Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyguru Mattycollector.com MOTUC News Thread September 2011

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    If POP can get their filmation looks without any problem, why does MOTU need a different line in an "Animated style" to get their filmation looks?
    Don't ask me, I'm not the one arguing they're being consistent in any respect!

I want Filmation looks all round.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Illumina-gate continues! More answers are up! And so are Illumina Facebook pages!

But that first answer is surprising. You mean that Mattel actually gives a damn WHO gets made? I was under the impression that they didn't care about this line and that it was some side project.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Let me get this straight: Vikor, Demo-Man, Gygor, Shadow Weaver, etc. DID NOT push Ram Man, Frosta and Flogg back, but Illumina Can? Methinks someone is on the anti-illumina bandwagon... and I ain't speaking about the Mattel overlords...

Aren't subs guaranteed sales? So putting Illumina as the October figure (or as a large SKU with her Cat) on a Sub won't kill the sub sales.
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Illumina-gate continues! More answers are up! And so are Illumina Facebook pages!

But that first answer is surprising. You mean that Mattel actually gives a damn WHO gets made? I was under the impression that they didn't care about this line and that it was some side project.
    I'm sure they care from a financial standpoint when 10's of thousands of dollars are to be spent on tooling for a figure, even with parts reuse. So it's not that surprising. It's funny, because I'm a huge Illuminate fan and I joined the group, but I just wanted her on the table, and she is. I thought TG's answers were fair.

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Let me get this straight: Vikor, Demo-Man, Gygor, Shadow Weaver, etc. DID NOT push Ram Man, Frosta and Flogg back, but Illumina Can? Methinks someone is on the anti-illumina bandwagon... and I ain't speaking about the Mattel overlords...
    Shadow Weaver did and didn't (sub-exclusive'n'all - later Filmation figures will!), but the proto-based figures were presumably in the gameplan to start with and so didn't "push" any others, where Illumina was never planned.

Aren't subs guaranteed sales? So putting Illumina as the October figure (or as a large SKU with her Cat) on a Sub won't kill the sub sales.
    Yeah I am disappointed in TG on his reasoning during the Q&A, With any other fan request figure, his response is normally something like "Yes XXXXX is possible and would make a great figure, but I cant comment past YYYYY, but we could get to XXXXX sometime soon."

Yet he took it a few steps to far with Illumina. I am normally a big supporter of TG and what he does for the MOTUC line, but I can not make any excuses for his handling of the PR on Illumina. 5000 requests really? Even the most wanted figures in this line, have never gotten 5000 unique MOTU fans posting their wants for the figure.
    the ignore list is my new best friend

Of course they pushed them all back. I think the point was that Mattel felt these had enough of a "story" (history in the line) to warrant being made earlier.

TG addressed your latter question too. It really doesn't seem to be about no one wanting her, just a matter of how high on the list priority-wise she needs to be.

He also said he thought she was a cool design and wanted to see her made eventually too.

As an Illumina fan, I was totally happy after the Q&A.

What's going on here? Now it's not just 5,000 needed, but 5,000 that are willing to push her up at the expense of another figure? Since when do any of us have a say in who comes when?

Did any of you really want every other figure that came out already BEFORE your most favorite, currently unreleased, character?

Balls. Just...balls.
    Aaron
    PoP Variants are part of the vintage line, too! Starburst She-Ra, Shower Power Catra, and Scratchin' Sound Catra for 2015!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fball13z View Post
    Yeah I am disappointed in TG on his reasoning during the Q&A, With any other fan request figure, his response is normally something like "Yes XXXXX is possible and would make a great figure, but I cant comment past YYYYY, but we could get to XXXXX sometime soon."

Yet he took it a few steps to far with Illumina. I am normally a big supporter of TG and what he does for the MOTUC line, but I can not make any excuses for his handling of the PR on Illumina. 5000 requests really? Even the most wanted figures in this line, have never gotten 5000 unique MOTU fans posting their wants for the figure.
    The 5000 request to me wasn't about her being made but how soon they would make her. I figured in the roadmap she is scheduled for the last few years of the roadmap to move her up within the next few years she would need that type of support.
    Masters of the Universe Fan for Life

My Feedback:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...hlight=Jemabo2

I wonder how many vocal members are needed for Mattel to acknowledge the Star Sisters situation?

