Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Toyguru Mattycollector.com MOTUC News Thread September 2011

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    New answers are up!

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    It doesn't *officially* exist unless it's used on-screen/on-panel in a cartoon/movie/comic/other official fiction. Stuff from a rejected pitch posted on a message board years later ain't canon.
    They've already mined unused MYP story concepts for the Classics canon, and they can just as easily do the same with MVCreations' bible. They already own that material, and since it belongs to Mattel that makes it more than fanfiction.

The reason (or lack of reason) for the restrictions doesn't matter, just that they existed. Hypotheticals don't matter either - there's no huge groundswell of support for this never-used Filmation concept, which is on the same basic level as Illumina, well below Shokoti, Shadow Weaver, et al.
    There's no question that Illumina isn't even close to the importance and popularity of somone like Shadow Weaver. But come on, she's far more popular than Catman. Mattel knows who Illumina is, which is more than can be said of some of the other D-listers. Toyguru had never even heard of Scrollos, and he had far more exposure than Illumina.

Stuff from a rejected pitch posted on a message board years later ain't canon.
    There is an internal MVC bible - that we used as reference when writing our OFFICIAL comic books - wich is not a pitch and was not rejected.
    There is no rejected pitch.
    We never pitched anything and nothing was ever rejected, I don't get why some of these incorrect informations are still floating around or used as arguments.

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Shokoti, while an awesome design and character, isn't more important than Illumina. Isn't Shokoti dead now? I have to re-watch that.

Kittrina isn't as well. She's a random cat lady, pretty much.

Illumina is a keeper of the secrets of Castle Grayskull. That's HUGE! She also trained Man-At-Arms with Dekker...also huge! Finally...trapped on the EVIL side of the mystic wall, with her cat being her only ally for many years? Pretty epic.
    That is ****ing ridiculous.

For one thing, point me to ANY official source on blue/cat-girl that doesn't amount to a nameless pin-up. Mattel ***REJECTED*** that pitch, which makes it fanfic. She's equivalent to potato-salad guy (hell, she doesn't even have an official *NAME*!)
    Just to make sure you see it...

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    There is an internal MVC bible - that we used as reference when writing our OFFICIAL comic books - wich is not a pitch and was not rejected.
    We never pitched anything and nothing was ever rejected, I don't get why some of these incorrect informations are still floating around or used as arguments.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Official enough for you?
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

Not sure I understand why Marvel doesn't own Toyguru's figure. I understand that if MATTEL owned it, or the name in this case, that Mattel could use it in other Mattel brands. But that's not what this person was asking. The question had to do with the image/design/name being owned by a company other than Mattel, because TG had submitted it to Marvel in the past.

Anyway...
    I'm glad that TG fixed it so that the 30th subs ship with the regular subs. Or am I misunderstanding him? They ship together in January??

Because, as has become popular, particularly in American culture, and because of the Internet, people don't think critically. People tend to use whatever facts necessary to win an argument, regardless of whether or not the facts can be substantiated.

I find it ironic that people who might argue against the possibility of Illumina becoming a figure are unaware of her history.

Why argue "for" or "against" if you don't know the facts?

Answer: because the facts don't matter to those people.

When facts don't matter, I assume the argument is REALLY about something OTHER than the disputed facts.
    Last edited by bcrduke; September 28, 2011 at 02:55pm.
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    I'm glad that TG fixed it so that the 30th subs ship with the regular subs. Or am I misunderstanding him? They ship together in January??

Because, as has become popular, particularly in American culture, and because of the Internet, people don't think critically. People tend to use whatever facts necessary to win an argument, regardless of whether or not the facts can be substantiated.

I find it ironic that people who might argue against the possibility of Illumina becoming a figure are unaware of her history.

Why argue "for" or "against" if you don't know the facts?

Answer: because the facts don't matter to those people.

