simple recolor to get those wrist items when they could easily come with any of the good variants.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skystalker View Post
    It seems that many people are not keen on a classics version of Smash Blade He-Man and Spin Blade Skeletor. Is this due to the design of the figures or the fact that they were overpacked in the 200x series? The overpacking issue would not occur with this line. Just curious.
    Both I'd say. Those variants are also a grim reminder of how 200X tanked and why fans are so paranoid about variants now. 4 Smash Blade He-Mans to a box and 1 Orko and 1 Teela?

Many of the 200X variants were for moms and kids (Martial Arts He-Man?). The most liked variants out of 200X were the ones that fans saw on the show and were used in canon (200X He-Man, Ice Armor He-Man and Snake Armor He-Man).

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Both I'd say. Those variants are also a grim reminder of how 200X tanked and why fans are so paranoid about variants now. 4 Smash Blade He-Mans to a box and 1 Orko and 1 Teela?

Many of the 200X variants were for moms and kids (Martial Arts He-Man?). The most liked variants out of 200X were the ones that fans saw on the show and were used in canon (200X He-Man, Ice Armor He-Man and Snake Armor He-Man).
    Couldnt agree more, the fact they were nothing but bad repaints with 1 extra weapon and so over packed, still gives 200X fans nightmares.

At least the other "bad" variants, had more new parts and better themes.

But for me, the only 3 I want from the 200X line are the ones from the show that MgM listed. But i will not cry about the others if they are made.
    the ignore list is my new best friend

I actually liked the colors on these figures but the bad memories they revive combined with the fact that I'd not want to spend $30 (with the shipping) on a repaint figure with one extra weapon makes these plunge to the bottom of my own personal want list.

Both. The designs were too plain and their weapons were useless. SB Skeletor's repaint wasn't bad but it was not unique enough to warrant a variant.

The overpacking issue still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth about the whole 200X line. Don't get me wrong, I think they got a lot right but what they got wrong destroyed the line. The fact that I could walk into the toy section of a Wal-Mart in 2005 and still see those two variants on the shelves was adding insult to injury.

I always believed that if Mattel wanted a He-Man and Skeletor in every wave they could have simply short-packed the original He-Man and Skeletor for a couple of waves at a time.

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    I'd be cool with the idea if I could buy a ton of them for $5 each from KB Toys to customize like I did the originals.

But yeah, I echo the sentiments that have been expressed. Lack of imagination, symbolic of what helped kill the 200x line.
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

I actually like both of these variants and would be happy to see them in MOTUC. I think most of the comments about them are due to being over-packed at the stores back in the day and the 200x line ending shortly thereafter. Now that there is an internet-based toyline with MOTUC, it's a different situation. So, hopefully they get to both of these variants at some point.
    If you have a Queen Marlena cardback to sell, please let me know.

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=212100
    MOTUC for sale: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=212096
    200x for sale: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=213585
    I have a huge lot of Garbage Pail Kids (GPK) cards I'm also selling. PM me.

The colors for both were nice, but really they bring nothing to the table. They were straight up repaints w/ lame weapons especially in He-Man's case. They are completely unnecessary for MOTUC.

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogster View Post
    The colors for both were nice, but really they bring nothing to the table. They were straight up repaints w/ lame weapons especially in He-Man's case. They are completely unnecessary for MOTUC.
    Yeah. I liked the He-Man armor in a blueish tint. I'd gladly buy that individually.
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Adam's Dad View Post
    I'd be cool with the idea if I could buy a ton of them for $5 each from KB Toys to customize like I did the originals.

But yeah, I echo the sentiments that have been expressed. Lack of imagination, symbolic of what helped kill the 200x line.
    I got them for $1.00 each. I gave them away to every kid I could find.

They were poor designs and that's it for my why I don't want them. He-man with no changes in metalic blue...?

Why
    Click on Amazon or Barnes and Noble for a free sample of my first book, Paradigm Shift Saga: Malediction!

A short story of monsters and magic!

Yeah. I liked the He-Man armor in a blueish tint. I'd gladly buy that individually.

You know the Blue and Gold color combo was cool, it was just seeing 4 in a box, with both Teela and Orko missing about a 100 times, that made me loath them, but If they did get made. I would still keep it, but I might have the giants or shadowbeast eat for lunch
    the ignore list is my new best friend

No words an describe the loathing of these designs as well as disco Skeletor.......

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    don't want an entire self of just he-man/skeletor variants. a ready have enough. better just to pick out the best variants.
    spin blade & smash blade are just simple repaints with sucky weapons.
    would take up a monthly spot that could go to a more deserving variant.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogster View Post
    So, would anyone mind if we were to get the harnesses in these colours in a weapons pak? I think the Skeletor one wasn't a bad colour either, and if we get these in the pak, it makes it less likely we'll get the variants!
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

I love disco skeletor and eagerly await his induction into the classics line. As for the 200x line variants, i'd just like to see a wepaons pack that has armor and weapons form the variants. Itd be a great comprimise for the 200x fans(like myself) and not wasting space or figure slots with unneeded variants. Though itd be nice to be able to order he-man and skeletor once every 3 months or so.

Searching for this WORLD CLASS RESEARCH FACILITY I heard about.
    NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!!!!! I want new characters not a bunch of damn variants!!!! Everyone had their chance with the Toysrus line and it failed. ENOUGH!!!!!
    SKELETOR'S JOURNEY: You heard of Skeletor, Skeleteen and now Skelebaby? The saga of Skeletor's chronology to be continued in 2014. Stay tuned!!!

Since we aren't going to get Smash Blade He-Man in the line, I made my own.

"There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Meh. (Not to your custom; he's cool!) I wouldn't mind getting the armies in those colors or even the Smash/Spin Blades as accessories, but as for 200X variants, you can't beat Jungle Attack, Ice Armor, and Snake Armor He-Man figures! I want those!
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTU Minis 2015!!!

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mick4metal View Post
    NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!!!!! I want new characters not a bunch of damn variants!!!! Everyone had their chance with the Toysrus line and it failed. ENOUGH!!!!!
    Agreed. Now that the Toys'R'Us line is going away, the possible variants we might have seen in it like Filmation styled Hordak or whomever should be used in place of these silly 200x variants. I can't imagine a scenario where I'd want a Smash Blade He-Man or Smash Blade Skeletor. Only a few of the 200x variants are worth considering.

If it got to the point where Mattel was considering Smash Blade-ing the line, I'd rather have a Lou Schiemer MOTUC figure.

Evil Overlord of Spandex CptSpandex's Avatar
    Honestly, I think some of the He-Man and Skeletor variants from 200x would be kinda neat done up MOTUC style. Spin Blade Skeletor for sure. I also like Smash Blade He-Man and Ice Armor He-Man. And, of course, give me a Disco Skeletor anyday!

I'm a sick, sick man!

I think the SBH & SBS were more of the simpler repaints or variants from 200x. I like the colors on He-Man but not sure about the extra weapon. I actually really like the SBS. I really enjoy the colors and his blade shield. Some of the variants from the 200x line would be amazing in the Classsics line if just tweaked a little bit. Fire Armor Skeletor, MP He-Man-give him a different sword though. I just wasn't keen on the samurai selection on this one. Give me a Shield Strike He-Man or Stealth Armor He-Man if you will. Change up the shield-maybe smaller & put a color contrast sword w/ figure in both vintage & 200x style. I do agree that most not all variants were terrible or cheap looking. I.E. Toys R Us 2-pack, Snake Crush Skeletor, Snake Hunter He-man....As much as I'm a 200x fan I'd love to have a 200x He-Man, IAH,SAH for sure.