Sure, push back any of the 30th Anniversery figures. . .oh wait, he specifically rules them out knowing we aren't really craving any of them (and yes, I realize it would technically be too late to add her into that sub line) . . I think I'll customize an Illumina and have her chase Mighty Spector through time, killing him in each era display of my MOTU . Morty Spector now has an arch nemesis!!!

Oh man. Seriously? Are we all back in Kindergarten?
    Not to offend anybody, but this crucible against ToyGuru/Mattel/Mighty Spector, just because they are not going to make Illumina sooner than later, is so preposterous.
    Positivity, folks!
    Let´s all agree to love MOTU enough to let others love MOTU, too!

You guys never learn,TG likes to make surprises..you never know, Illumina could be revealed in 2012.He's just teasing us

Quote Originally Posted by labrat1881 View Post
    You guys never learn,TG likes to make surprises..you never know, Illumina could be revealed in 2012.He's just teasing us
    I would wet my pants laughing if this happened lol
    the ignore list is my new best friend

Quote Originally Posted by fball13z View Post
    I would wet my pants laughing if this happened lol
    I'd like a video of it when that happens

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Force View Post
    Well I did like to talk about He-Man back in Kindergarten so I'm feeling like the answer might be YES in this case

I personally don't care too much about Illumina but REALLY dislike the design of Spector so I'm going to keep running with my idea of Illumina chasing Spector through time "in my cannon". Pretty sure Molarr will be making some cameos in this side story as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Of course they pushed them all back. I think the point was that Mattel felt these had enough of a "story" (history in the line) to warrant being made earlier.

TG addressed your latter question too. It really doesn't seem to be about no one wanting her, just a matter of how high on the list priority-wise she needs to be.

He also said he thought she was a cool design and wanted to see her made eventually too.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMaBo2 View Post
    The 5000 request to me wasn't about her being made but how soon they would make her. I figured in the roadmap she is scheduled for the last few years of the roadmap to move her up within the next few years she would need that type of support.
    Yep, that's pretty much it...
    as cool as Ilumina is, I DO NOT want her before Ram-Man, Spikor, Two-Bad or even the Snakemen!!
    Por el Poder de Grayskull!!!...
    Ya tengo el poder!!

My Feedback thread!!

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post

Really? Because I felt the Illumina answers had a rather mocking tone to them. They repeatedly point out that there are just 50 people who are requesting her "over and over again," and that this number was reached as the result of some analysis that Mattel has performed. For the sake of argument, let's concede this. How many other figures have been subjected to this analysis as a precondition to their production?

And they throw the "it'll push back Ram Man" card, which unfortunately attempts to play up the fears of fans who worry that the line will end before Ram Man and other vintage favorites get their rightful release. This logic is faulty because characters are not being released in order of popularity. Popular characters are being staggered so as to prolong the line as long as possible. Otherwise, Ram Man would have been out a long time ago (100% tooling argument aside...).
    I'll lead you into danger
    And all that troubles man
    I'll lead you far from hunger
    Just take my frozen hand

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    It's hilarious that people are still surprised that they are getting jerked around by this line.
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

I asked the question at the panel after he talked about "testing" and "analysis."

Then he, without prompting, nervously and loudly proclaimed that it wasn't "bad blood" that keeps Illumina from being made.

He consistently, in interviews and panels, brings up issues/topics that are incendiary. It can sound confrontational. I was proud of myself and everyone else who asked him questions. We were extremely respectful and, save for one particularly odd JLU question, the questions were solid and to the point.

His boss likely wouldn't vote "no" on Illumina (if going to a boss for this specific a character approval is even truly a necessary step). A Mattel exec might cancel a figure if it were hypersexualized, or represented something controversial like racism or drug-use, but why would he/she disapprove of this character?

This situation is kind of ugly, and Scott apparently does not perceive that if he DID put Illumina on the schedule, he'd be the toast of the boards.

Instead, he refers to this entire community (the community that made the start of MOTUC such a huge success, and which continues to support the line, through thick or thin) as a sum total of "50, and some lurkers" (odd... Last week we were "250"). He then tells us to find "5000 unique buyers" who will commit to buying Illumina.