When facts don't matter, I assume the argument is REALLY about something OTHER than the disputed facts.
    Stop that logic talk. I will not have that here
    the ignore list is my new best friend

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    New answers are up!
    Thanks MegaGearMax! I appreciate that you do this each month. I was curious. Would it be possible to put a small break in the thread when you update it, so we can see where we left off? Ala

--------------------------------------------

It's hardly a big deal. I was just curious. Either way. Thanks again!

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Oops. Sorry about that! Eliminating Illumina must have been part of the "new characters" embargo Mattel initiated later in the comics. It's sweet to hear that she IS in the MVC Bible. Man, I want to read that SO badly!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

As usual, your remark is lucid. Cheers!
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Oops. Sorry about that! Eliminating Illumina must have been part of the "new characters" embargo Mattel initiated later in the comics.
    Yep, that is correct.

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    When people openly admit their negative feelings toward a character are more about the character's supporters than the character itself, there really is no assuming necessary.
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

Make Prahvus please!! marndt8448's Avatar
    I suppose anything is possible. But we don't have one planned for release right now. It wouldn't be out of the question if fans really want one.
    Certainly an option. Maybe one day. Cool idea.
    As for Horde Prime, sorry, but we just can't comment past Thunder Punch He-Man. Lots of ways we could do him, how and when and if remains to be seen!
    Just think how much quieter it would have been around here if TG had just answered questions about Illumina like this, as soon as she was no longer "off the table".....

Anyway...
    That's the impression I got from that answer as well, but there have been so many answers regarding subs shipping that I don't want to get my hopes up.

Quote Originally Posted by mk476 View Post
    That's the impression I got from that answer as well, but there have been so many answers regarding subs shipping that I don't want to get my hopes up.
    Yes thats what he meant. Lots of people were requesting this in the Q&A's

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    Ok...So Im shocked! Tg has answered both of my Questions I posted this morning- Thanks TG!

Spector Question.
    HI TG, Ive come to Really appreciate the 'Spector' figure, Your enthusiasm in the Walkthrugh video for him is infectious.

But that said Ive pinpointed why I -and maybe others- have issues with him.

Its the 'Spade' on his chest plate, the symbol is so 'Terran' and it pulls me out of the 'MOTUverse' and into Super Hero territory.

It just seems that everytime I look at a picture of him,my eye is drawn straight to the spade...and not in a good way!

is there any chance it could be modified into a more unique 'eternian' design to symbolise him?

Cheers AJ

Just to throw it back, how is that different from He-Ro with an H or Bow with a heart?

Thunder Punch He Man -Vac Metal?
    Hi TG, I was just looking at the TP He Man pics from thundercon-He looks superb BTW- and I remembered that the vintage version had Vac Metal Silver on his armor and his Sheild was Vac Metal too.

will the MOTUC version have Vac Metal as well?

cheers A

(Personally Id prefer Silver Paint, and Hurricane Hordak seems to have been met with mixed response to the Vac feature so Im wary of it in MOTUC)

Terry is actually exploring this. We're still looking into it.
    I guess my only thought on the 1st response is that He-Ros 'H' is stylized, so its not as obvious. And Bows Heart in the old series was concealed in his chest til the button was pressed!

and in MOTUC Bow the heart is more literal...but it was given a switch out option!

Other than that

THANKS ToyGuru!
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

if he-ro hadn't existed back then and it had been TG's new character figure, people would have been throwing bananas out of the trees in rage over having a letter on his chest like a super hero.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Not sure I understand why Marvel doesn't own Toyguru's figure. I understand that if MATTEL owned it, or the name in this case, that Mattel could use it in other Mattel brands. But that's not what this person was asking. The question had to do with the image/design/name being owned by a company other than Mattel, because TG had submitted it to Marvel in the past.
    Joey Da Q threw it away?

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

The Mighty Spector is an all new character introduced into the 30th line. Of course no one was demanding him. No one knew about him before Power Con. He fills a slot in the 30th line as an all new figure. Illumina as an existing figure does not qualify as an all new figure for this sub line within MOTUC.
    Wait... So a character that has only basically had one drawn appearance, but has a devoted fan following and a bit of mystery attached to it doesn't qualify for the 30th subline then?

You may want to tell that to Fearless Photog.

Sallah

Quote Originally Posted by Sallah View Post
    Wait... So a character that has only basically had one drawn appearance, but has a devoted fan following and a bit of mystery attached to it doesn't qualify for the 30th subline then?

You may want to tell that to Fearless Photog.

Sallah
    Sometimes I have the impression that many folks just WANT to understand Scott wrong.
    Positivity, folks!
    Let´s all agree to love MOTU enough to let others love MOTU, too!

Evil Witch of Metternia Met-Hild's Avatar
    Just to throw it back, how is that different from He-Ro with an H or Bow with a heart?
    I actually took He-Ro's symbol not to be a letter but a two-ended arrow. Because it looks so similar to the symbol used for the consonant "H" in the western writing system, that's what we most readily interpret it as, but it might have no such meaning for Eternians.

And who knows, maybe ancient Eternians would have perceived the cross on He-Man's harness as a letter.
    The artist formerly known as Mechthild

Please check out my MOTU revision fan art, and fan fiction: Metternia bios and history & myths.

Now also on DeviantArt: http://osmatar.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Force View Post
    Sometimes I have the impression that many folks just WANT to understand Scott wrong.
    Not at all. I was at the Q & A and heard it straight from him. His rationale for not including Illumina as a possibility for the 30th line is discredited by the inclusion of Photog.

And don't get me wrong... I love Photog and I'm happy to get him. As cool as Illumina is, I'd actually rather have Photog. I just wish Scott wouldn't try and over explain things. It would have been much easier to just say "We're looking at Illumina. Maybe one day, but she's not coming this year". Don't even throw out the whole "not enough fans want her to warrant making her" or "she can't be included because she's not a new character" when both those statements can be refuted with examples from the line (i.e. zero existing demand for Spector, and the inclusion of pre-existing character Photog as a 30th figure).

Sallah

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I'd actually rather have Photog.
    I love Photog, but I can say I NEVER thought I'd hear those words spoken in my life.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

I love Photog, but I can say I NEVER thought I'd hear those words spoken in my life.
    Well, my wife's a photographer... So this is one that I think she'd get a kick out of.

Plus he rules.

Sallah

Not at all. I was at the Q & A and heard it straight from him. His rationale for not including Illumina as a possibility for the 30th line is discredited by the inclusion of Photog.

And don't get me wrong... I love Photog and I'm happy to get him. As cool as Illumina is, I'd actually rather have Photog. I just wish Scott wouldn't try and over explain things. It would have been much easier to just say "We're looking at Illumina. Maybe one day, but she's not coming this year". Don't even throw out the whole "not enough fans want her to warrant making her" or "she can't be included because she's not a new character" when both those statements can be refuted with examples from the line (i.e. zero existing demand for Spector, and the inclusion of pre-existing character Photog as a 30th figure).

Sallah
    The 30th Anniversary figures are supposed to be new figures that have never been done before so there WOULDN"T BE ANY FAN DEMAND for them. As far as Phhotog he won the contest 30 years ago and was never made by Mattel i think them bookending the anniversary line with the figure that won the contest thirty years ago and the winner from this contest was brilliant and i for one am glad they did it this way. Photog never apperared in any official media except being announced as the winning figure in the past contest.

Not at all.
    So I might have misunderstood you here as well. But to me it is that Fearless Photog qualifies for the 30th anniversary line because he already won this darn contest and his figure is overdue for 25 years now. Whereas Illumina wasn´t created for the contest nor specifically for the 30th subline, but to be a canon character, at least in MVC comics, thus qualifying for the regular line of figures.
    Last edited by DJ Force; September 29, 2011 at 12:35pm.
    Positivity, folks!
    Let´s all agree to love MOTU enough to let others love MOTU, too!