Even if we found 10,000 buyers, he knows we couldn't prove each buyer's true individual existence. We also couldn't guarantee their future payments. Most would already be subscribers, but how many subscribers are willing to offer up their subscription numbers to prove intent to buy?

This is a lost cause unless we go over his head and send a request to his "higher ups." apparently they are the ones who need to approve Illumina in the end.

He didn't address the exclusive idea. Con exclusives are usually more fan-specifically desired items.

Using the female buck, Teela boots, Teela bracers, BG Evil-Lyn cape, Battle Cat body, Panthor head, Griffin saddle, could make an exclusive "Power Con" 2-pack of Illumina and her steed very easy to use.

Heck, they could use Catra's or Jewelstar's pony tail too.

All they'd need is a new head, and a new tunic. Maybe not even a whole new tunic. They could use the BG Teela undies and give her a new bodice.

They should make a new spear, but they COULD use a recolored Spear of the Elders from the Goddess.

At the panel, when he responded to my follow-up question, I decided not to press by asking him:

"If you think that Illumina would push back characters like Dragstor, Ram Man, and Flutterina, does that mean that other characters like Fang Man, Lodar, etc wouldn't do the same? And does it matter that one figure pushes back another figure? They are pre-sold in a way. Is the line ending earlier than you keep saying it will end?"

I didn't press the issue because he was flustered and upset and it was unpleasantly uncomfortable.

I appreciate him being there, but he was in typical defensive mode and it baffles me that he doesn't seem to understand that a strong manager caters to his customer base.

He has no evidence to support that an Illumina figure would turn anger customers. He just has evidence that she's not as requested as Spikor, Frosta, Ram Man, Rattlor, Crita, etc.

I wish he would refrain from alienating the most loyal 250 of us... I mean 50. I say that in a nice way... In a warm way, that I hope it resonates with him. I would love to be able, as a life-long MOTUC fan, to buddy-up with this guy at cons. I was able up have a great conversation with designer, Terry Higuchi. (which was very interesting, by the way, because during it, I found that he was completely unaware of the Goddess breakages, and about how the plastic was, in fact breaking... In a manner he seemed to confirm was NOT the "joining process.").

I just wish Scott went the positive route and didn't play fast and loose with facts sometimes . He's a fun guy to nerd-around with.
    Last edited by bcrduke; September 26, 2011 at 04:29pm.
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

I'm privy to Mighty Spector's bio....

It says he killed Illumina!

Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    His boss likely wouldn't vote "no" on Illumina (if going to a boss for this specific a character approval is even truly a necessary step). A Mattel exec might cancel a figure if it were hypersexualized, or represented something controversial like racism or drug-use.
    That's what surprised me. I didn't think that his bosses cared who was made. A character was a character, whether it was Ram Man or Twistoid. Now if the Management are He-Man fans who know all of the characters, then it might be different.

Besides--doesn't the sub take care of popularity problems? Mattel could sell the worst MOTU characters thanks to that sub.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post

Besides--doesn't the sub take care of popularity problems? Mattel could sell the worst MOTU characters thanks to that sub.
    This was brought up at the panel, but he wouldn't budge on loud minority thing, same 10 people or something always asking for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    I'm privy to Mighty Spector's bio....

It says he killed Illumina!

Now no fibbing here! We already know who this Mighty Spector is. It's already in the bio! He will be the time traveling son of Skeletor and Evil Lyn, who's real name is Austin. Who is looking for his mojo! And since he can't find his own. he is going to steal his Father's!
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Force View Post
    Not to offend anybody, but this crucible against ToyGuru/Mattel/Mighty Spector, just because they are not going to make Illumina sooner than later, is so preposterous.
    Well, no. Spector is fugly and loathed by members of the fanbase.
    Illumina is beautiful and popular and wanted by members of the fanbase.

The two are mutually exclusive and yet one does have to wonder why the loathed is released and the loved is denied. That's the only connection.

Sorry if it perturbs you.
    Aaron
    PoP Variants are part of the vintage line, too! Starburst She-Ra, Shower Power Catra, and Scratchin' Sound Catra for 2015!!!